An American is a man with two arms and four wheels. -- A Chinese child

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Wet & Dry vac recommendations

SubjectAuthor
* Wet & Dry vac recommendationsTricky Dicky
+* Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendationsThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendationsRJH
| `- Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendationsTricky Dicky
+- Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendationsnothanks
`* Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendationsJohn Rumm
 `- Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendationsSteve Walker

1
Wet & Dry vac recommendations

<a896f359-8de6-4e11-9c90-8981d2edeb7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51533&group=uk.d-i-y#51533

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 08:03:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Wet & Dry vac recommendations
From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
 by: Tricky Dicky - Thu, 5 May 2022 15:03 UTC

My trusty old Parkside Wet & Dry vac has finally died, so I am looking for a replacement. However, I frequently use it in conjunction with power tools the vac having a power take off up to 1600W, set in auto mode this switches the vac on as soon as the power tool is activated. Over the ten years use I have been pushing it a bit with my mitre saw which is rated at 1800W but it has never been a problem and even now that the motor is dead that power function is still working.

So the issue is trying to find one with a high watt PTO, only an Evolution vac comes anywhere near at 1700W but is low capacity and does not come out well in reviews mainly it seems underpowered and low suction.

So I have been looking at another approach which is buy a bog standard one and use some sort of plug in auto switch such as;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLICK-DSK105-Intelliplug-Desktop/dp/B000MPJSL0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LKX3C6FXLLPR&keywords=intelliplug&qid=1651761361&sprefix=Intelli%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5

This has been recommended by Peter Millard of 10 min. Workshop and seems capable of high watt loads although marketed as a device for use with PCs and their peripherals. It’s 5s delay is a bit of an issue so I was wondering if anyone had come across something similar more suitable? There seems to be plenty of choice in the USA but I have only come across one other UK device marketed by EoN which gets poor reviews.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Richard

Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendations

<t50s6j$77s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51541&group=uk.d-i-y#51541

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendations
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 16:58:11 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 5 May 2022 15:58 UTC

On 05/05/2022 16:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> My trusty old Parkside Wet & Dry vac has finally died, so I am
> looking for a replacement. However, I frequently use it in
> conjunction with power tools the vac having a power take off up to
> 1600W, set in auto mode this switches the vac on as soon as the power
> tool is activated. Over the ten years use I have been pushing it a
> bit with my mitre saw which is rated at 1800W but it has never been a
> problem and even now that the motor is dead that power function is
> still working.
>
> So the issue is trying to find one with a high watt PTO, only an
> Evolution vac comes anywhere near at 1700W but is low capacity and
> does not come out well in reviews mainly it seems underpowered and
> low suction.
>
> So I have been looking at another approach which is buy a bog
> standard one and use some sort of plug in auto switch such as;
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLICK-DSK105-Intelliplug-Desktop/dp/B000MPJSL0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LKX3C6FXLLPR&keywords=intelliplug&qid=1651761361&sprefix=Intelli%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5

Why on earth would you do that?
What are you trying to achieve?

> This has been recommended by Peter Millard of 10 min. Workshop and
> seems capable of high watt loads although marketed as a device for
> use with PCs and their peripherals. It’s 5s delay is a bit of an
> issue so I was wondering if anyone had come across something similar
> more suitable? There seems to be plenty of choice in the USA but I
> have only come across one other UK device marketed by EoN which gets
> poor reviews.
>
> Thanks for any recommendations.
>
> Richard

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendations

<jdihjgFe29qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51556&group=uk.d-i-y#51556

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 18:59:12 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Thu, 5 May 2022 17:59 UTC

On 05/05/2022 16:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> My trusty old Parkside Wet & Dry vac has finally died, so I am looking for a replacement. However, I frequently use it in conjunction with power tools the vac having a power take off up to 1600W, set in auto mode this switches the vac on as soon as the power tool is activated. Over the ten years use I have been pushing it a bit with my mitre saw which is rated at 1800W but it has never been a problem and even now that the motor is dead that power function is still working.
>
> So the issue is trying to find one with a high watt PTO, only an Evolution vac comes anywhere near at 1700W but is low capacity and does not come out well in reviews mainly it seems underpowered and low suction.
>
> So I have been looking at another approach which is buy a bog standard one and use some sort of plug in auto switch such as;
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLICK-DSK105-Intelliplug-Desktop/dp/B000MPJSL0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LKX3C6FXLLPR&keywords=intelliplug&qid=1651761361&sprefix=Intelli%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5
>
> This has been recommended by Peter Millard of 10 min. Workshop and seems capable of high watt loads although marketed as a device for use with PCs and their peripherals. It’s 5s delay is a bit of an issue so I was wondering if anyone had come across something similar more suitable? There seems to be plenty of choice in the USA but I have only come across one other UK device marketed by EoN which gets poor reviews.
>
> Thanks for any recommendations.
>
> Richard
I used to use the Eon thing with a dust extractor but changed to these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323911226087 and have been very pleased. I
have a dust extractor and a chip extractor and keep the fob on a string
and turn the extractors on/off when needed. The chip extractor is a bit
of a beast and the start-up current popped the first remote so I added a
relay.
Alternatively, extract (!) the widget from your dead vac and add a
contactor ...

Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendations

<t516q1$2gd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51564&group=uk.d-i-y#51564

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 19:59:12 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 5 May 2022 18:59 UTC

On 05/05/2022 16:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> My trusty old Parkside Wet & Dry vac has finally died, so I am
> looking for a replacement. However, I frequently use it in
> conjunction with power tools the vac having a power take off up to
> 1600W, set in auto mode this switches the vac on as soon as the power
> tool is activated. Over the ten years use I have been pushing it a
> bit with my mitre saw which is rated at 1800W but it has never been a
> problem and even now that the motor is dead that power function is
> still working.
>
> So the issue is trying to find one with a high watt PTO, only an
> Evolution vac comes anywhere near at 1700W but is low capacity and
> does not come out well in reviews mainly it seems underpowered and
> low suction.
>
> So I have been looking at another approach which is buy a bog
> standard one and use some sort of plug in auto switch such as;
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLICK-DSK105-Intelliplug-Desktop/dp/B000MPJSL0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LKX3C6FXLLPR&keywords=intelliplug&qid=1651761361&sprefix=Intelli%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5
>
> This has been recommended by Peter Millard of 10 min. Workshop and
> seems capable of high watt loads although marketed as a device for
> use with PCs and their peripherals. It’s 5s delay is a bit of an
> issue so I was wondering if anyone had come across something similar
> more suitable? There seems to be plenty of choice in the USA but I
> have only come across one other UK device marketed by EoN which gets
> poor reviews.
>
> Thanks for any recommendations.

I think I would be tempted to build something that can be powered from
two sockets. One used for the tool in use, drawing up to 3kW from the
first socket, while auto switching the second. The second allowing a 3kW
load to be remotely switched.

Might even be worth making the slave unit remote with a wireless link
between them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendations

<t5184i$cif$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51570&group=uk.d-i-y#51570

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 20:21:54 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Thu, 5 May 2022 19:21 UTC

On 05/05/2022 19:59, John Rumm wrote:
> On 05/05/2022 16:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> My trusty old Parkside Wet & Dry vac has finally died, so I am
>> looking for a replacement. However, I frequently use it in
>> conjunction with power tools the vac having a power take off up to
>> 1600W, set in auto mode this switches the vac on as soon as the power
>> tool is activated. Over the ten years use I have been pushing it a
>> bit with my mitre saw which is rated at 1800W but it has never been a
>> problem and even now that the motor is dead that power function is
>> still working.
>>
>> So the issue is trying to find one with a high watt PTO, only an
>> Evolution vac comes anywhere near at 1700W but is low capacity and
>> does not come out well in reviews mainly it seems underpowered and
>> low suction.
>>
>> So I have been looking at another approach which is buy a bog
>> standard one and use some sort of plug in auto switch such as;
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLICK-DSK105-Intelliplug-Desktop/dp/B000MPJSL0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LKX3C6FXLLPR&keywords=intelliplug&qid=1651761361&sprefix=Intelli%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5
>>

>>  This has been recommended by Peter Millard of 10 min. Workshop and
>> seems capable of high watt loads although marketed as a device for
>> use with PCs and their peripherals. It’s 5s delay is a bit of an
>> issue so I was wondering if anyone had come across something similar
>> more suitable? There seems to be plenty of choice in the USA but I
>> have only come across one other UK device marketed by EoN which gets
>> poor reviews.
>>
>> Thanks for any recommendations.
>
> I think I would be tempted to build something that can be powered from
> two sockets. One used for the tool in use, drawing up to 3kW from the
> first socket, while auto switching the second. The second allowing a 3kW
> load to be remotely switched.

There are plenty of designs and videos of building them.

Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendations

<t518ri$j9v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51573&group=uk.d-i-y#51573

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 19:34:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 5 May 2022 19:34 UTC

On 5 May 2022 at 16:58:11 BST, "The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> On 05/05/2022 16:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> My trusty old Parkside Wet & Dry vac has finally died, so I am
>> looking for a replacement. However, I frequently use it in
>> conjunction with power tools the vac having a power take off up to
>> 1600W, set in auto mode this switches the vac on as soon as the power
>> tool is activated. Over the ten years use I have been pushing it a
>> bit with my mitre saw which is rated at 1800W but it has never been a
>> problem and even now that the motor is dead that power function is
>> still working.
>>
>> So the issue is trying to find one with a high watt PTO, only an
>> Evolution vac comes anywhere near at 1700W but is low capacity and
>> does not come out well in reviews mainly it seems underpowered and
>> low suction.
>>
>> So I have been looking at another approach which is buy a bog
>> standard one and use some sort of plug in auto switch such as;
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLICK-DSK105-Intelliplug-Desktop/dp/B000MPJSL0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LKX3C6FXLLPR&keywords=intelliplug&qid=1651761361&sprefix=Intelli%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5
>>
> Why on earth would you do that?
> What are you trying to achieve?

When the power tool is switched on/off, the hoover switches on/off
automatically. This saves you having to remember, avoiding the noise if
otherwise keeping it running, and the convenience of seeing to two devices. I
could mention saving electricity (but I won't).

To the OP - my Parkside runs on for a few seconds after the tool's been
switched off, which might be useful. They had them on sale recently - monster
of a device but very noisy.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Wet & Dry vac recommendations

<bccb47f8-5f30-46a0-aa88-c96b4b4c6775n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51597&group=uk.d-i-y#51597

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 00:36:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
 by: Tricky Dicky - Fri, 6 May 2022 07:36 UTC

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 8:34:14 PM UTC+1, RJH wrote:
> On 5 May 2022 at 16:58:11 BST, "The Natural Philosopher" <t...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
> > On 05/05/2022 16:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> >> My trusty old Parkside Wet & Dry vac has finally died, so I am
> >> looking for a replacement. However, I frequently use it in
> >> conjunction with power tools the vac having a power take off up to
> >> 1600W, set in auto mode this switches the vac on as soon as the power
> >> tool is activated. Over the ten years use I have been pushing it a
> >> bit with my mitre saw which is rated at 1800W but it has never been a
> >> problem and even now that the motor is dead that power function is
> >> still working.
> >>
> >> So the issue is trying to find one with a high watt PTO, only an
> >> Evolution vac comes anywhere near at 1700W but is low capacity and
> >> does not come out well in reviews mainly it seems underpowered and
> >> low suction.
> >>
> >> So I have been looking at another approach which is buy a bog
> >> standard one and use some sort of plug in auto switch such as;
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLICK-DSK105-Intelliplug-Desktop/dp/B000MPJSL0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LKX3C6FXLLPR&keywords=intelliplug&qid=1651761361&sprefix=Intelli%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5
> >>
> > Why on earth would you do that?
> > What are you trying to achieve?
> >>
> When the power tool is switched on/off, the hoover switches on/off
> automatically. This saves you having to remember, avoiding the noise if
> otherwise keeping it running, and the convenience of seeing to two devices. I
> could mention saving electricity (but I won't).
>
> To the OP - my Parkside runs on for a few seconds after the tool's been
> switched off, which might be useful. They had them on sale recently - monster
> of a device but very noisy.
>
> --
> Cheers, Rob

OP here, as Rob says that is the reason for wanting one with a suitable PTO mainly to keep the noise down rather than having the vac run constantly and also not to having to remember to switch the vac on every time I run the power tool.

A lot of chips and dust still do not get collected by the dust extraction port on the mitre saw but it seems to be a problem with all of them even high end types with some people building elaborate hoods around them to collect as much as possible.

Having not found one with a high watt PTO I am leaning towards buying a bog standard vac and giving the Intelliplug a go just remembering to give it 5s to switch the vac on. Like my defunct Parkside the Intelliplug does run the peripheral device in my case the vac for a few seconds after switch off.

Incidentally the fault was one excessively worn carbon brush and I did eventually find one company that did many Parkside spares but Sods Law nothing for my model. They had ones for the next later model just two digits different model number but of course the replacement brushes were just ever so slightly different so as not to fit mine. Oh well!

Richard