Shannon's Observation: Nothing is so frustrating as a bad situation that is beginning to improve.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Bandsaw purchase

SubjectAuthor
* Bandsaw purchasewilliamwright
+* Re: Bandsaw purchasenothanks
|`* Re: Bandsaw purchaseBrian
| +* Re: Bandsaw purchaseAnimal
| |+* Re: Bandsaw purchaseBrian
| ||`* Re: Bandsaw purchaseAnimal
| || `* Re: Bandsaw purchaseJohn Rumm
| ||  `- Re: Bandsaw purchaseAnimal
| |`- Re: Bandsaw purchaseJohn Rumm
| `* Re: Bandsaw purchasenothanks
|  `* Re: Bandsaw purchaseBrian
|   `* Re: Bandsaw purchaseJohn Rumm
|    `* Re: Bandsaw purchaseBrian
|     `- Re: Bandsaw purchaseJohn Rumm
+- Re: Bandsaw purchaseJohn Rumm
+- Re: Bandsaw purchaseTim Lamb
`- Re: Bandsaw purchaseAndy Burns

1
Bandsaw purchase

<jcl77oFp54vU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49935&group=uk.d-i-y#49935

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Bandsaw purchase
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:04:25 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:04 UTC

I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc?

Bill

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<jcl9itFpk6jU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49940&group=uk.d-i-y#49940

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Bandsaw purchase
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:44:28 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:44 UTC

On 24/04/2022 16:04, williamwright wrote:
> I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc?
>
> Bill
They come up on eBay fairly often. The specific recommendations will
depend on what you want to do with it, what capacities you need, and how
much you're prepared to spend.
I previously had a Startrite 352 and an Inca 260 and now have a Record
Sabre 350 - all were/are excellent but I prefer the Sabre.
Don't bother with a 3-wheel bandsaw.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t440gd$8k0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49944&group=uk.d-i-y#49944

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:13:48 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 17:13 UTC

On 24/04/2022 16:04, williamwright wrote:

> I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc?

Primarily for wood or metal (and if metal, ferrous or non ferrous) cutting?

What kind of cutting capacity do you require (both max depth of cut, and
also max distance of cut from the edge of the material).

I currently have an Eletra Beckup BAS 315 which I got fairly cheap
second hand. It is a fairly solid medium sized saw (about 60kg total
weight). It can cut a max thickness of just over 6", with a max throat
of just over 1'. I find it generally "ok", although I did upgrade the
guide blocks to bearing guided ones.

As a general woodworking saw, the fence could be a bit more substantial,
and there are times I wish I had a bit more capacity to resaw boards -
say 9" depth of cut, more power, and the ability to stick a 1" (or
wider) resaw blade in it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t44eqb$q2u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49970&group=uk.d-i-y#49970

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:18:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:J9jEUQYfzPUas/FFeG+83YEeqGs=
 by: Brian - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:18 UTC

<nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 16:04, williamwright wrote:
>> I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc?
>>
>> Bill
> They come up on eBay fairly often. The specific recommendations will
> depend on what you want to do with it, what capacities you need, and how
> much you're prepared to spend.
> I previously had a Startrite 352 and an Inca 260 and now have a Record
> Sabre 350 - all were/are excellent but I prefer the Sabre.
> Don't bother with a 3-wheel bandsaw.

I’m curious, why not a 3 wheel one?

I don’t claim to know about bandsaws but had looked at getting one
previously and thought the two wheel ones were the inferior ones.

I’m quite prepared to accept I am mistaken etc.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<ULKOCRXMKcZiFw4V@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49973&group=uk.d-i-y#49973

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 22:35:08 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:35 UTC

In message <jcl77oFp54vU1@mid.individual.net>, williamwright
<wrightsaerials@f2s.com> writes
>I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc?

I have a Wadkin Bursgreen 20" BZB for woodwork. Spares are still
available.
Likely to be 3 phase if large ex industrial unit. Should have DC
injection braking if you plan to employ the user:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<1ba29f0c-d456-474e-8d84-5f2c711e4b17n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49974&group=uk.d-i-y#49974

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:38:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:38 UTC

On Sunday, 24 April 2022 at 22:18:06 UTC+1, Brian wrote:
> <noth...@aolbin.com> wrote:
> > On 24/04/2022 16:04, williamwright wrote:
> >> I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc?
> >>
> >> Bill
> > They come up on eBay fairly often. The specific recommendations will
> > depend on what you want to do with it, what capacities you need, and how
> > much you're prepared to spend.
> > I previously had a Startrite 352 and an Inca 260 and now have a Record
> > Sabre 350 - all were/are excellent but I prefer the Sabre.
> > Don't bother with a 3-wheel bandsaw.
> >
> I’m curious, why not a 3 wheel one?
>
> I don’t claim to know about bandsaws but had looked at getting one
> previously and thought the two wheel ones were the inferior ones.
>
> I’m quite prepared to accept I am mistaken etc.

