If imprinted foil seal under cap is broken or missing when purchased, do not use.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Oil Change?

SubjectAuthor
* Oil Change?R D S
+* Re: Oil Change?jon
|+* Re: Oil Change?newshound
||`* Re: Oil Change?Animal
|| +- Re: Oil Change?alan_m
|| `- Re: Oil Change?Andrew
|`* Re: Oil Change?jon
| +- Re: Oil Change?Fredxx
| `* Re: Oil Change?Clive Arthur
|  `* Re: Oil Change?Andrew
|   +- Re: Oil Change?Fredxx
|   `* Re: Oil Change?Steve Walker
|    `* Re: Oil Change?Andrew
|     `* Re: Oil Change?Steve Walker
|      `- Re: Oil Change?Jock
+- Re: Oil Change?newshound
+- Re: Oil Change?Brian
+* Re: Oil Change?Martin Brown
|`* Re: Oil Change?newshound
| +- Re: Oil Change?Rod Speed
| +- Re: Oil Change?Martin Brown
| +* Re: Oil Change?Andrew
| |`- Re: Oil Change?Jock
| `* Re: Oil Change?Steve Walker
|  `- Re: Oil Change?Fredxx
+* Re: Oil Change?Andy Burns
|`- Re: Oil Change?alan_m
+- Re: Oil Change?Jock
`* Re: Oil Change?nothanks
 `* Re: Oil Change?Andy Burns
  `* Re: Oil Change?nothanks
   `- Re: Oil Change?Andrew

Pages:12
Re: Oil Change?

<t4h5jp$pr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50702&group=uk.d-i-y#50702

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Oil Change?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:00:41 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:00 UTC

On 29/04/2022 14:24, Andrew wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 14:00, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> On 26/04/2022 16:23, jon wrote:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>>
>>> Is synthetic oil better for your car's engine than conventional oil?
>>> Yes. Although conventional oil provides adequate lubrication, it doesn't
>>> compete with synthetic oil's overall engine protection and performance.
>>
>> Plagiarism abounds...
>>
>> https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a32879214/synthetic-oil/
>>
>> https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/auto-care/all-about-oil/learn-about-motor-oil/synthetic-oil-vs-conventional-oil
>>

> Modern cars are designed to run much hotter than those made 30+ years
> ago. Such high temperatures cannot be withstood by mineral oil and
> hence the need for synthetic or semi-synthetic oils.
>
> If your car needs synthetic oil then you must use it. If your
> doesn't need synthetic oil don't waste money (twice as expensive)
> on it.

In the scheme of things the cost is small.

I used to skimp on cheap oils believing that it was best to change the
oil and filter but now convinced that wear in engines was accelerated.
Just my gut feeling. I now use Fully Synthetic oil without fail.

I also note that most service intervals are very much extended. One
vehicle it's 20,000 or 2 years. 5-30W Fully Synthetic low ash oil is
recommended.

Re: Oil Change?

<t4hj6h$8lq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50740&group=uk.d-i-y#50740

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:52:33 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:52 UTC

On 25/04/2022 21:25, newshound wrote:
> On 25/04/2022 16:53, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 25/04/2022 15:29, R D S wrote:
>>> My car was due a service last year but it had only done 4k miles
>>> since the one 12 months prior so I didn't bother.
>>> It's coming up to another 12 months and has done fewer than 1k
>>> further miles.
>>>
>>> I read that oil shouldn't be left in the car year after year,
>>> opinions on that if you will.
>>
>> If you leave it in for long enough then the oil filter casing will
>> rust away from the outside!
>
> Why? Pressed steel sumps never did, even though much of the paint flaked
> off in fifteen years or so. I have never seen significant corrosion on
> an oil filter.

Funnily enough, my wife's 17 year old Matiz has just failed its MOT
today - one of the failures being a corroded sump! It's the first time
I've ever come across it and, by pure chance, it happened to be at the
same time as this thread.

Re: Oil Change?

