A pat on the back is only a few centimeters from a kick in the pants.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Garden Wall Construction

SubjectAuthor
* Garden Wall ConstructionJeff Gaines
+- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionJock
+* Re: Garden Wall Constructionwilliamwright
|+* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionAndy Burns
||+- Re: Garden Wall Constructionwilliamwright
||`* Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m
|| `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionAndy Burns
||  `* Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m
||   `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionAndy Burns
||    `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionAndy Burns
||     `* Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m
||      `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionAndy Burns
||       `* Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m
||        `- Re: Garden Wall Constructionwilliamwright
|+- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionAndy Burns
|+* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionColin Bignell
||+* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionMartin Brown
|||`- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionColin Bignell
||`* Re: Garden Wall Constructionwilliamwright
|| `- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionColin Bignell
|`- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionAndrew
+- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionJeff Gaines
+* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionRobin
|`* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionBev
| +- Re: Garden Wall Constructionwilliamwright
| `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionJeff Gaines
|  +- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionTricky Dicky
|  `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionBev
|   +* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionJeff Gaines
|   |+* Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m
|   ||`* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionJeff Gaines
|   || +- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionThe Natural Philosopher
|   || `* Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m
|   ||  +* Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m
|   ||  |`- Re: Garden Wall Constructionwilliamwright
|   ||  `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionJeff Gaines
|   ||   +- Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m
|   ||   `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionTim Lamb
|   ||    `- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionJeff Gaines
|   |`- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionThe Natural Philosopher
|   `- Re: Garden Wall Constructionwilliamwright
`* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionThe Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionTim Lamb
  +- Re: Garden Wall ConstructionAndrew
  `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionThe Natural Philosopher
   `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionTim Lamb
    `* Re: Garden Wall ConstructionThe Natural Philosopher
     `- Re: Garden Wall Constructionalan_m

Pages:12
Garden Wall Construction

<xn0nhinu0smk14002@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51582&group=uk.d-i-y#51582

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Garden Wall Construction
Date: 5 May 2022 21:49:19 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 5 May 2022 21:49 UTC

I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden, ti
will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6' high.
It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7 terraced houses.

The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin that
faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner skin to give
me a solid 9" wall.

Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face will
be covered by a hedge once it's grown.

Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<op.1lpu5sy9c5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51583&group=uk.d-i-y#51583

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Garden Wall Construction
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 08:23:42 +1000
 by: Jock - Thu, 5 May 2022 22:23 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 07:49:19 +1000, Jeff Gaines
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden, ti
> will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6'
> high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7 terraced
> houses.
>
> The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin that
> faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner skin to
> give me a solid 9" wall.
>
> Does this sound a reasonable method of construction?

No, makes a lot more sense to have a single leaf run of 8" concrete blocks.

> The inner face will be covered by a hedge once it's grown.
>
> Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?

Yep.

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<jdj8crFi6nbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51584&group=uk.d-i-y#51584

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 01:28:12 +0100
 by: williamwright - Fri, 6 May 2022 00:28 UTC

On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden, ti
> will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6'
> high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7 terraced
> houses.
>
> The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin that
> faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner skin to
> give me a solid 9" wall.
>
> Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face will
> be covered by a hedge once it's grown.
>
> Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?

Six feet is quite a high wall. I think I'd be asking for brick pillars
every 2 metres or so. And really good footings. It's a lot of wall and a
lot of bricks. I suppose you've considered cheaper options?

Bill

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<jdjqjiFlb69U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51594&group=uk.d-i-y#51594

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 06:38:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 6 May 2022 05:38 UTC

williamwright wrote:

> It's a lot of wall and a lot of bricks.

couple of thousand bricks? roughly £1 each, is the rule of thumb still "as much
to lay them as to buy them"? plus digging and pouring of a foundation

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<jdjqu7Fld1sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51595&group=uk.d-i-y#51595

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 06:44:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 6 May 2022 05:44 UTC

williamwright wrote:

> I think I'd be asking for brick pillars every 2 metres

required every 3m, but 2m might be better, also expansion joint required for
runs over 25ft, if it has an opening for a gate that might alter.

