Save gas, don't eat beans.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Making a ladder stand off

SubjectAuthor
* Making a ladder stand offleen...@yahoo.co.uk
+- Re: Making a ladder stand offGB
+* Re: Making a ladder stand offGB
|`- Re: Making a ladder stand offleen...@yahoo.co.uk
+- Re: Making a ladder stand offColin Bignell
+* Re: Making a ladder stand offwilliamwright
|+- Re: Making a ladder stand offRobin
|`* Re: Making a ladder stand offleen...@yahoo.co.uk
| +- Re: Making a ladder stand offMartin Brown
| +* Re: Making a ladder stand offDavidm
| |+- Re: Making a ladder stand offAndy Burns
| |+- Re: Making a ladder stand offSteve Walker
| |`- Re: Making a ladder stand offMartin Brown
| `* Re: Making a ladder stand offwilliamwright
|  `* Re: Making a ladder stand offleen...@yahoo.co.uk
|   +* Re: Making a ladder stand offGB
|   |+- Re: Making a ladder stand offleen...@yahoo.co.uk
|   |`* Re: Making a ladder stand offwilliamwright
|   | `* Re: Making a ladder stand offGB
|   |  `- Re: Making a ladder stand offRobin
|   `- Re: Making a ladder stand offwilliamwright
`* Re: Making a ladder stand offAnimal
 `* Re: Making a ladder stand offleen...@yahoo.co.uk
  `- Re: Making a ladder stand offAnimal

1
Making a ladder stand off

<4886be32-a6ea-46f8-8057-0f75391bb614n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50258&group=uk.d-i-y#50258

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:44:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Making a ladder stand off
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:44 UTC

Hi all,

I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.

I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.

What do you all think? Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee.

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<t49iu9$9fj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50259&group=uk.d-i-y#50259

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Making a ladder stand off
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 20:59:06 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:59 UTC

On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
>
> I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
>
> What do you all think? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee.

That is possible, but it sounds insanely dangerous - unless you live in
a bungalow, maybe.

It might be safer to make a 12" box that you screw to the house, just
under the gutter, then lean the ladder against that?

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<t49ivf$9fj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50260&group=uk.d-i-y#50260

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 20:59:45 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:59 UTC

On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
>
> I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
>
> What do you all think? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee.

I have a stand off you can borrow - pick up from N London.

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<9085377d-3335-4451-9977-bdbc346a7f65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50261&group=uk.d-i-y#50261

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 20:12 UTC

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 20:59:47 UTC+1, GB wrote:
> On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
> >
> > I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
> >
> > What do you all think? Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Lee.
> I have a stand off you can borrow - pick up from N London.

Thanks very much for the offer that is very kind of you. It is a bit far for me to come but the offer is much appreciated.

Wet the box idea yeah that sounds safer but the house is rendered so would damage the wall

Thanks

Lee.

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<RomdndirhpVg5_X_nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50282&group=uk.d-i-y#50282

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 00:06:36 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 23:06 UTC

On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
>
> I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
>
> What do you all think? Any ideas?

Make sure you have somebody standing by to call the ambulance if it
doesn't work.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<jcrms7F2ebbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50288&group=uk.d-i-y#50288

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 03:08:07 +0100
 by: williamwright - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:08 UTC

On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
>
> I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
>
> What do you all think? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee.

If the ladder isn't long enough to rest on the gutter it isn't long enough.
But to make a stand-off, use a length of timber of about four foot. This
sits on the wall and is horizontal. The following is fixed centrally to
that timber. Fix two lengths (A and B) spaced apart the distance between
the side rails of the ladder. Fix two lengths (C and D) spaced apart
slightly less than the distance between the side rails. All four (A - D)
are pivoted vertically using bolts and angle brackets, not door hinges.
Make four U bolts; use two of these to attach A and B to the ends of a
rung. Use the other two to attach C and D to the ends of the next rung
down.

Bill

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<7913d2b5-7b3b-44a2-08a5-054d9ce91e8f@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50306&group=uk.d-i-y#50306

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:05:49 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:05 UTC

On 27/04/2022 03:08, williamwright wrote:
> On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the
>> ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter.  It would need to
>> push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether
>> it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
>>
>> I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads
>> hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal
>> bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something
>> the other.
>>
>> What do you all think? Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Lee.
>
> If the ladder isn't long enough to rest on the gutter it isn't long enough.
> But to make a stand-off, use a length of timber of about four foot. This
> sits on the wall and is horizontal. The following is fixed centrally to
> that timber. Fix two lengths (A and B) spaced apart the distance between
> the side rails of the ladder.  Fix two lengths (C and D) spaced apart
> slightly less than the distance between the side rails. All four (A - D)
> are pivoted vertically using bolts and angle brackets, not door hinges.
> Make four U bolts; use two of these to attach A and B to the ends of a
> rung. Use the other two to attach C and D to the ends of the next rung
> down.

As an ageing weakling I'd just add that it could end up significantly
heavier than a commercial, metal one. I find even a couple of kg makes
a difference when at the end of 8m of ladder.

--
Robin

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<f48089cf-91ef-4a26-811e-7d7ee9e87acfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50327&group=uk.d-i-y#50327

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:18:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:18 UTC

On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 03:08:12 UTC+1, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
> >
> > I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
> >
> > What do you all think? Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Lee.
> If the ladder isn't long enough to rest on the gutter it isn't long enough.
> But to make a stand-off, use a length of timber of about four foot. This
> sits on the wall and is horizontal. The following is fixed centrally to
> that timber. Fix two lengths (A and B) spaced apart the distance between
> the side rails of the ladder. Fix two lengths (C and D) spaced apart
> slightly less than the distance between the side rails. All four (A - D)
> are pivoted vertically using bolts and angle brackets, not door hinges.
> Make four U bolts; use two of these to attach A and B to the ends of a
> rung. Use the other two to attach C and D to the ends of the next rung
> down.
>
> Bill
The ladder is long enough the problem is that the guttering is made of plastic so didn't think that it would hold the load. It did give me another idea. I wonder if I can get up close enough to remove a piece of gutter then rest it on the soffit. I am not 100% on ladders so don't fancy standing up vertically on the ladder without being able to hold on. I have seen others stand on them as if they were stairs

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<t4b2eb$172e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50332&group=uk.d-i-y#50332

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:29:46 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:29 UTC

On 27/04/2022 10:18, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 03:08:12 UTC+1, wrights...@f2s.com
> wrote:
>> On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get
>>> the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would
>>> need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was
>>> wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will
>>> only need it once or twice.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have
>>> loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by
>>> screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length
>>> of 2x2 or something the other.
>>>
>>> What do you all think? Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Lee.
>> If the ladder isn't long enough to rest on the gutter it isn't long
>> enough. But to make a stand-off, use a length of timber of about
>> four foot. This sits on the wall and is horizontal. The following
>> is fixed centrally to that timber. Fix two lengths (A and B) spaced
>> apart the distance between the side rails of the ladder. Fix two
>> lengths (C and D) spaced apart slightly less than the distance
>> between the side rails. All four (A - D) are pivoted vertically
>> using bolts and angle brackets, not door hinges. Make four U bolts;
>> use two of these to attach A and B to the ends of a rung. Use the
>> other two to attach C and D to the ends of the next rung down.
>>
>> Bill
> The ladder is long enough the problem is that the guttering is made
> of plastic so didn't think that it would hold the load. It did give
> me another idea. I wonder if I can get up close enough to remove a
> piece of gutter then rest it on the soffit. I am not 100% on ladders
> so don't fancy standing up vertically on the ladder without being
> able to hold on. I have seen others stand on them as if they were
> stairs

One thing to remember is that gravity is very unforgiving.
I hate working at heights.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<l56i6htivq6jei8n995vcibg0e80labre9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50352&group=uk.d-i-y#50352

From: davidm_u...@hotmail.com (Davidm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:23:32 +0100
 by: Davidm - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:23 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:18:44 -0700 (PDT), "leen...@yahoo.co.uk"
<leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 03:08:12 UTC+1, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>> On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
>> >
>> > I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
>> >
>> > What do you all think? Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Lee.
>> If the ladder isn't long enough to rest on the gutter it isn't long enough.
>> But to make a stand-off, use a length of timber of about four foot. This
>> sits on the wall and is horizontal. The following is fixed centrally to
>> that timber. Fix two lengths (A and B) spaced apart the distance between
>> the side rails of the ladder. Fix two lengths (C and D) spaced apart
>> slightly less than the distance between the side rails. All four (A - D)
>> are pivoted vertically using bolts and angle brackets, not door hinges.
>> Make four U bolts; use two of these to attach A and B to the ends of a
>> rung. Use the other two to attach C and D to the ends of the next rung
>> down.
>>
>> Bill
>The ladder is long enough the problem is that the guttering is made of plastic so didn't think that it would hold the load. It did give me another idea. I wonder if I can get up close enough to remove a piece of gutter then rest it on the soffit. I am not 100% on ladders so don't fancy standing up vertically on the ladder without being able to hold on. I have seen others stand on them as if they were stairs

