Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate and captain of your soul.

aus+uk / aus.legal / Re: mail

SubjectAuthor
* mailMax
+- Re: mailPhil Allison
+* Re: mailPetzl
|`- Re: mailPhil Allison
+* Re: mailRod Speed
|`* Re: mailMax
| `- Re: mailRod Speed
`* Re: mailSylvia Else
 +- Re: mailRod Speed
 `- Re: mailF Murtz

1
mail

<sqqoap$1lt6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4991&group=aus.legal#4991

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Subject: mail
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:32:39 +1100
 by: Max - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 23:32 UTC

If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone else,
probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what is the
correct way to deal with the mail?

If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to it?

Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?

Re: mail

<48041215-e932-4b1a-9918-86eaa2cac596n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4992&group=aus.legal#4992

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:43:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: mail
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 23:43 UTC

Max the MORON is trolling again:
==================================

> If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone else,
> probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what is the
> correct way to deal with the mail?

** Depends on important facts you have NOT mentioned.

> If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to it?

** Be destroyed.

> Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?

** See comment beginning with the word " depends".

....... Phil

Re: mail

<taq1tgpufvbhljnsp9vf3pu9e54ua0gaup@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4993&group=aus.legal#4993

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 10:55:07 +1100
 by: Petzl - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 23:55 UTC

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:32:39 +1100, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:

>If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone else,
>probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what is the
>correct way to deal with the mail?
>
>If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to it?
>
>Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?

Riot act
Put
NOT AT THIS ADDRESS
on letter then re-post it in PO mail box.

Most read it then throw it away!
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

Re: mail

<234fe571-831c-427c-b768-0d217026ec45n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4994&group=aus.legal#4994

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:18:40 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 00:18 UTC

pet...@gmail.com wrote:
====================
> >If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone else,
> >probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what is the
> >correct way to deal with the mail?
> >
> >If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to it?
> >
> >Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?
> >
> Riot act

** Huh ???

> Put
> NOT AT THIS ADDRESS
> on letter then re-post it in PO mail box.

** Not always the "correct way"
When there is a rental agent - give it to them.

> Most read it then throw it away!

** Very irresponsible - most letters contain the address of the sender.

You can use that to re-address the letter.

...... Phil

Re: mail

<j3c9ebFh745U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4995&group=aus.legal#4995

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 11:20:24 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 00:20 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote

> If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone else,
> probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what is the
> correct way to deal with the mail?

Open it and see if you can work out who to
tell that that individual isn't there anymore.

> If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to it?

They do that.

> Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?

Yep, it it is addressed to your address.

Re: mail

<j3cdm5Fhtn0U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4997&group=aus.legal#4997

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:32:53 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 01:32 UTC

On 02-Jan-22 10:32 am, Max wrote:
> If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone else,
> probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what is the
> correct way to deal with the mail?
>
> If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to it?
>
> Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?

Just store it for a couple of years, accumulating other similar letters.
Then put in a big envelope marked "return to senders" and stick it in a
letter box.

You cannot lawfully open such mail, nor destroy it. But you don't have
to do anything about it either.

Sylvia.

Re: mail

<sqqvke$1svh$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4998&group=aus.legal#4998

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:37:19 +1100
 by: Max - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 01:37 UTC

On 2/01/2022 11:20 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
>
>> If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone
>> else, probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what
>> is the correct way to deal with the mail?
>
> Open it and see if you can work out who to
> tell that that individual isn't there anymore.
>
>> If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to
>> it?
>
> They do that.

There is no sender address on the envelope.

>> Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?
>
> Yep, it it is addressed to your address.

Re: mail

<j3cmvqFjh62U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5000&group=aus.legal#5000

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:11:34 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 04:11 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote
> Max wrote

>> If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone else,
>> probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what is the
>> correct way to deal with the mail?

>> If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to
>> it?

>> Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?

> Just store it for a couple of years,

Stupid approach.

> accumulating other similar letters. Then put in a big envelope marked
> "return to senders" and stick it in a letter box.

> You cannot lawfully open such mail,

Wrong when it is addressed to your address and there
is a real possibility that that individual had been at that
address previously and had not left a forwarding address.

> nor destroy it.

Wrong again.

> But you don't have to do anything about it either.

But it makes sense to do something about it if that is feasible.

I did get one to this address with no possibility that that
individual had been at my address previously since I built
my house on a bare block of land. Turned out to be a
letter from a solicitor saying that the person didn’t have
to show up in court at the date they had been previously
told that they had to. The woman fielding the phone call was
grateful that I had told them that they had the address wrong.

Re: mail

<j3cn3dFjhokU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5001&group=aus.legal#5001

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:13:29 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 04:13 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Max <max@val.morgan> wrote

>>> If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone else,
>>> probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what is the
>>> correct way to deal with the mail?

>> Open it and see if you can work out who to
>> tell that that individual isn't there anymore.

>>> If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to
>>> it?

>> They do that.

> There is no sender address on the envelope.

But there very likely is on what is inside unless
it’s a personal letter between friends or relos etc

>>> Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?
>>
>> Yep, it it is addressed to your address.

Re: mail

<F_VBJ.161074$Ql5.25180@fx39.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5017&group=aus.legal#5017

Newsgroups: aus.legal
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 23:03:46 +1100
 by: F Murtz - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:03 UTC

On 2/1/22 12:32 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 02-Jan-22 10:32 am, Max wrote:
>> If an envelope has been sent to you and it is addressed to someone
>> else, probably a prior resident, and there is no return address, what
>> is the correct way to deal with the mail?
>>
>> If you put 'return to sender' and put in post box, what will happen to
>> it?
>>
>> Is it legal to open the envelope and look at the contents?
>
> Just store it for a couple of years, accumulating other similar letters.
> Then put in a big envelope marked "return to senders" and stick it in a
> letter box.
>
> You cannot lawfully open such mail, nor destroy it. But you don't have
> to do anything about it either.
>
> Sylvia.
I usually become judge and jury ,sticky beak and if not important bin it
and if important take steps to do something about it, such as contacting
sender