Are you sure the back door is locked?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Gas Pipe general query

SubjectAuthor
* Gas Pipe general queryChris B
+* Re: Gas Pipe general queryChris Hogg
|`* Re: Gas Pipe general queryJohn Rumm
| +- Re: Gas Pipe general queryJeff Layman
| `- Re: Gas Pipe general queryHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: Gas Pipe general queryDave Plowman (News)
|`* Re: Gas Pipe general queryChris B
| +* Re: Gas Pipe general queryHarry Bloomfield Esq
| |`* Re: Gas Pipe general queryJohn Rumm
| | +- Re: Gas Pipe general queryHarry Bloomfield Esq
| | `* Re: Gas Pipe general queryAndrew
| |  +- Re: Gas Pipe general queryChris B
| |  `* Re: Gas Pipe general queryChris B
| |   +- Re: Gas Pipe general queryThe Natural Philosopher
| |   `* Re: Gas Pipe general queryDave Plowman (News)
| |    `- Re: Gas Pipe general queryFredxx
| +* Re: Gas Pipe general queryDave Plowman (News)
| |`* Re: Gas Pipe general queryFredxx
| | `* Re: Gas Pipe general queryDave Plowman (News)
| |  `- Re: Gas Pipe general queryAndrew
| `* Re: Gas Pipe general queryAndrew
|  +- Re: Gas Pipe general queryFredxx
|  `- Re: Gas Pipe general queryJohn Rumm
`* Re: Gas Pipe general queryHarry Bloomfield Esq
 `- Re: Gas Pipe general queryAndrew

1
Gas Pipe general query

<t4rkev$v16$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51216&group=uk.d-i-y#51216

From: new...@salis.co.uk (Chris B)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Gas Pipe general query
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 17:15:27 +0100
 by: Chris B - Tue, 3 May 2022 16:15 UTC

Had a gas man round today for an annual service of the gas boiler. When
he arrived and at no extra charge he commented that:-

"I notice where your gas pipe goes into the house the coupling is badly
rusted. The ends of those couplers are quite thin and if it rusts right
through the repair will be very expensive (in the thousands of pound).
If I were you I would buy a little tin of Hammerite and paint the rusty
bit of iron making sure that you try and run some paint as far as you
can inside the white sleeving without filling the gap. A small expense
on a tin of Hammerite might save you a lot of money".

Well as I already had a tin of Hammerite in the garage the only expense
was 10 minutes of my time, so it was a no brainer.

My question is why might repair of this innocent looking component run
into thousands?

A link to the installation (post application of hammerite is below)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZMM5pVZDi3XX2M5RjbUK83EseKtI4Bx1KB7

--
Chris B (News)

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<36n27hd38bjah570tgl4if7ctu4h5ihbd8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51225&group=uk.d-i-y#51225

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Gas Pipe general query
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 17:52:37 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 3 May 2022 16:52 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 17:15:27 +0100, Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:

>Had a gas man round today for an annual service of the gas boiler. When
>he arrived and at no extra charge he commented that:-
>
>"I notice where your gas pipe goes into the house the coupling is badly
>rusted. The ends of those couplers are quite thin and if it rusts right
>through the repair will be very expensive (in the thousands of pound).
>If I were you I would buy a little tin of Hammerite and paint the rusty
>bit of iron making sure that you try and run some paint as far as you
>can inside the white sleeving without filling the gap. A small expense
>on a tin of Hammerite might save you a lot of money".
>
>Well as I already had a tin of Hammerite in the garage the only expense
>was 10 minutes of my time, so it was a no brainer.
>
>My question is why might repair of this innocent looking component run
>into thousands?
>
>A link to the installation (post application of hammerite is below)
>

>https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZMM5pVZDi3XX2M5RjbUK83EseKtI4Bx1KB7

When I had my gas meter moved from inside the garage to outside so
that it could be read without having to involve me, I had to have the
whole length of ?black iron pipe replaced in 'plastic' right back to
the main in the road, because it was 'policy'.

Perhaps that would happen in your case.

--
Chris

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4roeb$4ll$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51230&group=uk.d-i-y#51230

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:23:22 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:23 UTC

On 03/05/2022 17:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2022 17:15:27 +0100, Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Had a gas man round today for an annual service of the gas boiler. When
>> he arrived and at no extra charge he commented that:-
>>
>> "I notice where your gas pipe goes into the house the coupling is badly
>> rusted. The ends of those couplers are quite thin and if it rusts right
>> through the repair will be very expensive (in the thousands of pound).
>> If I were you I would buy a little tin of Hammerite and paint the rusty
>> bit of iron making sure that you try and run some paint as far as you
>> can inside the white sleeving without filling the gap. A small expense
>> on a tin of Hammerite might save you a lot of money".
>>
>> Well as I already had a tin of Hammerite in the garage the only expense
>> was 10 minutes of my time, so it was a no brainer.
>>
>> My question is why might repair of this innocent looking component run
>> into thousands?
>>
>> A link to the installation (post application of hammerite is below)
>>

>> https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZMM5pVZDi3XX2M5RjbUK83EseKtI4Bx1KB7
>
> When I had my gas meter moved from inside the garage to outside so
> that it could be read without having to involve me, I had to have the
> whole length of ?black iron pipe replaced in 'plastic' right back to
> the main in the road, because it was 'policy'.
>
> Perhaps that would happen in your case.

Although if the pipe is before the meter, then it is not part of your
installation. I can see them wanting to charge for the work if you
instigate the change by wanting the meter moved, but not sure if they
could charge for it if is for maintenance required as a result of
general wear and tear on the distribution network?

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<59e2e686cbdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51232&group=uk.d-i-y#51232

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 18:41:19 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:41 UTC

In article <t4rkev$v16$1@dont-email.me>,
Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
> Had a gas man round today for an annual service of the gas boiler. When
> he arrived and at no extra charge he commented that:-

> "I notice where your gas pipe goes into the house the coupling is badly
> rusted. The ends of those couplers are quite thin and if it rusts right
> through the repair will be very expensive (in the thousands of pound).
> If I were you I would buy a little tin of Hammerite and paint the rusty
> bit of iron making sure that you try and run some paint as far as you
> can inside the white sleeving without filling the gap. A small expense
> on a tin of Hammerite might save you a lot of money".

Is this before or after the meter? When it became the fashion to move
meters outdoors, iron barrel was generally replaced at the same time.
I'd say an iron barrel coupling would take a very long time to rust
through.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4rq0g$irg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51235&group=uk.d-i-y#51235

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:50:08 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:50 UTC

On 03/05/2022 18:23, John Rumm wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 17:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 May 2022 17:15:27 +0100, Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Had a gas man round today for an annual service of the gas boiler. When
>>> he arrived and at no extra charge he commented that:-
>>>
>>> "I notice where your gas pipe goes into the house the coupling is badly
>>> rusted. The ends of those couplers are quite thin and if it rusts right
>>> through the repair will be very expensive (in the thousands of pound).
>>> If I were you I would buy a little tin of Hammerite and paint the rusty
>>> bit of iron making sure that you try and run some paint as far as you
>>> can inside the white sleeving without filling the gap. A small expense
>>> on a tin of Hammerite might save you a lot of money".
>>>
>>> Well as I already had a tin of Hammerite in the garage the only expense
>>> was 10 minutes of my time, so it was a no brainer.
>>>
>>> My question is why might repair of this innocent looking component run
>>> into thousands?
>>>
>>> A link to the installation (post application of hammerite is below)
>>>

>>> https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZMM5pVZDi3XX2M5RjbUK83EseKtI4Bx1KB7
>>
>> When I had my gas meter moved from inside the garage to outside so
>> that it could be read without having to involve me, I had to have the
>> whole length of ?black iron pipe replaced in 'plastic' right back to
>> the main in the road, because it was 'policy'.
>>
>> Perhaps that would happen in your case.
>
> Although if the pipe is before the meter, then it is not part of your
> installation. I can see them wanting to charge for the work if you
> instigate the change by wanting the meter moved, but not sure if they
> could charge for it if is for maintenance required as a result of
> general wear and tear on the distribution network?

From
<https://sgn.co.uk/sites/default/files/media-entities/documents/2020-01/SGN-Getting-Connected-Guide.pdf>:

"Bringing gas to you:

We own the pipes which transport gas into homes across southern England
and the whole of Scotland, but we don’t own the gas. We look after the
pipes up to the emergency control valve (ECV), which is located before
your meter and allows you to turn off gas in an emergency."

And from page 3 of that document:

"How much will it cost?

Every job is different but the majority of domestic work we carry out
costs customers between £400 and £1,000."

I assume other areas are similar.

--

Jeff

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4rq0p$ivb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51236&group=uk.d-i-y#51236

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 18:50:16 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:50 UTC

John Rumm explained :
> but not sure if they could charge for it if is for maintenance required as a
> result of general wear and tear on the distribution network?

It's what you pay for, as part of the meter standing charge.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4rq6u$ki3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51237&group=uk.d-i-y#51237

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 18:53:34 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:53 UTC

Chris B used his keyboard to write :
> My question is why might repair of this innocent looking component run into
> thousands?

It wouldn't. The thousands might refer to if there was a leak and the
leakage cuaght fire, burning your house down. Those are thick steel and
will take many decades to rust through.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4rqcr$kcs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51238&group=uk.d-i-y#51238

From: new...@salis.co.uk (Chris B)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:56:42 +0100
 by: Chris B - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:56 UTC

> In article <t4rkev$v16$1@dont-email.me>,
> Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
>> Had a gas man round today for an annual service of the gas boiler. When
>> he arrived and at no extra charge he commented that:-
>
>> "I notice where your gas pipe goes into the house the coupling is badly
>> rusted. The ends of those couplers are quite thin and if it rusts right
>> through the repair will be very expensive (in the thousands of pound).
>> If I were you I would buy a little tin of Hammerite and paint the rusty
>> bit of iron making sure that you try and run some paint as far as you
>> can inside the white sleeving without filling the gap. A small expense
>> on a tin of Hammerite might save you a lot of money".
>
> Is this before or after the meter? When it became the fashion to move
> meters outdoors, iron barrel was generally replaced at the same time.
> I'd say an iron barrel coupling would take a very long time to rust
> through.

Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in the
photo

--
Chris B (News)

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4rqk4$ogm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51240&group=uk.d-i-y#51240

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 19:00:35 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:00 UTC

Chris B explained on 03/05/2022 :
> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in the photo

In that case, your responsibility to pay for any repairs.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4s92e$ccm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51286&group=uk.d-i-y#51286

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 23:07:10 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 3 May 2022 22:07 UTC

On 03/05/2022 19:00, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> Chris B explained on 03/05/2022 :
>> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in
>> the photo
>>

> In that case, your responsibility to pay for any repairs.

Still can't see it costing thousands to re-pipe in copper from the meter
to the existing copper inside... even if paying someone else to do it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4tg0v$89d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51323&group=uk.d-i-y#51323

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 10:11:58 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 4 May 2022 09:11 UTC

John Rumm pretended :
> On 03/05/2022 19:00, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>> Chris B explained on 03/05/2022 :
>>> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in the
>>> photo
>>>

>> In that case, your responsibility to pay for any repairs.
>
> Still can't see it costing thousands to re-pipe in copper from the meter to
> the existing copper inside... even if paying someone else to do it.

I agree, only if it leaked and caused serious damage to the house would
it cost thaousands.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<59e344a4fddave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51343&group=uk.d-i-y#51343

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 11:49:21 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 4 May 2022 10:49 UTC

In article <t4rqcr$kcs$1@dont-email.me>,
Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 18:41, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article <t4rkev$v16$1@dont-email.me>,
> > Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Had a gas man round today for an annual service of the gas boiler. When
> >> he arrived and at no extra charge he commented that:-
> >
> >> "I notice where your gas pipe goes into the house the coupling is badly
> >> rusted. The ends of those couplers are quite thin and if it rusts right
> >> through the repair will be very expensive (in the thousands of pound).
> >> If I were you I would buy a little tin of Hammerite and paint the rusty
> >> bit of iron making sure that you try and run some paint as far as you
> >> can inside the white sleeving without filling the gap. A small expense
> >> on a tin of Hammerite might save you a lot of money".
> >
> > Is this before or after the meter? When it became the fashion to move
> > meters outdoors, iron barrel was generally replaced at the same time.
> > I'd say an iron barrel coupling would take a very long time to rust
> > through.
> >
> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in the
> photo

Then I'd contact BG or whoever and ask why it had been fitted with
materials not fit for purpose?

However, it's hardly going to cost thousands to replace a rusty coupler.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4tpik$4ph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51355&group=uk.d-i-y#51355

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 12:55:01 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 4 May 2022 11:55 UTC

> In article <t4rqcr$kcs$1@dont-email.me>,
> Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 03/05/2022 18:41, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>>> Is this before or after the meter? When it became the fashion to move
>>> meters outdoors, iron barrel was generally replaced at the same time.
>>> I'd say an iron barrel coupling would take a very long time to rust
>>> through.
>>>
>> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in the
>> photo
>
> Then I'd contact BG or whoever and ask why it had been fitted with
> materials not fit for purpose?
>
> However, it's hardly going to cost thousands to replace a rusty coupler.

When has iron barrel become not fit for purpose?

I would be worried about the copper side suffering damage from sticking
out so far with unknown support.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<59e34fd2a6dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51358&group=uk.d-i-y#51358

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 13:51:26 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 4 May 2022 12:51 UTC

In article <t4tpik$4ph$1@dont-email.me>,
Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
> >> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in
> >> the photo
> >
> > Then I'd contact BG or whoever and ask why it had been fitted with
> > materials not fit for purpose?
> >
> > However, it's hardly going to cost thousands to replace a rusty
> > coupler.

> When has iron barrel become not fit for purpose?

If it has rusted through, obviously not?

> I would be worried about the copper side suffering damage from sticking
> out so far with unknown support.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4u2j6$m6e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51365&group=uk.d-i-y#51365

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:28:54 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:28 UTC

On 03/05/2022 18:56, Chris B wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 18:41, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article <t4rkev$v16$1@dont-email.me>,
>>     Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Had a gas man round today for an annual service of the gas boiler.  When
>>> he arrived and at no extra charge he commented that:-
>>
>>> "I notice where your gas pipe goes into the house the coupling is badly
>>> rusted.  The ends of those couplers are quite thin and if it rusts right
>>> through the repair will be very expensive (in the thousands of pound).
>>> If I were you I would buy a little tin of Hammerite and paint the rusty
>>> bit of iron making sure that you try and run some paint as far as you
>>> can inside the white sleeving without filling the gap.  A small expense
>>> on a tin of Hammerite might save you a lot of money".
>>
>> Is this before or after the meter? When it became the fashion to move
>> meters outdoors, iron barrel was generally replaced at the same time.
>> I'd say an iron barrel coupling would take a very long time to rust
>> through.
>>
> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in the
> photo

Why is your pipework a mix of copper and 3/4 inch 'black' iron ?.

I would be more concerned about the gap between the 3/4 inch iron
and the sleeving where it goes through the wall because
that is a water trap and painting the outside won't protect what you
cannot see.

I would buy a can of spray grease from a motor factor and liberally
spray into that gap after a period of dry weather. Then wrap some
desno tape around the bit of iron on show to completely seal the
gap between gas pipe and sleeving.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4u2p1$m6e$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51368&group=uk.d-i-y#51368

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:32:01 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:32 UTC

On 03/05/2022 23:07, John Rumm wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 19:00, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>> Chris B explained on 03/05/2022 :
>>> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in
>>> the photo
>>>

>> In that case, your responsibility to pay for any repairs.
>
> Still can't see it costing thousands to re-pipe in copper from the meter
> to the existing copper inside... even if paying someone else to do it.

We don't know what is on the other side of that wall, only that
copper is connected to 3/4 inch screwed iron as it traverses the
wall on the outside.

If there is a matching iron->copper compression joint on the
other side (so must be accessible ??) then why is there a short
run of iron running through the wall ?. Easy to replace with
copper.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4u2t1$m6e$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51369&group=uk.d-i-y#51369

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:34:09 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:34 UTC

>>> Then I'd contact BG or whoever and ask why it had been fitted with
>>> materials not fit for purpose?
>>>
>>> However, it's hardly going to cost thousands to replace a rusty
>>> coupler.
>
>> When has iron barrel become not fit for purpose?
>
> If it has rusted through, obviously not?
>
>> I would be worried about the copper side suffering damage from sticking
>> out so far with unknown support.

If it was galvanised then there is no problem, but unprotected
3/4 inch 'black' iron pipe should have been wrapped with denso tape
or painted with bitumen paint (not Hammerite).

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4u3c4$10dg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51373&group=uk.d-i-y#51373

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:42:12 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:42 UTC

On 03/05/2022 18:53, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> Chris B used his keyboard to write :
>> My question is why might repair of this innocent looking component run
>> into thousands?
>
> It wouldn't. The thousands might refer to if there was a leak and the
> leakage cuaght fire, burning your house down. Those are thick steel and
> will take many decades to rust through.

The problem is what you cannot see, i.e. the small gap between pipe and
sleeve which is a water trap, where corrosion can occur more quickly
because it tends to be wet or damp for longer than exposed pipe.

In my house, the 3/4 inch iron pipe running to the meter under the
garage floor and into the house (under a metre wiode path) is inside
4 inch salt glazed pipes to isolate it from contact with soil and
is painted with black bitumen pipe (1976 build).

Modern installations (where iron pipe) is used, seem to use a mix of
galvanised or yellow plastic coated steel.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4u3u8$uvd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51375&group=uk.d-i-y#51375

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:51:52 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:51 UTC

On 04/05/2022 15:28, Andrew wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 18:56, Chris B wrote:
>> On 03/05/2022 18:41, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>>> Is this before or after the meter? When it became the fashion to move
>>> meters outdoors, iron barrel was generally replaced at the same time.
>>> I'd say an iron barrel coupling would take a very long time to rust
>>> through.
>>>
>> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in
>> the photo
>>

> Why is your pipework a mix of copper and 3/4 inch 'black' iron ?.
>
> I would be more concerned about the gap between the 3/4 inch iron
> and the sleeving where it goes through the wall because
> that is a water trap and painting the outside won't protect what you
> cannot see.
>
> I would buy a can of spray grease from a motor factor and liberally
> spray into that gap after a period of dry weather. Then wrap some
> desno tape around the bit of iron on show to completely seal the
> gap between gas pipe and sleeving.

I thought that was forbidden. While you can seal between the two pipes
on the inside of a wall, any leak between the two must be allowed to
escape outside.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4u3vp$veg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51376&group=uk.d-i-y#51376

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:52:41 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:52 UTC

On 04/05/2022 15:28, Andrew wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 18:56, Chris B wrote:
>> On 03/05/2022 18:41, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>>> Is this before or after the meter? When it became the fashion to move
>>> meters outdoors, iron barrel was generally replaced at the same time.
>>> I'd say an iron barrel coupling would take a very long time to rust
>>> through.
>>>
>> Its my side of the meter. The meter is outside, just to the left in
>> the photo
>>

> Why is your pipework a mix of copper and 3/4 inch 'black' iron ?.
>
> I would be more concerned about the gap between the 3/4 inch iron
> and the sleeving where it goes through the wall because
> that is a water trap and painting the outside won't protect what you
> cannot see.

The sleeving is a requirement if a pipe is passing through a cavity
wall. Typically gap between pipe and it's sleeve is sealed at the inside
interface, and the outside must be open such that leak is vented outside.

> I would buy a can of spray grease from a motor factor and liberally
> spray into that gap after a period of dry weather. Then wrap some
> desno tape around the bit of iron on show to completely seal the
> gap between gas pipe and sleeving.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t4vvsk$fdg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51460&group=uk.d-i-y#51460

From: new...@salis.co.uk (Chris B)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 08:54:58 +0100
 by: Chris B - Thu, 5 May 2022 07:54 UTC

On 04/05/2022 15:32, Andrew wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 23:07, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 03/05/2022 19:00, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>>> Chris B explained on 03/05/2022 :
>>>>

>>> In that case, your responsibility to pay for any repairs.
>>
>> Still can't see it costing thousands to re-pipe in copper from the
>> meter to the existing copper inside... even if paying someone else to
>> do it.
>>

> We don't know what is on the other side of that wall, only that
> copper is connected to 3/4 inch screwed iron as it traverses the
> wall on the outside.

There is nothing "visible" on the inside. The pipe disappears under the
floor to feed boiler/stove/fireplace on the other side of the house.

--
Chris B (News)

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t50067$hom$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51461&group=uk.d-i-y#51461

From: new...@salis.co.uk (Chris B)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 09:00:06 +0100
 by: Chris B - Thu, 5 May 2022 08:00 UTC

On 04/05/2022 15:32, Andrew wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 23:07, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 03/05/2022 19:00, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>>> Chris B explained on 03/05/2022 :
>>>>

>>> In that case, your responsibility to pay for any repairs.
>>
>> Still can't see it costing thousands to re-pipe in copper from the
>> meter to the existing copper inside... even if paying someone else to
>> do it.
>>

> We don't know what is on the other side of that wall, only that
> copper is connected to 3/4 inch screwed iron as it traverses the
> wall on the outside.
>
> If there is a matching iron->copper compression joint on the
> other side (so must be accessible ??) then why is there a short
> run of iron running through the wall ?. Easy to replace with
> copper.

It appears that the iron does not run all the way through the wall.
Although obliviously difficult to see there is a significant reduction
in pipe diameter just inside the sleeve. I assumed that this is a
return to copper and if it is then I have no idea why the iron coupler
has been fitted. Unless this is to satisfy some requirement or other.

--
Chris B (News)

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t5017n$ouk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51462&group=uk.d-i-y#51462

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 09:17:59 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 5 May 2022 08:17 UTC

On 05/05/2022 09:00, Chris B wrote:
> I have no idea why the iron coupler has been fitted.  Unless this is to
> satisfy some requirement or other.

Or it 'was all I had to hand at the time in the van, guv'

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<59e3db0f57dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51518&group=uk.d-i-y#51518

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 15:12:18 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 5 May 2022 14:12 UTC

In article <t50067$hom$1@dont-email.me>,
Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:
> On 04/05/2022 15:32, Andrew wrote:

> >> Still can't see it costing thousands to re-pipe in copper from the
> >> meter to the existing copper inside... even if paying someone else to
> >> do it.
> >>

> > We don't know what is on the other side of that wall, only that
> > copper is connected to 3/4 inch screwed iron as it traverses the
> > wall on the outside.
> >
> > If there is a matching iron->copper compression joint on the
> > other side (so must be accessible ??) then why is there a short
> > run of iron running through the wall ?. Easy to replace with
> > copper.

> It appears that the iron does not run all the way through the wall.
> Although obliviously difficult to see there is a significant reduction
> in pipe diameter just inside the sleeve. I assumed that this is a
> return to copper and if it is then I have no idea why the iron coupler
> has been fitted. Unless this is to satisfy some requirement or other.

I'd get in touch with your gas board. They will have originally sited the
meter outdoors. And should have used galvanised fittings, if iron barrel.

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Gas Pipe general query

<t50nh8$1q9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51524&group=uk.d-i-y#51524

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 15:38:32 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Thu, 5 May 2022 14:38 UTC

> In article <t50067$hom$1@dont-email.me>,
> Chris B <news@salis.co.uk> wrote:

>>> We don't know what is on the other side of that wall, only that
>>> copper is connected to 3/4 inch screwed iron as it traverses the
>>> wall on the outside.
>>>
>>> If there is a matching iron->copper compression joint on the
>>> other side (so must be accessible ??) then why is there a short
>>> run of iron running through the wall ?. Easy to replace with
>>> copper.
>
>> It appears that the iron does not run all the way through the wall.
>> Although obliviously difficult to see there is a significant reduction
>> in pipe diameter just inside the sleeve. I assumed that this is a
>> return to copper and if it is then I have no idea why the iron coupler
>> has been fitted. Unless this is to satisfy some requirement or other.
>
> I'd get in touch with your gas board. They will have originally sited the
> meter outdoors. And should have used galvanised fittings, if iron barrel.

I'm not sure if the OP will thank you for his floor being dug up!

Though something tells me they will reroute any pipework to take an
easier path.