If you haven't done it before, the easy bit is getting off the top of
the ladder onto the roof. The hard bit is getting back down the
sloping roof and then getting a secure footing onto the ladder.
I've seen and heard of instances where someone has got up onto their
roof to sort a problem out, then had to call fire & rescue to get them
back down again.

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<jcsmhvF8627U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50368&group=uk.d-i-y#50368

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:08:46 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:08 UTC

Davidm wrote:

> If you haven't done it before, the easy bit is getting off the top of
> the ladder onto the roof. The hard bit is getting back down the
> sloping roof and then getting a secure footing onto the ladder.

Yep, I did it 16 years ago to fit TV/FM/DAB aerials, but won't do it nowadays.

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<jcsqs7F9087U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50387&group=uk.d-i-y#50387

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:22:32 +0100
 by: williamwright - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:22 UTC

On 27/04/2022 10:18, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 03:08:12 UTC+1, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>> On 26/04/2022 20:44, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
>>>
>>> What do you all think? Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Lee.
>> If the ladder isn't long enough to rest on the gutter it isn't long enough.
>> But to make a stand-off, use a length of timber of about four foot. This
>> sits on the wall and is horizontal. The following is fixed centrally to
>> that timber. Fix two lengths (A and B) spaced apart the distance between
>> the side rails of the ladder. Fix two lengths (C and D) spaced apart
>> slightly less than the distance between the side rails. All four (A - D)
>> are pivoted vertically using bolts and angle brackets, not door hinges.
>> Make four U bolts; use two of these to attach A and B to the ends of a
>> rung. Use the other two to attach C and D to the ends of the next rung
>> down.
>>
>> Bill
> The ladder is long enough the problem is that the guttering is made of plastic so didn't think that it would hold the load. It did give me another idea. I wonder if I can get up close enough to remove a piece of gutter then rest it on the soffit. I am not 100% on ladders so don't fancy standing up vertically on the ladder without being able to hold on. I have seen others stand on them as if they were stairs

Just wedge a length of timber inside the gutter to support its wall.

Bill

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<17dcc80f-abea-4ca0-b3ef-bc597ff116fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50390&group=uk.d-i-y#50390

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 05:28:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:28 UTC

On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 13:22:36 UTC+1, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> On 27/04/2022 10:18, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> >> If the ladder isn't long enough to rest on the gutter it isn't long enough.
> >> But to make a stand-off, use a length of timber of about four foot. This
> >> sits on the wall and is horizontal. The following is fixed centrally to
> >> that timber. Fix two lengths (A and B) spaced apart the distance between
> >> the side rails of the ladder. Fix two lengths (C and D) spaced apart
> >> slightly less than the distance between the side rails. All four (A - D)
> >> are pivoted vertically using bolts and angle brackets, not door hinges..
> >> Make four U bolts; use two of these to attach A and B to the ends of a
> >> rung. Use the other two to attach C and D to the ends of the next rung
> >> down.
> >>
> >> Bill
> > The ladder is long enough the problem is that the guttering is made of plastic so didn't think that it would hold the load. It did give me another idea. I wonder if I can get up close enough to remove a piece of gutter then rest it on the soffit. I am not 100% on ladders so don't fancy standing up vertically on the ladder without being able to hold on. I have seen others stand on them as if they were stairs
> Just wedge a length of timber inside the gutter to support its wall.
>
> Bill

What a great idea. I will probably need to put some timber between the gutter and soffit too so as to not snap a bracket but that definitely sounds doable.

Thanks

Lee.

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<t4bd4a$dn0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50391&group=uk.d-i-y#50391

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:32:12 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:32 UTC

On 27/04/2022 13:28, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> What a great idea. I will probably need to put some timber between the gutter and soffit too so as to not snap a bracket but that definitely sounds doable.

