QOTD: "Wouldn't it be wonderful if real life supported control-Z?"

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT Wii to tv via HDMI

SubjectAuthor
* OT Wii to tv via HDMITorx
+* Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMIJohn Rumm
|`* Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMITorx
| +- Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMIJohn Rumm
| `* Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMIJohn Rumm
|  `- Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMITorx
+* Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMIPaul
|`- Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMIJohn Rumm
`* Follow up: OT Wii to tv via HDMITorx
 `- Re: Follow up: OT Wii to tv via HDMIMathew Newton

1
OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t43qnd$p4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49938&group=uk.d-i-y#49938

From: tor...@torx.org (Torx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT Wii to tv via HDMI
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:35:07 +0100
 by: Torx - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:35 UTC

My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV
input cable. I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV
inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter for the
Wii but all I get is a brief glimpse of the Nintendo warning screen then
a very brief glimpse of the menu page after which the screen goes blank
and stays blank'
I've tried several times using the other HDMI inputs but always the same
result.
I know this group is used by a lot of people with wide-ranging knowledge
of things so I am hoping someone might be able to help me out. We are
both knocking on in years and use the Wii's exercise functions a lot.
Thanks in advance.

Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t440nu$akm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49945&group=uk.d-i-y#49945

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMI
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:17:50 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 17:17 UTC

On 24/04/2022 16:35, Torx wrote:
> My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV
> input cable.  I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV
> inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter for the
> Wii but all I get is a brief glimpse of the Nintendo warning screen then
> a very brief glimpse of the menu page after which the screen goes blank
> and stays blank'
> I've tried several times using the other HDMI inputs but always the same
> result.
> I know this group is used by a lot of people with wide-ranging knowledge
> of things so I am hoping someone might be able to help me out.  We are
> both knocking on in years and use the Wii's exercise functions a lot.

We have a Wii connected to a LG 4K OLED. ISTR that the first adaptor I
tried did not work that well, and I got a second one. That seems to do
the job ok. I also got varying results connecting it through an AV amp,
and in the end found it better to let it have a dedicated HDMI on the TV.

(one thing to watch out for, is I have noticed that some games can leave
some "burn in" style noise marks on the screen, which are only partly
cleared by the de-noise program)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t4415g$cqg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49947&group=uk.d-i-y#49947

From: tor...@torx.org (Torx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:25:03 +0100
 by: Torx - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 17:25 UTC

On 24/04/2022 18:17, John Rumm wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 16:35, Torx wrote:
>> My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV
>> input cable.  I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV
>> inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter for the
>> Wii but all I get is a brief glimpse of the Nintendo warning screen
>> then a very brief glimpse of the menu page after which the screen goes
>> blank and stays blank'
>> I've tried several times using the other HDMI inputs but always the
>> same result.
>> I know this group is used by a lot of people with wide-ranging
>> knowledge of things so I am hoping someone might be able to help me
>> out.  We are both knocking on in years and use the Wii's exercise
>> functions a lot.
>
> We have a Wii connected to a LG 4K OLED. ISTR that the first adaptor I
> tried did not work that well, and I got a second one. That seems to do
> the job ok. I also got varying results connecting it through an AV amp,
> and in the end found it better to let it have a dedicated HDMI on the TV.
>
> (one thing to watch out for, is I have noticed that some games can leave
> some "burn in" style noise marks on the screen, which are only partly
> cleared by the de-noise program)

Thanks for that, John. At least I now know it will work. I'll get hold
of another adapter and try again.

Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t4455j$fij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49957&group=uk.d-i-y#49957

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 19:33:22 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:33 UTC

On 24/04/2022 18:25, Torx wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 18:17, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 24/04/2022 16:35, Torx wrote:
>>> My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV
>>> input cable.  I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV
>>> inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter for
>>> the Wii but all I get is a brief glimpse of the Nintendo warning
>>> screen then a very brief glimpse of the menu page after which the
>>> screen goes blank and stays blank'
>>> I've tried several times using the other HDMI inputs but always the
>>> same result.
>>> I know this group is used by a lot of people with wide-ranging
>>> knowledge of things so I am hoping someone might be able to help me
>>> out.  We are both knocking on in years and use the Wii's exercise
>>> functions a lot.
>>
>> We have a Wii connected to a LG 4K OLED. ISTR that the first adaptor I
>> tried did not work that well, and I got a second one. That seems to do
>> the job ok. I also got varying results connecting it through an AV
>> amp, and in the end found it better to let it have a dedicated HDMI on
>> the TV.
>>
>> (one thing to watch out for, is I have noticed that some games can
>> leave some "burn in" style noise marks on the screen, which are only
>> partly cleared by the de-noise program)
>>

> Thanks for that, John.  At least I now know it will work.  I'll get hold
> of another adapter and try again.