I had a little old 3 wheel burgess, 70s thing. They were known for blades breaking quickly. People think it's due to the small wheel diameter, but it's not. The lack of rubber tyres meant that blade tension went up out of control quickly as sawdust settled on the wheels. And the plastic wheels wore as the blades went over them, losing their crown & becoming unserviceable. All easily solved by adding tyres, but without that you've got a dud. Oh, even once fixed their cutting capacity is pathetic, thin stuff only.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t44l4f$63o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49979&group=uk.d-i-y#49979

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 23:05:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3RXb+/yzBi3vK/TjSt9d5zEvaLg=
 by: Brian - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 23:05 UTC

Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 April 2022 at 22:18:06 UTC+1, Brian wrote:
>> <noth...@aolbin.com> wrote:

>>> They come up on eBay fairly often. The specific recommendations will
>>> depend on what you want to do with it, what capacities you need, and how
>>> much you're prepared to spend.
>>> I previously had a Startrite 352 and an Inca 260 and now have a Record
>>> Sabre 350 - all were/are excellent but I prefer the Sabre.
>>> Don't bother with a 3-wheel bandsaw.
>>>
>> I’m curious, why not a 3 wheel one?
>>
>> I don’t claim to know about bandsaws but had looked at getting one
>> previously and thought the two wheel ones were the inferior ones.
>>
>> I’m quite prepared to accept I am mistaken etc.
>
> I had a little old 3 wheel burgess, 70s thing. They were known for blades
> breaking quickly. People think it's due to the small wheel diameter, but
> it's not. The lack of rubber tyres meant that blade tension went up out
> of control quickly as sawdust settled on the wheels. And the plastic
> wheels wore as the blades went over them, losing their crown & becoming
> unserviceable. All easily solved by adding tyres, but without that you've
> got a dud. Oh, even once fixed their cutting capacity is pathetic, thin stuff only.

Your detailed experience suggestions the problem wasn’t so much having 3
wheels but poor quality.

With decent rubber tyres at least some of the issues would, it seems, be
cured.

As for cutting capacity, I assume that is due to power.

Again, I don’t claim to be an expert when it comes to band saws.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t44nsn$k58$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49982&group=uk.d-i-y#49982

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 00:52:54 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 23:52 UTC

On 24/04/2022 22:38, Animal wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 April 2022 at 22:18:06 UTC+1, Brian wrote:
>> <noth...@aolbin.com> wrote:

>>> They come up on eBay fairly often. The specific recommendations
>>> will depend on what you want to do with it, what capacities you
>>> need, and how much you're prepared to spend. I previously had a
>>> Startrite 352 and an Inca 260 and now have a Record Sabre 350 -
>>> all were/are excellent but I prefer the Sabre. Don't bother with
>>> a 3-wheel bandsaw.
>>>
>> I’m curious, why not a 3 wheel one?
>>
>> I don’t claim to know about bandsaws but had looked at getting one
>> previously and thought the two wheel ones were the inferior ones.
>>
>> I’m quite prepared to accept I am mistaken etc.
>
> I had a little old 3 wheel burgess, 70s thing. They were known for
> blades breaking quickly. People think it's due to the small wheel
> diameter, but it's not.

I think even of decent quality and with tyres etc, they do push the
blade though sharper angles, and hence tend to fatigue them a bit quicker.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<jcmrn8F48nhU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49985&group=uk.d-i-y#49985

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:00:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 06:00 UTC

williamwright wrote:

> I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc?

I know you haven't specifically said you need a cheapy, Peter Millard has mostly
reviewed lidaldifix bandsaws, plus an axminster ...

<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7S6M0i1Mz9r3-9wmNhCSUU2aI7UCk9Iq>

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<jcn7m9F6g3dU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49997&group=uk.d-i-y#49997

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:24:26 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 09:24 UTC

On 24/04/2022 22:18, Brian wrote:
> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
>> On 24/04/2022 16:04, williamwright wrote:
>>> I need a bandsaw for general DIY work. Any advice re makes, models, etc?
>>>
>>> Bill
>> They come up on eBay fairly often. The specific recommendations will
>> depend on what you want to do with it, what capacities you need, and how
>> much you're prepared to spend.
>> I previously had a Startrite 352 and an Inca 260 and now have a Record
>> Sabre 350 - all were/are excellent but I prefer the Sabre.
>> Don't bother with a 3-wheel bandsaw.
>>

> I’m curious, why not a 3 wheel one?
>
> I don’t claim to know about bandsaws but had looked at getting one
> previously and thought the two wheel ones were the inferior ones.
>
> I’m quite prepared to accept I am mistaken etc.

From my (admittedly limited) experience they seem to break blades more
frequently and to be under-powered. Because of the compromises to
increase the throat depth they are inherently less rigid than an
equivalent 2-wheel saw so the tension range must be less.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t46ebq$h6d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50030&group=uk.d-i-y#50030

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:22:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Fd76uUj0W7BYYhuTa1DIg54wWA8=
 by: Brian - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:22 UTC

<nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
> On 24/04/2022 22:18, Brian wrote:
>> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:

>>> They come up on eBay fairly often. The specific recommendations will
>>> depend on what you want to do with it, what capacities you need, and how
>>> much you're prepared to spend.
>>> I previously had a Startrite 352 and an Inca 260 and now have a Record
>>> Sabre 350 - all were/are excellent but I prefer the Sabre.
>>> Don't bother with a 3-wheel bandsaw.
>>>

>> I’m curious, why not a 3 wheel one?
>>
>> I don’t claim to know about bandsaws but had looked at getting one
>> previously and thought the two wheel ones were the inferior ones.
>>
>> I’m quite prepared to accept I am mistaken etc.
>>
> From my (admittedly limited) experience they seem to break blades more
> frequently and to be under-powered. Because of the compromises to
> increase the throat depth they are inherently less rigid than an
> equivalent 2-wheel saw so the tension range must be less.

So the geometry fundamentally leads to issues with tensioning and rigidity
of the blade? ( I assume they could increase motor power, at least in
theory.)

That seems a reasonably explanation, thank you.

While looking at various comments on the ‘cheap’ ones which seen to have
three wheels previously, blade issues was certainly a common complaint but
I don’t recall anyone suggesting why.

A band saw is one of the tools I’d like but would probably rarely use.

Rather like a MIG welder, I’d love one but…

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t46s65$c89$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50075&group=uk.d-i-y#50075

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:18:28 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:18 UTC

On 25/04/2022 16:22, Brian wrote:
> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:

>>> I’m curious, why not a 3 wheel one?
>>>
>>> I don’t claim to know about bandsaws but had looked at getting one
>>> previously and thought the two wheel ones were the inferior ones.
>>>
>>> I’m quite prepared to accept I am mistaken etc.
>>>
>> From my (admittedly limited) experience they seem to break blades more
>> frequently and to be under-powered. Because of the compromises to
>> increase the throat depth they are inherently less rigid than an
>> equivalent 2-wheel saw so the tension range must be less.
>>

> So the geometry fundamentally leads to issues with tensioning and rigidity
> of the blade? ( I assume they could increase motor power, at least in
> theory.)
>
> That seems a reasonably explanation, thank you.
>
> While looking at various comments on the ‘cheap’ ones which seen to have
> three wheels previously, blade issues was certainly a common complaint but
> I don’t recall anyone suggesting why.
>
> A band saw is one of the tools I’d like but would probably rarely use.
>
> Rather like a MIG welder, I’d love one but…

I used to think that since I hardly ever used my old buzz box arc
welder, because it was so freeking useless and a PITA to use.

I got a decent MIG set, and find I use that quite often simply because
it is so much nicer and easier to use, and does a much better job -
hence you find uses for it and it becomes more of a mainstream tool for
DIY rather than a rarely used tool.

(in fact, I use it more than my bandsaw :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t46t8h$kpi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50079&group=uk.d-i-y#50079

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:36:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xLBwo1O6CNDhcmTywlXvVIOjvb8=
 by: Brian - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:36 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 25/04/2022 16:22, Brian wrote:
>> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:

>>> From my (admittedly limited) experience they seem to break blades more
>>> frequently and to be under-powered. Because of the compromises to
>>> increase the throat depth they are inherently less rigid than an
>>> equivalent 2-wheel saw so the tension range must be less.
>>>

>> So the geometry fundamentally leads to issues with tensioning and rigidity
>> of the blade? ( I assume they could increase motor power, at least in
>> theory.)
>>
>> That seems a reasonably explanation, thank you.
>>
>> While looking at various comments on the ‘cheap’ ones which seen to have
>> three wheels previously, blade issues was certainly a common complaint but
>> I don’t recall anyone suggesting why.
>>
>> A band saw is one of the tools I’d like but would probably rarely use.
>>
>> Rather like a MIG welder, I’d love one but…
>
> I used to think that since I hardly ever used my old buzz box arc
> welder, because it was so freeking useless and a PITA to use.
>
> I got a decent MIG set, and find I use that quite often simply because
> it is so much nicer and easier to use, and does a much better job -
> hence you find uses for it and it becomes more of a mainstream tool for
> DIY rather than a rarely used tool.
>
> (in fact, I use it more than my bandsaw :-)

Which MIG welder do you have, please? I’ve been looking at the cheap
inverter ones, around 100A. As much as anything, I wanted to relearn how to
weld. I was shown the basics at school and borrowed a small arc welder
years ago ( in the 80s), used one circa 1990, but not touched one
otherwise.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t46uo6$v5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50089&group=uk.d-i-y#50089

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:02:13 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:02 UTC

On 25/04/2022 20:36, Brian wrote:
> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

>>> So the geometry fundamentally leads to issues with tensioning and rigidity
>>> of the blade? ( I assume they could increase motor power, at least in
>>> theory.)
>>>
>>> That seems a reasonably explanation, thank you.
>>>
>>> While looking at various comments on the ‘cheap’ ones which seen to have
>>> three wheels previously, blade issues was certainly a common complaint but
>>> I don’t recall anyone suggesting why.
>>>
>>> A band saw is one of the tools I’d like but would probably rarely use.
>>>
>>> Rather like a MIG welder, I’d love one but…
>>
>> I used to think that since I hardly ever used my old buzz box arc
>> welder, because it was so freeking useless and a PITA to use.
>>
>> I got a decent MIG set, and find I use that quite often simply because
>> it is so much nicer and easier to use, and does a much better job -
>> hence you find uses for it and it becomes more of a mainstream tool for
>> DIY rather than a rarely used tool.
>>
>> (in fact, I use it more than my bandsaw :-)
>>

> Which MIG welder do you have, please? I’ve been looking at the cheap > inverter ones, around 100A. As much as anything,

I went for:

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/mig-welder-r-tech-i-mig180

Not particularly cheap, but it is nicely put together. Wire feed that
works reliably, and a decent duty cycle (such that I have not so far
ever have it interrupt my welding.

> I wanted to relearn how to
> weld. I was shown the basics at school and borrowed a small arc welder
> years ago ( in the 80s), used one circa 1990, but not touched one
> otherwise.

I was pleasantly surprised just how much better it was using it to stick
weld as well - much easier to strike an arc, and much more stable as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<c9487729-002e-4e78-814d-62370a380059n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50127&group=uk.d-i-y#50127

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:27:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:27 UTC

On Monday, 25 April 2022 at 00:05:55 UTC+1, Brian wrote:
> Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I’m curious, why not a 3 wheel one?
> >>
> >> I don’t claim to know about bandsaws but had looked at getting one
> >> previously and thought the two wheel ones were the inferior ones.
> >>
> >> I’m quite prepared to accept I am mistaken etc.
> >
> > I had a little old 3 wheel burgess, 70s thing. They were known for blades
> > breaking quickly. People think it's due to the small wheel diameter, but
> > it's not. The lack of rubber tyres meant that blade tension went up out
> > of control quickly as sawdust settled on the wheels. And the plastic
> > wheels wore as the blades went over them, losing their crown & becoming
> > unserviceable. All easily solved by adding tyres, but without that you've
> > got a dud. Oh, even once fixed their cutting capacity is pathetic, thin stuff only.
> >
> Your detailed experience suggestions the problem wasn’t so much having 3
> wheels but poor quality.
>
> With decent rubber tyres at least some of the issues would, it seems, be
> cured.
>
> As for cutting capacity, I assume that is due to power.
>

> Again, I don’t claim to be an expert when it comes to band saws.

It didn't lack power, the sizes just made cutting much depth impossible. The depth you can cut depend on blade dimensions, and there just wasn't room for a deep enough blade. IIRC it took half & quarter inch only, and these don't give enough rigidity to make cutting an inch workable.