It's a square gutter then, not half round?

> Thanks
>
> Lee.

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<baeb9bf4-1f90-44d3-a621-ca4383c1c2cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50399&group=uk.d-i-y#50399

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 05:54:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:54 UTC

On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 13:32:14 UTC+1, GB wrote:
> On 27/04/2022 13:28, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > What a great idea. I will probably need to put some timber between the gutter and soffit too so as to not snap a bracket but that definitely sounds doable.
> >
> It's a square gutter then, not half round?
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > Lee.
It is an ogee shaped gutter so has a nice ledge for the timber to sit on too 🙂

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<t4bl0q$ejf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50411&group=uk.d-i-y#50411

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:46:51 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:46 UTC

On 27/04/2022 11:23, Davidm wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:18:44 -0700 (PDT), "leen...@yahoo.co.uk"
> <leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> If the ladder isn't long enough to rest on the gutter it isn't long enough.
>>> But to make a stand-off, use a length of timber of about four foot. This
>>> sits on the wall and is horizontal. The following is fixed centrally to
>>> that timber. Fix two lengths (A and B) spaced apart the distance between
>>> the side rails of the ladder. Fix two lengths (C and D) spaced apart
>>> slightly less than the distance between the side rails. All four (A - D)
>>> are pivoted vertically using bolts and angle brackets, not door hinges.
>>> Make four U bolts; use two of these to attach A and B to the ends of a
>>> rung. Use the other two to attach C and D to the ends of the next rung
>>> down.
>>>
>>> Bill
>> The ladder is long enough the problem is that the guttering is made of plastic so didn't think that it would hold the load. It did give me another idea. I wonder if I can get up close enough to remove a piece of gutter then rest it on the soffit. I am not 100% on ladders so don't fancy standing up vertically on the ladder without being able to hold on. I have seen others stand on them as if they were stairs
>
> If you haven't done it before, the easy bit is getting off the top of
> the ladder onto the roof. The hard bit is getting back down the
> sloping roof and then getting a secure footing onto the ladder.
> I've seen and heard of instances where someone has got up onto their
> roof to sort a problem out, then had to call fire & rescue to get them
> back down again.

That happened to my Best Man's father (preventing the Best Man from
attending our engagement party) - only in his case, it wasn't fear of
falling, but the fact that he died of a heart attack up there!

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<t4bp71$mjv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50420&group=uk.d-i-y#50420

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:58:25 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 15:58 UTC

On 27/04/2022 11:23, Davidm wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 02:18:44 -0700 (PDT), "leen...@yahoo.co.uk"
> <leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 03:08:12 UTC+1, wrights...@f2s.com
>> wrote:
>>> On 2
>> The ladder is long enough the problem is that the guttering is made
>> of plastic so didn't think that it would hold the load. It did
>> give me another idea. I wonder if I can get up close enough to
>> remove a piece of gutter then rest it on the soffit. I am not 100%
>> on ladders so don't fancy standing up vertically on the ladder
>> without being able to hold on. I have seen others stand on them as
>> if they were stairs
>
> If you haven't done it before, the easy bit is getting off the top
> of the ladder onto the roof. The hard bit is getting back down the
> sloping roof and then getting a secure footing onto the ladder. I've
> seen and heard of instances where someone has got up onto their roof
> to sort a problem out, then had to call fire & rescue to get them
> back down again.

I was thinking of relating that tale made real. An aerial rigger (who
should have known better) got caught out on the high roof opposite me.

He had a mate with him fortunately so emergency services rescue wasn't
needed. He went up the ladder OK and got onto the roof which has a
misleading dual slope - shallow initially and then much steeper.

He quickly bounded up it only to reach the top and then look down again.
He ended up sat on a ridge tile clinging to the antenna bracket he had
gone up to adjust.

Apex of the roof must be 45' off the ground and the gutter line at 30'.

It is a hell of a long way down and going up is much easier than coming
back down under control. His mate had to get a cat ladder off the van
and then run it up to the ridge to rescue him. It is bad for the clay
pan tiles to have people stomping on them in heavy boots anyway.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<jcth1bFd67lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50428&group=uk.d-i-y#50428

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:40:45 +0100
 by: williamwright - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:40 UTC

On 27/04/2022 13:28, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> Just wedge a length of timber inside the gutter to support its wall.
>>
>> Bill
> What a great idea. I will probably need to put some timber between the gutter and soffit too so as to not snap a bracket but that definitely sounds doable.