Well you know it will work with my LG OLED 55B6V TV :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t445ak$fij$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49958&group=uk.d-i-y#49958

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 19:36:04 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:36 UTC

On 24/04/2022 18:25, Torx wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 18:17, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 24/04/2022 16:35, Torx wrote:
>>> My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV
>>> input cable.  I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV
>>> inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter for
>>> the Wii but all I get is a brief glimpse of the Nintendo warning
>>> screen then a very brief glimpse of the menu page after which the
>>> screen goes blank and stays blank'
>>> I've tried several times using the other HDMI inputs but always the
>>> same result.
>>> I know this group is used by a lot of people with wide-ranging
>>> knowledge of things so I am hoping someone might be able to help me
>>> out.  We are both knocking on in years and use the Wii's exercise
>>> functions a lot.
>>
>> We have a Wii connected to a LG 4K OLED. ISTR that the first adaptor I
>> tried did not work that well, and I got a second one. That seems to do
>> the job ok. I also got varying results connecting it through an AV
>> amp, and in the end found it better to let it have a dedicated HDMI on
>> the TV.
>>
>> (one thing to watch out for, is I have noticed that some games can
>> leave some "burn in" style noise marks on the screen, which are only
>> partly cleared by the de-noise program)
>>

> Thanks for that, John.  At least I now know it will work.  I'll get hold
> of another adapter and try again.

FYI, this is the one that worked:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CJIWFTO

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t44iqf$10rs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49977&group=uk.d-i-y#49977

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:26:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 22:26 UTC

On 4/24/2022 11:35 AM, Torx wrote:
> My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV input cable.  I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter for the Wii but all I get is a brief glimpse of the Nintendo warning screen then a very brief glimpse of the menu page after which the screen goes blank and stays blank'
> I've tried several times using the other HDMI inputs but always the same result.
> I know this group is used by a lot of people with wide-ranging knowledge of things so I am hoping someone might be able to help me out.  We are both knocking on in years and use the Wii's exercise functions a lot.
> Thanks in advance.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-connect-a-nintendo-wii-to-any-tv/

"...the Wii only outputs a max resolution of 480p, so don’t expect to get anything
more out of it on a newer television."

Check the manual for the TV, as some HDMI connectors only do 720p and 1080p
and 480p is possibly too low. If there is an HDMI intended for computer
usage (versus the VGA the old TVs had), that HDMI can be wider-range.

*******

You can see what the connector actually has on it, in
the way of output options. You can see that shorting 8 to 10,
puts the output in YPrPb+AudioL,AudioR. Which is component
video, and some older TVs had that on the back.

https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Video_output

Since the machine actually only outputs various analog outputs,
that "converter device" uses analog input plus the +5V power,
to make an HDMI signal. The only purpose of upscaling to 720p,
would be in an effort to get the TV to accept it - it does not
mean the picture is magically better.

As your unit is PAL, more of the options on that web page might
work for you. The claim is, that the PAL version seems to have
more stuff enabled/working.

But if I had to guess, it's the TV has decided the input is
"out of range" and "too low". If you fiddle around with HDMI
choices, like the one labeled "for PC", the picture might
stay on the screen for you. If that doesn't work, you'll
need to look more carefully at the patch panel on the back
of the TV, to see if an equally nice input option is available.
If you can get YPrPb working, it should be great, and avoid
conversion hassles (some of those adapter dongles seem to
have coupling problems, possibly DC restoration and lack
of proper sync detection).

