You have many friends and very few living enemies.

aus+uk / uk.rec.audio / Re: Phono cable

SubjectAuthor
* Phono cableDave Plowman (News)
+- Re: Phono cableAdrian Caspersz
+* Re: Phono cablePhil Allison
|`* Re: Phono cableDave Plowman (News)
| +* Re: Phono cableDon Pearce
| |+- Re: Phono cableDon Pearce
| |`- Re: Phono cableDave Plowman (News)
| +* Re: Phono cablePhil Allison
| |`* Re: Phono cableDave Plowman (News)
| | `* Re: Phono cableDave Plowman (News)
| |  `* Re: Phono cableWoody
| |   `- Re: Phono cableDave Plowman (News)
| `* Re: Phono cableJim Lesurf
|  +* Re: Phono cableRJH
|  |`- Re: Phono cableJim Lesurf
|  `- Re: Phono cableDave Plowman (News)
+- Re: Phono cableBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`- Re: Phono cableJim Lesurf

1
Phono cable

<592f10599edave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=486&group=uk.rec.audio#486

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Phono cable
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 13:41:40 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 19 May 2021 12:41 UTC

Can anyone recommend a decent phono cable to buy a reel of? About 3mm
overall diameter would be nice, and with decent screening - perhaps
braided screen plus conductive plastic, and as flexible as possible.

Van Damm do appear to sell what looks to be decent in a twin, but costs
over 4 quid a metre for a 100 metre drum.

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Phono cable

<igm9lnFq6e5U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=487&group=uk.rec.audio#487

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: Phono cable
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 06:16:39 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 20 May 2021 05:16 UTC

> Can anyone recommend a decent phono cable to buy a reel of? About 3mm
> overall diameter would be nice, and with decent screening - perhaps
> braided screen plus conductive plastic, and as flexible as possible.

I just use the cheapies from CPC.

--
Adrian C

Re: Phono cable

<35dd1214-b1a6-4f0a-9a24-76b7b330b0f5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=488&group=uk.rec.audio#488

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 22:39:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Thu, 20 May 2021 05:39 UTC

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent phono cable to buy a reel of? About 3mm
> overall diameter would be nice, and with decent screening - perhaps
> braided screen plus conductive plastic, and as flexible as possible.

** Long ago ( like 40 years), I bought 25m of exactly what you described from Farnell.

Sold as "shielded audio cable - single core".
UK made IIRC.
Black in colour, 3mm OD, tightly braided with internal conductive plastic wrap.
Extremely flexible and very tough.

Used it to run a mono mix from my home hi-fi to the workshop.
Still using it now for a hand held switch to relay mute my audio pre-amp.

...... Phil

Re: Phono cable

<592f9a15e4dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=489&group=uk.rec.audio#489

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 14:46:06 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 20 May 2021 13:46 UTC

In article <35dd1214-b1a6-4f0a-9a24-76b7b330b0f5n@googlegroups.com>,
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > Can anyone recommend a decent phono cable to buy a reel of? About 3mm
> > overall diameter would be nice, and with decent screening - perhaps
> > braided screen plus conductive plastic, and as flexible as possible.

> ** Long ago ( like 40 years), I bought 25m of exactly what you described
> from Farnell.

> Sold as "shielded audio cable - single core". UK made IIRC. Black
> in colour, 3mm OD, tightly braided with internal conductive plastic
> wrap. Extremely flexible and very tough.

> Used it to run a mono mix from my home hi-fi to the workshop. Still
> using it now for a hand held switch to relay mute my audio pre-amp.

That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere. It's
not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to have it
anyway.

--
*How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Phono cable

<60a67130.106666078@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=490&group=uk.rec.audio#490

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 14:26:26 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Thu, 20 May 2021 14:26 UTC

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:46:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <35dd1214-b1a6-4f0a-9a24-76b7b330b0f5n@googlegroups.com>,
> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>> > Can anyone recommend a decent phono cable to buy a reel of? About 3mm
>> > overall diameter would be nice, and with decent screening - perhaps
>> > braided screen plus conductive plastic, and as flexible as possible.
>

>> ** Long ago ( like 40 years), I bought 25m of exactly what you described
>> from Farnell.
>
>> Sold as "shielded audio cable - single core". UK made IIRC. Black
>> in colour, 3mm OD, tightly braided with internal conductive plastic
>> wrap. Extremely flexible and very tough.
>
>> Used it to run a mono mix from my home hi-fi to the workshop. Still
>> using it now for a hand held switch to relay mute my audio pre-amp.
>

>That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere. It's
>not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to have it
>anyway.

