Life is the living you do, Death is the living you don't do. -- Joseph Pintauro

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Building next to house wall

SubjectAuthor
* Building next to house wallleen...@yahoo.co.uk
+- Re: Building next to house wallAndrew
`* Re: Building next to house wallwilliamwright
 `* Re: Building next to house wallleen...@yahoo.co.uk
  `- Re: Building next to house wallGraham Harrison

1
Building next to house wall

<adb00814-c0b8-4217-8d79-c4eb91aeae36n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50909&group=uk.d-i-y#50909

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 04:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Building next to house wall
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:06 UTC

Hi All,

I am building my brick/ block built BBQ "against" my outside house wall. I am trying to decide whether to leave a slight gap between the back wall of the BBQ and the house or not. It will self supporting so doesn't need to be tied in to the wall for structural reasons and will be clad in cedar so doesn't matter from an aesthetics perspective. So.... I was wondering whether it makes a difference from a damp perspective? Is it best to leave a gap and therefore any damp that happens to go between will easily evaporate or whether I am better off trying to seal it along the top/ sides?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Lee.

Re: Building next to house wall

<t4m29n$nhv$3@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50948&group=uk.d-i-y#50948

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Building next to house wall
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 14:34:47 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sun, 1 May 2022 13:34 UTC

On 01/05/2022 12:06, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am building my brick/ block built BBQ "against" my outside house wall. I am trying to decide whether to leave a slight gap between the back wall of the BBQ and the house or not. It will self supporting so doesn't need to be tied in to the wall for structural reasons and will be clad in cedar so doesn't matter from an aesthetics perspective. So.... I was wondering whether it makes a difference from a damp perspective? Is it best to leave a gap and therefore any damp that happens to go between will easily evaporate or whether I am better off trying to seal it along the top/ sides?
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee.

Are you mad ?.

When my neighbour fires up his BBQ, which is 3 metres from my external
walls, I have to shut all the windows and even then the soffit vents
allow stinking BBQ smoke to get into my loft because the hot south-
facing walls create a natural updraft.

Re: Building next to house wall

<jd7ojeFbqkjU8@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50979&group=uk.d-i-y#50979

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 16:51:10 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 1 May 2022 15:51 UTC

On 01/05/2022 12:06, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am building my brick/ block built BBQ "against" my outside house wall. I am trying to decide whether to leave a slight gap between the back wall of the BBQ and the house or not. It will self supporting so doesn't need to be tied in to the wall for structural reasons and will be clad in cedar so doesn't matter from an aesthetics perspective. So.... I was wondering whether it makes a difference from a damp perspective? Is it best to leave a gap and therefore any damp that happens to go between will easily evaporate or whether I am better off trying to seal it along the top/ sides?
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee.

A neighbour did that and the black marks up the wall and stink in the
house put a stop to it.

Bill

Re: Building next to house wall

<217aa957-3d32-41e4-af60-3892051b9a85n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51011&group=uk.d-i-y#51011

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:49:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:49 UTC

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 16:51:14 UTC+1, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 12:06, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am building my brick/ block built BBQ "against" my outside house wall.. I am trying to decide whether to leave a slight gap between the back wall of the BBQ and the house or not. It will self supporting so doesn't need to be tied in to the wall for structural reasons and will be clad in cedar so doesn't matter from an aesthetics perspective. So.... I was wondering whether it makes a difference from a damp perspective? Is it best to leave a gap and therefore any damp that happens to go between will easily evaporate or whether I am better off trying to seal it along the top/ sides?
> >
> > Any thoughts appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Lee.
> A neighbour did that and the black marks up the wall and stink in the
> house put a stop to it.
>
> Bill

At the moment, the BBQ is about 5m from the house and the chimney has the smoke coming out about 3m above the ground. The idea is that if I put it next to the house wall I can run a chimney up above the roof so hopefully the neighbours will be smoke free.

re: the black marks, the chimney will be "stand alone" (i.e. own back, sides, chimney etc.) so any staining (although the current one doesn't suffer from this) will be in the BBQ and shouldn't impact the house or neighbours. From my experience, the black shooty type smoke/ staining is usually caused by cooking with the coals too hot and causing lots of flame ups etc.

Re: Building next to house wall

<hv9v6h5ugeku5ivvcqjkefrjubjbrorjlq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51062&group=uk.d-i-y#51062

From: edward.h...@btinternet.com (Graham Harrison)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 10:45:47 +0100
 by: Graham Harrison - Mon, 2 May 2022 09:45 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 11:49:39 -0700 (PDT), "leen...@yahoo.co.uk"
<leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 16:51:14 UTC+1, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>> On 01/05/2022 12:06, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I am building my brick/ block built BBQ "against" my outside house wall. I am trying to decide whether to leave a slight gap between the back wall of the BBQ and the house or not. It will self supporting so doesn't need to be tied in to the wall for structural reasons and will be clad in cedar so doesn't matter from an aesthetics perspective. So.... I was wondering whether it makes a difference from a damp perspective? Is it best to leave a gap and therefore any damp that happens to go between will easily evaporate or whether I am better off trying to seal it along the top/ sides?
>> >
>> > Any thoughts appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Lee.
>> A neighbour did that and the black marks up the wall and stink in the
>> house put a stop to it.
>>
>> Bill
>
>At the moment, the BBQ is about 5m from the house and the chimney has the smoke coming out about 3m above the ground. The idea is that if I put it next to the house wall I can run a chimney up above the roof so hopefully the neighbours will be smoke free.
>
>re: the black marks, the chimney will be "stand alone" (i.e. own back, sides, chimney etc.) so any staining (although the current one doesn't suffer from this) will be in the BBQ and shouldn't impact the house or neighbours. From my experience, the black shooty type smoke/ staining is usually caused by cooking with the coals too hot and causing lots of flame ups etc.

Here's a question...... If you build so that the BBQ touches the house
will you "bridge" the damp proof course?