It's standard practice in the aerial game. Incidentally most decent
plastic guttering is surprisingly strong. It's only the cheap shite that
gets affected by sunlight. That stuff shatters into a million bits as
soon as the ladder touches it.

The worst thing with gutters is when they're cast iron. You look at it
and it seems fine. But when the ladder touches it a long length falls to
the concrete and shatters.

Bill

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<jcth2uFd67lU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50429&group=uk.d-i-y#50429

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:41:35 +0100
 by: williamwright - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:41 UTC

On 27/04/2022 13:32, GB wrote:
> On 27/04/2022 13:28, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
>> What a great idea. I will probably need to put some timber between the
>> gutter and soffit too so as to not snap a bracket but that definitely
>> sounds doable.
>>

> It's a square gutter then, not half round?
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Lee.

It works with any shape.

Bill

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<e3e8a163-1bea-4681-b66f-c63a0ac3ee25n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50456&group=uk.d-i-y#50456

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 22:08:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 05:08 UTC

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 20:44:17 UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
>
> I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
>
> What do you all think? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee.

done that before, trivial to make. Just be thorough :)

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<664dc6f5-8525-45a6-b4bb-1b7c8ff75b92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50458&group=uk.d-i-y#50458

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 23:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:27 UTC

On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 06:08:37 UTC+1, Animal wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 20:44:17 UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
> >
> > I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
> >
> > What do you all think? Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Lee.
> done that before, trivial to make. Just be thorough :)
How did you make it?

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<t4dqp4$7eb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50496&group=uk.d-i-y#50496

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:37:25 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:37 UTC

On 27/04/2022 19:41, williamwright wrote:
> On 27/04/2022 13:32, GB wrote:
>> On 27/04/2022 13:28, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>> What a great idea. I will probably need to put some timber between
>>> the gutter and soffit too so as to not snap a bracket but that
>>> definitely sounds doable.
>>>

>> It's a square gutter then, not half round?
>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Lee.
>>
> It works with any shape.

Do the half round gutters just bend around the wood then?

> Bill

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<70f7c38c-987a-4c0b-bbfd-38ee972ae55dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50525&group=uk.d-i-y#50525

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:43 UTC

On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 07:27:26 UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 06:08:37 UTC+1, Animal wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 20:44:17 UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was wondering whether it is viable to make my own given that I will only need it once or twice.
> > >
> > > I was thinking of fashioning something out of timber (I have loads hanging around) or maybe create a couple of struts by screwing a metal bracket/ plate one side of the rung and a length of 2x2 or something the other.
> > >
> > > What do you all think? Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Lee.
> > done that before, trivial to make. Just be thorough :)
> How did you make it?

2x2 planed, heavy duty brackets, long screws. The key points with things like this are:
1. You need to assess every possible mode of failure, ensuring the thing can cope with it with safety margin
2. There could be legal implications if you lend it to others. Don't let employees use it
The uspide with things like this is they're cheap, easy, and can be made to any configuration you need any time. If you need a ladder set with odd shape for a tricky job, no problem. If you get it wrong, payback is merciless.

Re: Making a ladder stand off

<22aa29a9-4364-cb52-a006-d68ef39948bd@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50566&group=uk.d-i-y#50566

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 20:38:31 +0100
 by: Robin - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:38 UTC

On 28/04/2022 11:37, GB wrote:
> On 27/04/2022 19:41, williamwright wrote:

>>> It's a square gutter then, not half round?

>> It works with any shape.
>
> Do the half round gutters just bend around the wood then?

We may be on different geometries. Consider a bit of wood close to the
width of the gutter. The ladder rests against the top edge of the
gutter (or the edge of the wood depending on size). A piece of wood
that's close to the width of the gutter stops the edge of the gutter
being bent inwards. The wood can't fall straight down into a half round
gutter. (Anyhow, use a big enough bit - e.g. a bit of 4x4 fence post -
and it literally can't). It might rotate - but for the fact Bill said to
wedge it.

That said, I bought a stand-off 40 years ago.

--
Robin