This looks like the right thing, but it is about a quid a metre.

https://cpc.farnell.com/van-damme/268-013-020/instrument-cable-red-100m/dp/CB20525?fi=wp

Alternatively, if you don't mind losing the conductive plastic layer,
this one is very tightly screened at about 10p a metre

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/jy-1088/screened-audio-connection-cable/dp/CBBR4177

Re: Phono cable

<60a772a6.107040359@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=491&group=uk.rec.audio#491

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 14:31:41 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Thu, 20 May 2021 14:31 UTC

On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:26:26 GMT, spam@spam.com (Don Pearce) wrote:

>On Thu, 20 May 2021 14:46:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
><dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In article <35dd1214-b1a6-4f0a-9a24-76b7b330b0f5n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ** Long ago ( like 40 years), I bought 25m of exactly what you described
>>> from Farnell.
>>
>>> Sold as "shielded audio cable - single core". UK made IIRC. Black
>>> in colour, 3mm OD, tightly braided with internal conductive plastic
>>> wrap. Extremely flexible and very tough.
>>
>>> Used it to run a mono mix from my home hi-fi to the workshop. Still
>>> using it now for a hand held switch to relay mute my audio pre-amp.
>>

>>That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere. It's
>>not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to have it
>>anyway.
>
>This looks like the right thing, but it is about a quid a metre.
>
>https://cpc.farnell.com/van-damme/268-013-020/instrument-cable-red-100m/dp/CB20525?fi=wp
>
>Alternatively, if you don't mind losing the conductive plastic layer,
>this one is very tightly screened at about 10p a metre
>
>https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/jy-1088/screened-audio-connection-cable/dp/CBBR4177

Should have said - that second one has 97% screening, which is about
as good as you can get without a copper foil layer.

Re: Phono cable

<592fb11306dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=492&group=uk.rec.audio#492

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 18:57:12 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 20 May 2021 17:57 UTC

In article <60a67130.106666078@news.eternal-september.org>,
Don Pearce <spam@spam.com> wrote:
> >That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere. It's
> >not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to have it
> >anyway.

> This looks like the right thing, but it is about a quid a metre.

> https://cpc.farnell.com/van-damme/268-013-020/instrument-cable-red-100m/dp/CB20525?fi=wp

Lapped screen, not braided. And twice the diameter.

> Alternatively, if you don't mind losing the conductive plastic layer,
> this one is very tightly screened at about 10p a metre

> https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/jy-1088/screened-audio-connection-cable/dp/CBBR4177

*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Phono cable

<s87lvo$df2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=493&group=uk.rec.audio#493

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:03:14 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 21 May 2021 07:03 UTC

I guess it depends on whether you want to be able to drive a bus over it or
keep all vestiges of mobile phone galloping ghosts out really.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a decent phono cable to buy a reel of? About 3mm
> overall diameter would be nice, and with decent screening - perhaps
> braided screen plus conductive plastic, and as flexible as possible.
>
> Van Damm do appear to sell what looks to be decent in a twin, but costs
> over 4 quid a metre for a 100 metre drum.
>
> --
> *The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *
>
> Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Phono cable

<592f7ef617noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=494&group=uk.rec.audio#494

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 09:49:50 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Thu, 20 May 2021 08:49 UTC

In article <592f10599edave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a decent phono cable to buy a reel of? About 3mm
> overall diameter would be nice, and with decent screening - perhaps
> braided screen plus conductive plastic, and as flexible as possible.

> Van Damm do appear to sell what looks to be decent in a twin, but costs
> over 4 quid a metre for a 100 metre drum.

FWIW I have tended to use UHF/VHF coax when this is cheaper than the fancy
alternatives. I just use masking tape in a few places to bind two cables
together.

Alas some of the cables that CPC used to sell at sensible prices suddenly
became *far* more expensive when the makers realised they could get away
with it!

