Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 03:52:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Near Miss of the Day 684: Punishment pass in Pimlico sees Jaguar
driver get fined
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:52 UTC

We’re off to Pimlico in central London today for our Near Miss of the Day video, with a Jaguar driver making a punishment pass on a cyclist then insisting he would do the same thing again – and apparently rejecting the offer of a driver awareness course and instead copping a fine plus points on his licence.

The incident, filmed by road.cc reader Silvio – who says on his Twitter bio that he was “was hit by a car in 2011 and started recording my journeys with a camera on my helmet” – and posted to his YouTube channel, happened in July on Belgrave Road.

In the description to the video on YouTube, Silvio said: “A Jaguar driver close passed me whilst having plenty of space to his right on what appeared to be a punishment close pass.

“I politely asked him to leave more space next time, and this could have ended right there with an apology.

“Instead he told me I was taking too much space on the road and that he would do it again.

“As you can see on the video he did not see anything wrong with using his vehicle to intimidate another road user and when confronted he said he would do it again.

“I reported this driver for close passing me, and also careless or inconsiderate driving. He was sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution by the police.

“It seems that either the driver refuse to do a self-improvement course or the police thought the offender did not deserve the usual course as it would not have reflected the seriousness of the incident.

“So, months later I had confirmation that the driver had points of his license and had to pay a fine instead. I hope this is a lesson for him and other drivers!

“Close passing a cyclist is an offence. This means that if you are driving too close to a cyclist, it is possible that you can receive a fixed penalty of 6 penalty points and a above £100.00 fine.

“If the case is brought before the court, careless driving can see you receive anywhere from 3-9 penalty points, a fine of between 50%-150% of your weekly income, or even a discretionary disqualification from driving.

“Let’s don’t forget that most close passes are also pointless as drivers do it only to get stuck in traffic a few seconds later,” he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-684-punishment-pass-pimlico-288963