<t4hjss$fb1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50745&group=uk.d-i-y#50745

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:04:27 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:04 UTC

On 29/04/2022 14:24, Andrew wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 14:00, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> On 26/04/2022 16:23, jon wrote:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>>
>>> Is synthetic oil better for your car's engine than conventional oil?
>>> Yes. Although conventional oil provides adequate lubrication, it doesn't
>>> compete with synthetic oil's overall engine protection and performance.
>>
>> Plagiarism abounds...
>>
>> https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a32879214/synthetic-oil/
>>
>> https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/auto-care/all-about-oil/learn-about-motor-oil/synthetic-oil-vs-conventional-oil
>>

> Modern cars are designed to run much hotter than those made 30+ years
> ago. Such high temperatures cannot be withstood by mineral oil and
> hence the need for synthetic or semi-synthetic oils.

Yes. I was used to thermostats opening at 82 to 87 °C and testing them
in a pan of hot water. I wanted to test my current car's thermostat and
found that it doesn't even start to open until 105 °C, so I'd need to
use cooking oil or something similar, which is in short supply at the
moment!

> If your car needs synthetic oil then you must use it. If your
> doesn't need synthetic oil don't waste money (twice as expensive)
> on it.

And if your car needs semi-synthetic oil, which is often little cheaper
than fully-synthetic?

Re: Oil Change?

<t4jcf2$ae6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50802&group=uk.d-i-y#50802

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:09:54 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:09 UTC

On 29/04/2022 21:52, Steve Walker wrote:
> On 25/04/2022 21:25, newshound wrote:

>>> If you leave it in for long enough then the oil filter casing will
>>> rust away from the outside!
>>
>> Why? Pressed steel sumps never did, even though much of the paint
>> flaked off in fifteen years or so. I have never seen significant
>> corrosion on an oil filter.
>
> Funnily enough, my wife's 17 year old Matiz has just failed its MOT
> today - one of the failures being a corroded sump! It's the first time
> I've ever come across it and, by pure chance, it happened to be at the
> same time as this thread.

Never heard of that before, and after some googling it implies the sump
is in imminent failure.

Major oil leaks are now a fail. I have been advised to jet wash the
underneath. I took the under-tray off and gave everything a good clean.
And of the course the under-tray.

Re: Oil Change?

<t4m6bg$8nb$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50964&group=uk.d-i-y#50964

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 15:44:00 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sun, 1 May 2022 14:44 UTC

On 29/04/2022 22:04, Steve Walker wrote:

> And if your car needs semi-synthetic oil, which is often little cheaper
> than fully-synthetic?

RTFM. The manufacturer knows what your engine needs.#

Using the wrong oil is a bad as running a car and doing a high
mileage for 2 or 3 years without an oil change, as one of my
neighbours does.

Re: Oil Change?

<t4mn2u$ij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51021&group=uk.d-i-y#51021

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:29:35 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:29 UTC

On 01/05/2022 15:44, Andrew wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 22:04, Steve Walker wrote:
>
>> And if your car needs semi-synthetic oil, which is often little
>> cheaper than fully-synthetic?
>
> RTFM. The manufacturer knows what your engine needs.#
>
> Using the wrong oil is a bad as running a car and doing a high
> mileage for 2 or 3 years without an oil change, as one of my
> neighbours does.

The point is that, from what I have read before, for those designed for
plain mineral oil not only is synthetic a waste, but it can actually be
damaging, but for those requiring semi-synthetic, fully synthetic is
usually fine and may allow longer between changes.

Re: Oil Change?

<op.1lieglrac5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51032&group=uk.d-i-y#51032

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 07:39:47 +1000
 by: Jock - Sun, 1 May 2022 21:39 UTC

On Mon, 02 May 2022 05:29:35 +1000, Steve Walker
<steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:

> On 01/05/2022 15:44, Andrew wrote:
>> On 29/04/2022 22:04, Steve Walker wrote:
>>
>>> And if your car needs semi-synthetic oil, which is often little
>>> cheaper than fully-synthetic?
>> RTFM. The manufacturer knows what your engine needs.#
>> Using the wrong oil is a bad as running a car and doing a high
>> mileage for 2 or 3 years without an oil change, as one of my
>> neighbours does.

> The point is that, from what I have read before, for those designed for
> plain mineral oil not only is synthetic a waste, but it can actually be
> damaging,

How does it sometimes damage the engine ?

> but for those requiring semi-synthetic,

I am not convinced that any engine does.