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Phono cable

<9f6342cf-93e8-42b6-9e19-0a91c4d4ace5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=495&group=uk.rec.audio#495

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 23:54:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 22 May 2021 06:54 UTC

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
-------------------------------------

> > > Can anyone recommend a decent phono cable to buy a reel of? About 3mm
> > > overall diameter would be nice, and with decent screening - perhaps
> > > braided screen plus conductive plastic, and as flexible as possible.
>

> > ** Long ago ( like 40 years), I bought 25m of exactly what you described
> > from Farnell.
>
> > Sold as "shielded audio cable - single core". UK made IIRC. Black
> > in colour, 3mm OD, tightly braided with internal conductive plastic
> > wrap. Extremely flexible and very tough.
>
> > Used it to run a mono mix from my home hi-fi to the workshop. Still
> > using it now for a hand held switch to relay mute my audio pre-amp.
>

> That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere. It's
> not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to have it
> anyway.

** This one is close:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/single-core-microphone-cable/2075335/?sra=pstk

25m for 16 pounds

...... Phil

Re: Phono cable

<5930024761noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=496&group=uk.rec.audio#496

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 09:44:10 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Fri, 21 May 2021 08:44 UTC

In article <592f9a15e4dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere. It's
> not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to have it
> anyway.

FWIW my main Audio system for decades used a couple of long runs - 8m and
5m - to connect one preamp to another and then back to the power amp. I
used old 'sparse screen' UHF coax that had a low capacitance/m to minimise
that causing roll-off at 20kHz. I also laid a 2-core mains cable alongside
both runs for most of the 5m parts. No sign of any interference or hum as a
result.

Admittedly, I had to use a main filter anyway because the 'middle' preamp
was/is a QUAD 34 which picks up every mains click via its PSB! About as bad
in this respect as my Nak where mains clicks used to reset its counter!
(now fixed.)

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Phono cable

<s8ano4$ev4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=497&group=uk.rec.audio#497

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 10:51:48 +0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 22 May 2021 10:51 UTC

On 21 May 2021 at 09:44:10 BST, "Jim Lesurf" <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <592f9a15e4dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
> <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere. It's
>> not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to have it
>> anyway.
>
> FWIW my main Audio system for decades used a couple of long runs - 8m and
> 5m - to connect one preamp to another and then back to the power amp. I
> used old 'sparse screen' UHF coax that had a low capacitance/m to minimise
> that causing roll-off at 20kHz. I also laid a 2-core mains cable alongside
> both runs for most of the 5m parts. No sign of any interference or hum as a
> result.
>
> Admittedly, I had to use a main filter anyway because the 'middle' preamp
> was/is a QUAD 34 which picks up every mains click via its PSB! About as bad
> in this respect as my Nak where mains clicks used to reset its counter!
> (now fixed.)

I've been using a 34 for a couple of years now, and never noticed any clicks .
This is a later (phono) version, and was checked a couple of years back by
Quad, if that makes a difference.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Phono cable

<593095e487dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=498&group=uk.rec.audio#498

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:36:32 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 22 May 2021 11:36 UTC

In article <9f6342cf-93e8-42b6-9e19-0a91c4d4ace5n@googlegroups.com>,
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> -------------------------------------

> > > ** Long ago ( like 40 years), I bought 25m of exactly what you described
> > > from Farnell.
> >
> > > Sold as "shielded audio cable - single core". UK made IIRC. Black
> > > in colour, 3mm OD, tightly braided with internal conductive plastic
> > > wrap. Extremely flexible and very tough.
> >
> > > Used it to run a mono mix from my home hi-fi to the workshop. Still
> > > using it now for a hand held switch to relay mute my audio pre-amp.
> >

> > That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere. It's
> > not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to have it
> > anyway.
> >

> ** This one is close:

> https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/single-core-microphone-cable/2075335/?sra=pstk

> 25m for 16 pounds

Thanks Phil - missed it when searching. Ordered up.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Phono cable

<59309606bfdave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=499&group=uk.rec.audio#499

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:37:58 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 22 May 2021 11:37 UTC

In article <5930024761noise@audiomisc.co.uk>,
Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <592f9a15e4dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
> <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere.
> > It's not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm to
> > have it anyway.

> FWIW my main Audio system for decades used a couple of long runs - 8m
> and 5m - to connect one preamp to another and then back to the power
> amp. I used old 'sparse screen' UHF coax that had a low capacitance/m to
> minimise that causing roll-off at 20kHz. I also laid a 2-core mains
> cable alongside both runs for most of the 5m parts. No sign of any
> interference or hum as a result.

> Admittedly, I had to use a main filter anyway because the 'middle'
> preamp was/is a QUAD 34 which picks up every mains click via its PSB!
> About as bad in this respect as my Nak where mains clicks used to reset
> its counter! (now fixed.)

The small size was a priority too in this case.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Phono cable

<593108da65noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=501&group=uk.rec.audio#501

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 09:32:11 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Sun, 23 May 2021 08:32 UTC

In article <s8ano4$ev4$1@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
wrote:

> I've been using a 34 for a couple of years now, and never noticed any
> clicks . This is a later (phono) version, and was checked a couple of
> years back by Quad, if that makes a difference.

I have two 34s. One a 'din' version, the other 'phono'. I can't recall what
board releases they are. But they both do it.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Phono cable

<5932b0f957dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=502&group=uk.rec.audio#502

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 14:44:44 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 26 May 2021 13:44 UTC

In article <593095e487dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <9f6342cf-93e8-42b6-9e19-0a91c4d4ace5n@googlegroups.com>,
> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > -------------------------------------

> > > That sounds very like the stuff I want. But can't find it anywhere.
> > > It's not often you need a top performing screen, but does no harm
> > > to have it anyway.
> > >

> > ** This one is close:

> > https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/single-core-microphone-cable/2075335/?sra=pstk

> > 25m for 16 pounds

> Thanks Phil - missed it when searching. Ordered up.

It arrived yesterday. Seems fine, but yet to try it. It is an absolute
bugger to strip, though. Very carefully cut the outer about 2" from an
end. Attempting to pull off the outer resulted in the screen braid
breaking. Seems it is primarily designed for rough service use in fire and
smoke, etc.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Phono cable

<s8loie$nuj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=503&group=uk.rec.audio#503

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 16:13:17 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 26 May 2021 15:13 UTC

On Wed 26/05/2021 14:44, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <593095e487dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <9f6342cf-93e8-42b6-9e19-0a91c4d4ace5n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>> -------------------------------------

>>> ** This one is close:
>
>>> https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/single-core-microphone-cable/2075335/?sra=pstk
>
>>> 25m for 16 pounds
>

>> Thanks Phil - missed it when searching. Ordered up.
>
> It arrived yesterday. Seems fine, but yet to try it. It is an absolute
> bugger to strip, though. Very carefully cut the outer about 2" from an
> end. Attempting to pull off the outer resulted in the screen braid
> breaking. Seems it is primarily designed for rough service use in fire and
> smoke, etc.

You should know better than that David! Cut round the outer although not
down to the screen, then run your (Stanley?) knife lengthways along the
piece to be removed from the round cut to the end. At the end cut
through the whole outer for about 5mm with the blade then either with
your nails or a pair of electronics cutters peel the outer back along
the lengthways cut splitting the cut in the process - comes off easily
with no damage to the screen or foil.

To get at the screen, push it back so that it bulges, then poke through
the side with a pair of pointed pliers just above the (now) end of the
outer and pull the inner through the hole. You will then have an intact
braid to use properly. The foil should come through with the inner and
you can just make the hole bigger and snip the foil.

Apologies if I am preaching to the already converted.

Re: Phono cable

<5932c2dc08dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=504&group=uk.rec.audio#504

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 18:00:05 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 26 May 2021 17:00 UTC

In article <s8loie$nuj$1@dont-email.me>,
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed 26/05/2021 14:44, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article <593095e487dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> > Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Thanks Phil - missed it when searching. Ordered up.
> >
> > It arrived yesterday. Seems fine, but yet to try it. It is an absolute
> > bugger to strip, though. Very carefully cut the outer about 2" from an
> > end. Attempting to pull off the outer resulted in the screen braid
> > breaking. Seems it is primarily designed for rough service use in fire and
> > smoke, etc.
> >

> You should know better than that David! Cut round the outer although not
> down to the screen, then run your (Stanley?) knife lengthways along the
> piece to be removed from the round cut to the end. At the end cut
> through the whole outer for about 5mm with the blade then either with
> your nails or a pair of electronics cutters peel the outer back along
> the lengthways cut splitting the cut in the process - comes off easily
> with no damage to the screen or foil.

The outer with this stuff is much tougher than the usual PVC. I assume to
be more heat resistant.

With most co-ax, the sleeve pulls off easily, without slitting it.

But yes, your way will likely be the only way.

> To get at the screen, push it back so that it bulges, then poke through
> the side with a pair of pointed pliers just above the (now) end of the
> outer and pull the inner through the hole. You will then have an intact
> braid to use properly. The foil should come through with the inner and
> you can just make the hole bigger and snip the foil.

> Apologies if I am preaching to the already converted.

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*