When you're in command, command. -- Admiral Nimitz

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from Gallery

SubjectAuthor
* OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from GalleryMurmansk
+- Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from GalleryDave Plowman (News)
+- Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from Galleryalan_m
`* Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from GalleryPamela
 `- Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from GalleryMurmansk

1
OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from Gallery

<cdc0990c-14c1-4f27-881f-fc56cdab1690n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49448&group=uk.d-i-y#49448

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from Gallery
From: stainb...@gmail.com (Murmansk)
 by: Murmansk - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:42 UTC

I've got an Android phone, Samsung M31 and store photos on the SD card and access them through the Gallery app that came with the phone

A few months ago most of the photos disappeared from the Gallery (but were still accessible via Google Photos) and now this has happened again.

I've not come across this syndrome before, is it a feature of Samsung phones as this is the first one I've had for years?

One concern is that the pictures on Google Photos are probably much lower resolution than those that were on the SD card.

Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from Gallery

<59dc1f8aa8dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49471&group=uk.d-i-y#49471

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:50:39 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:50 UTC

In article <cdc0990c-14c1-4f27-881f-fc56cdab1690n@googlegroups.com>,
Murmansk <stainburn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got an Android phone, Samsung M31 and store photos on the SD card
> and access them through the Gallery app that came with the phone

> A few months ago most of the photos disappeared from the Gallery (but
> were still accessible via Google Photos) and now this has happened
> again.

> I've not come across this syndrome before, is it a feature of Samsung
> phones as this is the first one I've had for years?

> One concern is that the pictures on Google Photos are probably much
> lower resolution than those that were on the SD card.

I use My Phone Explorer. Allows me to download (cable, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth)
pics etc to my HD. And lots else - much better IMHO than the Samsung app.
You could, of course, put them on any cloud you want. I also use it to
send SMS if at the PC. Much easier with a proper keyboard.

This is my second Samsung. Not had any pics disappear.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from Gallery

<jcaqb6Fp6q5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49499&group=uk.d-i-y#49499

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:23:02 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:23 UTC

On 20/04/2022 11:42, Murmansk wrote:
> I've got an Android phone, Samsung M31 and store photos on the SD card and access them through the Gallery app that came with the phone
>
> A few months ago most of the photos disappeared from the Gallery (but were still accessible via Google Photos) and now this has happened again.
>
> I've not come across this syndrome before, is it a feature of Samsung phones as this is the first one I've had for years?
>
> One concern is that the pictures on Google Photos are probably much lower resolution than those that were on the SD card.

Have you tried taking the SD card out of the phone, putting the card in
a adapter (or SD card slot on some laptops) and checking what's in the
photo folder/directory.

If its photos being taken by the phone they probably are in the
folder/directory
DCIM/Camera

It may be that the Gallery App is playing up rather than the photos
being deleted.

If you are familiar with FTP perhaps put a FTP client on the phone
(SwiftFTP) and use a FTP program on your computer to access the contents
of the SD card.

Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from Gallery

<XnsAE80814ACA45137B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49648&group=uk.d-i-y#49648

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:42:35 +0100
 by: Pamela - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:42 UTC

On 11:42 20 Apr 2022, Murmansk said:

> I've got an Android phone, Samsung M31 and store photos on the SD
> card and access them through the Gallery app that came with the phone
>
> A few months ago most of the photos disappeared from the Gallery (but
> were still accessible via Google Photos) and now this has happened
> again.
>
> I've not come across this syndrome before, is it a feature of Samsung
> phones as this is the first one I've had for years?
>
> One concern is that the pictures on Google Photos are probably much
> lower resolution than those that were on the SD card.

If the option is set, Google Photos on your phone will automatically
upload photos in the background to Google's cloud. From time to time
utilties on the phone, such as Google Files, will pop up with an offer
to create space on the phone which often includes an option to delete
your local photo files leaving just the cloud photos. Perhaps this
happened to you.

Unfortunately you can't tell where a photo is stored from the Google
Photos app. However you can download the photo again to your phone by
signing in to Google Photos on a PC browser but I don't recall the
exact steps.

On the free cloud storage service Google now applies compression when
storing in the cloud, although last time I checked it was remarkably
little. You were able to disable this in exchange for Google providing
less cloud storage but Google keeps modifying the rules. See:

https://blog.google/products/photos/4-things-know-about-google-photos-st
orage-policy-change/

Once this is all working, you can choose to completely disable Google
Photos on your phone. Alternatively you can ask it not to upload in the
background. I also disable any file cleaning utilities and would never
accept their suggestions to remove downloads, duplicate files, unused
files, etc as I would lose important data.

Re: OT Android phone, photos suddenly disappear from Gallery

<976b10dd-b813-47b5-8669-016cd1fb0544n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49799&group=uk.d-i-y#49799

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:50:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: stainb...@gmail.com (Murmansk)
 by: Murmansk - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:50 UTC

Thanks for those replies all, they've given me some good ideas to think about