Tooth spacing & geometry limit the thinnest material cuttable, the end result was that only a fairly narrow range of sheet thickness could be sawn. In summary they'd cut costs to the point where it was of very limited use.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<t48gqt$ad1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50167&group=uk.d-i-y#50167

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:17:01 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:17 UTC

On 26/04/2022 03:27, Animal wrote:
> On Monday, 25 April 2022 at 00:05:55 UTC+1, Brian wrote:
>> Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I had a little old 3 wheel burgess, 70s thing. They were known
>>> for blades breaking quickly. People think it's due to the small
>>> wheel diameter, but it's not. The lack of rubber tyres meant that
>>> blade tension went up out of control quickly as sawdust settled
>>> on the wheels. And the plastic wheels wore as the blades went
>>> over them, losing their crown & becoming unserviceable. All
>>> easily solved by adding tyres, but without that you've got a dud.
>>> Oh, even once fixed their cutting capacity is pathetic, thin
>>> stuff only.
>>>
>> Your detailed experience suggestions the problem wasn’t so much
>> having 3 wheels but poor quality.
>>
>> With decent rubber tyres at least some of the issues would, it
>> seems, be cured.
>>
>> As for cutting capacity, I assume that is due to power.
>>

>> Again, I don’t claim to be an expert when it comes to band saws.
>
> It didn't lack power, the sizes just made cutting much depth
> impossible. The depth you can cut depend on blade dimensions, and
> there just wasn't room for a deep enough blade. IIRC it took half &
> quarter inch only, and these don't give enough rigidity to make
> cutting an inch workable.

There are many factors that influence what cut capacity you can get IME.
I have successfully cut a shape out of a section of 4" fence post with a
1/4" blade for example.

The quality of the blade guides have a big impact, also being able to
get enough blade tension. Much depends also on the type of cut you are
making.

Deeper blades with few teeth are much better suited to resawing -
especially if you are taking thin cuts off dense hardwoods. For example,
I used a 3/4" blade with about 4 - 6 tpi to cut through the wide axis of
a 5x2" oak board to make lots of 1/4" panels when making this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Phone_stand_and_desk_tidy#Applying_a_finish

However successful cuts also depended on having very good material
support. I use a tall home made fence to give full height support. Set
the table angle accurately to make sure the blade is parallel to the
fence, and then plane two flat square sides to the material on the fence
and table sides.

> Tooth spacing & geometry limit the thinnest material cuttable, the
> end result was that only a fairly narrow range of sheet thickness
> could be sawn. In summary they'd cut costs to the point where it was
> of very limited use.

You normally want a couple of teeth in the material - so with a finish
blade 1/4" is usually fine - you can go a bit thinner. Below that you
probably want a scroll saw rather than a bandsaw when going thinner than
that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Bandsaw purchase

<aa7a1734-d6db-4263-b4ad-df0f9002d7f3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50195&group=uk.d-i-y#50195

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 05:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:51 UTC

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 11:17:05 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
> On 26/04/2022 03:27, Animal wrote:

> >> Your detailed experience suggestions the problem wasn’t so much
> >> having 3 wheels but poor quality.
> >>
> >> With decent rubber tyres at least some of the issues would, it
> >> seems, be cured.
> >>
> >> As for cutting capacity, I assume that is due to power.
> >>

> >> Again, I don’t claim to be an expert when it comes to band saws.
> >
> > It didn't lack power, the sizes just made cutting much depth
> > impossible. The depth you can cut depend on blade dimensions, and
> > there just wasn't room for a deep enough blade. IIRC it took half &
> > quarter inch only, and these don't give enough rigidity to make
> > cutting an inch workable.
> There are many factors that influence what cut capacity you can get IME.
> I have successfully cut a shape out of a section of 4" fence post with a
> 1/4" blade for example.
>
> The quality of the blade guides have a big impact, also being able to
> get enough blade tension. Much depends also on the type of cut you are
> making.
>
> Deeper blades with few teeth are much better suited to resawing -
> especially if you are taking thin cuts off dense hardwoods. For example,
> I used a 3/4" blade with about 4 - 6 tpi to cut through the wide axis of
> a 5x2" oak board to make lots of 1/4" panels when making this:
>
> http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Phone_stand_and_desk_tidy#Applying_a_finish
>
> However successful cuts also depended on having very good material
> support. I use a tall home made fence to give full height support. Set
> the table angle accurately to make sure the blade is parallel to the
> fence, and then plane two flat square sides to the material on the fence
> and table sides.
> > Tooth spacing & geometry limit the thinnest material cuttable, the
> > end result was that only a fairly narrow range of sheet thickness
> > could be sawn. In summary they'd cut costs to the point where it was
> > of very limited use.
> You normally want a couple of teeth in the material - so with a finish
> blade 1/4" is usually fine - you can go a bit thinner. Below that you
> probably want a scroll saw rather than a bandsaw when going thinner than
> that.

The Burgess just couldn't hold the blade straight with an inch of wood, with blade under max tension & top support as low as it could be. The situation was maximised by using a blade with few teeth, but that also made thin sheet not cuttable. Ya couldn't win.