On one piece of decrepit equipment here, the best converter
turned out to be "analog to Channel 3". Works a treat and
solved the DC restoration problem I was having. The analog
looked like shit, and passing it through the RF modulator,
fixed it. That's why sometimes, it takes a few experiments
to find something that really works for you. The only reason
I tested an RF modulator, is because I'd run out of things
to try :-)

Paul

Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t44o3m$n1c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49983&group=uk.d-i-y#49983

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 00:56:37 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 23:56 UTC

On 24/04/2022 23:26, Paul wrote:
> On 4/24/2022 11:35 AM, Torx wrote:
>> My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV
>> input cable.  I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV
>> inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter for the
>> Wii but all I get is a brief glimpse of the Nintendo warning screen
>> then a very brief glimpse of the menu page after which the screen goes
>> blank and stays blank'
>> I've tried several times using the other HDMI inputs but always the
>> same result.
>> I know this group is used by a lot of people with wide-ranging
>> knowledge of things so I am hoping someone might be able to help me
>> out.  We are both knocking on in years and use the Wii's exercise
>> functions a lot.
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-connect-a-nintendo-wii-to-any-tv/
>

>    "...the Wii only outputs a max resolution of 480p, so don’t expect
> to get anything
>     more out of it on a newer television."
>
> Check the manual for the TV, as some HDMI connectors only do 720p and 1080p
> and 480p is possibly too low. If there is an HDMI intended for computer
> usage (versus the VGA the old TVs had), that HDMI can be wider-range.

I think the idea of the adaptors is that they also upscale the output to
1080p. It won't look any better (and might actually look a bit more
fuzzy), but at least the TV will recognise it as a valid HDMI signal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t48ukr$pfb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50207&group=uk.d-i-y#50207

From: tor...@torx.org (Torx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:12:43 +0100
 by: Torx - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:12 UTC

On 24/04/2022 19:36, John Rumm wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 18:25, Torx wrote:
>>>
>>> We have a Wii connected to a LG 4K OLED. ISTR that the first adaptor
>>> I tried did not work that well, and I got a second one. That seems to
>>> do the job ok. I also got varying results connecting it through an AV
>>> amp, and in the end found it better to let it have a dedicated HDMI
>>> on the TV.
>>>
>>> (one thing to watch out for, is I have noticed that some games can
>>> leave some "burn in" style noise marks on the screen, which are only
>>> partly cleared by the de-noise program)
>>>

>> Thanks for that, John.  At least I now know it will work.  I'll get
>> hold of another adapter and try again.
>
> FYI, this is the one that worked:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CJIWFTO

Thanks John, that's not the one I have but it's physically identical,
just different colours and wording. Thanks too for reminding me about
screen burn-in, we're back to crt days!

Follow up: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<t4jsc3$fea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50842&group=uk.d-i-y#50842

From: tor...@torx.org (Torx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Follow up: OT Wii to tv via HDMI
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:41:22 +0100
 by: Torx - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:41 UTC

I obtained a different adapter and this one works, a tad fuzzy
picture-wise but good enough to use. A bit more land-fill space saved.
Thanks for your help.

On 24/04/2022 16:35, Torx wrote:
> My Nintendo Wii unit worked fine with my old Samsung 4k TV via the AV
> input cable.  I now have an LG 4k OLED TV which doesn't have the AV
> inputs but does have a spare HDMI input. I got an HDMI adapter for the
> Wii but all I get is a brief glimpse of the Nintendo warning screen then
> a very brief glimpse of the menu page after which the screen goes blank
> and stays blank'
> I've tried several times using the other HDMI inputs but always the same
> result.
> I know this group is used by a lot of people with wide-ranging knowledge
> of things so I am hoping someone might be able to help me out.  We are
> both knocking on in years and use the Wii's exercise functions a lot.
> Thanks in advance.

Re: Follow up: OT Wii to tv via HDMI

<e9d51f6d-e9ec-452a-94ae-667b3d985c73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50867&group=uk.d-i-y#50867

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:04:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Follow up: OT Wii to tv via HDMI
From: mathewja...@googlemail.com (Mathew Newton)
 by: Mathew Newton - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:04 UTC

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 18:41:27 UTC+1, Torx wrote:
> I obtained a different adapter and this one works, a tad fuzzy
> picture-wise but good enough to use. A bit more land-fill space saved.
> Thanks for your help.

I tried a few with mixed results, some got better when warmed up a little!

This one worked perfectly:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KHMDMY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazing how well a 4K TV can upscale a 480p input really!

Mathew