T-shirt Of The Day: I'm the person your mother warned you about.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.

SubjectAuthor
* Supporting local traders, and regretting it.R D S
+* Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.Andrew
|`* Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.Robert
| `* Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.charles
|  `- Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.Colin Bignell
`- Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.Colin Bignell

1
Supporting local traders, and regretting it.

<t4tuu6$lba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51359&group=uk.d-i-y#51359

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (R D S)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 14:26:30 +0100
 by: R D S - Wed, 4 May 2022 13:26 UTC

On topic enough, I hope.
Having a local small business I like to patronise other ones so as such
I went into our local electrical factors today. They're fairly expensive
and I assume traders who spend more get a decent discount.

I bought some downlight bulbs to replace a bunch that have failed at
work, he asked if I wanted warm or cool, I phoned management but she
didn't answer so I asked for cool as I thought they'd be better for the
displays we use them in.

About to leave, phone rang, missus, she wants warm.
"Are they the same price?" I asked. Guy serving rolled his eyes to the
ceiling and let out a massive sigh, "is it a ballache changing them?",
we apparently weren't talking any more, he shoved 4 bulbs across the
counter and I left.
I don't care what his issue was, maybe his inventory software is a PIA
and he's already having a bad day but fuck em, i'll go to Screwfix in
future where I can pick online for click and collect, they'd have been
40% cheaper and they call me 'sir'.

I could write a book about the times I wish i'd just gone and given my
money to B&Q/Screwfix etc. or ordered online. It's no wonder the high
street is fucked, the big guys have heard of staff training.

Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.

<t4u47e$10dg$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51379&group=uk.d-i-y#51379

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:56:46 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:56 UTC

On 04/05/2022 14:26, R D S wrote:
> On topic enough, I hope.
> Having a local small business I like to patronise other ones so as such
> I went into our local electrical factors today. They're fairly expensive
> and I assume traders who spend more get a decent discount.
>
> I bought some downlight bulbs to replace a bunch that have failed at
> work, he asked if I wanted warm or cool, I phoned management but she
> didn't answer so I asked for cool as I thought they'd be better for the
> displays we use them in.
>
> About to leave, phone rang, missus, she wants warm.
> "Are they the same price?" I asked. Guy serving rolled his eyes to the
> ceiling and let out a massive sigh, "is it a ballache changing them?",
> we apparently weren't talking any more, he shoved 4 bulbs across the
> counter and I left.
> I don't care what his issue was, maybe his inventory software is a PIA
> and he's already having a bad day but fuck em, i'll go to Screwfix in
> future where I can pick online for click and collect, they'd have been
> 40% cheaper and they call me 'sir'.
>
> I could write a book about the times I wish i'd just gone and given my
> money to B&Q/Screwfix etc. or ordered online. It's no wonder the high
> street is fucked, the big guys have heard of staff training.

Four Candles ?

Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.

<1Z-dnR46gJpDB-__nZ2dnUU7-efNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51388&group=uk.d-i-y#51388

Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 16:25:15 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Wed, 4 May 2022 15:25 UTC

On 04/05/2022 14:26, R D S wrote:
> On topic enough, I hope.
> Having a local small business I like to patronise other ones so as such
> I went into our local electrical factors today. They're fairly expensive
> and I assume traders who spend more get a decent discount.

Have you tried asking for one? IME, if you are buying for a business,
that is all that it takes. Otherwise, they assume you are Joe Public and
you pay full list price. I generally got around 30% off list in my local
electrical wholesaler, 65% off cable and 15% off items they had to order in.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.

<jdfncmFs0ugU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51399&group=uk.d-i-y#51399

From: rob...@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 17:19:34 +0100
 by: Robert - Wed, 4 May 2022 16:19 UTC

On 04/05/2022 15:56, Andrew wrote:
> On 04/05/2022 14:26, R D S wrote:
>> On topic enough, I hope.
>> Having a local small business I like to patronise other ones so as
>> such I went into our local electrical factors today. They're fairly
>> expensive and I assume traders who spend more get a decent discount.
>>
>> I bought some downlight bulbs to replace a bunch that have failed at
>> work, he asked if I wanted warm or cool, I phoned management but she
>> didn't answer so I asked for cool as I thought they'd be better for
>> the displays we use them in.
>>
>> About to leave, phone rang, missus, she wants warm.
>> "Are they the same price?" I asked. Guy serving rolled his eyes to the
>> ceiling and let out a massive sigh, "is it a ballache changing them?",
>> we apparently weren't talking any more, he shoved 4 bulbs across the
>> counter and I left.
>> I don't care what his issue was, maybe his inventory software is a PIA
>> and he's already having a bad day but fuck em, i'll go to Screwfix in
>> future where I can pick online for click and collect, they'd have been
>> 40% cheaper and they call me 'sir'.
>>
>> I could write a book about the times I wish i'd just gone and given my
>> money to B&Q/Screwfix etc. or ordered online. It's no wonder the high
>> street is fucked, the big guys have heard of staff training.
>
> Four Candles ?
Screwfix are now opening stores in the High Street !

Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.

<59e364b9e1charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51401&group=uk.d-i-y#51401

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 17:39:47 +0100
 by: charles - Wed, 4 May 2022 16:39 UTC

In article <jdfncmFs0ugU1@mid.individual.net>,
Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 04/05/2022 15:56, Andrew wrote:
> > On 04/05/2022 14:26, R D S wrote:
> >> On topic enough, I hope.
> >> Having a local small business I like to patronise other ones so as
> >> such I went into our local electrical factors today. They're fairly
> >> expensive and I assume traders who spend more get a decent discount.
> >>
> >> I bought some downlight bulbs to replace a bunch that have failed at
> >> work, he asked if I wanted warm or cool, I phoned management but she
> >> didn't answer so I asked for cool as I thought they'd be better for
> >> the displays we use them in.
> >>
> >> About to leave, phone rang, missus, she wants warm.
> >> "Are they the same price?" I asked. Guy serving rolled his eyes to the
> >> ceiling and let out a massive sigh, "is it a ballache changing them?",
> >> we apparently weren't talking any more, he shoved 4 bulbs across the
> >> counter and I left.
> >> I don't care what his issue was, maybe his inventory software is a PIA
> >> and he's already having a bad day but fuck em, i'll go to Screwfix in
> >> future where I can pick online for click and collect, they'd have been
> >> 40% cheaper and they call me 'sir'.
> >>
> >> I could write a book about the times I wish i'd just gone and given my
> >> money to B&Q/Screwfix etc. or ordered online. It's no wonder the high
> >> street is fucked, the big guys have heard of staff training.
> >
> > Four Candles ?

I spotted one in Kensington High Street
> Screwfix are now opening stores in the High Street !

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Supporting local traders, and regretting it.

<j4Sdnb-ZQfq3Ju__nZ2dnUU7-cGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51406&group=uk.d-i-y#51406

Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 18:43:06 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Wed, 4 May 2022 17:43 UTC

On 04/05/2022 17:39, charles wrote:
> In article <jdfncmFs0ugU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Four Candles ?
>
> I spotted one in Kensington High Street
>> Screwfix are now opening stores in the High Street !

It is a long way to go to find an out of town retail park if you are in
Kensington.

--
Colin Bignell