Love isn't only blind, it's also deaf, dumb, and stupid.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

SubjectAuthor
* Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Sysadmin
+- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Jeff Gaines
+* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Andrew
|+* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Sysadmin
||+* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Peter Johnson
|||+- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Robert
|||+* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Jeff Gaines
|||`* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?JNugent
||| `* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Jeff Gaines
|||  `* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?JNugent
|||   `* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Jeff Gaines
|||    `* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?JNugent
|||     `* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Jeff Gaines
|||      `* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?JNugent
|||       +* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Jeff Gaines
|||       |`- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?JNugent
|||       `* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Rod Speed
|||        `- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?JNugent
||+- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Andrew
||`- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?newshound
|`- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Andy Burns
+* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Clive Arthur
|`* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Sysadmin
| +- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Andy Burns
| +- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?alan_m
| `- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?JNugent
+- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?williamwright
+- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Clive Page
`* Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?Brian
 `- Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?JNugent

Pages:12
Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<jce6g7FekpqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49730&group=uk.d-i-y#49730

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 00:08:55 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:08 UTC

On 21/04/2022 10:35 pm, Jeff Gaines wrote:

>>> If you hold a valid passport there is a very quick turn round. It's
>>> when you don't the wait starts.
>
>> Yes... but why should it?
>> Is the DVLA run for the benefit of the population at large or just for
>> the benefit of those who happen to have jobs there?
>
> It happens because the process links to your passport picture, perhaps
> t's fully automated?

That cannot be "the process".

It can only be *a* process.

Not every licenced driver has an up-to-date passport (if they have one
at all). But they need the licence in order to be allowed to drive
legally. So "the process" has primarily to be one that responds to
written applications (as it always did until recently).

> The DVLA is run by today's equivalent of Red Robbo for his grandisement,
> I think its an external agency so should be relieved of its contract and
> replaced.

It isn't an external agency. It is a branch of the civil service.

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<xn0ngwyy3c8qmgy00u@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49742&group=uk.d-i-y#49742

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Apr 2022 07:39:26 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 07:39 UTC

On 22/04/2022 in message <jce6g7FekpqU1@mid.individual.net> JNugent wrote:

>>>Yes... but why should it?
>>>Is the DVLA run for the benefit of the population at large or just for
>>>the benefit of those who happen to have jobs there?
>>
>>It happens because the process links to your passport picture, perhaps
>>t's fully automated?
>
>That cannot be "the process".
>
>It can only be a process.

It's "the" process for issuing licences.

>Not every licenced driver has an up-to-date passport (if they have one at
>all). But they need the licence in order to be allowed to drive legally.
>So "the process" has primarily to be one that responds to written
>applications (as it always did until recently).

That's right, I don't have a passport any more, see my comments about Red
Robbo.

>>The DVLA is run by today's equivalent of Red Robbo for his grandisement,
>>I think its an external agency so should be relieved of its contract and
>>replaced.
>
>It isn't an external agency. It is a branch of the civil service.

So it's civil servants enjoying a Covid holiday at our expense.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<jcflibFn48bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49763&group=uk.d-i-y#49763

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:32:11 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:32 UTC

On 22/04/2022 08:39 am, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 22/04/2022 in message <jce6g7FekpqU1@mid.individual.net> JNugent wrote:

>>> It happens because the process links to your passport picture,
>>> perhaps t's fully automated?
>>
>> That cannot be "the process".
>>
>> It can only be a process.
>
> It's "the" process for issuing licences.

It can't be. Not everyone has a passport.

>> Not every licenced driver has an up-to-date passport (if they have one
>> at all). But they need the licence in order to be allowed to drive
>> legally. So "the process" has primarily to be one that responds to
>> written applications (as it always did until recently).
>
> That's right, I don't have a passport any more,  see my comments about
> Red Robbo.

So "the" system doesn't apply to you.

It cannot be the system. At best it can be one of several systems.

>>> The DVLA is run by today's equivalent of Red Robbo for his
>>> grandisement, I think its an external agency so should be relieved of
>>> its contract and replaced.
>
>> It isn't an external agency. It is a branch of the civil service.
>
> So it's civil servants enjoying a Covid holiday at our expense.

It would appear that some of the recent criticism of departments - for
not ensuring sufficient attendance to provide the required service for
the public - is well justified.

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<WhhtihBtQqYiFwTI@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49769&group=uk.d-i-y#49769

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:48:45 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:48 UTC

In message <xn0ngurzda7xn8r00p@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On 20/04/2022 in message <bu1ehEI$EHYiFwC1@brattleho.plus.com> Ian
>Jackson wrote:
>
>>>Yep, I tried to use an expired passport too without success :-(
>>>
>>The one that had expired had actually never been used, and as I have
>>my doubts if I'll ever be going abroad again, I'm debating as to
>>whether I should get a new one. On the other hand, the way things are
>>developing in the UK it seems that an increasing number of
>>organisations need or prefer a passport as an ID document (for all
>>sorts of reasons, eg three-yearly driving licence renewal), so I'm
>>wondering if I should simply get one for the occasional convenience it
>>might provide. [My wife's passport expires in a couple of months, so
>>the same applies to her. On the other hand, at £75.50 each, is it really worth it?]
>
>It's worth thinking about, £75 over ten years doesn't sound so bad?
>
>The real issue with driving licences is the commie union man who seems
>to run the place.

