Q: What do you call a half-dozen Indians with Asian flu? A: Six sick Sikhs (sic).

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

SubjectAuthor
* Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterMichael Chare
+- Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterPaul
+- Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterFredxx
+- Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterJock
+- Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterwilliamwright
+* Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterDavid Wade
|+- Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterwilliamwright
|`- Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterDave Plowman (News)
`* Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterBrian
 +* Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterMichael Chare
 |`- Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterVir Campestris
 `- Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resisterThe Natural Philosopher

1
Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<t4cgr5$1alq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50443&group=uk.d-i-y#50443

From: mUNDERSC...@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 23:41:40 +0100
 by: Michael Chare - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 22:41 UTC

When I tried to start my grass cutter today it kept stopping after about
half a minute. The cutter has a Honda GCV160 engine. I could not find a
fault with the fuel system so I consulted my computer which thought that
the problem might be due to a faulty spark plug, which is a NGK BPR6ES.
These plugs have an internal resister to reduce RF interference. As it
happens I have some old car spark plugs which don't have resisters and
are the same length. The grass cutter does run with these plugs but I
was not sure how long I should do this for as I did not want the coil to
get to hot because of increased current flow.

Is the coil likely to be damaged if I continue to use a spark plug
without a resister?

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<t4ck4k$dto$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50447&group=uk.d-i-y#50447

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:37:57 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 23:37 UTC

On 4/27/2022 6:41 PM, Michael Chare wrote:
> When I tried to start my grass cutter today it kept stopping after about half a minute. The cutter has a Honda GCV160 engine. I could not find a fault with the fuel system so I consulted my computer which thought that the problem might be due to a faulty spark plug, which is a NGK BPR6ES. These plugs have an internal resister to reduce RF interference.  As it happens I have some old car spark plugs which don't have resisters and are the same length. The grass cutter does run with these plugs but I was not sure how long I should do this for as I did not want the coil to get to hot because of increased current flow.
>
> Is the coil likely to be damaged if I continue to use a spark plug without a resister?

https://www.wersis.net/ngk/ngk-bpr6es.html

Resistor Yes
Resistor value 5 KΩ

There's no hint at power handling capacity though.

*******

And the bastards fool around with the stuff,
and are stuffing resistors various places. There
is one patent, with what looks like a snubber
implemented at the body level of the coil. Many
cooks adding ingredients to the broth.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2022/03/06/resistance-is-not-futile-dont-overlook-the-role-ohms-play-in-your-ignition-systems-spark-plugs-boots/

Paul

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<t4cks4$d4j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50448&group=uk.d-i-y#50448

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 00:50:27 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 23:50 UTC

On 27/04/2022 23:41, Michael Chare wrote:
> When I tried to start my grass cutter today it kept stopping after about
> half a minute. The cutter has a Honda GCV160 engine. I could not find a
> fault with the fuel system so I consulted my computer which thought that
> the problem might be due to a faulty spark plug, which is a NGK BPR6ES.
> These plugs have an internal resister to reduce RF interference.  As it
> happens I have some old car spark plugs which don't have resisters and
> are the same length. The grass cutter does run with these plugs but I
> was not sure how long I should do this for as I did not want the coil to
> get to hot because of increased current flow.
>
> Is the coil likely to be damaged if I continue to use a spark plug
> without a resister?

No, the spark energy is peanuts to the current flowing in the primary. A
non-resistor spark will deliver more spark energy but will also create
more RFI.

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<op.1la8fgmoc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50449&group=uk.d-i-y#50449

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:46:18 +1000
 by: Jock - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 00:46 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:41:40 +1000, Michael Chare
<mUNDERSCOREnews@charedotorg.uk> wrote:

> When I tried to start my grass cutter today it kept stopping after about
> half a minute. The cutter has a Honda GCV160 engine. I could not find a
> fault with the fuel system so I consulted my computer which thought that
> the problem might be due to a faulty spark plug, which is a NGK BPR6ES.
> These plugs have an internal resister to reduce RF interference. As it
> happens I have some old car spark plugs which don't have resisters and
> are the same length. The grass cutter does run with these plugs but I
> was not sure how long I should do this for as I did not want the coil to
> get to hot because of increased current flow.
>
> Is the coil likely to be damaged if I continue to use a spark plug
> without a resister?

Nope.

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<jcucb1Fi1e9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50453&group=uk.d-i-y#50453

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 03:26:41 +0100
 by: williamwright - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 02:26 UTC

On 27/04/2022 23:41, Michael Chare wrote:
> Is the coil likely to be damaged if I continue to use a spark plug
> without a resister?

No.

Bill

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<t4e3pq$hf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50517&group=uk.d-i-y#50517

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:11:22 +0100
 by: David Wade - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:11 UTC

On 27/04/2022 23:41, Michael Chare wrote:
> When I tried to start my grass cutter today it kept stopping after about
> half a minute. The cutter has a Honda GCV160 engine. I could not find a
> fault with the fuel system so I consulted my computer which thought that
> the problem might be due to a faulty spark plug, which is a NGK BPR6ES.
> These plugs have an internal resister to reduce RF interference.  As it
> happens I have some old car spark plugs which don't have resisters and
> are the same length. The grass cutter does run with these plugs but I
> was not sure how long I should do this for as I did not want the coil to
> get to hot because of increased current flow.
>
> Is the coil likely to be damaged if I continue to use a spark plug
> without a resister?

