The problem with graduate students, in general, is that they have to sleep every few days.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Something bleached my trousers

SubjectAuthor
* Something bleached my trousersBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Something bleached my trousersChris Hogg
|+- Re: Something bleached my trousersRod Speed
|`* Re: Something bleached my trousersalan_m
| +- Re: Something bleached my trousersalan_m
| `- Re: Something bleached my trousersBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+- Re: Something bleached my trousersjkn
+* Re: Something bleached my trousersHarry Bloomfield Esq
|`- Re: Something bleached my trousersnewshound
+- Re: Something bleached my trousersScott
+* Re: Something bleached my trousersR D S
|+- Re: Something bleached my trousersHarry Bloomfield Esq
|+- Re: Something bleached my trousersBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`- Re: Something bleached my trousersAndrew
`* Re: Something bleached my trousersGraeme
 `* Re: Something bleached my trousersJock
  `- Re: Something bleached my trousersBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

1
Something bleached my trousers

<t3ocrr$q4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49419&group=uk.d-i-y#49419

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Something bleached my trousers
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:31:04 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:31 UTC

During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something got
on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy
blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously
Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to
find a bottle of washing up liquid.
The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those bits to
make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
needed.
I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be able
to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<l8ev5hphhfiei82uvdrssqc4k3eka1u26a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49421&group=uk.d-i-y#49421

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Something bleached my trousers
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:43:25 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:43 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:31:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something got
>on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy
>blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously
>Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to
>find a bottle of washing up liquid.
> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those bits to
>make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
>needed.
> I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be able
>to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.
> Brian

Dylon do a whole range of fabric dyes that are easy to use and
washproof. See https://tinyurl.com/yyo2gjr5

--
Chris

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<24d9211b-6399-4f6b-a168-1cca1e93caa3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49425&group=uk.d-i-y#49425

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 01:00:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:00 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 8:31:12 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something got
> on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy
> blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously
> Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to
> find a bottle of washing up liquid.
> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those bits to
> make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
> needed.
> I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be able
> to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.
> Brian

Hi Brian
you can get fabric pens in may different colours these days - typically
you iron over them at a high heat before washing. Children use them
for T-shirt designs, etc.

They are a lot better than they used to be but tend to only come in
(fairly expensive) sets, you might have trouble finding a single navy blue one.
No idea how good the colour match will be. I assume the trousers are cotton
or similar natural fabric?

Regards, Jon N

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<t3oekg$6e6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49426&group=uk.d-i-y#49426

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:01:19 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:01 UTC

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote on 20/04/2022 :
> During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something got
> on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy
> blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously Cannot
> see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to find a
> bottle of washing up liquid.
> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those bits to
> make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
> needed.
> I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be able
> to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.

If they are small specks - would permanent marker cover them?

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<prhv5hlho8bt1ion3jid1qf5kkr1cs01ue@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49430&group=uk.d-i-y#49430

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:44:32 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:44 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:31:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something got
>on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy
>blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously
>Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to
>find a bottle of washing up liquid.
> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those bits to
>make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
>needed.
> I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be able
>to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.

What about just dyeing the trousers by soaking them overnight? Is
there a fixer available? They used to say you should soak them in
salt water..

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<op.1kw2ftggbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49434&group=uk.d-i-y#49434

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:10:31 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:10 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:43:25 +1000, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:31:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something
>> got
>> on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the
>> navy
>> blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously
>> Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try
>> find a bottle of washing up liquid.
>> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those
>> bits to
>> make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of
>> trousers
>> needed.
>> I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be
>> able
>> to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.
>> Brian
>
> Dylon do a whole range of fabric dyes that are easy to use and
> washproof. See https://tinyurl.com/yyo2gjr5

But it is less clear how well they work with spotty starting cloth.

Tho I spose if the alternative is new trousers, worth trying.

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<jca1g2FkdkdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49440&group=uk.d-i-y#49440

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:18:58 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:18 UTC

On 20/04/2022 08:43, Chris Hogg wrote:

> Dylon do a whole range of fabric dyes that are easy to use and
> washproof. See https://tinyurl.com/yyo2gjr5

Often the problem with using such products is that they will change the
colour if everything is a uniform colour in the first place. In this
case if splashes of bleach have changed the original colour then after
using the dye the lighter contaminated patches may still be seen.

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<jca1ouFkgd2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49441&group=uk.d-i-y#49441

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:23:42 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:23 UTC

On 20/04/2022 10:18, alan_m wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 08:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
>

>> Dylon do a whole range of fabric dyes that are easy to use and
>> washproof. See https://tinyurl.com/yyo2gjr5
>>

> Often the problem with using such products is that they will change the
> colour if everything is a uniform colour in the first place. In this
> case if splashes of bleach have changed the original colour then after
> using the dye the lighter contaminated patches may still be seen.

Also, while the material may be cotton the stitching tread may be
synthetic or a mix of materials and come out a different colour, that's
if the tread will accept the dye at all.