Yes - you might be right about the cost, when you realise that the
'passport' now serves more functions than simply the ability to travel
abroad 'without let or hindrance'.
--
Ian

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<xn0ngx7y5ckwmzm00x@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49776&group=uk.d-i-y#49776

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Apr 2022 13:20:02 GMT
References: <t3p5s7$uj3$1@dont-email.me> <t3p6bu$1cnb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t3p6ld$5k0$1@dont-email.me> <9ja06h1usmt2mgpnt6e2tp3np0u57378q6@4ax.com> <jcbqh1FjkaU2@mid.individual.net> <xn0ngvkg9atejzb00q@news.individual.net> <jcdnjvFbr47U4@mid.individual.net> <xn0ngw6edbn5m8j00s@news.individual.net> <jce6g7FekpqU1@mid.individual.net> <xn0ngwyy3c8qmgy00u@news.individual.net> <jcflibFn48bU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:20 UTC

On 22/04/2022 in message <jcflibFn48bU1@mid.individual.net> JNugent wrote:

>It cannot be the system. At best it can be one of several systems.

I really can't be arsed to get invoked in the pedantic drivel that you
display on the legal group and moderation group. What I said is perfectly
clear, if you can't understand it then you have a problem.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<jcfuelFonnhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49787&group=uk.d-i-y#49787

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:03:49 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:03 UTC

On 22/04/2022 02:20 pm, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> JNugent wrote:

>> It cannot be the system. At best it can be one of several systems.

> I really can't be arsed to get invoked in the pedantic drivel that you
> display on the legal group and moderation group. What I said is
> perfectly clear, if you can't understand it then you have a problem.

"The system" implies that there is only one system.

"A system" implies that it is merely one of several systems (and there
is more than one).

It really couldn't be more straightforward.

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<op.1k1il0agbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49798&group=uk.d-i-y#49798

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 04:50:14 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:50 UTC

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:32:11 +1000, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> On 22/04/2022 08:39 am, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> On 22/04/2022 in message <jce6g7FekpqU1@mid.individual.net> JNugent
>> wrote:

>>> That cannot be "the process".
>>>
>>> It can only be a process.
>> It's "the" process for issuing licences.
>
> It can't be. Not everyone has a passport.
>
>>> Not every licenced driver has an up-to-date passport (if they have one
>>> at all). But they need the licence in order to be allowed to drive
>>> legally. So "the process" has primarily to be one that responds to
>>> written applications (as it always did until recently).
>> That's right, I don't have a passport any more, see my comments about
>> Red Robbo.
>
> So "the" system doesn't apply to you.
>
> It cannot be the system. At best it can be one of several systems.

>>> It isn't an external agency. It is a branch of the civil service.
>> So it's civil servants enjoying a Covid holiday at our expense.
>
> It would appear that some of the recent criticism of departments - for
> not ensuring sufficient attendance to provide the required service for
> the public - is well justified.

Not feasible to say have five times the staff so there are enough at
work to do that just for the unknown time when the virus is a problem.

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<jcihpmF9bhnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49850&group=uk.d-i-y#49850

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 15:46:15 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 14:46 UTC

On 22/04/2022 07:50 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:32:11 +1000, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/2022 08:39 am, Jeff Gaines wrote:

>>>  It's "the" process for issuing licences.
>>
>> It can't be. Not everyone has a passport.

>>>  That's right, I don't have a passport any more,  see my comments
>>> about Red Robbo.
>>
>> So "the" system doesn't apply to you.
>>
>> It cannot be the system. At best it can be one of several systems.

>>>  So it's civil servants enjoying a Covid holiday at our expense.
>>
>> It would appear that some of the recent criticism of departments - for
>> not ensuring sufficient attendance to provide the required service for
>> the public - is well justified.
>
> Not feasible to say have five times the staff so there are enough at
> work to do that just for the unknown time when the virus is a problem.

It's a good job that the department concerned doesn't attempt the
unfeasible, then.

Isn't it?

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<t41q92$a3i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49888&group=uk.d-i-y#49888

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 21:15:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MF5xFp4MLrXMtc8VYz9airXYKWc=
 by: Brian - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 21:15 UTC

Sysadmin <jon@home.net> wrote:
> I seem to have been waiting weeks for my renewal.....is Swansea a covid
> hotspot..?

More like a lack of work hot spot ;-)

I sent a V5 off for updating after up plating my motorhome. Needless to
say, it vanished into a black hole. Trying to contact the DVLA by phone or
their virtual assistant gizmo is a joke.

However, by magic raising a complaint and including my registration number
had a remarkable effect. In a couple of days, I received a grovelling
apology claiming my V5 had been processed on the day I complained and I
should receive it shortly. Sure enough, an updated V5 arrived a few days
later.

Look for the DVLA complaints page.

Re: Ot: Driving Licence Delay...?

<jckp48Fmeb5U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49917&group=uk.d-i-y#49917

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 12:03:36 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:03 UTC

On 23/04/2022 10:15 pm, Brian wrote:

> Sysadmin <jon@home.net> wrote:

>> I seem to have been waiting weeks for my renewal.....is Swansea a covid
>> hotspot..?

> More like a lack of work hot spot ;-)

> I sent a V5 off for updating after up plating my motorhome. Needless to
> say, it vanished into a black hole. Trying to contact the DVLA by phone or
> their virtual assistant gizmo is a joke.

> However, by magic raising a complaint and including my registration number
> had a remarkable effect. In a couple of days, I received a grovelling
> apology claiming my V5 had been processed on the day I complained and I
> should receive it shortly. Sure enough, an updated V5 arrived a few days
> later.

> Look for the DVLA complaints page.

Making a complaint via one's MP has the same effect.