Baruch's Observation: If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / B&Q self service checkout

SubjectAuthor
* B&Q self service checkoutPeter Johnson
+* Re: B&Q self service checkoutAndy Burns
|`* Re: B&Q self service checkoutalan_m
| `* Re: B&Q self service checkoutRod Speed
|  `* Re: B&Q self service checkoutalan_m
|   +- Re: B&Q self service checkoutRod Speed
|   `* Re: B&Q self service checkoutDave Plowman (News)
|    `* Re: B&Q self service checkoutalan_m
|     `* Re: B&Q self service checkoutDave Plowman (News)
|      `* Re: B&Q self service checkoutalan_m
|       `- Re: B&Q self service checkoutDave Plowman (News)
+* Re: B&Q self service checkoutalan_m
|`* Re: B&Q self service checkoutTim+
| +* Re: B&Q self service checkoutDave W
| |+- Re: B&Q self service checkoutJock
| |`- Re: B&Q self service checkoutDave Plowman (News)
| `- Re: B&Q self service checkoutalan_m
`- Re: B&Q self service checkoutMartin Brown

1
B&Q self service checkout

<io5o6h9gg5rt3ckrl323ta0g0bqrlah4ru@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50700&group=uk.d-i-y#50700

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: B&Q self service checkout
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:57:28 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:57 UTC

At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
replaced and now does contactless.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<jd2jtpFcgn7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50703&group=uk.d-i-y#50703

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: B&Q self service checkout
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:00:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:00 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:

> At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
> other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
> replaced and now does contactless.

Doesn't require balancing stuff on the weighing platform either, and the guard
on the door doesn't demand to see your receipt, it's almost as though they trust
people not to nick stuff ... I suspect we use the same branch.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<jd2n77Fd6m1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50710&group=uk.d-i-y#50710

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:56:56 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:56 UTC

On 29/04/2022 17:57, Peter Johnson wrote:
> At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
> other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
> replaced and now does contactless.

I used B & Q the other day for a bag of sand and used the normal staffed
till because it had the shorter queue. I did notice that the staff
member assigned to the 4 off self service tills seemed rather busy
having to help almost everyone using them :)

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<jd2nfkFd8agU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50712&group=uk.d-i-y#50712

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:01:25 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:01 UTC

On 29/04/2022 18:00, Andy Burns wrote:
> Peter Johnson wrote:
>
>> At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
>> other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
>> replaced and now does contactless.
>
> Doesn't require balancing stuff on the weighing platform either, and the
> guard on the door doesn't demand to see your receipt, it's almost as
> though they trust people not to nick stuff ... I suspect we use the same
> branch.

Yep the old system when scanning a bag of cement requiring you it put it
on the scales or plants where the weight would have changed depending on
what time of day they watered them :)

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<170018522.672948447.787754.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50713&group=uk.d-i-y#50713

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Apr 2022 18:08:44 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:08 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 17:57, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
>> other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
>> replaced and now does contactless.
>
> I used B & Q the other day for a bag of sand and used the normal staffed
> till because it had the shorter queue. I did notice that the staff
> member assigned to the 4 off self service tills seemed rather busy
> having to help almost everyone using them :)

Our B&Q has removed all their “self-service” checkouts. Always seemed to
need an awful lot of staff input.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<op.1lehceyebyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50722&group=uk.d-i-y#50722

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 04:51:40 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:51 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
> Andy Burns wrote
>> Peter Johnson wrote

>>> At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
>>> other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
>>> replaced and now does contactless.

>> Doesn't require balancing stuff on the weighing platform either, and
>> the guard on the door doesn't demand to see your receipt, it's almost
>> as though they trust people not to nick stuff ... I suspect we use the
>> same branch.

> Yep the old system when scanning a bag of cement requiring you it put it
> on the scales or plants where the weight would have changed depending on
> what time of day they watered them :)

Weird, none of our plant sellers sell any plants by weight they are
sold by the punnet or by plant with the trees etc.

None of the cement sellers sell it by weight either, its sold by the bag.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<evco6h9sabnarebn6l0mfd14et3rka64qo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50723&group=uk.d-i-y#50723

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:55:56 +0100
 by: Dave W - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:55 UTC

On 29 Apr 2022 18:08:44 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 29/04/2022 17:57, Peter Johnson wrote:
>>> At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
>>> other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
>>> replaced and now does contactless.
>>
>> I used B & Q the other day for a bag of sand and used the normal staffed
>> till because it had the shorter queue. I did notice that the staff
>> member assigned to the 4 off self service tills seemed rather busy
>> having to help almost everyone using them :)
>>

>Our B&Q has removed all their “self-service” checkouts. Always seemed to
>need an awful lot of staff input.
>
>Tim
I never use a self-scan checkout in any shop - if they expect me to do
the cashier's job I would expect some sort of discount. The only time
I tried I was confused with "unexpected item in the bagging area", but
I didn't know where the bagging area was.
--
Dave W

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<jd2r10Fdt6nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50724&group=uk.d-i-y#50724

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:01:52 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:01 UTC

On 29/04/2022 19:51, Rod Speed wrote:

> None of the cement sellers sell it by weight either, its sold by the bag.

