From: tim...@nothanks.com (TimW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: building insurance query slightly OT
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:06:51 +0100
 by: TimW - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:06 UTC

A coach has damaged the front boundary garden wall (not the house wall)
of both self and a neighbour. I am hopeful of getting the number of the
coach company and plenty of people saw it.

From here on I don't know what the likely procedure will be. Will my
insurers pursue the claim along with my neighbours? Do I have to do it?
Do I have to get the wall fixed and then claim? Do insurance companies
negotiate and leave me out? How will this work between three insurers?

TW

Re: building insurance query slightly OT

<52138888-8038-474d-aa2e-2bf449bfabcbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50522&group=uk.d-i-y#50522

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: building insurance query slightly OT
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:35 UTC

On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 13:06:56 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
> A coach has damaged the front boundary garden wall (not the house wall)
> of both self and a neighbour. I am hopeful of getting the number of the
> coach company and plenty of people saw it.
>
> From here on I don't know what the likely procedure will be. Will my
> insurers pursue the claim along with my neighbours? Do I have to do it?

yes, no

> Do I have to get the wall fixed and then claim?

no, don't until it's assessed and agreed

> Do insurance companies
> negotiate and leave me out?

usually yes

> How will this work between three insurers?

not your problem

Re: building insurance query slightly OT

<t4el5h$aok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50561&group=uk.d-i-y#50561

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:07:45 +0100
 by: ARW - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:07 UTC

On 28/04/2022 13:06, TimW wrote:
> A coach has damaged the front boundary garden wall (not the house wall)
> of both self and a neighbour. I am hopeful of getting the number of the
> coach company and plenty of people saw it.
>
> From here on I don't know what the likely procedure will be. Will my
> insurers pursue the claim along with my neighbours? Do I have to do it?
> Do I have to get the wall fixed and then claim? Do insurance companies
> negotiate and leave me out? How will this work between three insurers?

Next door but one neighbours garden wall was flattened by a car last
year. No problem with details. The drivers insurance co sorted
everything out ASAP. The neighbours only request was that the old
sandstone wall was rebiuld with the original stones and not with bricks.

Hit and run? Report it to the police.

Re: building insurance query slightly OT

<t4f32f$7ns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50575&group=uk.d-i-y#50575

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:05:03 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:05 UTC

On 28/04/2022 13:06, TimW wrote:
> A coach has damaged the front boundary garden wall (not the house wall)
> of both self and a neighbour. I am hopeful of getting the number of the
> coach company and plenty of people saw it.
>
> From here on I don't know what the likely procedure will be. Will my
> insurers pursue the claim along with my neighbours? Do I have to do it?
> Do I have to get the wall fixed and then claim? Do insurance companies
> negotiate and leave me out? How will this work between three insurers?
>
> TW

I wouldn't involve my house insurers at all. I'm also not convinced my
house insurance covers garden walls, anyway.

Re: building insurance query slightly OT

<t4fs5e$osn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50600&group=uk.d-i-y#50600

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:13:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9J9tste8gVamM38gvQ5SgzYBE+A=
 by: Brian - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:13 UTC

TimW <timw@nothanks.com> wrote:
> A coach has damaged the front boundary garden wall (not the house wall)
> of both self and a neighbour. I am hopeful of getting the number of the
> coach company and plenty of people saw it.
>
> From here on I don't know what the likely procedure will be. Will my
> insurers pursue the claim along with my neighbours? Do I have to do it?
> Do I have to get the wall fixed and then claim? Do insurance companies
> negotiate and leave me out? How will this work between three insurers?
>
> TW

It depends.

You could hand it all to your insurance company - assuming your cover
includes the wall- and leave it to them.

There is risk they may decide it is more cost effective to pay up,
including you paying any excess, increasing your premium, etc, if chasing
the driver etc is ‘all too difficult’.

You could deal with it yourself - at least you have an interest in getting
every penny it costs.

About 10 years back - maybe more- a visitor to a neighbour across the road
didn’t put her handbrake on fully. Her car rolled down the neighbour’s
drive, crashed through the gates, crossed the road, and into our fence.

Fortunately the fence stopped it, otherwise it would have hit our (
previous) motorhome.

We were around at the time - my wife was in the dining room at the front of
the house and heard the noise.

I had the fence repaired by a local company and sent a copy of the bill to
her insurers. After a few phone calls, they sent me a cheque.

How the neighbour recovered the cost of his gates, I have no idea. I assume
he claimed off her insurers. They were repaired soon after.