O'Reilly's Law of the Kitchen: Cleanliness is next to impossible

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Disposing of 'used' white spiritMike10
`* Re: Disposing of 'used' white spiritAndrew
 +* Re: Disposing of 'used' white spiritalan_m
 |`* Re: Disposing of 'used' white spiritAnimal
 | `- Re: Disposing of 'used' white spiritnewshound
 `* Re: Disposing of 'used' white spiritrick
  `- Re: Disposing of 'used' white spiritjon

1
Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit

<16e79eb865915da8$6$919266$4646d813@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49466&group=uk.d-i-y#49466

From: a7b94752...@example.com (Mike10)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:45:03 +0000
 by: Mike10 - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:45 UTC

It’s illegal to dispose of it down the drain or into the environment.Your local recycling centre should be able to dispose of it

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/disposing-of-used-white-spirit-1374854-.htm

Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit

<t3p6kb$1cnb$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49479&group=uk.d-i-y#49479

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:50:49 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:50 UTC

On 20/04/2022 14:45, Mike10 wrote:
> It’s illegal to dispose of it down the drain or into the
> environment.Your local recycling centre should be able to dispose of it

And anyone with a brain does not dispose of it, he/she pours it into
a suitable large glass container like an 800ml helmans glass jar
and when the solids have settled to the bottom, the supernatant
white spirit can be carefully poured off and re-used to wash out
future paint brushes .

When the solids have become a sticky mess they can be wiped out
with old newspaper and chucked in the normal rubbish bin.

Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit

<jcatd2Fpoh6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49523&group=uk.d-i-y#49523

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:15:14 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:15 UTC

On 20/04/2022 15:50, Andrew wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 14:45, Mike10 wrote:
>> It’s illegal to dispose of it down the drain or into the
>> environment.Your local recycling centre should be able to dispose of it
>>

> And anyone with a brain does not dispose of it, he/she pours it into
> a suitable large glass container like an 800ml helmans glass jar
> and when the solids have settled to the bottom, the supernatant
> white spirit can be carefully poured off and re-used to wash out
> future paint brushes .
>
> When the solids have become a sticky mess they can be wiped out
> with old newspaper and chucked in the normal rubbish bin.

Exactly what I do but some paints these days don't seem to settle out
unless left for months. I still use the top bit of of my settling white
spirit bottle as the pre-wash for brushes, and then a very little clean
spirit for the final wash.

Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit

<91940e06-0a9b-4133-8ce5-fa1f6cd160d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49578&group=uk.d-i-y#49578

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:38:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:38 UTC

On Wednesday, 20 April 2022 at 18:15:19 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 15:50, Andrew wrote:
> > On 20/04/2022 14:45, Mike10 wrote:
> >> It’s illegal to dispose of it down the drain or into the
> >> environment.Your local recycling centre should be able to dispose of it
> >>

> > And anyone with a brain does not dispose of it, he/she pours it into
> > a suitable large glass container like an 800ml helmans glass jar
> > and when the solids have settled to the bottom, the supernatant
> > white spirit can be carefully poured off and re-used to wash out
> > future paint brushes .
> >
> > When the solids have become a sticky mess they can be wiped out
> > with old newspaper and chucked in the normal rubbish bin.
> Exactly what I do but some paints these days don't seem to settle out
> unless left for months. I still use the top bit of of my settling white
> spirit bottle as the pre-wash for brushes, and then a very little clean
> spirit for the final wash.

the other option is use bottles to solar distill it.

Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit

<t3rgoj$r11$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49657&group=uk.d-i-y#49657

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:56:04 +0100
 by: newshound - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:56 UTC

On 21/04/2022 00:38, Animal wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 April 2022 at 18:15:19 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
>>>>

>>> And anyone with a brain does not dispose of it, he/she pours it into
>>> a suitable large glass container like an 800ml helmans glass jar
>>> and when the solids have settled to the bottom, the supernatant
>>> white spirit can be carefully poured off and re-used to wash out
>>> future paint brushes .
>>>
>>> When the solids have become a sticky mess they can be wiped out
>>> with old newspaper and chucked in the normal rubbish bin.
>> Exactly what I do but some paints these days don't seem to settle out
>> unless left for months. I still use the top bit of of my settling white
>> spirit bottle as the pre-wash for brushes, and then a very little clean
>> spirit for the final wash.
>
> the other option is use bottles to solar distill it.

If you are not "recycling", just leave it in something like an old
washing up bowl in the garden and it magically disappears.

Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit

<t4p93t$1fk8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51101&group=uk.d-i-y#51101

From: rick_hug...@_remove_btconnect.com (rick)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 19:45:34 +0100
 by: rick - Mon, 2 May 2022 18:45 UTC

On 20/04/2022 15:50, Andrew wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 14:45, Mike10 wrote:
>> It’s illegal to dispose of it down the drain or into the
>> environment.Your local recycling centre should be able to dispose of it
>>

> And anyone with a brain does not dispose of it, he/she pours it into
> a suitable large glass container like an 800ml helmans glass jar
> and when the solids have settled to the bottom, the supernatant
> white spirit can be carefully poured off and re-used to wash out
> future paint brushes .
>
> When the solids have become a sticky mess they can be wiped out
> with old newspaper and chucked in the normal rubbish bin.

Thats what I do

Re: Disposing of 'used' white spirit

<t4q7qk$a9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51133&group=uk.d-i-y#51133

From: jon...@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 03:33:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Tue, 3 May 2022 03:33 UTC

On Mon, 02 May 2022 19:45:34 +0100, rick wrote:

> On 20/04/2022 15:50, Andrew wrote:
>> On 20/04/2022 14:45, Mike10 wrote:
>>> It’s illegal to dispose of it down the drain or into the
>>> environment.Your local recycling centre should be able to dispose of
>>> it
>>>

>> And anyone with a brain does not dispose of it, he/she pours it into a
>> suitable large glass container like an 800ml helmans glass jar and when
>> the solids have settled to the bottom, the supernatant white spirit can
>> be carefully poured off and re-used to wash out future paint brushes .
>>
>> When the solids have become a sticky mess they can be wiped out with
>> old newspaper and chucked in the normal rubbish bin.
>

> Thats what I do

It will burn quite nicely.