It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Outside heating

SubjectAuthor
* Outside heatingleen...@yahoo.co.uk
+- Re: Outside heatingalan_m
+- Re: Outside heatingTim+
+- Re: Outside heatingJohn Rumm
+- Re: Outside heatingAndrew
`* Re: Outside heatingTricky Dicky
 +- Re: Outside heatingwilliamwright
 +* Re: Outside heatingalan_m
 |`* Re: Outside heatingJohn Rumm
 | `* Re: Outside heatingleen...@yahoo.co.uk
 |  `* Re: Outside heatingJohn Rumm
 |   `* Re: Outside heatingleen...@yahoo.co.uk
 |    +- Re: Outside heatingJohn Rumm
 |    `- Re: Outside heatingColin Bignell
 `* Re: Outside heatingleen...@yahoo.co.uk
  `- Re: Outside heating#Paul

1
Outside heating

<84e11ca1-69e6-48fe-9742-b334cdbda11an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50912&group=uk.d-i-y#50912

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 04:08:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Outside heating
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:08 UTC

Hi All,

I was wondering how folks heat a table and chairs area outside. I have a few fire oriented sources of heat but ideally of course everyone will be sat around it to benefit from the heat. Unfortunately, we have a table and chairs set so only way I can think of is to have several of them behind those sitting which seems a bit odd.

Any cunning ideas?

thanks

Lee.

Re: Outside heating

<jd78i9F8vkcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50917&group=uk.d-i-y#50917

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Outside heating
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:17:30 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:17 UTC

On 01/05/2022 12:08, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering how folks heat a table and chairs area outside. I have a few fire oriented sources of heat but ideally of course everyone will be sat around it to benefit from the heat. Unfortunately, we have a table and chairs set so only way I can think of is to have several of them behind those sitting which seems a bit odd.
>
> Any cunning ideas?

Wait for summer?

Re: Outside heating

<1717772291.673100428.273668.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50928&group=uk.d-i-y#50928

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 1 May 2022 12:23:46 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 1 May 2022 12:23 UTC

leen...@yahoo.co.uk <leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering how folks heat a table and chairs area outside. I have a
> few fire oriented sources of heat but ideally of course everyone will be
> sat around it to benefit from the heat. Unfortunately, we have a table
> and chairs set so only way I can think of is to have several of them
> behind those sitting which seems a bit odd.
>
> Any cunning ideas?
>
> thanks
>
> Lee.

IR radiant heaters would seem to be the least wasteful way to go or try
going oriental with a kotatsu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Outside heating

<t4m60t$h12$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50961&group=uk.d-i-y#50961

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 15:38:22 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 1 May 2022 14:38 UTC

On 01/05/2022 12:08, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering how folks heat a table and chairs area outside. I
> have a few fire oriented sources of heat but ideally of course
> everyone will be sat around it to benefit from the heat.
> Unfortunately, we have a table and chairs set so only way I can think
> of is to have several of them behind those sitting which seems a bit
> odd.
>
> Any cunning ideas?

IR radiant overhead is the usual way - either mounted under a brolly, or
on a wall. Could also be on a pergola etc.

One could fabricate a hanging wire mesh basket, and cinder tray, that
you could feed with charcoal etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Outside heating

<t4m6pi$179f$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50966&group=uk.d-i-y#50966

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 15:51:30 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sun, 1 May 2022 14:51 UTC

On 01/05/2022 12:08, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering how folks heat a table and chairs area outside. I have a few fire oriented sources of heat but ideally of course everyone will be sat around it to benefit from the heat. Unfortunately, we have a table and chairs set so only way I can think of is to have several of them behind those sitting which seems a bit odd.
>
> Any cunning ideas?
>
> thanks
>
> Lee.

Four well-insulated walls and an insulated roof ?

Re: Outside heating

<1e524d1f-6a42-475f-b613-018b608ab3c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50968&group=uk.d-i-y#50968

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 07:52:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
 by: Tricky Dicky - Sun, 1 May 2022 14:52 UTC

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 12:08:15 PM UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering how folks heat a table and chairs area outside. I have a few fire oriented sources of heat but ideally of course everyone will be sat around it to benefit from the heat. Unfortunately, we have a table and chairs set so only way I can think of is to have several of them behind those sitting which seems a bit odd.
>
> Any cunning ideas?
>
> thanks
>
> Lee.

There is no environmentally friendly way of heating outside but if you want something to sit around that at least will warm all those seated around it, then Google “fire pit” and you will get several examples from simple brazier like devices to low BBQs fuelled either with wood or charcoal.

Richard

Re: Outside heating

<jd7mtnFblgeU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50971&group=uk.d-i-y#50971

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 16:22:31 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 1 May 2022 15:22 UTC

On 01/05/2022 15:52, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 12:08:15 PM UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was wondering how folks heat a table and chairs area outside. I have a few fire oriented sources of heat but ideally of course everyone will be sat around it to benefit from the heat. Unfortunately, we have a table and chairs set so only way I can think of is to have several of them behind those sitting which seems a bit odd.
>>
>> Any cunning ideas?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Lee.
>
> There is no environmentally friendly way of heating outside

That's not what he asked. Why assume that he cares about 'the
environment'? We haven't all been brainwashed you know.

Bill

Re: Outside heating

<jd7uesFd578U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50996&group=uk.d-i-y#50996

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 18:31:08 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:31 UTC

On 01/05/2022 15:52, Tricky Dicky wrote:

> There is no environmentally friendly way of heating outside but if you want something to sit around that at least will warm all those seated around it, then Google “fire pit” and you will get several examples from simple brazier like devices to low BBQs fuelled either with wood or charcoal.
>
> Richard

As long as you are not sitting downwind of it. Even with clean wood you
may up stinking of smoke - often not evident until the next morning if
alcohol is involved.

Re: Outside heating

<t4mjh1$4nj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51003&group=uk.d-i-y#51003

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 19:28:50 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:28 UTC

On 01/05/2022 18:31, alan_m wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 15:52, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>

>> There is no environmentally friendly way of heating outside but if you
>> want something to sit around that at least will warm all those seated
>> around it, then Google “fire pit” and you will get several examples
>> from simple brazier like devices to low BBQs fuelled either with wood
>> or charcoal.
>>
>> Richard
>

> As long as you are not sitting downwind of it. Even with clean wood you
> may up stinking of smoke - often not evident until the next morning if
> alcohol is involved.

Perhaps build a wood fired pizza oven with a chimney high enough to keep
the smoke out of the way.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Outside heating

<da25f18c-7ef0-4f1b-9cbe-5628e6d333bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51005&group=uk.d-i-y#51005

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:34:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:34 UTC

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 15:53:00 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 12:08:15 PM UTC+1, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was wondering how folks heat a table and chairs area outside. I have a few fire oriented sources of heat but ideally of course everyone will be sat around it to benefit from the heat. Unfortunately, we have a table and chairs set so only way I can think of is to have several of them behind those sitting which seems a bit odd.
> >
> > Any cunning ideas?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Lee.
> There is no environmentally friendly way of heating outside but if you want something to sit around that at least will warm all those seated around it, then Google “fire pit” and you will get several examples from simple brazier like devices to low BBQs fuelled either with wood or charcoal.
>
> Richard

Trouble with the fire pit is that it presumes people are sat around it.

Re: Outside heating

<69982bf4-b489-485d-950e-1608c13388a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51007&group=uk.d-i-y#51007

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:37:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:37 UTC

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 19:28:53 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 18:31, alan_m wrote:
> > On 01/05/2022 15:52, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> >

> >> There is no environmentally friendly way of heating outside but if you
> >> want something to sit around that at least will warm all those seated
> >> around it, then Google “fire pit” and you will get several examples
> >> from simple brazier like devices to low BBQs fuelled either with wood
> >> or charcoal.
> >>
> >> Richard
> >

> > As long as you are not sitting downwind of it. Even with clean wood you
> > may up stinking of smoke - often not evident until the next morning if
> > alcohol is involved.
> Perhaps build a wood fired pizza oven with a chimney high enough to keep
> the smoke out of the way.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John.
>
> /=================================================================\
> | Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
> | John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
> \=================================================================/

funny you should say that. I bought one for exactly that reason so I could cook pizza and also use it as a heater (we have loads of logs from a tree we had to cut down a few years ago). Problem is where to put it. If everyone is sat around a table, I can only put it in one area so it heats only those in that bit of the table. I could have a few I guess (say one in each corner)..

Re: Outside heating

<t4mkn4$f5r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51010&group=uk.d-i-y#51010

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 19:49:09 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:49 UTC

On 01/05/2022 19:37, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 19:28:53 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

>>> As long as you are not sitting downwind of it. Even with clean
>>> wood you may up stinking of smoke - often not evident until the
>>> next morning if alcohol is involved.
>> Perhaps build a wood fired pizza oven with a chimney high enough to
>> keep the smoke out of the way. -- Cheers,

> funny you should say that. I bought one for exactly that reason so I
> could cook pizza and also use it as a heater (we have loads of logs
> from a tree we had to cut down a few years ago). Problem is where to
> put it. If everyone is sat around a table, I can only put it in one
> area so it heats only those in that bit of the table. I could have a
> few I guess (say one in each corner)..

I was toying with doing something, but figured you need a corner or at
least some screen walls for best effect to keep the wind and the chill off.

Perhaps a hypocaust with some underground ducting so you can waft hot
air up under the table?

