Life exists for no known purpose.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / How did this email get to be delivered to me

SubjectAuthor
* How did this email get to be delivered to meHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: How did this email get to be delivered to meAndy Burns
|`* Re: How did this email get to be delivered to meBob Eager
| `* Re: How did this email get to be delivered to meJohn Rumm
|  `- Re: How did this email get to be delivered to meDave W
`- Re: How did this email get to be delivered to meMartin Brown

1
How did this email get to be delivered to me

<t3rnmv$p3h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49670&group=uk.d-i-y#49670

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: How did this email get to be delivered to me
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:54:38 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:54 UTC

See the item below, which is a translated version from the Chinese or
whatever original script. It doesn't seem to be any sort of scam or
phishing attempt, but I have these before. They don't seem to be email
addressed to me, that I can see, but yet they get delivered.

Important notice from au PAY au ID
Thank you for using your au ID mobile phone on a regular basis.
We have important information for our customers.
Click here to continue
====================
* Please note that you cannot reply to this address.
* If you have any questions, please contact the following window.
<Customers with au contracts>
■ Inquiries KDDI Customer Center ■
157 (free) without area code from au mobile phones
0077-7-111 (free) from landline
Reception hours: 9: 00-20: 00 (open all year round)
<Customers other than au contracts>
■ Inquiries KDDI Customer Center ■
https://www.au.com/cs/cs119/au_otoiawase/inquiry/

Translate this page

Re: How did this email get to be delivered to me

<jcd8o1F93bmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49678&group=uk.d-i-y#49678

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: How did this email get to be delivered to me
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:41:05 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:41 UTC

Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:

> They don't seem to be email addressed to me, that I can
> see, but yet they get delivered.

The "to:" and "from:" addresses you see in the email header don't have to be the
same as the "mail from:" and "rcpt to:" commands used to deliver the email.

Re: How did this email get to be delivered to me

<jcdaopFrbviU6@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49682&group=uk.d-i-y#49682

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Apr 2022 15:15:37 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:15 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:41:05 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>
>> They don't seem to be email addressed to me, that I can see, but yet
>> they get delivered.
>
> The "to:" and "from:" addresses you see in the email header don't have
> to be the same as the "mail from:" and "rcpt to:" commands used to
> deliver the email.

Yes, think of what goes with "Dear" and "Yours" inside.

What goes on the envelope need not match.

Re: How did this email get to be delivered to me

<t3s4d3$631$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49695&group=uk.d-i-y#49695

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 18:31:16 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:31 UTC

On 21/04/2022 16:15, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:41:05 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>>
>>> They don't seem to be email addressed to me, that I can see, but yet
>>> they get delivered.
>>
>> The "to:" and "from:" addresses you see in the email header don't have
>> to be the same as the "mail from:" and "rcpt to:" commands used to
>> deliver the email.
>
> Yes, think of what goes with "Dear" and "Yours" inside.
>
> What goes on the envelope need not match.

And its quite common when sending to multiple recipients to address it
"to" yourself or some other scratch email address, and then BCC each of
the recipients so that the people receiving it don't see the addresses
of the other recipients.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: How did this email get to be delivered to me

<r6q36h53a1nqoss0psksj5h50k3r1iv5n4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49734&group=uk.d-i-y#49734

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 00:32:57 +0100
 by: Dave W - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:32 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 18:31:16 +0100, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
>On 21/04/2022 16:15, Bob Eager wrote:

>>> The "to:" and "from:" addresses you see in the email header don't have
>>> to be the same as the "mail from:" and "rcpt to:" commands used to
>>> deliver the email.
>>
>> Yes, think of what goes with "Dear" and "Yours" inside.
>>
>> What goes on the envelope need not match.
>
>And its quite common when sending to multiple recipients to address it
>"to" yourself or some other scratch email address, and then BCC each of
>the recipients so that the people receiving it don't see the addresses
>of the other recipients.
You don't need to include yourself or a scratch address. There are
three people in my club whose email rejects bcc.
--
Dave W

Re: How did this email get to be delivered to me

<t3tnqa$14bb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49749&group=uk.d-i-y#49749

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:08:41 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 08:08 UTC

On 21/04/2022 14:54, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> See the item below, which is a translated version from the Chinese or
> whatever original script. It doesn't seem to be any sort of scam or
> phishing attempt, but I have these before. They don't seem to be email
> addressed to me, that I can see, but yet they get delivered.
>

> Important notice from au PAY au ID
> Thank you for using your au ID mobile phone on a regular basis.
> We have important information for our customers.
> Click here to continue
> ====================
> * Please note that you cannot reply to this address.
> * If you have any questions, please contact the following window.
> <Customers with au contracts>
> ■ Inquiries KDDI Customer Center ■
> 157 (free) without area code from au mobile phones
> 0077-7-111 (free) from landline
> Reception hours: 9: 00-20: 00 (open all year round)
> <Customers other than au contracts>
> ■ Inquiries KDDI Customer Center ■
> https://www.au.com/cs/cs119/au_otoiawase/inquiry/
>
> Translate this page

The spammers equivalent of BCC (could even be BBC'd).

It would be a lot easier to answer that question if you included full
headers with the post. I expect it has envelope-to pointed at you and
from/reply-to pointing at some poor unfortunate who gets any bounces.

Modern headers are voluminous and a surprising fraction contain various
SPF fails and error msgs of one sort or another.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown