IBM: It may be slow, but it's hard to use.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Paul Smart down

SubjectAuthor
* Paul Smart downwessie
+- Paul Smart downSqirrel99
`* Paul Smart downChamp
 +* Paul Smart downogden
 |`- Paul Smart downChamp
 +* Paul Smart downStephen Packer
 |+- Paul Smart downMark Roberts
 |+* Paul Smart downTurby
 ||`* Paul Smart downHog
 || `* Paul Smart downAce
 ||  `* Paul Smart downTurby
 ||   `* Paul Smart downChamp
 ||    `- Paul Smart downPete Fisher
 |`* Paul Smart downChamp
 | `* Paul Smart downAce
 |  +* Paul Smart downwessie
 |  |+- Paul Smart downAce
 |  |`- Paul Smart downChamp
 |  +- Paul Smart downSalad Dodger
 |  +- Paul Smart downStephen Packer
 |  +- Paul Smart downBoots
 |  +- Paul Smart downBen Blaney
 |  +- Paul Smart downTurby
 |  +* Paul Smart downpetrolcan
 |  |`- Paul Smart downMike Fleming
 |  `* Paul Smart downChamp
 |   `* Paul Smart downMark Olson
 |    `- Paul Smart downChamp
 +* Paul Smart downBen Blaney
 |`* Paul Smart downChamp
 | `- Paul Smart downStephen Packer
 `* Paul Smart downPete Fisher
  +* Paul Smart downEddie
  |`- Paul Smart downPete Fisher
  +* Paul Smart downsweller
  |+- Paul Smart downPete Fisher
  |`- Paul Smart downsiwilson
  `* Paul Smart downMark Roberts
   `* Paul Smart downsiwilson
    +* Paul Smart downsiwilson
    |`* Paul Smart downChamp
    | `* Paul Smart downsiwilson
    |  `* Paul Smart downPete Fisher
    |   `* Paul Smart downsiwilson
    |    `* Paul Smart downChamp
    |     `* Paul Smart downsiwilson
    |      +* Paul Smart downWUN
    |      |`* Paul Smart downsiwilson
    |      | `- Paul Smart downTurby
    |      `- Paul Smart downBen Blaney
    `* Paul Smart downMark Roberts
     `* Paul Smart downsweller
      `- Paul Smart downMark Roberts

Pages:123
Paul Smart down

<XnsADD1AAACA023wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5152&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5152

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Paul Smart down
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:02:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:02 UTC

www.facebook.com/britishsuperbike/photos/a.404991523096/10158463401158097

"We are saddened to share the following media statement on behalf of the
Smart family, and our thoughts are with Paul's family, friends and
colleagues.

"It is with huge sadness we have report that Paul lost his life in a road
traffic collision earlier this afternoon while riding his motorcycle in
East Sussex and Kent.

The police and coroner are investigating the circumstances surrounding the
accident.

Paul was a hugely popular character in and out of the paddock, and much
loved by his family, friends and fans around the world. He was 78.

He will forever be synonymous with Ducati, the Italian brand he propelled
to international acclaim with victory in the 1972 Imola 200 race. Paul also
shared a special affinity with the Brands Hatch circuit, having lived
literally next door in West Kingsdown for many years.

So much more can and will be written in the days and weeks ahead about a
life well lived that has been tragically curtailed.

Paul is survived by wife Maggie, son Scott and daughter Paula who kindly
request their privacy is respected at this difficult time"

Re: Paul Smart down

<sldk65$3jt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5154&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5154

From: secret.s...@gmail.com (Sqirrel99)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Paul Smart down
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:40:52 +0100
 by: Sqirrel99 - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 07:40 UTC

wessie wrote:
> www.facebook.com/britishsuperbike/photos/a.404991523096/10158463401158097
>
> "We are saddened to share the following media statement on behalf of the
> Smart family, and our thoughts are with Paul's family, friends and
> colleagues.

Wes Cooley too, a few days ago.

Re: Paul Smart down

<i4pkngtq6j3bmeheevg8u6s36ah5dv0tm3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5155&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5155

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:53:23 +0100
 by: Champ - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:53 UTC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:02:55 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>www.facebook.com/britishsuperbike/photos/a.404991523096/10158463401158097

>"It is with huge sadness we have report that Paul lost his life in a road
>traffic collision earlier this afternoon while riding his motorcycle in
>East Sussex and Kent.

That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads). At least he was at a
good age - hope I'm still riding at 78
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Paul Smart down

<b0eeba55-f9df-4615-9825-e2aec0264abdn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5156&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5156

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 02:51:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:51 UTC

Champ wrote:
> wessie wrote:
> >"It is with huge sadness we have report that Paul lost his life in a road
> >traffic collision earlier this afternoon while riding his motorcycle in
> >East Sussex and Kent.
>
> That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
> a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads).

I wonder if he was out for fish and chips.

Re: Paul Smart down

<fe6bac0e-0112-42bb-8734-30941d6cb40cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5157&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5157

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 03:40:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:40 UTC

On Thursday, 28 October 2021 at 09:53:26 UTC+1, Champ wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:02:55 -0000 (UTC), wessie
> <willn...@tesco.net> wrote:
>
> >www.facebook.com/britishsuperbike/photos/a.404991523096/10158463401158097
> >"It is with huge sadness we have report that Paul lost his life in a road
> >traffic collision earlier this afternoon while riding his motorcycle in
> >East Sussex and Kent.
> That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
> a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads). At least he was at a
> good age - hope I'm still riding at 78

I don't know how to feel about it.

I hope it was swift and if so, surely it's a life to be celebrated rather than
a death to be mourned?

We've all got to die and frankly I really don't care about the fact my life is finite,
but I really could do without the indignity of dementia or the stress of knowing
my life's coming to a close and all I have ahead is suffering until it's lights out.

Being suddenly killed, at a decent age, doing something you love has a lot of
attractions.

Even though it's only 20 years away I'd settle for a death like Paul Smart's.

Re: Paul Smart down

<juflngd8dabspu338d6l5n0akiogj704uh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5161&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5161

From: mar...@markr.myzen.co.uk (Mark Roberts)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:25:04 +0100
 by: Mark Roberts - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:25 UTC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 03:40:58 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>Being suddenly killed, at a decent age, doing something you love has a lot of
>attractions.
>
>Even though it's only 20 years away I'd settle for a death like Paul Smart's.

Yep.

I recently had to watch my father die and the last coherent word I
heard was 'Help' as he fought for his breath (Don't smoke fags kids).
The last ten years of his life was just (daily increasing) hospital
appointments and hours on the oxygen machine.

--
Mark Roberts

Re: Paul Smart down

<slegci$j5t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5162&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5162

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:42:10 -0700
 by: Turby - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:42 UTC

On 10/28/2021 3:40 AM, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 October 2021 at 09:53:26 UTC+1, Champ wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:02:55 -0000 (UTC), wessie
>> <willn...@tesco.net> wrote:
>>
>>> www.facebook.com/britishsuperbike/photos/a.404991523096/10158463401158097
>>> "It is with huge sadness we have report that Paul lost his life in a road
>>> traffic collision earlier this afternoon while riding his motorcycle in
>>> East Sussex and Kent.
>> That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
>> a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads). At least he was at a
>> good age - hope I'm still riding at 78
>
> I don't know how to feel about it.
>
> I hope it was swift and if so, surely it's a life to be celebrated rather than
> a death to be mourned?
>
> We've all got to die and frankly I really don't care about the fact my life is finite,
> but I really could do without the indignity of dementia or the stress of knowing
> my life's coming to a close and all I have ahead is suffering until it's lights out.
>
> Being suddenly killed, at a decent age, doing something you love has a lot of
> attractions.
>
> Even though it's only 20 years away I'd settle for a death like Paul Smart's.

There's a curve on Hiway 1 in California with no guard rail above a
cliff several hundred feet high over the ocean. I fantasized about
taking a right instead of a left there many times. But knowing quite a
few emergency techs who have all had to deal with corpses and the trauma
that entails, I don't want to put that on anyone. Plus, I'd like to
ensure my affairs are in order. (Hah. Fat chance of that.)

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Paul Smart down

<f6f2b9d2-257d-49b2-99d4-997662a5c70fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5163&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5163

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:42 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 4:53:26 AM UTC-4, Champ wrote:

> That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
> a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads). At least he was at a
> good age - hope I'm still riding at 78

Well, how about you let us know in three years time.

Re: Paul Smart down

<iu1ja9Fps7vU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5166&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5166

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 07:40:11 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 06:40 UTC

On 28/10/2021 09:53, Champ wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 00:02:55 -0000 (UTC), wessie
> <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>> www.facebook.com/britishsuperbike/photos/a.404991523096/10158463401158097
>
>> "It is with huge sadness we have report that Paul lost his life in a road
>> traffic collision earlier this afternoon while riding his motorcycle in
>> East Sussex and Kent.
>
> That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
> a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads). At least he was at a
> good age - hope I'm still riding at 78

+1

That's probably an expectation for you, but an aspiration for me.
Rapidly looming on the horizon lately, in my case.

Still, I've achieved the goal of owning and riding (albeit not far) a
bike older than I am.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: Paul Smart down

<iu1lnvFq9u8U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5167&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5167

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 08:21:35 +0100
 by: Eddie - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 07:21 UTC

On 29/10/2021 07:40, Pete Fisher wrote:

> Still, I've achieved the goal of owning and riding (albeit not far) a
> bike older than I am.

One previous owner, Mr F Flintstone?

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Paul Smart down

<iu1o7mFqq91U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5168&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5168

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 29 Oct 2021 08:04:06 GMT
 by: sweller - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 08:04 UTC

Pete Fisher wrote:

> Still, I've achieved the goal of owning and riding (albeit not far) a
> bike older than I am.

You will be unsurprised to hear I've managed that quite regularly.

--
Simon

Re: Paul Smart down

<iu1ob6FqqacU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5169&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5169

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:05:59 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 08:05 UTC

On 29/10/2021 08:21, Eddie wrote:
> On 29/10/2021 07:40, Pete Fisher wrote:
>>
>> Still, I've achieved the goal of owning and riding (albeit not far) a
>> bike older than I am.
>
> One previous owner, Mr F Flintstone?

Ho ho. Only a mere decade older.

Then, "John Marston was seventy-six years old when he ventured into the
field of motorcycles with his 'Gentleman's motor bicycle'".

I'm conscious that my reactions aren't what they used to be, so
something with a realistic top whack of 40 mph prevents the scenery
winding in too quickly. Problem is, that tobacco tin brakes mean you
have to anticipate more accurately what retardation distance such heady
speed requires.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
1937 Sunbeam 250 Sports
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Paul Smart down

<iu1oqgFqtnfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5170&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5170

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:14:09 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 08:14 UTC

On 29/10/2021 09:04, sweller wrote:
> Pete Fisher wrote:
>
>> Still, I've achieved the goal of owning and riding (albeit not far) a
>> bike older than I am.
>
> You will be unsurprised to hear I've managed that quite regularly.

I got close in my 'yoof' (I don't count the 1929 Raleigh 350 as I never
ventured on to a public road with it). A 1957 AJS when I was 23.

When I was 17 the Sunbeam would have been less than 30 years old. These
days a 30 year old bike has much more in common with a 'new' bike than
it did back then.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
1937 Sunbeam 250 Sports
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Paul Smart down

<bvjnngdb20m6r87d7ncqn9se9atekqejde@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5173&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5173

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:41:57 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 10:41 UTC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 02:51:59 -0700 (PDT), ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Champ wrote:
>> wessie wrote:
>> >"It is with huge sadness we have report that Paul lost his life in a road
>> >traffic collision earlier this afternoon while riding his motorcycle in
>> >East Sussex and Kent.

>> That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
>> a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads).

>I wonder if he was out for fish and chips.

Well, quite
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Paul Smart down

<d1knnglmhqq9idfvk98m8qcdqae59gk4td@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5174&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5174

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:43:16 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 10:43 UTC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 03:40:58 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>We've all got to die and frankly I really don't care about the fact my life is finite,
>but I really could do without the indignity of dementia or the stress of knowing
>my life's coming to a close and all I have ahead is suffering until it's lights out.
>
>Being suddenly killed, at a decent age, doing something you love has a lot of
>attractions.
>
>Even though it's only 20 years away I'd settle for a death like Paul Smart's.

I can't disagree with any of that
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Paul Smart down

<43knngh1i7aiefrmpad74cg5p0r67p6j1p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5175&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5175

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:44:21 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 10:44 UTC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:42:12 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaney
<benblaney@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 4:53:26 AM UTC-4, Champ wrote:
>
>> That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
>> a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads). At least he was at a
>> good age - hope I'm still riding at 78

>Well, how about you let us know in three years time.

<clutches sides>

oops, I've laughed hard enough to crack a rib

<flicks Vs>
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Paul Smart down

<jilnngpakuaa8jh20osh3af7nbspsqm7hf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5176&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5176

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:14:18 +0200
 by: Ace - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:14 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:43:16 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 03:40:58 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
><stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>We've all got to die and frankly I really don't care about the fact my life is finite,
>>but I really could do without the indignity of dementia or the stress of knowing
>>my life's coming to a close and all I have ahead is suffering until it's lights out.
>>
>>Being suddenly killed, at a decent age, doing something you love has a lot of
>>attractions.
>>
>>Even though it's only 20 years away I'd settle for a death like Paul Smart's.
>
>I can't disagree with any of that

It sounds rather sad though, almost fatalistic. "We're all gonna die
sometime, so why worry?" Similar sentiments were aired by several here
on a long thread a few weeks ago, and I couldn't help feeling rather
disturbed that so many people seem to accept their death as inevitable
or even plan to off themselves early if they see it coming.

I'm planning to hold on with every last ounce of strength and
determination, come what may.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Paul Smart down

<XnsADD28003568B4wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5179&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5179

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:35:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:35 UTC

Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:43:16 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 03:40:58 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
>><stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>We've all got to die and frankly I really don't care about the fact
>>>my life is finite, but I really could do without the indignity of
>>>dementia or the stress of knowing my life's coming to a close and all
>>>I have ahead is suffering until it's lights out.
>>>
>>>Being suddenly killed, at a decent age, doing something you love has
>>>a lot of attractions.
>>>
>>>Even though it's only 20 years away I'd settle for a death like Paul
>>>Smart's.
>>
>>I can't disagree with any of that
>
> It sounds rather sad though, almost fatalistic. "We're all gonna die
> sometime, so why worry?" Similar sentiments were aired by several here
> on a long thread a few weeks ago, and I couldn't help feeling rather
> disturbed that so many people seem to accept their death as inevitable
> or even plan to off themselves early if they see it coming.

one person's fatalism is another's realism. For me, I have to add in
some determinism as I am sure being a fat alcoholic may have some
bearing on longevity

> I'm planning to hold on with every last ounce of strength and
> determination, come what may.

You have already achieved cantankerous old bastard. One can live many a
happy year at this level. Do you really want to achieve demented and
decrepit old fart?

Re: Paul Smart down

<1snnnglequq88ir59g70v1a2l7u1555r48@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5180&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5180

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:58:48 +0200
 by: Ace - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:58 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:35:03 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in

>> I'm planning to hold on with every last ounce of strength and
>> determination, come what may.
>>

>You have already achieved cantankerous old bastard. One can live many a
>happy year at this level. Do you really want to achieve demented and
>decrepit old fart?

Eventually, but I intend to remain at lower levels than that for as
long as possible. To which end I've become much more health-conscious
in recent years, my alcohol intake is probably only around 50 units
per week, smoking at three or four a day on average, red meat only two
or three times a week ;-)

<Checks blood pressure> - 130/88, quite repectable, BMI around 25,
although it gets higher with the years as I slowly get shorter; I'm
only around 184cm these days, although it varies with how tense the
back muscles are at any given time.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Paul Smart down

<j9rnnghq3ncuolc8hsjlni7t84mrn9acdv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5181&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5181

From: salad.do...@idnet.com (Salad Dodger)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:47:17 +0100
 by: Salad Dodger - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:47 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:14:18 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:

>so many people seem to accept their death as inevitable

To hold an alternative view will only bring disappointment.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK;GL1800D

Re: Paul Smart down

<5beaaf28-6cb0-4509-90bd-9af0521aa9adn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5182&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5182

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 05:55:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:55 UTC

On Friday, 29 October 2021 at 11:44:25 UTC+1, Champ wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:42:12 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaney
> <benb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 4:53:26 AM UTC-4, Champ wrote:
> >
> >> That is very sad, and somewhat ironic (that a man noted for racing, in
> >> a dangerous era, is killed on the public roads). At least he was at a
> >> good age - hope I'm still riding at 78
>
> >Well, how about you let us know in three years time.
> <clutches sides>
>
> oops, I've laughed hard enough to crack a rib

Haven't they put you on calcium supplements yet to stop that happening?

Re: Paul Smart down

<e0b7981e-b770-4e35-9db6-842fb5ab0825n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5183&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5183

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 05:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:59 UTC

On Friday, 29 October 2021 at 12:14:21 UTC+1, Ace wrote:
> It sounds rather sad though, almost fatalistic. "We're all gonna die
> sometime, so why worry?" Similar sentiments were aired by several here
> on a long thread a few weeks ago, and I couldn't help feeling rather
> disturbed that so many people seem to accept their death as inevitable
> or even plan to off themselves early if they see it coming.

I think it is fatalistic and accepting.

I've watched my parents slowly become decrepit and I've watched both of
my inlaws disappear into dementia and then death.
> I'm planning to hold on with every last ounce of strength and
> determination, come what may.

It all comes down to when is the quality of life too poor to make life worth living
and I guess that the standard in my late 70s will be a lot lower than I'd imagine
now and there's every chance that I'll do exactly what you suggest.

Re: Paul Smart down

<iu2e5sFdruU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5184&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5184

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:18:36 +0100
 by: siwilson - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:18 UTC

On 29/10/2021 09:04, sweller wrote:
> Pete Fisher wrote:
>
>> Still, I've achieved the goal of owning and riding (albeit not far) a
>> bike older than I am.
>
> You will be unsurprised to hear I've managed that quite regularly.

<waves> my first real bike was (and still is) older than me.

--
/Simon

Re: Paul Smart down

<753ong50u5ir2s1h7m99579ahqinf8uakn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5185&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5185

From: mar...@markr.myzen.co.uk (Mark Roberts)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:01:25 +0100
 by: Mark Roberts - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:01 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 07:40:11 +0100, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Still, I've achieved the goal of owning and riding (albeit not far) a
>bike older than I am.

Hmmmm. I think I need to have a go at this one :)
--
Mark Roberts

Re: Paul Smart down

<iu2rlgF30i2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5186&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5186

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:08:45 +0100
 by: siwilson - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:08 UTC

On 29/10/2021 16:01, Mark Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 07:40:11 +0100, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Still, I've achieved the goal of owning and riding (albeit not far) a
>> bike older than I am.
>
> Hmmmm. I think I need to have a go at this one :)

I have to admit that the oldest bike I've ever owned (1935 Velocette Mac
350) is up there with one of the most fun bikes I've owned. Stupidly I
sold it earlier this year. Which is why I'm currently building another
two...

--
/Simon