Entropy isn't what it used to be.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

SubjectAuthor
* OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Bev
+* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Martin Brown
|`- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Harry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Colin Bignell
|+* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Harry Bloomfield Esq
||+- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Jock
||+- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Colin Bignell
||`- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Bob Eager
|`* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
| +* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Colin Bignell
| |+* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
| ||`* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Colin Bignell
| || +- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
| || `- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
| |`- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
| `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?alan_m
|  +- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
|  `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
|   +- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Rod Speed
|   +* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?#Paul
|   |`- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
|   `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Tim Streater
|    `- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Dave Plowman (News)
`* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?The Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Bev
  `* Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?The Natural Philosopher
   `- Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?Pancho

Pages:12
OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<t4dr3g$us2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50499&group=uk.d-i-y#50499

From: Bev...@invalid.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:42:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:42 UTC

Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage with
my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated eye)my near
vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough for me not to be
able to read or use computers.

I'm considering buying a pair of non prescription reading glasses to tide
me over til I can have my eyes tested and new scripts prepared. Any
views on this and where the best place to get them is?

Also is it feasible to have eye test and script for one eye say 6 weeks
after op as a 'permanent' solution and for second eye to be done at same
time as a temporary script (which would be 3 weeks post op) but then
follow up with a second test a few weeks later with the intention of
having only that lens replaced in glasses if its needed.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<t4dsf8$dsq$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50504&group=uk.d-i-y#50504

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:06:15 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:06 UTC

On 28/04/2022 11:42, Bev wrote:
> Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage with
> my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated eye)my near
> vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough for me not to be
> able to read or use computers.

I'm no expert but for the short term you can probably get away with a
pair of the cheapest reading glasses that feel comfortable and give you
a nice sharp image at working distance to a book or computer screen.

Places that sell them tend to have test charts and mirrors on the stand.
I have a pair that were much less than my official prescription since at
computer screen distances I just don't need it. I only really need my
full glasses prescription for fine work on PCBs and electronics.

> I'm considering buying a pair of non prescription reading glasses to tide
> me over til I can have my eyes tested and new scripts prepared. Any
> views on this and where the best place to get them is?

Wherever is cheapest. I'd delay having a proper eye test until the eyes
have had time to settle down again. No point in having two tests.

> Also is it feasible to have eye test and script for one eye say 6 weeks
> after op as a 'permanent' solution and for second eye to be done at same
> time as a temporary script (which would be 3 weeks post op) but then
> follow up with a second test a few weeks later with the intention of
> having only that lens replaced in glasses if its needed.

Chances are it will be needed so better to use a cheap interim solution
to get you by. Things can be quite annoying if you end up with each eye
seeing a different magnification or focus. Enough to cause a headache.

If you have a dominant eye correcting for that one will give you the
least annoying situation. Usually both eyes when corrected are better
than either one individually.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<8sydnarHQO-SBff_nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50523&group=uk.d-i-y#50523

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:35:09 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:35 UTC

On 28/04/2022 11:42, Bev wrote:
> Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage with
> my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated eye)my near
> vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough for me not to be
> able to read or use computers.
>
> I'm considering buying a pair of non prescription reading glasses to tide
> me over til I can have my eyes tested and new scripts prepared. Any
> views on this and where the best place to get them is?

My late partner's flat was always littered with non-prescription reading
glasses after her cataract operations. (She tended to put them down and
forget where, so a quantity ensured she would always find a pair). They
worked fine for her and she bought them at places like pound shops and
other discount stores.

> Also is it feasible to have eye test and script for one eye say 6 weeks
> after op as a 'permanent' solution and for second eye to be done at same
> time as a temporary script (which would be 3 weeks post op) but then
> follow up with a second test a few weeks later with the intention of
> having only that lens replaced in glasses if its needed.

That, I would say, is something your optician is best placed to advise on.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<t4e9lt$ill$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50535&group=uk.d-i-y#50535

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:51:41 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:51 UTC

On 28/04/2022 11:42, Bev wrote:
> Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage with
> my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated eye)my near
> vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough for me not to be
> able to read or use computers.
>
> I'm considering buying a pair of non prescription reading glasses to tide
> me over til I can have my eyes tested and new scripts prepared. Any
> views on this and where the best place to get them is?

anywhere frankly. Ive used Boots Tescos and Waitrose in the past. lenses
all good qualaity. foe frame quality YMMV.
If you are free of astig. its the way to go. aqbout 1.25 for puter and
1.75 to 2.5 fgor reading

Assuming replacement lenses are set to 'infinity'.

I run with bifocals so that +1.25 to read the cars instrument panel is
available while driving...

> Also is it feasible to have eye test and script for one eye say 6 weeks
> after op as a 'permanent' solution and for second eye to be done at same
> time as a temporary script (which would be 3 weeks post op) but then
> follow up with a second test a few weeks later with the intention of
> having only that lens replaced in glasses if its needed.

I would wait till they are all done and then get a thorough test done.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<t4ecmv$b1h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50545&group=uk.d-i-y#50545

From: Bev...@invalid.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:43:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:43 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:51:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> On 28/04/2022 11:42, Bev wrote:
>> Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage
>> with my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated
>> eye)my near vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough for me
>> not to be able to read or use computers.
>>
>> I'm considering buying a pair of non prescription reading glasses to
>> tide me over til I can have my eyes tested and new scripts prepared.
>> Any views on this and where the best place to get them is?
>>
> anywhere frankly. Ive used Boots Tescos and Waitrose in the past. lenses
> all good qualaity. foe frame quality YMMV.
> If you are free of astig. its the way to go. aqbout 1.25 for puter and
> 1.75 to 2.5 fgor reading
>
> Assuming replacement lenses are set to 'infinity'.
>
> I run with bifocals so that +1.25 to read the cars instrument panel is
> available while driving...
>
>> Also is it feasible to have eye test and script for one eye say 6 weeks
>> after op as a 'permanent' solution and for second eye to be done at
>> same time as a temporary script (which would be 3 weeks post op) but
>> then follow up with a second test a few weeks later with the intention
>> of having only that lens replaced in glasses if its needed.
>
> I would wait till they are all done and then get a thorough test done.

Thank TNP et al for the suggestions. I'll go for some +2 and see how I
get on. Presumably the bifocals you have are plain glass attop with the
bottom +1.25.

That would probably work for me too.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<t4eedu$qek$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50550&group=uk.d-i-y#50550

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:12:45 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:12 UTC

On 28/04/2022 16:43, Bev wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:51:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> On 28/04/2022 11:42, Bev wrote:
>>> Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage
>>> with my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated
>>> eye)my near vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough for me
>>> not to be able to read or use computers.
>>>
>>> I'm considering buying a pair of non prescription reading glasses to
>>> tide me over til I can have my eyes tested and new scripts prepared.
>>> Any views on this and where the best place to get them is?
>>>
>> anywhere frankly. Ive used Boots Tescos and Waitrose in the past. lenses
>> all good qualaity. foe frame quality YMMV.
>> If you are free of astig. its the way to go. aqbout 1.25 for puter and
>> 1.75 to 2.5 fgor reading
>>
>> Assuming replacement lenses are set to 'infinity'.
>>
>> I run with bifocals so that +1.25 to read the cars instrument panel is
>> available while driving...
>>
>>> Also is it feasible to have eye test and script for one eye say 6 weeks
>>> after op as a 'permanent' solution and for second eye to be done at
>>> same time as a temporary script (which would be 3 weeks post op) but
>>> then follow up with a second test a few weeks later with the intention
>>> of having only that lens replaced in glasses if its needed.
>>
>> I would wait till they are all done and then get a thorough test done.
>
> Thank TNP et al for the suggestions. I'll go for some +2 and see how I
> get on. Presumably the bifocals you have are plain glass attop with the
> bottom +1.25.
I found +2,5 for reading best I have +3.5 for doing models and fiddly
stuff like electrinocs best

I have in fact not had cataract ops so my bifocals are full astigmatism
correctors and long sight correctors as well

For just reading or driving you can get a pair of look over the top
glasses whatever they are called. But not from Boots!

Once you know what you need close-up wise, then get a full eye test and
order what suits your lifestyle

> That would probably work for me too.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<t4ehs0$4p2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50553&group=uk.d-i-y#50553

From: Pancho.D...@outlook.com (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:11:27 +0100
 by: Pancho - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:11 UTC

> I have in fact not had cataract ops so my bifocals are full astigmatism
> correctors and long sight correctors as well

My astigmatisms are -1.0 -1.25. For really fiddly close up, astigmatism
doesn't matter so much, but gets more important the further away the object.

> For just reading or driving you can get a pair of look over the top
> glasses whatever they are called. But not from Boots!

For reading, they are called half-eye.

I just use different glasses, dependent on what I'm doing.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<t4eibm$fbm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50554&group=uk.d-i-y#50554

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:19:49 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:19 UTC

Martin Brown explained :
> I'm no expert but for the short term you can probably get away with a pair of
> the cheapest reading glasses that feel comfortable and give you a nice sharp
> image at working distance to a book or computer screen.
>
> Places that sell them tend to have test charts and mirrors on the stand.
> I have a pair that were much less than my official prescription since at
> computer screen distances I just don't need it. I only really need my full
> glasses prescription for fine work on PCBs and electronics.

Pound shops usually sell +1 to +3.5 and I find them to be good enough
for general purposes and cheap to replace. Rather than rely on the
charts, I take along my own card with suitably small print on it.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<t4eihe$inp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50555&group=uk.d-i-y#50555

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:22:53 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:22 UTC

Colin Bignell brought next idea :
> My late partner's flat was always littered with non-prescription reading
> glasses after her cataract operations. (She tended to put them down and
> forget where, so a quantity ensured she would always find a pair).

That doesn't work for me, my eyes tend to adjust to a pair of glasses,
so swapping to another pair, even if the same diopter can take a while
to get used to.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<op.1lcj3ar2byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50559&group=uk.d-i-y#50559

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 03:55:48 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:55 UTC

Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote
> Bev wrote

>> Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage
>> with
>> my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated eye)my near
>> vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough for me not to be
>> able to read or use computers.
>> I'm considering buying a pair of non prescription reading glasses to
>> tide
>> me over til I can have my eyes tested and new scripts prepared. Any
>> views on this and where the best place to get them is?
>
> My late partner's flat was always littered with non-prescription reading
> glasses after her cataract operations. (She tended to put them down and
> forget where, so a quantity ensured she would always find a pair). They
> worked fine for her and she bought them at places like pound shops and
> other discount stores.

I am due to have mine done, but it has ended up with a complete
shambles because the ophthalmologist that used to show up in
my town chose to retire and it isn't clear if another in the town
he used to come from will decided to do that now. And covid.

When researching, as I always do with something that
important, I was stunned to discover that some who have
their cataracts done no longer need glasses after that.
When one who did end up needing glasses asked their
ophthalmologist why they needed glasses when others
didn't the stupid ophthalmologist just said "you didn't
say that you wanted that"

My BiL has just had his done but I haven't asked about that with his yet.

Nothing obvious with google or wiki, just a bit of a hint that
it is possible in the wiki.

>> Also is it feasible to have eye test and script for one eye say 6 weeks
>> after op as a 'permanent' solution and for second eye to be done at same
>> time as a temporary script (which would be 3 weeks post op) but then
>> follow up with a second test a few weeks later with the intention of
>> having only that lens replaced in glasses if its needed.
>
> That, I would say, is something your optician is best placed to advise
> on.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<op.1lck8ckhc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50562&group=uk.d-i-y#50562

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 04:20:26 +1000
 by: Jock - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:20 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 03:22:53 +1000, Harry Bloomfield Esq
<a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

> Colin Bignell brought next idea :
>> My late partner's flat was always littered with non-prescription
>> reading glasses after her cataract operations. (She tended to put them
>> down and forget where, so a quantity ensured she would always find a
>> pair).
>
> That doesn't work for me, my eyes tend to adjust to a pair of glasses,
> so swapping to another pair, even if the same diopter can take a while
> to get used to.

I have only got that effect once. I used to wait quite a while
between new prescriptions and assume that that time the
change was bigger than normal.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<qZidnRnNoufsg_b_nZ2dnUU7-WnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50581&group=uk.d-i-y#50581

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 00:08:32 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:08 UTC

On 28/04/2022 18:55, Rod Speed wrote:
> When researching, as I always do with something that
> important, I was stunned to discover that some who have
> their cataracts done no longer need glasses after that.
> When one who did end up needing glasses asked their
> ophthalmologist why they needed glasses when others
> didn't the stupid ophthalmologist just said "you didn't
> say that you wanted that"

My partner had her vision corrected. It was offered by the surgeon, but
I had it done privately, rather than waiting months for the NHS, which
could be a factor. The correction was, on his recommendation, to about
one dioptre less than perfect eyesight. I forget the reason why. She
still needed glasses for reading.

> My BiL has just had his done but I haven't asked about that with his yet.
>
> Nothing obvious with google or wiki, just a bit of a hint that
> it is possible in the wiki.

It is done by shaping the lenses fitted during the operation.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<iqudnWYmf62Fvfb_nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50582&group=uk.d-i-y#50582

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 00:15:35 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:15 UTC

On 28/04/2022 18:22, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> Colin Bignell brought next idea :
>> My late partner's flat was always littered with non-prescription
>> reading glasses after her cataract operations. (She tended to put them
>> down and forget where, so a quantity ensured she would always find a
>> pair).
>
> That doesn't work for me, my eyes tend to adjust to a pair of glasses,
> so swapping to another pair, even if the same diopter can take a while
> to get used to.

That is usually due to the cylindrical component in prescription
glasses, which cheap reading glasses don't have.

I have had to return prescription glasses when one of two pairs, bought
together, had the alignment of the cylindrical component a fraction of a
degree different in each. While the difference was within permitted
manufacturing tolerances, it was enough to make it impossible to swap
between them seamlessly.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<jd0lu3Fo0nmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50583&group=uk.d-i-y#50583

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 28 Apr 2022 23:22:43 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:22 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:22:53 +0100, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:

> Colin Bignell brought next idea :
>> My late partner's flat was always littered with non-prescription
>> reading glasses after her cataract operations. (She tended to put them
>> down and forget where, so a quantity ensured she would always find a
>> pair).
>
> That doesn't work for me, my eyes tend to adjust to a pair of glasses,
> so swapping to another pair, even if the same diopter can take a while
> to get used to.

I carry a monocle on a string hung round my neck.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<op.1lcz1xc9byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50586&group=uk.d-i-y#50586

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:40:35 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:40 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:08:32 +1000, Colin Bignell
<cpb@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote:

> On 28/04/2022 18:55, Rod Speed wrote:
>> When researching, as I always do with something that
>> important, I was stunned to discover that some who have
>> their cataracts done no longer need glasses after that.
>> When one who did end up needing glasses asked their
>> ophthalmologist why they needed glasses when others
>> didn't the stupid ophthalmologist just said "you didn't
>> say that you wanted that"
>
> My partner had her vision corrected. It was offered by the surgeon, but
> I had it done privately, rather than waiting months for the NHS, which
> could be a factor. The correction was, on his recommendation, to about
> one dioptre less than perfect eyesight. I forget the reason why. She
> still needed glasses for reading.

I wasnt talking about correcting vision, I was talking about whether
there is a need for reading glasses after the cataract operation.

Can't see how that wouldn't be needed given that the artificial
lens is not variable and the original natural lens was but those
who claim that they no longer need any glasses are adament
that they don't even for reading after the op.

>> My BiL has just had his done but I haven't asked about that with his
>> yet.
>> Nothing obvious with google or wiki, just a bit of a hint that
>> it is possible in the wiki.
>
> It is done by shaping the lenses fitted during the operation.

You are again talking about correction not how the eye
can focus on infinity and print for reading with a lens
which is not adjustable by the eye muscles.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<jd1gbcF5ssiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50602&group=uk.d-i-y#50602

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 07:53:32 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 06:53 UTC

On 28/04/2022 18:55, Rod Speed wrote:

> When researching, as I always do with something that
> important, I was stunned to discover that some who have
> their cataracts done no longer need glasses after that.
> When one who did end up needing glasses asked their
> ophthalmologist why they needed glasses when others
> didn't the stupid ophthalmologist just said "you didn't
> say that you wanted that"You may/will have too go private for the

There are different cataract lens replacements but only one type
available on the NHS. The NHS can only offer cataract a monofocal lens
implant. You will have to go private for the all singing and dancing
type. Prices seem to vary a lot for private but some companies are
quoting around "from" £4k per eye for vision corrected lenses but from
my limited research there are a lot more fees on top of that.

I'm have one eye done in the next few weeks under the NHS and I've been
told that I will still need glasses for reading. I actually still need
glasses for my other eye for distance but a plain lens for distance for
the eye that will be operated on.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<op.1ldl5cg2byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50604&group=uk.d-i-y#50604

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:37:50 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 07:37 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> When researching, as I always do with something that
>> important, I was stunned to discover that some who have
>> their cataracts done no longer need glasses after that.
>> When one who did end up needing glasses asked their
>> ophthalmologist why they needed glasses when others
>> didn't the stupid ophthalmologist just said "you didn't
>> say that you wanted that"You may/will have too go private for the

> There are different cataract lens replacements but only one type
> available on the NHS. The NHS can only offer cataract a monofocal lens
> implant. You will have to go private for the all singing and dancing
> type.

Are you saying that the all singing and dancing type does allow
you to never wear glasses at all, even when reading and doing
very close work ? How does that actually work lens wise ?

> Prices seem to vary a lot for private but some companies are quoting
> around "from" £4k per eye for vision corrected lenses butfrom my
> limited research there are a lot more fees on top of that.

> I'm have one eye done in the next few weeks under the NHS and I've been
> told that I will still need glasses for reading. I actually still need
> glasses for my other eye for distance but a plain lens for distance for
> the eye that will be operated on.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<08Cdnej-8pwxAfb_nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50611&group=uk.d-i-y#50611

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:07:07 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 08:07 UTC

On 29/04/2022 00:40, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:08:32 +1000, Colin Bignell
> <cpb@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 28/04/2022 18:55, Rod Speed wrote:
>>> When researching, as I always do with something that
>>> important, I was stunned to discover that some who have
>>> their cataracts done no longer need glasses after that.
>>> When one who did end up needing glasses asked their
>>> ophthalmologist why they needed glasses when others
>>> didn't the stupid ophthalmologist just said "you didn't
>>> say that you wanted that"
>>
>> My partner had her vision corrected. It was offered by the surgeon,
>> but I had it done privately, rather than waiting months for the NHS,
>> which could be a factor. The correction was, on his recommendation, to
>> about one dioptre less than perfect eyesight. I forget the reason why.
>> She still needed glasses for reading.
>
> I wasnt talking about correcting vision, I was talking about whether
> there is a need for reading glasses after the cataract operation.

I misunderstood your post. My partner certainly needed reading glasses
after her operation and a different strength pair to use the computer.

> Can't see how that wouldn't be needed given that the artificial
> lens is not variable and the original natural lens was but those
> who claim that they no longer need any glasses are adament
> that they don't even for reading after the op...

Perhaps they have gained that at the expense of distance vision. People
are usually less aware of that being poor than of reading being difficult.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<op.1ldq0aw8byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50625&group=uk.d-i-y#50625

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:22:48 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:22 UTC

Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> My partner had her vision corrected. It was offered by the surgeon,
>>> but I had it done privately, rather than waiting months for the NHS,
>>> which could be a factor. The correction was, on his recommendation, to
>>> about one dioptre less than perfect eyesight. I forget the reason why.
>>> She still needed glasses for reading.

>> I wasnt talking about correcting vision, I was talking about whether
>> there is a need for reading glasses after the cataract operation.

> I misunderstood your post.

Yes.

> My partner certainly needed reading glasses after heroperation and a
> different strength pair to use the computer.

And a mate of mine wears them now after his were done.

>> Can't see how that wouldn't be needed given that the artificial
>> lens is not variable and the original natural lens was but those
>> who claim that they no longer need any glasses are adament
>> that they don't even for reading after the op...

> Perhaps they have gained that at the expense of distance vision. People
> are usually less aware of that being poor than of reading being
> difficult.

That doesn't explain the opthalmologist stupidly saying that
that individual didnt ask for no glasses needed new lenses.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<59e0c32e60dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50669&group=uk.d-i-y#50669

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:02:51 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:02 UTC

In article <qZidnRnNoufsg_b_nZ2dnUU7-WnNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:
> On 28/04/2022 18:55, Rod Speed wrote:
> > When researching, as I always do with something that
> > important, I was stunned to discover that some who have
> > their cataracts done no longer need glasses after that.
> > When one who did end up needing glasses asked their
> > ophthalmologist why they needed glasses when others
> > didn't the stupid ophthalmologist just said "you didn't
> > say that you wanted that"

> My partner had her vision corrected. It was offered by the surgeon, but
> I had it done privately, rather than waiting months for the NHS, which
> could be a factor. The correction was, on his recommendation, to about
> one dioptre less than perfect eyesight. I forget the reason why. She
> still needed glasses for reading.

Couple of years ago I went to the local Specsavers. As my previous
optician said they no longer had my records, so couldn't supply
replacement gas permeable lenses (at replacement cost) They wanted to make
me a new patient and pay for the full cost of new lenses. Bollox to that.

Specsavers did me gas permeable for a 1/5th of their price. Got some specs
too.

However, they too added about plus 1 diopter over my (older) infinity
prescription. Dunno if deliberately. Which was very noticeable to me when
driving. And totally pointless since not enough plus to use a monitor
comfortably.

They said if I wanted the prescription changed, I'd have to pay.

So ordered up gas permeable to the prescription I wanted from the US at a
price, including P&P etc for less than Specsavers charge.

> > My BiL has just had his done but I haven't asked about that with his yet.
> >
> > Nothing obvious with google or wiki, just a bit of a hint that
> > it is possible in the wiki.

> It is done by shaping the lenses fitted during the operation.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<59e0c39c3ddave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50670&group=uk.d-i-y#50670

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:07:32 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:07 UTC

In article <jd1gbcF5ssiU1@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm have one eye done in the next few weeks under the NHS and I've been
> told that I will still need glasses for reading. I actually still need
> glasses for my other eye for distance but a plain lens for distance for
> the eye that will be operated on.

I have a pal. Never seen him wear specs - even for reading. At over 70
obviously short sighted. Doesn't drive.

After his cataract operations (both eyes) complaining bitterly he had to
pay for reading specs. Asked him if he was now pleased having decent
distance vision, and said he hadn't noticed. He is a bit odd, though. ;-)

--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<59e0c41552dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50672&group=uk.d-i-y#50672

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:12:42 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:12 UTC

In article <08Cdnej-8pwxAfb_nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:
> Perhaps they have gained that at the expense of distance vision. People
> are usually less aware of that being poor than of reading being
> difficult.

I tend to spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen. Laptop on the kitchen
table - view over it through the large window across the gardens to the
back of the house in the next street.

And with the lenses as supplied by Specsavers, I could no longer make out
the brick courses on that house.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<op.1ld7au0abyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50691&group=uk.d-i-y#50691

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 01:14:44 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:14 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:07:32 +1000, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <jd1gbcF5ssiU1@mid.individual.net>,
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm have one eye done in the next few weeks under the NHS and I've been
>> told that I will still need glasses for reading. I actually still need
>> glasses for my other eye for distance but a plain lens for distance for
>> the eye that will be operated on.
>

> I have a pal. Never seen him wear specs - even for reading. At over 70
> obviously short sighted.

> Doesn't drive.

That bit is critical.

> After his cataract operations (both eyes) complaining bitterly he had to
> pay for reading specs. Asked him if he was now pleased having decent
> distance vision, and said he hadn't noticed.

Unsurprising given that it is mostly when driving most to
use their distance vision to read the name on a shop they
are looking for or the name of a street on the small street
name signs at intersections of normal residential streets
or house numbers.

> He is a bit odd, though. ;-)

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<cnf4kixbqs.ln2@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51071&group=uk.d-i-y#51071

From: news20k....@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 09:01:16 +0100
 by: #Paul - Mon, 2 May 2022 08:01 UTC

Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a pal. Never seen him wear specs - even for reading.
> At over 70 obviously short sighted. Doesn't drive.
>
> After his cataract operations (both eyes) complaining bitterly
> he had to pay for reading specs. Asked him if he was now pleased
> having decent distance vision, and said he hadn't noticed. He
> is a bit odd, though. ;-)

Why would he notice? For 70 years there was nothing he could
usefully see at a distance, and so he would have learned to
pay attention (only) to the nearby. That sort of long-ingrained
bias would be hard to shift, I'd have thought.

#Paul

Re: OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

<jd9r0uFo43rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51074&group=uk.d-i-y#51074

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 2 May 2022 10:44:46 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Mon, 2 May 2022 10:44 UTC

On 29 Apr 2022 at 15:07:32 BST, "Dave Plowman <News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk>
wrote:

> In article <jd1gbcF5ssiU1@mid.individual.net>,
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm have one eye done in the next few weeks under the NHS and I've been
>> told that I will still need glasses for reading. I actually still need
>> glasses for my other eye for distance but a plain lens for distance for
>> the eye that will be operated on.
>
> I have a pal. Never seen him wear specs - even for reading. At over 70
> obviously short sighted. Doesn't drive.
>
> After his cataract operations (both eyes) complaining bitterly he had to
> pay for reading specs. Asked him if he was now pleased having decent
> distance vision, and said he hadn't noticed. He is a bit odd, though. ;-)

Wasn't he asked, at the pre-op stage, whether he wanted to be fitted for near
or distant vision during the cataract op? I was and chose distant. This was an
NHS op, although performed at a private hospital.

--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy Microsoft because the IBM Selectric didn't suck much" - P Seebach, afc