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Outside heating

<89a55e5a-e74e-48e7-8b71-2646680ba1cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51017&group=uk.d-i-y#51017

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:03:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:03 UTC

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 19:49:12 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 19:37, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> >> Perhaps build a wood fired pizza oven with a chimney high enough to
> >> keep the smoke out of the way. -- Cheers,
> > funny you should say that. I bought one for exactly that reason so I
> > could cook pizza and also use it as a heater (we have loads of logs
> > from a tree we had to cut down a few years ago). Problem is where to
> > put it. If everyone is sat around a table, I can only put it in one
> > area so it heats only those in that bit of the table. I could have a
> > few I guess (say one in each corner)..
> I was toying with doing something, but figured you need a corner or at
> least some screen walls for best effect to keep the wind and the chill off.
>
> Perhaps a hypocaust with some underground ducting so you can waft hot
> air up under the table?
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John.
>
> /=================================================================\
> | Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
> | John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
> \=================================================================/

Now that is spooky. We currently have a concrete slab on the patio area which is about 150mm below what will be the finished level. I too thought something like a hypocaust would be a cool solution as I have the space to run the ducting (could even dig some more out of the concrete slab if needed) but thought this was too "wacky" and assumed nobody else has done this for a reason. Ages ago I saw some program on the TV about people living in mud huts. One of them had made some sort of hypocaust type solution where you fed sticks into one end and somehow the heat travelled along a "pipe" on the floor. I can't recall how it was made or how it worked but something like that would be perfect but can't see for the life of me how this would work without pumping smoke out of the vents in the floor at those sat at the table. I did wonder whether an electric fan heater blowing hot hair down into some "underground" trunking would work.

Did you get anywhere with your design?

Re: Outside heating

<t4ms8t$aqj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51025&group=uk.d-i-y#51025

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 21:58:05 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:58 UTC

On 01/05/2022 20:03, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 19:49:12 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

>>> funny you should say that. I bought one for exactly that reason
>>> so I could cook pizza and also use it as a heater (we have loads
>>> of logs from a tree we had to cut down a few years ago). Problem
>>> is where to put it. If everyone is sat around a table, I can only
>>> put it in one area so it heats only those in that bit of the
>>> table. I could have a few I guess (say one in each corner)..
>> I was toying with doing something, but figured you need a corner or
>> at least some screen walls for best effect to keep the wind and the
>> chill off.
>>
>> Perhaps a hypocaust with some underground ducting so you can waft
>> hot air up under the table? -- Cheers,

> Now that is spooky. We currently have a concrete slab on the patio
> area which is about 150mm below what will be the finished level. I
> too thought something like a hypocaust would be a cool solution as I
> have the space to run the ducting (could even dig some more out of
> the concrete slab if needed) but thought this was too "wacky" and
> assumed nobody else has done this for a reason. Ages ago I saw some
> program on the TV about people living in mud huts. One of them had
> made some sort of hypocaust type solution where you fed sticks into
> one end and somehow the heat travelled along a "pipe" on the floor.
> I can't recall how it was made or how it worked but something like
> that would be perfect but can't see for the life of me how this would
> work without pumping smoke out of the vents in the floor at those sat
> at the table. I did wonder whether an electric fan heater blowing
> hot hair down into some "underground" trunking would work.

I think the idea is that you keep the smoke and the heated air separate
- so fire under s slab, that has some brick columns supporting the final
floor slab. The under finished floor space is vented so it can draw in
cold air from the side, and the top vents let out the warmed air. The
fire is contained under the lower slab.

> Did you get anywhere with your design?

I did not even get as far as trying - more at the "would that work?"
musing stage.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Outside heating

<KcmdncoKv5Rxj_L_nZ2dnUU7-KfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51039&group=uk.d-i-y#51039

Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 00:08:25 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Sun, 1 May 2022 23:08 UTC

On 01/05/2022 20:03, leen...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 19:49:12 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
>> Perhaps a hypocaust with some underground ducting so you can waft hot
>> air up under the table?
>> --
>
> Now that is spooky. We currently have a concrete slab on the patio area which is about 150mm below what will be the finished level. I too thought something like a hypocaust would be a cool solution as I have the space to run the ducting (could even dig some more out of the concrete slab if needed) but thought this was too "wacky" and assumed nobody else has done this for a reason. Ages ago I saw some program on the TV about people living in mud huts. One of them had made some sort of hypocaust type solution where you fed sticks into one end and somehow the heat travelled along a "pipe" on the floor. I can't recall how it was made or how it worked but something like that would be perfect but can't see for the life of me how this would work without pumping smoke out of the vents in the floor at those sat at the table. ...

The Roman ones simply heated the floor, with ducts also running up the
walls. No direct venting of air into the room. They did require a slave
to keep the fire going though.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Outside heating

<09f4kixbqs.ln2@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51072&group=uk.d-i-y#51072

From: news20k....@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 08:53:36 +0100
 by: #Paul - Mon, 2 May 2022 07:53 UTC

leen...@yahoo.co.uk <leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Trouble with the fire pit is that it presumes people are sat around it.

If it's cold enough, they'll sit around it.

#Paul