24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Impact driver stuck bit

SubjectAuthor
* Impact driver stuck bitRJH
+* Re: Impact driver stuck bitTricky Dicky
|`* Re: Impact driver stuck bitRJH
| `- Re: Impact driver stuck bitRJH
+* Re: Impact driver stuck bitBrian
|`* Re: Impact driver stuck bitRJH
| `* Re: Impact driver stuck bitBrian
|  `* Re: Impact driver stuck bitRJH
|   `- Re: Impact driver stuck bitRJH
`* Re: Impact driver stuck bitwasbit
 `- Re: Impact driver stuck bitwasbit

1
Impact driver stuck bit

<t4o9v9$j7c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51063&group=uk.d-i-y#51063

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Impact driver stuck bit
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 09:58:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 2 May 2022 09:58 UTC

I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move the
collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.

It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<b03005b2-3974-4bc6-97e5-1c4c16e35c5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51067&group=uk.d-i-y#51067

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 03:10:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Impact driver stuck bit
From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
 by: Tricky Dicky - Mon, 2 May 2022 10:10 UTC

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 10:58:04 AM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
> I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move the
> collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
> useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.
>
> It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!
>
> --
> Cheers, Rob
I had that problem with a hex drive bit in a Lidl driver but at least I was able to move the collar. To remove the drive bit I gripped it in a vice and pulling the impact driver at the same time as retracting the collar and it came out relatively easy. If you do manage to extract the stuck bit a squirt of silicone in the tool holder and no more problems. If the collar will not move try a squirt first it should penetrate as the bits are not held tight in the holder.

Richard

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t4ofm7$322$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51079&group=uk.d-i-y#51079

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 11:35:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6yc4+61qhmkxpoxefW6Uiqq0kts=
 by: Brian - Mon, 2 May 2022 11:35 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move the
> collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
> useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.
>
> It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!

Is there a snap / split ring around the collar / chuck hole? If so, it is
probably a ball bearing system.

Carefully, remove the snap ring, there is usually a washer under it and a
large spring.

The outer of the collar should then slide off.

Be careful, there should be 2 ball bearings which will drop out. The bit
should then be free.
(The ball bearings fit into the groove in the bit.)

The ball bearings go back into the holes from the ‘outside’, a bit of
grease helps keep them in place (not too much), slide the collar back,
replace the washer and snap ring.

There are some which have one ball bearing. These usually have a spring
gizmo holding the ball in place which you need to push aside and replace
once the bit is free.

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t4qkad$rhj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51138&group=uk.d-i-y#51138

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 07:06:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 3 May 2022 07:06 UTC

On 2 May 2022 at 12:35:35 BST, "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>> I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move the
>> collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
>> useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.
>>
>> It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!
>

> Is there a snap / split ring around the collar / chuck hole? If so, it is
> probably a ball bearing system.

Thanks.

Alas no - the front assembly is part of the body - but it is at least screwed
on, so that'll have to be my next route of attack.

> Carefully, remove the snap ring, there is usually a washer under it and a
> large spring.
>
> The outer of the collar should then slide off.
>
> Be careful, there should be 2 ball bearings which will drop out. The bit
> should then be free.
> (The ball bearings fit into the groove in the bit.)
>
> The ball bearings go back into the holes from the ‘outside’, a bit of
> grease helps keep them in place (not too much), slide the collar back,
> replace the washer and snap ring.
>
> There are some which have one ball bearing. These usually have a spring
> gizmo holding the ball in place which you need to push aside and replace
> once the bit is free.

I might be able to access whatever it is holding the collet once it's in
pieces.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t4qkbk$rnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51139&group=uk.d-i-y#51139

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 07:07:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 3 May 2022 07:07 UTC

On 2 May 2022 at 11:10:23 BST, "Tricky Dicky" <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:

> On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 10:58:04 AM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
>> I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move the
>> collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
>> useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.
>>
>> It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Rob
> I had that problem with a hex drive bit in a Lidl driver but at least I was
> able to move the collar. To remove the drive bit I gripped it in a vice and
> pulling the impact driver at the same time as retracting the collar and it
> came out relatively easy. If you do manage to extract the stuck bit a squirt
> of silicone in the tool holder and no more problems. If the collar will not
> move try a squirt first it should penetrate as the bits are not held tight in
> the holder.

Thanks - worth a try, but still not shifting.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t4qoku$rj5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51147&group=uk.d-i-y#51147

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 08:20:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:96sUg7AglCPkxKXcVYOItZrn5X8=
 by: Brian - Tue, 3 May 2022 08:20 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 2 May 2022 at 12:35:35 BST, "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>
>> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move the
>>> collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
>>> useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.
>>>
>>> It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!
>>

>> Is there a snap / split ring around the collar / chuck hole? If so, it is
>> probably a ball bearing system.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> Alas no - the front assembly is part of the body - but it is at least screwed
> on, so that'll have to be my next route of attack.
>
>> Carefully, remove the snap ring, there is usually a washer under it and a
>> large spring.
>>
>> The outer of the collar should then slide off.
>>
>> Be careful, there should be 2 ball bearings which will drop out. The bit
>> should then be free.
>> (The ball bearings fit into the groove in the bit.)
>>
>> The ball bearings go back into the holes from the ‘outside’, a bit of
>> grease helps keep them in place (not too much), slide the collar back,
>> replace the washer and snap ring.
>>
>> There are some which have one ball bearing. These usually have a spring
>> gizmo holding the ball in place which you need to push aside and replace
>> once the bit is free.
>
> I might be able to access whatever it is holding the collet once it's in
> pieces.