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<6qOdnQ_wF9KuSen_nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51599&group=uk.d-i-y#51599

Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 08:54:25 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 6 May 2022 07:54 UTC

On 06/05/2022 01:28, williamwright wrote:
> On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden,
>> ti will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6'
>> high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7 terraced
>> houses.
>>
>> The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin
>> that faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner skin
>> to give me a solid 9" wall.

You could opt for all blockwork, unless you have some reason to want the
outer face to look pretty. Even then, skim and paint also works.

>> Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face
>> will be covered by a hedge once it's grown.
>>
>> Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?
>>

> Six feet is quite a high wall. I think I'd be asking for brick pillars
> every 2 metres or so. And really good footings. It's a lot of wall and a
> lot of bricks. I suppose you've considered cheaper options?
>
> Bill

I don't think a 9" thick wall needs pillars. The house I had in France
had long walls of that thickness without any piers and I have a shorter
one in my garden that only has them at the gate, but that is also to
enclose the steel columns of a U frame that carries the double gate hinges.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<t52mee$hm3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51600&group=uk.d-i-y#51600

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 09:32:14 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 6 May 2022 08:32 UTC

On 06/05/2022 08:54, Colin Bignell wrote:
> On 06/05/2022 01:28, williamwright wrote:
>>
>> Six feet is quite a high wall. I think I'd be asking for brick pillars
>> every 2 metres or so. And really good footings. It's a lot of wall and
>> a lot of bricks. I suppose you've considered cheaper options?
>>
>> Bill
>
> I don't think a 9" thick wall needs pillars. The house I had in France
> had long walls of that thickness without any piers and I have a shorter
> one in my garden that only has them at the gate, but that is also to
> enclose the steel columns of a U frame that carries the double gate hinges.

It may not officially need them but if it falls on someone it would be
very embarrassing. My 3' retaining wall inside the garden failed a few
years back and was two courses without pillars but with a zigzag in and
out structure so that the longest run without a rightangle was <10'.

It was on adequate foundations and failed due to an abnormal load of
water and mud forming behind it (field drains had stopped working).

ASCI ART
____ ______ ____
___| |____| |____| |__

The recesses built by a previous owner contained steps, BBQ space, oil
tank and went back different distances (not shown). I had not expected
it to be a problem until it suddenly keeled over. No bulging just one
moment it was vertical and two seconds later it was flat on the deck.

It failed after water had built up behind it and an outer 10' chunk
broke away as a single slab and fell over without warning.
It went with one hell of a bang! Didn't do my lemon tree much good.

It sheared along diagonal lines down from the supported corners.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<xn0nhji4a1gky7g003@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51604&group=uk.d-i-y#51604

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 6 May 2022 08:59:54 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 6 May 2022 08:59 UTC

On 05/05/2022 in message <xn0nhinu0smk14002@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face will
>be covered by a hedge once it's grown.

Many thanks for the replies :-)

A 9" wall won't need piers. I want a decent outside face, the inside will
be covered in plants quite quickly.I did get one quote for fence which
shocked me a bit (looks like I aint seen nothing yet though), the path is
used by about 6 houses and if they have maintenance work carried out the
fence takes some knocks so I want something a bit stronger.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<DMednduU96Qudun_nZ2dnUU7-V_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51608&group=uk.d-i-y#51608

Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 10:34:41 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 6 May 2022 09:34 UTC

On 06/05/2022 09:32, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 06/05/2022 08:54, Colin Bignell wrote:
>> On 06/05/2022 01:28, williamwright wrote:
>>>
>>> Six feet is quite a high wall. I think I'd be asking for brick
>>> pillars every 2 metres or so. And really good footings. It's a lot of
>>> wall and a lot of bricks. I suppose you've considered cheaper options?
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> I don't think a 9" thick wall needs pillars. The house I had in France
>> had long walls of that thickness without any piers and I have a
>> shorter one in my garden that only has them at the gate, but that is
>> also to enclose the steel columns of a U frame that carries the double
>> gate hinges.
>
> It may not officially need them but if it falls on someone it would be
> very embarrassing. My 3' retaining wall inside the garden failed a few
> years back and was two courses without pillars but with a zigzag in and
> out structure so that the longest run without a rightangle was  <10'.

Retaining walls are a different case. One that high needs batter and to
be tied back into the ground it is supporting.

> It was on adequate foundations and failed due to an abnormal load of
> water and mud forming behind it (field drains had stopped working).
>
> ASCI ART
>    ____    ______    ____
> ___|  |____|    |____|  |__
>
> The recesses built by a previous owner contained steps, BBQ space, oil
> tank and went back different distances (not shown). I had not expected
> it to be a problem until it suddenly keeled over. No bulging just one
> moment it was vertical and two seconds later it was flat on the deck.
>
> It failed after water had built up behind it and an outer 10' chunk
> broke away as a single slab and fell over without warning.
> It went with one hell of a bang! Didn't do my lemon tree much good.
>
> It sheared along diagonal lines down from the supported corners.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<9c0e192a-95a7-ddf0-8b48-745b205111b9@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51611&group=uk.d-i-y#51611

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 10:47:05 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 6 May 2022 09:47 UTC

On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden, ti
> will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6'
> high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7 terraced
> houses.
>
> The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin that
> faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner skin to
> give me a solid 9" wall.
>
> Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face will
> be covered by a hedge once it's grown.

Location matters* but feels a bit close without piers even in a
sheltered area. And patently good ties needed in the absence of bonding
courses.

*<https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/fences-gates-and-garden-walls/building-regulations-general-information>

--
Robin

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<t52s05$ro9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51615&group=uk.d-i-y#51615

From: Bev...@invalid.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 10:07:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Fri, 6 May 2022 10:07 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 10:47:05 +0100, Robin wrote:

> On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden,
>> ti will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6'
>> high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7 terraced
>> houses.
>>
>> The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin that
>> faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner skin to
>> give me a solid 9" wall.
>>
>> Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face
>> will be covered by a hedge once it's grown.
>>

> Location matters* but feels a bit close without piers even in a
> sheltered area. And patently good ties needed in the absence of bonding
> courses.
>
> *<https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/fences-
gates-and-garden-walls/building-regulations-general-information>

and as the OP has said it abuts a path and can get some knocks then I'd
be much happier with piers. The extra cost will be far less than a
personal injury claim should the wall fall on anyone and insurers may be
very reluctant to cover any claim.

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<jdkh5iFpgpoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51623&group=uk.d-i-y#51623

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 13:04:03 +0100
 by: williamwright - Fri, 6 May 2022 12:04 UTC

On 06/05/2022 06:38, Andy Burns wrote:
> williamwright wrote:
>
>> It's a lot of wall and a lot of bricks.
>
> couple of thousand bricks?  roughly £1 each, is the rule of thumb still
> "as much to lay them as to buy them"?  plus digging and pouring of a
> foundation

I had a retaining wall built years ago. It was 20 metres long and varied
in height but at one point was 2 metres. We put really good footings in
then built the wall 350mm thick for the first metre, then 225mm. The
wall was curved which added strength (I hope). I put weep holes in. It
hasn't moved.

Bill

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<jdkh8vFpgpoU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51624&group=uk.d-i-y#51624

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 13:05:52 +0100
 by: williamwright - Fri, 6 May 2022 12:05 UTC

On 06/05/2022 08:54, Colin Bignell wrote:
> I don't think a 9" thick wall needs pillars.

Six foot high though? And against a footpath so kids might be climbing
on it. I like pillars at intervals; they break up the wall visually.

Bill

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<jdkhe8FpgpoU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51625&group=uk.d-i-y#51625

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 13:08:41 +0100
 by: williamwright - Fri, 6 May 2022 12:08 UTC

On 06/05/2022 11:07, Bev wrote:
> I'd
> be much happier with piers. The extra cost will be far less than a
> personal injury claim should the wall fall on anyone and insurers may be
> very reluctant to cover any claim.

Yes, that's my feeling. And it will look better.

Bill

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<xn0nhjnor1o2cux006@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51628&group=uk.d-i-y#51628

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 6 May 2022 12:29:24 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 6 May 2022 12:29 UTC

On 06/05/2022 in message <t52s05$ro9$1@dont-email.me> Bev wrote:

>and as the OP has said it abuts a path and can get some knocks then I'd
>be much happier with piers. The extra cost will be far less than a
>personal injury claim should the wall fall on anyone and insurers may be
>very reluctant to cover any claim.

I have piers on the 4" wall along the side of the garden but can't see why
a 9" wall would need piers.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<1c2b94cb-4389-418e-9468-1d1e4b92ff8en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51634&group=uk.d-i-y#51634

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 06:45:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
 by: Tricky Dicky - Fri, 6 May 2022 13:45 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:29:29 PM UTC+1, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 06/05/2022 in message <t52s05$ro9$1...@dont-email.me> Bev wrote:
>
> >and as the OP has said it abuts a path and can get some knocks then I'd
> >be much happier with piers. The extra cost will be far less than a
> >personal injury claim should the wall fall on anyone and insurers may be
> >very reluctant to cover any claim.
> I have piers on the 4" wall along the side of the garden but can't see why
> a 9" wall would need piers.
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.
> (Margaret Thatcher, speech at the White House 17 December 1979)

When we had the groundwork’s done for our garage, it necessitated a number of retaining walls being built these were sandstone faced but the inner facing wall was constructed from what the builder referred to as “sugar cube” concrete blocks which were standard concrete block height and width but double the thickness of a normal block. A 1.5m high wall was built with this method without any piers.

Richard

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<Y8mdnYc72dKLsej_nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51638&group=uk.d-i-y#51638

Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 15:09:24 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 6 May 2022 14:09 UTC

On 06/05/2022 13:05, williamwright wrote:
> On 06/05/2022 08:54, Colin Bignell wrote:
>> I don't think a 9" thick wall needs pillars.
>
> Six foot high though?

Mine is higher, at 2 metres

.. And against a footpath so kids might be climbing
> on it.

Mine backs onto a garage compound. Never had any problems with the kids
climbing over to collect a ball that has been kicked over. Nor would I
expect any with a properly maintained wall.

I like pillars at intervals; they break up the wall visually.

The inside is going to be hidden by a hedge. The outside can't have
pillars if it is built up to the boundary, as they would be on somebody
else's land. The only place pillars are actually needed would be at
free-standing wall ends or on either side of a gateway.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<t53df3$1fbm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51652&group=uk.d-i-y#51652

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 16:05:06 +0100
 by: Andrew - Fri, 6 May 2022 15:05 UTC

On 06/05/2022 01:28, williamwright wrote:
> On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden,
>> ti will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6'
>> high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7 terraced
>> houses.
>>
>> The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin
>> that faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner skin
>> to give me a solid 9" wall.
>>
>> Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face
>> will be covered by a hedge once it's grown.
>>
>> Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?
>>

> Six feet is quite a high wall. I think I'd be asking for brick pillars
> every 2 metres or so. And really good footings. It's a lot of wall and a
> lot of bricks. I suppose you've considered cheaper options?
>
> Bill

Indeed, slotted concrete posts with 6 foot high heavy duty panels
(not the usual shiplap crap) on top of a 6 foot by 1 foot and
2 inch thick gravel 'board' should do the trick. If you can
still get solvent-based treatment to give them an initial coat
even better. Should last 30+ years.

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<t53m6c$1ql$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51670&group=uk.d-i-y#51670

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 18:34:03 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 6 May 2022 17:34 UTC

On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the garden, ti
> will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet long by 6'
> high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or 7 terraced
> houses.
>
> The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin that
> faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner skin to
> give me a solid 9" wall.
>
> Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face will
> be covered by a hedge once it's grown.

Yes. I will add some extra points - its nice if the top few courses are
all brick, and if it is a wall unless you go for house quality
foundations tie the thing together with steel in the courses somehow

> Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?

yes.

--
“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<tKZQyVAQCYdiFwfy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51695&group=uk.d-i-y#51695

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 21:09:52 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 6 May 2022 20:09 UTC

In message <t53m6c$1ql$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the
>>garden, ti will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet
>>long by 6' high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or
>>7 terraced houses.
>> The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin
>>that faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner
>>skin to give me a solid 9" wall.
>> Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face
>>will be covered by a hedge once it's grown.
>
>Yes. I will add some extra points - its nice if the top few courses are
>all brick, and if it is a wall unless you go for house quality
>foundations tie the thing together with steel in the courses somehow
>
>> Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?
>>
>yes.

Nobody has yet mentioned stability weakness due to plastic damp
coursing.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<t559np$1a01$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51749&group=uk.d-i-y#51749

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 09:13:44 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 7 May 2022 08:13 UTC

On 06/05/2022 21:09, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <t53m6c$1ql$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>  I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the
>>> garden, ti  will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet
>>> long by 6'  high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or
>>> 7 terraced  houses.
>>>  The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin
>>> that  faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner
>>> skin to  give me a solid 9" wall.
>>>  Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face
>>> will  be covered by a hedge once it's grown.
>>
>> Yes. I will add some extra points - its nice if the top few courses
>> are all brick, and if it is a wall unless you go for house quality
>> foundations tie the thing together with steel in the courses somehow
>>
>>>  Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?
>>>
>> yes.
>
> Nobody has yet mentioned stability weakness due to plastic damp coursing.

Why would a free-standing garden wall need a DPC ?.
Even if it did, I would use some old slates as a DPC. Mortar
will adhere to that.

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<t55djs$dto$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51756&group=uk.d-i-y#51756

From: Bev...@invalid.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 09:19:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Sat, 7 May 2022 09:19 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 12:29:24 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> On 06/05/2022 in message <t52s05$ro9$1@dont-email.me> Bev wrote:
>
>>and as the OP has said it abuts a path and can get some knocks then I'd
>>be much happier with piers. The extra cost will be far less than a
>>personal injury claim should the wall fall on anyone and insurers may be
>>very reluctant to cover any claim.
>
> I have piers on the 4" wall along the side of the garden but can't see
> why a 9" wall would need piers.

Its your choice and your money. You don't have to listen to other views.

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<t55dmc$et2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51758&group=uk.d-i-y#51758

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 10:21:16 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 7 May 2022 09:21 UTC

On 06/05/2022 21:09, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <t53m6c$1ql$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 05/05/2022 22:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>  I am planning to have a wall constructed at the bottom of the
>>> garden, ti  will replace a 2 metre wooden fence and be about 27 feet
>>> long by 6'  high. It abuts a private shared path servicing about 6 or
>>> 7 terraced  houses.
>>>  The builder who is quoting has said it will be cheaper if the skin
>>> that  faces the outside world is brick with a concrete block inner
>>> skin to  give me a solid 9" wall.
>>>  Does this sound a reasonable method of construction? The inner face
>>> will  be covered by a hedge once it's grown.
>>
>> Yes. I will add some extra points - its nice if the top few courses
>> are all brick, and if it is a wall unless you go for house quality
>> foundations tie the thing together with steel in the courses somehow
>>
>>>  Will I need a brandy before I read the quote?
>>>
>> yes.
>
> Nobody has yet mentioned stability weakness due to plastic damp coursing.

Why would you use damp coursing in a garden wall?

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<xn0nhky9c2y5j9m00b@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51766&group=uk.d-i-y#51766

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 7 May 2022 09:59:34 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 7 May 2022 09:59 UTC

On 07/05/2022 in message <t55djs$dto$1@dont-email.me> Bev wrote:

>On Fri, 06 May 2022 12:29:24 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>On 06/05/2022 in message <t52s05$ro9$1@dont-email.me> Bev wrote:
>>
>>>and as the OP has said it abuts a path and can get some knocks then I'd
>>>be much happier with piers. The extra cost will be far less than a
>>>personal injury claim should the wall fall on anyone and insurers may be
>>>very reluctant to cover any claim.
>>
>>I have piers on the 4" wall along the side of the garden but can't see
>>why a 9" wall would need piers.
>
>Its your choice and your money. You don't have to listen to other views.

But I would be interested to know why people feel piers are needed on a 9"
wall.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

Re: Garden Wall Construction

<zU531JISbkdiFw8b@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51770&group=uk.d-i-y#51770

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 11:15:46 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 7 May 2022 10:15 UTC

In message <t55dmc$et2$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 06/05/2022 21:09, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <t53m6c$1ql$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>><tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> Yes. I will add some extra points - its nice if the top few courses
>>>are all brick, and if it is a wall unless you go for house quality
>>>foundations tie the thing together with steel in the courses somehow

>>> yes.
>> Nobody has yet mentioned stability weakness due to plastic damp
>>coursing.
>>>

>Why would you use damp coursing in a garden wall?

I don't know. I have never needed to build one. I suppose one might
need to consider efflorescence from wicked up moisture.

We once looked over a house some friends were considering purchasing.
The garden access was by a gate set in a single brick wall. On leaving,
I had to force the gate shut and realised the wall was only being kept
upright by the gate post!

--
Tim Lamb