aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Energy use monitor, current transformers.

SubjectAuthor
* Energy use monitor, current transformers.John Rumm
+* Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.Theo
|`- Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.John Rumm
+- Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.Michael Chare
+* Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.Sysadmin
|`- Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.Fredxx
`* Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.Clive Arthur
 `- Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.Andy Burns

1
Energy use monitor, current transformers.

<t3sa07$l4m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49708&group=uk.d-i-y#49708

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Energy use monitor, current transformers.
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:06:48 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:06 UTC

I was toying with building a multi channel current logger[1] that could
be used to instrument multiple circuits.

Has anyone used one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000680462559.html

If so, do you have dimensions for it?

Just wondering how difficult it would be to get a bunch of them into a
(reasonably large) CU. The only size I can see mentioned is for the hole
is specced at 13mm across.

[1] Perhaps an Arduino mega, with ethernet/wifi to get loads of analogue
inputs, and a capability to post logs every few seconds to a SQL
database running elsewhere on the network. Capacity for 16 channels
should cover all the circuits in both my CUs.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.

<OJg*S0gMy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49712&group=uk.d-i-y#49712

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.
Date: 21 Apr 2022 20:46:56 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:46 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

> I was toying with building a multi channel current logger[1] that could
> be used to instrument multiple circuits.
>
> Has anyone used one of these:
>
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000680462559.html
>
> If so, do you have dimensions for it?

Not that one specifically, but I have (somewhere) one of these:
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2150011.pdf
which is 51 x 44.5 x 36.5 mm if you include the protrusions.

Judging by the scale of the jack plug I imagine that one is similar.
.... ah, this has dimensions:
https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/100a-max-clip-on-current-sensor-ct/

> Just wondering how difficult it would be to get a bunch of them into a
> (reasonably large) CU. The only size I can see mentioned is for the hole
> is specced at 13mm across.

Probably doable. Or to tails outside.

> [1] Perhaps an Arduino mega, with ethernet/wifi to get loads of analogue
> inputs, and a capability to post logs every few seconds to a SQL
> database running elsewhere on the network. Capacity for 16 channels
> should cover all the circuits in both my CUs.

Worth having a poke around Openenergymonitor as you might find they already
make something to do what you want. Although 16 circuits might get a bit
much.

Theo

Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.

<t3spmb$8ma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49735&group=uk.d-i-y#49735

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 00:34:36 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:34 UTC

On 21/04/2022 20:46, Theo wrote:
> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
>>
>> I was toying with building a multi channel current logger[1] that could
>> be used to instrument multiple circuits.
>>
>> Has anyone used one of these:
>>
>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000680462559.html
>>
>> If so, do you have dimensions for it?
>
> Not that one specifically, but I have (somewhere) one of these:
> https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2150011.pdf
> which is 51 x 44.5 x 36.5 mm if you include the protrusions.

> Judging by the scale of the jack plug I imagine that one is similar.
> ... ah, this has dimensions:
> https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/100a-max-clip-on-current-sensor-ct/

Ah, well spotted, 57mm long by the looks of it - so quite large... might
be able to get them in at an angle - and stagger the height of adjacent
ones.

(I quite like that they are fully enclosed and are available in a
voltage output version)

>> Just wondering how difficult it would be to get a bunch of them into a
>> (reasonably large) CU. The only size I can see mentioned is for the hole
>> is specced at 13mm across.
>
> Probably doable. Or to tails outside.

I wanted to be able to record each circuit in isolation really (or at
least a number of them)...

Although one on the tails may be handy since I have one tall RCBO that
there is unlikely to be space to clamp - so calculating that as total -
others might do it.

>> [1] Perhaps an Arduino mega, with ethernet/wifi to get loads of analogue
>> inputs, and a capability to post logs every few seconds to a SQL
>> database running elsewhere on the network. Capacity for 16 channels
>> should cover all the circuits in both my CUs.
>
> Worth having a poke around Openenergymonitor as you might find they already
> make something to do what you want. Although 16 circuits might get a bit
> much.

Yup I did have a look at that - they did not have any off the shelf
designs that did more than a small number of channels.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.

<t3sqek$1rct$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49736&group=uk.d-i-y#49736

From: mUNDERSC...@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 00:47:32 +0100
 by: Michael Chare - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:47 UTC

On 21/04/2022 20:06, John Rumm wrote:

> I was toying with building a multi channel current logger[1] that could
> be used to instrument multiple circuits.
>
> Has anyone used one of these:
>
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000680462559.html
>
> If so, do you have dimensions for it?
>
> Just wondering how difficult it would be to get a bunch of them into a
> (reasonably large) CU. The only size I can see mentioned is for the hole
> is specced at 13mm across.
>

> [1] Perhaps an Arduino mega, with ethernet/wifi to get loads of analogue
> inputs, and a capability to post logs every few seconds to a SQL
> database running elsewhere on the network. Capacity for 16 channels
> should cover all the circuits in both my CUs.

You could try https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/components/

Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.

<t3tmbk$fps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49743&group=uk.d-i-y#49743

From: jon...@home.net (Sysadmin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 07:43:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Sysadmin - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 07:43 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:06:48 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

> I was toying with building a multi channel current logger[1] that could
> be used to instrument multiple circuits.
>
> Has anyone used one of these:
>
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000680462559.html
>
> If so, do you have dimensions for it?
>
> Just wondering how difficult it would be to get a bunch of them into a
> (reasonably large) CU. The only size I can see mentioned is for the hole
> is specced at 13mm across.
>

> [1] Perhaps an Arduino mega, with ethernet/wifi to get loads of analogue
> inputs, and a capability to post logs every few seconds to a SQL
> database running elsewhere on the network. Capacity for 16 channels
> should cover all the circuits in both my CUs.

You could wind your own current pickup on individual wires and calibrate.

Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.

<t3tp2e$agd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49751&group=uk.d-i-y#49751

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:30:05 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 08:30 UTC

On 22/04/2022 08:43, Sysadmin wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:06:48 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
>
>> I was toying with building a multi channel current logger[1] that could
>> be used to instrument multiple circuits.
>>
>> Has anyone used one of these:
>>
>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000680462559.html
>>
>> If so, do you have dimensions for it?
>>
>> Just wondering how difficult it would be to get a bunch of them into a
>> (reasonably large) CU. The only size I can see mentioned is for the hole
>> is specced at 13mm across.
>>

>> [1] Perhaps an Arduino mega, with ethernet/wifi to get loads of analogue
>> inputs, and a capability to post logs every few seconds to a SQL
>> database running elsewhere on the network. Capacity for 16 channels
>> should cover all the circuits in both my CUs.
>
> You could wind your own current pickup on individual wires and calibrate.

The ration of turns would be key. Hardly any need to calibrate. The
concerns would be the core material, saturation, leakage and bandwidth
to catch a spiky waveform.

Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.

<t3tu32$fah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49756&group=uk.d-i-y#49756

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:55:45 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:55 UTC

On 21/04/2022 20:06, John Rumm wrote:

> I was toying with building a multi channel current logger[1] that could
> be used to instrument multiple circuits.
>
> Has anyone used one of these:
>
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000680462559.html
>
> If so, do you have dimensions for it?
>
> Just wondering how difficult it would be to get a bunch of them into a
> (reasonably large) CU. The only size I can see mentioned is for the hole
> is specced at 13mm across.
>

> [1] Perhaps an Arduino mega, with ethernet/wifi to get loads of analogue
> inputs, and a capability to post logs every few seconds to a SQL
> database running elsewhere on the network. Capacity for 16 channels
> should cover all the circuits in both my CUs.

You might find Rogowski coils convenient.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Energy use monitor, current transformers.

<jcfeakFlpamU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49757&group=uk.d-i-y#49757

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:28:34 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:28 UTC

Clive Arthur wrote:

> You might find Rogowski coils convenient.

They were one of the reasons given for the inaccurate readings by some meters in
that Dutch university study a few years ago ...

<https://www.beama.org.uk/news/beama-response-to-ieee-article-on-accuracy-of-dutch-electricity-meters.html>

Maybe the affected meters weren't using them properly?