Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:42:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Building outdoor BBQ advice
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:42 UTC

Hi all

I have a block built BBQ and am looking to relocate/ rebuild it from the garden to back onto the house instead. The idea being that I could then run a chimney up the wall so that the smoke will be expelled at roof height and therefore not annoy the neighbours.

The whole thing will have its own block back (i.e. would not be using the existing house wall for the back) including the chimney itself. I have a few questions for the group
1. Are there any building regs / planning I need to worry about? It also has a sink and some cupboards if that matters
2. I was going to build the chimney out of concrete blocks and render / paint to match the house. I have read that thermalite type blocks aren't ideal outside as they are more difficult to render (I am not the best to start with!) and also they can cause the render to crack during frost. So assume regular breeze blocks will need to be used? What do you think?
3. Will I need to tie the chimney in to the house wall? The existing BBQ vents at about 3m above the ground is freestanding and has been no problem. So I know this bit Will be fine just worried about the new chimney bit - i.e on top of the existing so from roughly 3m to above the roof
4. How high above the roof should I take it?
5. What sort of weathering / fire protection do I need as it passes through the house roof? I was thinking of lead flashing for the weathering (I have some left over from original build) and the blocks would be enough to keep the smoke in?

Anything I have missed?

Thanks in advance for your help

Lee.