Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 03:36:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Near Miss of the Day 699: Roundabout close pass from driver speeding
off slip road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 11:36 UTC

As cyclists we all know at least a few roundabouts that can be dangerous at the best of times, especially if someone decides to come flying past on the inside.

road.cc reader Lyndon was holding position on the right-hand lane as he was not leaving at the first two exits.

"I was turning right at the roundabout to head home after work when a driver coming off the slip road drove straight through," he recalled.

"I saw they were approaching with speed so I slowed down, and lucky I did. I had less than a metre from the vehicle as it barrelled through, not that it bothered the driver. They continued racing through the 20mph zone on their way to whatever business was worth killing me."

The clip has been uploaded to Thames Valley Police, but Lyndon does not hold high hopes of hearing a positive outcome since the registration plate cannot clearly be seen in the footage.

Anyway, he said: "In my experience TVPD wouldn’t do much as there was no injury, so no incident."

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-699-289605

Re: Near Miss of the Day 699: Roundabout close pass from driver speeding off slip road

<j4qiegFcrm8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5147&group=uk.rec.cycling#5147

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 699: Roundabout close pass from driver
speeding off slip road
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:36:16 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:36 UTC

On 19/01/2022 11:36 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> As fairy-cyclists we all know at least a few roundabouts that can be dangerous at the best of times, especially if someone decides to come flying past on the inside.

Overtaking on the nearside is *specifically* allowed on one-way
carriageways. Roundabouts have one-way carriageways.

> road.cc reader Lyndon was holding position on the right-hand lane as he was not leaving at the first two exits....

....and naturally enough, "Lyndon" expected his "holding position on the
right-hand lane" to mean that absolutely no-one was able to get past him
in any of the lanes.

Where do these people get such ideas from? What did he think the other
lane was for?

> "I was turning right at the roundabout to head home after work when a driver coming off the slip road drove straight through," he recalled.
>
> "I saw they were approaching with speed so I slowed down, and lucky I did. I had less than a metre from the vehicle as it barrelled through, not that it bothered the driver. They continued racing through the 20mph zone on their way to whatever business was worth killing me."
>
> The clip has been uploaded to Thames Valley Police, but Lyndon does not hold high hopes of hearing a positive outcome since the registration plate cannot clearly be seen in the footage.
>
> Anyway, he said: "In my experience TVPD wouldn’t do much as there was no injury, so no incident."

....by the sound of it, no collision... just a fairy-cyclist thinking it
was acceptable for him to hog the entire carriageway and expecting
everyone else to refrain from using the rest of the twenty-odd feet width.