From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: SOT: moving pst file
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 12:02:55 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 3 May 2022 11:02 UTC

I have now installed a second solid state drive (thanks to all who
offered advice). I would now like to move the Outlook (pst) files.

My reason is that the old SSD is nearly full and the new SSD is nearly
empty.

There seems to be contradictory advice on the Internet how to do this,
ranging from just moving the file and allowing Outlook to find it
again to making the move via the control panel (meaning making the
adjustments to the path there). It is claimed the first approach can
disrupt Outlook.

I have tried moving the file in the control panel (Mail) but nothing
seems to happen. The result seems to be that Outlook cannot then
synchronise subscribed folders.

Re: SOT: moving pst file

<t4tcpt$lrk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51306&group=uk.d-i-y#51306

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: SOT: moving pst file
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 04:17:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 4 May 2022 08:17 UTC

On 5/3/2022 7:02 AM, Scott wrote:
> I have now installed a second solid state drive (thanks to all who
> offered advice). I would now like to move the Outlook (pst) files.
>
> My reason is that the old SSD is nearly full and the new SSD is nearly
> empty.
>
> There seems to be contradictory advice on the Internet how to do this,
> ranging from just moving the file and allowing Outlook to find it
> again to making the move via the control panel (meaning making the
> adjustments to the path there). It is claimed the first approach can
> disrupt Outlook.
>
> I have tried moving the file in the control panel (Mail) but nothing
> seems to happen. The result seems to be that Outlook cannot then
> synchronise subscribed folders.

I'd make a backup before starting.

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/to-move-an-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/

The OS version may matter a tiny bit. (If a program
is old enough, it might stubbornly try to do some things
that don't fit as well on a newer OS.)

The Registry key method seems an alternative,
but this is why you have a backup, in case you
break something along the way.

Googling your combo of OS version and Outlook version,
may find an example that works on the first try.

Paul

Re: SOT: moving pst file

<cme47hlb567rppagravtgtto41q28blfea@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51314&group=uk.d-i-y#51314

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 09:38:04 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 May 2022 08:38 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 04:17:03 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 5/3/2022 7:02 AM, Scott wrote:
>> I have now installed a second solid state drive (thanks to all who
>> offered advice). I would now like to move the Outlook (pst) files.
>>
>> My reason is that the old SSD is nearly full and the new SSD is nearly
>> empty.
>>
>> There seems to be contradictory advice on the Internet how to do this,
>> ranging from just moving the file and allowing Outlook to find it
>> again to making the move via the control panel (meaning making the
>> adjustments to the path there). It is claimed the first approach can
>> disrupt Outlook.
>>
>> I have tried moving the file in the control panel (Mail) but nothing
>> seems to happen. The result seems to be that Outlook cannot then
>> synchronise subscribed folders.
>>

>I'd make a backup before starting.
>
>https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/to-move-an-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/
>
>The OS version may matter a tiny bit. (If a program
>is old enough, it might stubbornly try to do some things
>that don't fit as well on a newer OS.)
>
>The Registry key method seems an alternative,
>but this is why you have a backup, in case you
>break something along the way.
>
>Googling your combo of OS version and Outlook version,
>may find an example that works on the first try.

Thanks. I looked at Slapstick but I couldn't get it to work. I shall
try again. You are right that it seems to vary with the vintage of
Windows and Outlook. Just moving the file and leaving Outlook to rind
it again seems to be disapproved of.

What about reinstalling Outlook?

Re: SOT: moving pst file

<i0q47hth70va1c98ntiv5a4uto3pip4tit@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51353&group=uk.d-i-y#51353

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 12:51:26 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 May 2022 11:51 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 09:38:04 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]

>Thanks. I looked at Slapstick but I couldn't get it to work. I shall
>try again. You are right that it seems to vary with the vintage of
>Windows and Outlook. Just moving the file and leaving Outlook to rind
>it again seems to be disapproved of.
>
>What about reinstalling Outlook?

PS I think the problem may be that the article presupposes you are
moving the pst file on the same disc so once it is moved there is only
one file. To move it between discs, would you need to delete the
version on the first disc (the existing version) and is there risk
involved with this?

Re: SOT: moving pst file

<cu157hdbgmo0ngk5sdc4ou6vpa71gp5cce@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51362&group=uk.d-i-y#51362

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 15:07:34 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:07 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 09:38:04 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 May 2022 04:17:03 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 5/3/2022 7:02 AM, Scott wrote:
>>> I have now installed a second solid state drive (thanks to all who
>>> offered advice). I would now like to move the Outlook (pst) files.
>>>
>>> My reason is that the old SSD is nearly full and the new SSD is nearly
>>> empty.
>>>
>>> There seems to be contradictory advice on the Internet how to do this,
>>> ranging from just moving the file and allowing Outlook to find it
>>> again to making the move via the control panel (meaning making the
>>> adjustments to the path there). It is claimed the first approach can
>>> disrupt Outlook.
>>>
>>> I have tried moving the file in the control panel (Mail) but nothing
>>> seems to happen. The result seems to be that Outlook cannot then
>>> synchronise subscribed folders.
>>>

>>I'd make a backup before starting.

>Thanks. I looked at Slapstick but I couldn't get it to work. I shall
>try again. You are right that it seems to vary with the vintage of
>Windows and Outlook. Just moving the file and leaving Outlook to rind
>it again seems to be disapproved of.

I've used Slipstick several times. You need to make sure that there's
no part of Outlook still running, using Task Manager, check the Apps
and the Processes.

Re: SOT: moving pst file

<be657hhos4cd62crjerg0iv96739fpo97o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51386&group=uk.d-i-y#51386

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 16:21:27 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 May 2022 15:21 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 15:07:34 +0100, Peter Johnson
<peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 May 2022 09:38:04 +0100, Scott
><newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>>I'd make a backup before starting.
>>>
>>Thanks. I looked at Slapstick but I couldn't get it to work. I shall
>>try again. You are right that it seems to vary with the vintage of
>>Windows and Outlook. Just moving the file and leaving Outlook to rind
>>it again seems to be disapproved of.
>
>I've used Slipstick several times. You need to make sure that there's
>no part of Outlook still running, using Task Manager, check the Apps
>and the Processes.

Have you used it to move the file to a different drive or just to
change the location within the same drive?