If you can’t see a collar you retract by hand, I assume it is an automatic
type.

They are ( essentially) the same - they are the ones with one ball bearing.
I’ve only seen one of those. The process is much the same, there is the
extra spring to hold the ball bearing which needs to be moved.

Current issue aside, how do you find the Lidl driver? I’ve been considering
one of their wrenches. I’ve bought Aldi power tools before and been happy
with them - I use them for diy only.

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t4qpf0$20c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51149&group=uk.d-i-y#51149

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:34:39 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 3 May 2022 08:34 UTC

"RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote in message
> I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move
> the
> collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
> useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.
>
> It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!

There are also the slimmer magnetic type, e.g.
- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302225765002?

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t4qpme$3oc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51151&group=uk.d-i-y#51151

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:38:38 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 3 May 2022 08:38 UTC

"wasbit" <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote in message
>> I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move
>> the
>> collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
>> useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.
>>
>> It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!
>>

> There are also the slimmer magnetic type, e.g.
> - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302225765002?

Sorry - wrong thread.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t519e6$nlg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51578&group=uk.d-i-y#51578

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 19:44:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 5 May 2022 19:44 UTC

On 3 May 2022 at 09:20:46 BST, "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> Is there a snap / split ring around the collar / chuck hole? If so, it is
>>> probably a ball bearing system.
>>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Alas no - the front assembly is part of the body - but it is at least screwed
>> on, so that'll have to be my next route of attack.
>>
>>> Carefully, remove the snap ring, there is usually a washer under it and a
>>> large spring.
>>>
>>> The outer of the collar should then slide off.
>>>
>>> Be careful, there should be 2 ball bearings which will drop out. The bit
>>> should then be free.
>>> (The ball bearings fit into the groove in the bit.)
>>>
>>> The ball bearings go back into the holes from the ‘outside’, a bit of
>>> grease helps keep them in place (not too much), slide the collar back,
>>> replace the washer and snap ring.
>>>
>>> There are some which have one ball bearing. These usually have a spring
>>> gizmo holding the ball in place which you need to push aside and replace
>>> once the bit is free.
>>
>> I might be able to access whatever it is holding the collet once it's in
>> pieces.
>>

> If you can’t see a collar you retract by hand, I assume it is an automatic
> type.

Oh sorry yes, there is one of those. And it's jammed.

> They are ( essentially) the same - they are the ones with one ball bearing.
> I’ve only seen one of those. The process is much the same, there is the
> extra spring to hold the ball bearing which needs to be moved.

Thanks, I'l lreport back after the next attack.

> Current issue aside, how do you find the Lidl driver? I’ve been considering
> one of their wrenches. I’ve bought Aldi power tools before and been happy
> with them - I use them for diy only.

It was really good. I'm not sure how/why they work, but it certainly shifted
some screws last time I used it (stainless steel into steel that were somehow
stuck) that weren't coming out with a conventional driver. I did use it on
plasterboard when I had a lot to do but it was far too fierce. Not especially
versatile then but handy when some clout needed - IMHO.
--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t51aki$1cr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51579&group=uk.d-i-y#51579

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 20:04:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 5 May 2022 20:04 UTC

On 3 May 2022 at 08:07:32 BST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 2 May 2022 at 11:10:23 BST, "Tricky Dicky" <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 10:58:04 AM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
>>> I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move the
>>> collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty
>>> useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.
>>>
>>> It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!

Sorry, 12V

>>> --
>>> Cheers, Rob
>> I had that problem with a hex drive bit in a Lidl driver but at least I was
>> able to move the collar. To remove the drive bit I gripped it in a vice and
>> pulling the impact driver at the same time as retracting the collar and it
>> came out relatively easy. If you do manage to extract the stuck bit a squirt
>> of silicone in the tool holder and no more problems. If the collar will not
>> move try a squirt first it should penetrate as the bits are not held tight in
>> the holder.
>>

> Thanks - worth a try, but still not shifting.

Update! I've been away for a few days and tried it again just now. Put the bit
in a vice, pulled the drill and it came out relatively easily. Now, how to
avoid it happening again . . . occasional squirt of silcone maybe?

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Impact driver stuck bit

<t51am4$1nl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51580&group=uk.d-i-y#51580

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 20:05:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 5 May 2022 20:05 UTC

On 5 May 2022 at 20:44:06 BST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 3 May 2022 at 09:20:46 BST, "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>

>> Current issue aside, how do you find the Lidl driver? I’ve been considering
>> one of their wrenches. I’ve bought Aldi power tools before and been happy
>> with them - I use them for diy only.
>
> It was really good. I'm not sure how/why they work, but it certainly shifted
> some screws last time I used it (stainless steel into steel that were somehow
> stuck) that weren't coming out with a conventional driver. I did use it on
> plasterboard when I had a lot to do but it was far too fierce. Not especially
> versatile then but handy when some clout needed - IMHO.

To add - it's a 12V, not 18.
--
Cheers, Rob