No but length isn't the only factor, plugs are designed to run a certain
temperatures as well.

The purpose of the resistor is to reduce Radio and TV interference, so
if you run it when there is some sporting event on TV you risk physical
abuse.

So I would say its worth ordering the correct type.

Dave

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<jd01irFrvt6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50556&group=uk.d-i-y#50556

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:35:24 +0100
 by: williamwright - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:35 UTC

On 28/04/2022 14:11, David Wade wrote:

> The purpose of the resistor is to reduce Radio and TV interference, so
> if you run it when there is some sporting event on TV you risk physical
> abuse.

Ignition interference is very unusual these days.

Bill

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<t4fsgg$qpl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50601&group=uk.d-i-y#50601

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:19:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7eKeda8h5lh4u+T1pT4wLqRynaQ=
 by: Brian - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:19 UTC

Michael Chare <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
> When I tried to start my grass cutter today it kept stopping after about
> half a minute. The cutter has a Honda GCV160 engine. I could not find a
> fault with the fuel system so I consulted my computer which thought that
> the problem might be due to a faulty spark plug, which is a NGK BPR6ES.
> These plugs have an internal resister to reduce RF interference. As it
> happens I have some old car spark plugs which don't have resisters and
> are the same length. The grass cutter does run with these plugs but I
> was not sure how long I should do this for as I did not want the coil to
> get to hot because of increased current flow.
>
> Is the coil likely to be damaged if I continue to use a spark plug
> without a resister?

Have you tried cleaning and regapping the spark plug?

There is very little that can fail in spark plugs. They get gunged up etc,
need regapping (less common now) but actual failure is rare.

I’ve seen photos of cracked insulators etc but never actually seen one in
the flesh. Generally plug problems can be fixed by a good clean and
resetting the gap.

In modern engines, plugs don’t even ‘wear’ away like they used to.

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<t4g9ru$qaf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50619&group=uk.d-i-y#50619

From: mUNDERSC...@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:07:07 +0100
 by: Michael Chare - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:07 UTC

On 29/04/2022 06:19, Brian wrote:
> Michael Chare <mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
>> When I tried to start my grass cutter today it kept stopping after about
>> half a minute. The cutter has a Honda GCV160 engine. I could not find a
>> fault with the fuel system so I consulted my computer which thought that
>> the problem might be due to a faulty spark plug, which is a NGK BPR6ES.
>> These plugs have an internal resister to reduce RF interference. As it
>> happens I have some old car spark plugs which don't have resisters and
>> are the same length. The grass cutter does run with these plugs but I
>> was not sure how long I should do this for as I did not want the coil to
>> get to hot because of increased current flow.
>>
>> Is the coil likely to be damaged if I continue to use a spark plug
>> without a resister?
>>

> Have you tried cleaning and regapping the spark plug?
>
> There is very little that can fail in spark plugs. They get gunged up etc,
> need regapping (less common now) but actual failure is rare.
>
> I’ve seen photos of cracked insulators etc but never actually seen one in
> the flesh. Generally plug problems can be fixed by a good clean and
> resetting the gap.
>
> In modern engines, plugs don’t even ‘wear’ away like they used to.

Thanks for all the replies. I managed to cut the grass with my old car
spark plug. There was no interference on my FM radio. I have ordered
the correct replacement plug on ebay. The plug in the mower is 16 years
old. It worked two weeks ago.

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<t4gr9d$vcl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50664&group=uk.d-i-y#50664

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:04:29 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:04 UTC

On 29/04/2022 06:19, Brian wrote:
> There is very little that can fail in spark plugs. They get gunged up etc,
> need regapping (less common now) but actual failure is rare.

seen many cases of arcs dancing down the insulation...

--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of

Dennis Miller

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<t536s0$vg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51631&group=uk.d-i-y#51631

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 14:12:32 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Fri, 6 May 2022 13:12 UTC

On 29/04/2022 10:07, Michael Chare wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. I managed to cut the grass with my old car
> spark plug. There was no interference on my FM radio.  I have ordered
> the correct replacement plug on ebay. The plug in the mower is 16 years
> old. It worked two weeks ago.

If the plug is the wrong temperature setting you will find
* if too cold it will oil up
* If too hot it may burn a hole in the piston
It can't be far out as you got as far as you did, but get the right one!

Andy

Re: Grass cutter Spark Plug resister

<59e46f9f5cdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51661&group=uk.d-i-y#51661

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 18:14:58 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 6 May 2022 17:14 UTC

In article <t4e3pq$hf4$1@dont-email.me>,
David Wade <g4ugm@dave.invalid> wrote:
> The purpose of the resistor is to reduce Radio and TV interference, so
> if you run it when there is some sporting event on TV you risk physical
> abuse.

Think on modern engines, they also reduce interference to the engine ECU.
Read reports of not using them causing misfires.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.