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<t3ol7d$l5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49443&group=uk.d-i-y#49443

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:53:49 +0100
 by: newshound - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:53 UTC

On 20/04/2022 09:01, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote on 20/04/2022 :
>> During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of
>> something got on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently
>> removed the navy blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have
>> been, as obviously Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in
>> a cupboard to try to find a bottle of washing up liquid.
>>  The question is are there any ways  I might be able to re dye those
>> bits to make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair
>> of trousers needed.
>>  I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might
>> be able to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being
>> washed.
>
> If they are small specks - would permanent marker cover them?

That would be my approach, rather than the time and effort of mass dyeing.

As to the cause, sounds like traditional bleach to me.

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<t3pd3o$10u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49506&group=uk.d-i-y#49506

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (R D S)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:41:28 +0100
 by: R D S - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:41 UTC

On 20/04/2022 08:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something got
> on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy
> blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously
> Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to
> find a bottle of washing up liquid.
> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those bits to
> make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
> needed.
> I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be able
> to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.
> Brian

Pretend you are making a fashion statement, rip some holes in them too.

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<t3pe15$9hk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49513&group=uk.d-i-y#49513

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:57:09 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:57 UTC

R D S formulated on Wednesday :
> Pretend you are making a fashion statement, rip some holes in them too.

and comb your hair so it sticks up vertically :-)

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<t3r0bt$893$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49606&group=uk.d-i-y#49606

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:16:09 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:16 UTC

Would you not attempt to just do the area around the splashes, the small
variation in saturation would not be seen unless you were up close, but the
large contrast now is probably drawing the eye to the area. I'm not looking
for perfection here.

"alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 20/04/2022 08:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
>

>> Dylon do a whole range of fabric dyes that are easy to use and
>> washproof. See https://tinyurl.com/yyo2gjr5
>>

> Often the problem with using such products is that they will change the
> colour if everything is a uniform colour in the first place. In this case
> if splashes of bleach have changed the original colour then after using
> the dye the lighter contaminated patches may still be seen.
>
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<t3r0nq$amj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49608&group=uk.d-i-y#49608

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:22:30 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:22 UTC

Yes that has been suggested by somebody else. I guess I could just go down
the Chessington World of Adventure and get the chimps there to dye them
randomly, but there is no guarantee I'd get them back in one piece of
course.

"R D S" <rsandr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 20/04/2022 08:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something
>> got
>> on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy
>> blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously
>> Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to
>> find a bottle of washing up liquid.
>> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those
>> bits to
>> make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
>> needed.
>> I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be
>> able
>> to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.
>> Brian
>>

> Pretend you are making a fashion statement, rip some holes in them too.

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<t3rgeo$khn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49655&group=uk.d-i-y#49655

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:50:47 +0100
 by: Andrew - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:50 UTC

On 20/04/2022 17:41, R D S wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 08:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>>   During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of
>> something got
>> on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy
>> blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously
>> Cannot  see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to
>> find a bottle of washing up liquid.
>>   The question is are there any ways  I might be able to re dye those
>> bits to
>> make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
>> needed.
>>   I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might
>> be able
>> to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed.
>>   Brian
>>

> Pretend you are making a fashion statement, rip some holes in them too.

Donate them to the V&A. The "inside the museum" series on BBC2
suggests that they have a huge collection of celeb-donated tat.

Or use them for DIY /gardening, or chuck them out in a charity
collection bag.

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<0sP9mwAiKnYiFwGv@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49753&group=uk.d-i-y#49753

From: New...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:17:22 +0100
 by: Graeme - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:17 UTC

In message <t3ocrr$q4g$1@dont-email.me>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those bits to
>make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers
>needed.

My wife had that problem recently, with a favourite pair of black around
the house/walking the dog trousers, so she used a small pack of Dylon
dye which cured the problem. Light spots, probably bleach splashes when
cleaning a toilet.
--
Graeme

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<op.1k1htdesc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49796&group=uk.d-i-y#49796

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 04:33:03 +1000
 by: Jock - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:33 UTC

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 19:17:22 +1000, Graeme <News@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <t3ocrr$q4g$1@dont-email.me>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
>> The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those
>> bits to
>> make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of
>> trousers
>> needed.
>
> My wife had that problem recently, with a favourite pair of black around
> the house/walking the dog trousers, so she used a small pack of Dylon
> dye which cured the problem. Light spots, probably bleach splashes when
> cleaning a toilet.

It's easier with black tho.

Re: Something bleached my trousers

<t409lk$hr2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49823&group=uk.d-i-y#49823

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 08:25:35 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 07:25 UTC

Even though I've had them through the wash since, my sighted friends are
saying the area is still growing and turning pink around the edges. Maybe
its the Aliens?

I did not clean the toilet with them on, I have a cleaner who does that or
the carpet there would be in the same state by now.