12.5kg or 25kg bags so its sold by weight and comes in bags.

The old B&Q self service system seemed to be a bit quirky and random
about which items it wanted weighing for checking. From all accounts
they were still using a 30 year old point of sales software.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<jd2ru3Fe2cuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50726&group=uk.d-i-y#50726

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:17:23 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:17 UTC

On 29/04/2022 19:08, Tim+ wrote:
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 29/04/2022 17:57, Peter Johnson wrote:
>>> At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
>>> other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
>>> replaced and now does contactless.
>>
>> I used B & Q the other day for a bag of sand and used the normal staffed
>> till because it had the shorter queue. I did notice that the staff
>> member assigned to the 4 off self service tills seemed rather busy
>> having to help almost everyone using them :)
>>

> Our B&Q has removed all their “self-service” checkouts. Always seemed to
> need an awful lot of staff input.
>
> Tim

As per the original post, my local B&Q has introduced new terminals -
the old ones went missing a year or two ago, possible way before lockdown.

I've only had one experience of self service tills worse than those used
by b&q at a rural supermarket where there didn't seem to be anyone who
could use it without it coming up with an error. It had a conveyor belt
that took the goods through a covered tunnel after being scanned - two
items together anywhere in the tunnel and the whole system would crash
requiring a supervisor to use a physical key to unlock the touch screen
and scanner. When I last visited they had removed these physically
large tills and put in conventional staffed tills. Unfortunately I'm
used to the Lidl/Aldi fast type checkouts and in this rural location it
really is slow time with customers having a long natter with the
checkout staff :(

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<op.1lejue0xc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50731&group=uk.d-i-y#50731

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:45:40 +1000
 by: Jock - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:45 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 04:55:56 +1000, Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2022 18:08:44 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I used B & Q the other day for a bag of sand and used the normal
>>> staffed
>>> till because it had the shorter queue. I did notice that the staff
>>> member assigned to the 4 off self service tills seemed rather busy
>>> having to help almost everyone using them :)
>>>

>> Our B&Q has removed all their “self-service” checkouts. Always seemed to
>> need an awful lot of staff input.

> I never use a self-scan checkout in any shop - if they expect me to do
> the cashier's job I would expect some sort of discount.

Mad, what matters is which works quickest.

> The only time
> I tried I was confused with "unexpected item in the bagging area", but
> I didn't know where the bagging area was.

Even you should be able to ask the monkey and remember that for the next
time.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<op.1lejytzwbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50733&group=uk.d-i-y#50733

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:48:19 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:48 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> None of the cement sellers sell it by weight either, its sold by the
>> bag.

> 12.5kg or 25kg bags so its sold by weight and comes in bags.

But you don't have to WEIGH it, just scan the barcode.

> The old B&Q self service system seemed to be a bit quirky and random
> about which items it wanted weighing for checking. From all accounts
> they were still using a 30 year old point of sales software.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<59e137cf61dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50786&group=uk.d-i-y#50786

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:16:49 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:16 UTC

In article <evco6h9sabnarebn6l0mfd14et3rka64qo@4ax.com>,
Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2022 18:08:44 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

> >alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> I used B & Q the other day for a bag of sand and used the normal staffed
> >> till because it had the shorter queue. I did notice that the staff
> >> member assigned to the 4 off self service tills seemed rather busy
> >> having to help almost everyone using them :)
> >>

> >Our B&Q has removed all their “self-service” checkouts. Always seemed to
> >need an awful lot of staff input.
> >
> >Tim

> I never use a self-scan checkout in any shop - if they expect me to do
> the cashier's job I would expect some sort of discount. The only time
> I tried I was confused with "unexpected item in the bagging area", but
> I didn't know where the bagging area was.

Odd view to have in a self service store.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<59e1382d36dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50787&group=uk.d-i-y#50787

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:20:45 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:20 UTC

In article <jd2r10Fdt6nU1@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 19:51, Rod Speed wrote:

> > None of the cement sellers sell it by weight either, its sold by the bag.

> 12.5kg or 25kg bags so its sold by weight and comes in bags.

> The old B&Q self service system seemed to be a bit quirky and random
> about which items it wanted weighing for checking. From all accounts
> they were still using a 30 year old point of sales software.

Trying to remember when last I used B&Q. Got rather fed up of not being
able to find things - they never seemed to be in the slot they said they
were in, out of stock, or bits missing. And they've closed my local ones
anyway.

Much easier to do a click and collect with ToolStation or Screwfix. Both
of which have now closer branches than B&Q.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<jd77e9F8q4oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50907&group=uk.d-i-y#50907

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:58:17 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 1 May 2022 10:58 UTC

> Trying to remember when last I used B&Q. Got rather fed up of not being
> able to find things - they never seemed to be in the slot they said they
> were in, out of stock, or bits missing. And they've closed my local ones
> anyway.

There is also no tie up between the store stock levels listed on their
web site and what is actually in store.
I only use B&Q a store* for things like a single bag of sharp sand or
cement where it would be stupid driving any further to try and save a
few tens of pence. They also tend to do a good range of plants at
reasonable prices, and again a lot nearer to travel to than the local
out of town garden centres.

> Much easier to do a click and collect with ToolStation or Screwfix. Both
> of which have now closer branches than B&Q.

I do use both and they are closer than the B&Q store. They are a 15
seconds walk away from each other in my area and share the same car park.

* Earlier in the year I purchased a plastic wheelie bin/garden tool shed
online from B&Q mainly because they were the cheapest at 20% to 30%
lower than Amazon and other retailers.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<59e1bb191fdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50915&group=uk.d-i-y#50915

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 12:10:47 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:10 UTC

In article <jd77e9F8q4oU1@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30/04/2022 12:20, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > Trying to remember when last I used B&Q. Got rather fed up of not being
> > able to find things - they never seemed to be in the slot they said they
> > were in, out of stock, or bits missing. And they've closed my local ones
> > anyway.

> There is also no tie up between the store stock levels listed on their
> web site and what is actually in store.
> I only use B&Q a store* for things like a single bag of sharp sand or
> cement where it would be stupid driving any further to try and save a
> few tens of pence. They also tend to do a good range of plants at
> reasonable prices, and again a lot nearer to travel to than the local
> out of town garden centres.

Oddly, although several sheds have closed round here (now housing) a few
of the tradional builder's yards still exist. Although mainly Travis
Perkins. Only shed still close is a Wickes - with a ToolStation.

B&Q never looked after their plants here. Homebase were better - and now
Lidl are in that market. But garden centres (at higher prices) still
plentiful.

> > Much easier to do a click and collect with ToolStation or Screwfix. Both
> > of which have now closer branches than B&Q.
> >

> I do use both and they are closer than the B&Q store. They are a 15
> seconds walk away from each other in my area and share the same car park.

> * Earlier in the year I purchased a plastic wheelie bin/garden tool shed
> online from B&Q mainly because they were the cheapest at 20% to 30%
> lower than Amazon and other retailers.

I did like wandering around the big B&Q at Wandsworth bridge, though. With
a decent sized Homebase across the road. Online just isn't the same. But
much more efficient.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<jd7bqtF9k9lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50926&group=uk.d-i-y#50926

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 13:13:17 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 1 May 2022 12:13 UTC

> I did like wandering around the big B&Q at Wandsworth bridge, though. With
> a decent sized Homebase across the road. Online just isn't the same. But
> much more efficient.

My observation with Lidl is that they never water any of their plants so
in the hotter weather if you don't buy them soon after they are
delivered then don't bother.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<59e1c387f9dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50934&group=uk.d-i-y#50934

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 13:42:52 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 1 May 2022 12:42 UTC

In article <jd7bqtF9k9lU1@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 12:10, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > I did like wandering around the big B&Q at Wandsworth bridge, though.
> > With a decent sized Homebase across the road. Online just isn't the
> > same. But much more efficient.
> >

> My observation with Lidl is that they never water any of their plants so
> in the hotter weather if you don't buy them soon after they are
> delivered then don't bother.

Could be so. But Lidl tend to turn over such stuff quickly. B&Q would have
the same bedding plants outside for weeks on end. Homebase the same - but
did seem to water them regularly.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: B&Q self service checkout

<t4mkvi$1jim$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51014&group=uk.d-i-y#51014

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 19:53:37 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:53 UTC

On 29/04/2022 17:57, Peter Johnson wrote:
> At the local branch of B&Q for the first time in several months the
> other day, I saw that self-service checkout equipment had been
> replaced and now does contactless.

Where I live it has been dismantled and thrown away!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown