Once, adv.: Enough. -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

SubjectAuthor
* Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
+- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?mm0fmf
|`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
| +- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?R D S
| `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?williamwright
|  `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
|   `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?williamwright
+- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Roger Mills
+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Tim+
|+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Colin Bignell
||`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Tim+
|| +* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Colin Bignell
|| |`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Tim+
|| | `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
|| `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?The Natural Philosopher
||  `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Richard
|+- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Jock
|`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
| `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Paul
|  +- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Jock
|  +- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?alan_m
|  `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?John Rumm
+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Richard
|+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
||+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Richard
|||`- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
||`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?williamwright
|| +* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
|| |`- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?williamwright
|| `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Rod Speed
|`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
| `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Richard
|  `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
|   `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Richard
+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Robin
|+- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Jock
|`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
| `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Steve Walker
+- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Dave Plowman (News)
+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?JNugent
|+* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
||`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?JNugent
|| `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW
||  +- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Tim Streater
||  +* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?JNugent
||  |`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Richard
||  | `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?JNugent
||  `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Robin
|+- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Dave Plowman (News)
|`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Rod Speed
| `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?JNugent
|  `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Rod Speed
|   `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?JNugent
|    `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Rod Speed
|     `* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?JNugent
|      +* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Tim+
|      |`- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?JNugent
|      `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Rod Speed
`* Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Vir Campestris
 +- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?Jock
 `- Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?ARW

Pages:123
Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<t4mb99$19uq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50982&group=uk.d-i-y#50982

From: smith...@btinternet.com.invalid (Richard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 17:08:09 +0100
 by: Richard - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:08 UTC

On 01/05/2022 15:21, ARW wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 12:03, Richard wrote:

>>> When I has my ladder fall and broke three ribs she hit the kerb twice
>>> on the way to A&E.
>>>
>>> One of them on a left turn and she clipped the back wheel. That hurt
>>> when the car landed back on the ground.
>>
>> Oooohh. You really should've remembered the 'safe' word.
>

> And the argument before we got to A&E because I made her stop off at the
> cafe so I could have a full English.

Note to self: Do not argue with a dominatrix whilst up a ladder before
breakfast.

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<op.1lhzrpr2byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50986&group=uk.d-i-y#50986

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 02:22:27 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:22 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote
>>> ARW wrote

>>> Missing data:

>> Nope.

>>> how many mpg in "her car"?

>> That can be calculated from her cost of the trip in her car, stupid.

> Given that the overall cost of the journey was quoted, what do you say
> was the point in providing the price per litre of petrol?

Irrelevant to whether there was any MISSING data.

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<jd7snhFcmaiU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50991&group=uk.d-i-y#50991

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 18:01:37 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:01 UTC

On 01/05/2022 05:22 pm, Rod Speed wrote:

> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote

>>>  Nope.

>>>  That can be calculated from her cost of the trip in her car, stupid.

>> Given that the overall cost of the journey was quoted, what do you say
>> was the point in providing the price per litre of petrol?

> Irrelevant to whether there was any MISSING data.

You are over-thinking this.

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<op.1lh3hsx7byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=50997&group=uk.d-i-y#50997

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 03:42:54 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:42 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Given that the overall cost of the journey was quoted, what do you say
>>> was the point in providing the price per litre of petrol?

>> