You can never do just one thing. -- Hardin

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

SubjectAuthor
* Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?John J
+* Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?Chris Hogg
|+* Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?Tim Streater
||`* Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?The Natural Philosopher
|| +* Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?Harry Bloomfield Esq
|| |`- Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?The Natural Philosopher
|| `- Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?John J
|+* Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in thejon
||+- Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?The Natural Philosopher
||`* Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?Chris Hogg
|| +- Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?The Natural Philosopher
|| `- Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?newshound
|`* Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?#Paul
| `- Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?Chris Hogg
`- Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?newshound

1
Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<987e07a0-84de-4d87-a2a2-9e8c6738db78n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49987&group=uk.d-i-y#49987

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 00:13:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:13 UTC

Idly browsing I came across this. Seems to be a greeny production but there's some core food for thought in it.
- https://youtu.be/-Ss_wHCS1Aw

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<m0nc6h9m525e99jo60b5492p6leckjaddg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49998&group=uk.d-i-y#49998

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:33:30 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 09:33 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 00:13:06 -0700 (PDT), John J
<johnjessop46@gmail.com> wrote:

>Idly browsing I came across this. Seems to be a greeny production but there's some core food for thought in it.
> - https://youtu.be/-Ss_wHCS1Aw

I am no expert, but I thought that although it was a bit biased
towards geothermal, it wasn't too bad.

I'm not sure how much geothermal energy is available in Iceland. Some
years ago, it was quite a small amount. A lot of Iceland's electricity
is hydro, using the many rivers they have. But geothermal seems to
have increased recently, although they still only produce 0.75 GW in
total, split between six power stations, the largest producing only
300MW. https://tinyurl.com/pqo8ja2 I think the idea that Iceland has
masses of geothermal energy and could power the UK and some of Europe
is wildly optimistic, even assuming the subsea interconnects were put
in place. The Icelink project seems to have stalled for the moment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelink

There have been several attempts to recover geothermal energy down
here in Cornwall. Cornwall is underlain by a granite batholith,
running from east of Dartmoor in Devon to west of the Isles of Scilly.
Granite is associated with higher temperatures and higher heat flows
than other types of rock - clays, slates and shales for example, and
is likely to provide higher amounts of geothermal energy. Other parts
of the country are also suitable, although many would be better suited
to district heating rather than power generation.
https://tinyurl.com/28439xjv

The Rosemanows Quarry project, started in 1977 and was completed in
1980, although some research continued for several years thereafter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemanowes_Quarry

Recently, attempts were made to heat the Jubilee Swimming Pool in
Penzance by geothermal heat, but it was not wholly successful as a lot
of the water being pumped down leaked away and was not recoverable, so
it has to be supplemented by heat pumps.
https://jubileepool.co.uk/pool-info/geothermal/

The Eden Project in mid-Cornwall is attempting to heat its biomes
(massive greenhouses) by geothermal heat. I don't know how far the
project has got, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be successful as
far as it goes. https://www.edengeothermal.com/

There is another geothermal project at the site of the old United
Downs copper mine near Redruth. The lower levels of this mine were
always pretty hot, partly due to oxidation of the copper ores as they
were exposed to the air but partly from geothermal heat. The current
operation aims to produce around 2MW of electricity from a pilot plant
operation. https://geothermalengineering.co.uk/united-downs/

There are other projects down here aimed at recovering lithium from
the brines circulating through the granite, and I imagine they will
take advantage of any energy they can extract from the water that's
pumped back up to surface.
https://www.cornishlithium.com/documents/Lithium-Factsheet.pdf

Some general comments - you can't just drill a couple of wells
anywhere in the country and get masses of geothermal energy back up.
You have to be selective in the sites you choose. (I suppose you could
get hot water up from anywhere if you drill deep enough, but you'd
have to go very deep and it would be horrifically expensive and you'd
never recover your investment!).

Most if not all of the projects involve FRACKING! AAAAARGH! But I'm
sure the Greens will say it's OK if it leads to geothermal power, but
not OK if it leads to natural gas, and they've conducted an effective
FUD campaign against it in the latter case! That may change in view of
the Ukraine situation. I hope so!

So far the projects seem very small scale. OK, so they may be
exploratory pilot plants ATM, but even in Iceland the power plants
don't exceed a few hundred MW.

--
Chris

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<t4608s$qcs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50010&group=uk.d-i-y#50010

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:22:04 +0100
 by: newshound - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:22 UTC

On 25/04/2022 08:13, John J wrote:
> Idly browsing I came across this. Seems to be a greeny production but there's some core food for thought in it.
> - https://youtu.be/-Ss_wHCS1Aw

I agree with Chris, it was a bit greeny (the reference to "nasty"
chemicals in gas fracking) but, unusually, he did point out that
drilling was expensive and uncertain, so that the economics was by no
means certain. So overall a rather more balanced piece than most.

As the youtube presenter said, most places where it is being developed
seriously are on plate boundaries, where energy is more accessible.

The CEGB were putting research money into geothermal in the 70's as
well, mainly IIRC in the Southampton area where there are warm spots,
but also because it was local to the engineering research laboratories
at Marchwood. I don't think I ever saw any published details, but
according to one of the senior managers there were two main problems.
Firstly, they recovered rather less water than they put in, so this was
an economic cost. Secondly, if they recovered energy at a useful rate,
the accessible reservoirs would cool down in ~ 50 years to the point
where they were no longer productive. Of course both drilling and
fracking technology have advanced considerably in the past 50 years, so
the limitations at that time might no longer apply.

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<jcnesjF7rboU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50012&group=uk.d-i-y#50012

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Apr 2022 11:27:15 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:27 UTC

On 25 Apr 2022 at 10:33:30 BST, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Most if not all of the projects involve FRACKING! AAAAARGH! But I'm
> sure the Greens will say it's OK if it leads to geothermal power, but
> not OK if it leads to natural gas, and they've conducted an effective
> FUD campaign against it in the latter case! That may change in view of
> the Ukraine situation. I hope so!

Better not tell them, either, that geothermal power is, in fact, nuclear.
Caused by the largish amounts of uranium and other radioactive elements in the
liquid core of the Earth. Shhh!

--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<t462c6$aok$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50014&group=uk.d-i-y#50014

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:57:58 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:57 UTC

On 25/04/2022 12:27, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2022 at 10:33:30 BST, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Most if not all of the projects involve FRACKING! AAAAARGH! But I'm
>> sure the Greens will say it's OK if it leads to geothermal power, but
>> not OK if it leads to natural gas, and they've conducted an effective
>> FUD campaign against it in the latter case! That may change in view of
>> the Ukraine situation. I hope so!
>
> Better not tell them, either, that geothermal power is, in fact, nuclear.
> Caused by the largish amounts of uranium and other radioactive elements in the
> liquid core of the Earth. Shhh!

Better not tell them that wind and solar are, in fact, nuclear power,
driven by the Great Reactor In The Sky that kills 3000 people a year in
the UK from radiation induced cancer.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<t46adb$eqv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50020&group=uk.d-i-y#50020

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:15:06 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:15 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote on 25/04/2022 :
> Better not tell them that wind and solar are, in fact, nuclear power, driven
> by the Great Reactor In The Sky that kills 3000 people a year in the UK from
> radiation induced cancer.

Best wear a tin foil hat, to prevent the radiation.

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<t46d4t$2hc$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50026&group=uk.d-i-y#50026

From: jon...@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the
UK?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:01:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:01 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:33:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

> [...]
>
> Some general comments - you can't just drill a couple of wells anywhere
> in the country and get masses of geothermal energy back up. You have to
> be selective in the sites you choose. (I suppose you could get hot water
> up from anywhere if you drill deep enough, but you'd have to go very
> deep and it would be horrifically expensive and you'd never recover your
> investment!).
>
> Most if not all of the projects involve FRACKING! AAAAARGH! But I'm sure
> the Greens will say it's OK if it leads to geothermal power, but not OK
> if it leads to natural gas, and they've conducted an effective FUD
> campaign against it in the latter case! That may change in view of the
> Ukraine situation. I hope so!
>
> So far the projects seem very small scale. OK, so they may be
> exploratory pilot plants ATM, but even in Iceland the power plants don't

There is only 370,000 people in Iceland.

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<t46enr$k9j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50032&group=uk.d-i-y#50032

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:28:59 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:28 UTC

On 25/04/2022 15:15, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote on 25/04/2022 :
>> Better not tell them that wind and solar are, in fact, nuclear power,
>> driven by the Great Reactor In The Sky that kills 3000 people a year
>> in the UK from radiation induced cancer.
>
> Best wear a tin foil hat, to prevent the radiation.

sunblock is more effective.

"There are around 2,300 melanoma skin cancer deaths in the UK every
year, that's more than 6 every day (2016-2018).
Melanoma skin cancer is the 19th most common cause of cancer death in
the UK, accounting for 1% of all cancer deaths (2018).
In females in the UK, melanoma skin cancer is the 18th most common cause
of cancer death, with around 940 deaths in 2018.
In males in the UK, melanoma skin cancer is the 17th most common cause
of cancer death, with around 1,400 deaths in 2018. "

And that is just the melanomas

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<t46ep3$k9j$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50033&group=uk.d-i-y#50033

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:29:39 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:29 UTC

On 25/04/2022 16:01, jon wrote:
> [...]
>> in the country and get masses of geothermal energy back up. You have to
>> be selective in the sites you choose. (I suppose you could get hot water
>> up from anywhere if you drill deep enough, but you'd have to go very
>> deep and it would be horrifically expensive and you'd never recover your
>> investment!).
>>
>> Most if not all of the projects involve FRACKING! AAAAARGH! But I'm sure
>> the Greens will say it's OK if it leads to geothermal power, but not OK
>> if it leads to natural gas, and they've conducted an effective FUD
>> campaign against it in the latter case! That may change in view of the
>> Ukraine situation. I hope so!
>>
>> So far the projects seem very small scale. OK, so they may be
>> exploratory pilot plants ATM, but even in Iceland the power plants don't
>> exceed a few hundred MW.
>
> There is only 370,000 people in Iceland.

you is wrong. There *are* only 370,000 people in Iceland.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<82gd6htcl12e70dqjpd58u9h4n8vdl6svj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50034&group=uk.d-i-y#50034

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:47:31 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:47 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:01:49 -0000 (UTC), jon <jon@nospam.cn> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:33:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:
>>even in Iceland the power plants don't
>> exceed a few hundred MW.
>
>There is only 370,000 people in Iceland.

So they don't need to generate much electricity - yes, I get that. But
why build several little power stations, when one big one would do all
they would need? Presumably because the sources of heat at depth can
only supply power at a limited rate.

Here's the list from the Wiki I linked to.

Hellisheiði Power Station (303 MW)
Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Station (120 MW)
Reykjanes Power Station (100 MW)
Svartsengi Power Station (76.5 MW)
Krafla Power Station (60 MW)
Þeistareykir Power Station (90 MW)

--
Chris

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<t46k00$5ab$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50043&group=uk.d-i-y#50043

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:58:39 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:58 UTC

On 25/04/2022 16:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:01:49 -0000 (UTC), jon <jon@nospam.cn> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:33:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:
>>> even in Iceland the power plants don't
>>> exceed a few hundred MW.
>>
>> There is only 370,000 people in Iceland.
>
> So they don't need to generate much electricity - yes, I get that. But
> why build several little power stations, when one big one would do all
> they would need? Presumably because the sources of heat at depth can
> only supply power at a limited rate.

That is correct. there is a limit to rate of thermal replenishment that
renders many geothermal sites dead after a decade and in need of
furlough to 'recharge'. Obviously nearby red hot magma will help that.

> Here's the list from the Wiki I linked to.
>
> Hellisheiði Power Station (303 MW)
> Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Station (120 MW)
> Reykjanes Power Station (100 MW)
> Svartsengi Power Station (76.5 MW)
> Krafla Power Station (60 MW)
> Þeistareykir Power Station (90 MW)

according to El Wiki, Iceland has about 3GW total capacity of which the
majority is hydro (2.1GW) and the rest mainly geothermal (755MW, as above).

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<t46vsk$8du$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50103&group=uk.d-i-y#50103

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:21:40 +0100
 by: newshound - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:21 UTC

On 25/04/2022 16:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:01:49 -0000 (UTC), jon <jon@nospam.cn> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:33:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:
>>> even in Iceland the power plants don't
>>> exceed a few hundred MW.
>>
>> There is only 370,000 people in Iceland.
>
> So they don't need to generate much electricity - yes, I get that. But
> why build several little power stations, when one big one would do all
> they would need? Presumably because the sources of heat at depth can
> only supply power at a limited rate.
>
> Here's the list from the Wiki I linked to.
>
> Hellisheiði Power Station (303 MW)
> Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Station (120 MW)
> Reykjanes Power Station (100 MW)
> Svartsengi Power Station (76.5 MW)
> Krafla Power Station (60 MW)
> Þeistareykir Power Station (90 MW)

I expect one reason is that because the hot water coming up is full of
dissolved minerals, they spend a significant amount of time being down
for maintenance.

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<13c0672e-5ad4-4107-b288-a0c4f5a839d7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50217&group=uk.d-i-y#50217

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:25 UTC

On Monday, 25 April 2022 at 12:58:02 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 25/04/2022 12:27, Tim Streater wrote:
> > On 25 Apr 2022 at 10:33:30 BST, Chris Hogg <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Most if not all of the projects involve FRACKING! AAAAARGH! But I'm
> >> sure the Greens will say it's OK if it leads to geothermal power, but
> >> not OK if it leads to natural gas, and they've conducted an effective
> >> FUD campaign against it in the latter case! That may change in view of
> >> the Ukraine situation. I hope so!
> >
> > Better not tell them, either, that geothermal power is, in fact, nuclear.
> > Caused by the largish amounts of uranium and other radioactive elements in the
> > liquid core of the Earth. Shhh!
> >
> Better not tell them that wind and solar are, in fact, nuclear power,
> driven by the Great Reactor In The Sky that kills 3000 people a year in
> the UK from radiation induced cancer.

Delicious - I'm nabbing that quote to annoy greentards with..

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<tkeljixn03.ln2@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50248&group=uk.d-i-y#50248

From: news20k....@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:10:53 +0100
 by: #Paul - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:10 UTC

Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure how much geothermal energy is available in Iceland.

Geothermal has been in use in NZ for a while; there is apparently
about a GW of generation in the Taupo region, and "In 2017,
electricity generation from geothermal accounted for over 17% of
New Zealand's total electricity supply." FWIW, the population of
NZ is over 10 times that of Iceland. I'm less sure about the ratio
of Area(Taupo region)/Area(Iceland) :-)

See e.g.

<https://www.mbie.govt.nz/building-and-energy/energy-and-natural-resources/energy-generation-and-markets/geothermal-energy-generation/>

(or just search for something like "NZ geothermal generation").

#Paul

Re: Where are we with geothermal energy as a viable option in the UK?

<n2fg6hlnmj0ov9cr96gbbllpe4r4577pdp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50250&group=uk.d-i-y#50250

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:45:03 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:45 UTC

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:10:53 +0100,
news20k.noreply@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul) wrote:

>Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure how much geothermal energy is available in Iceland.
>
>Geothermal has been in use in NZ for a while; there is apparently
>about a GW of generation in the Taupo region, and "In 2017,
>electricity generation from geothermal accounted for over 17% of
>New Zealand's total electricity supply." FWIW, the population of
>NZ is over 10 times that of Iceland. I'm less sure about the ratio
>of Area(Taupo region)/Area(Iceland) :-)
>
>See e.g.
>
><https://www.mbie.govt.nz/building-and-energy/energy-and-natural-resources/energy-generation-and-markets/geothermal-energy-generation/>
>
>(or just search for something like "NZ geothermal generation").

Thanks for the info.

I have no doubt that geothermal will occupy a position in the supply
of renewable electricity and heating in areas where there are suitable
sources of heat, but because of that restriction it will always be a
bit-player in the grand scheme of things.

--
Chris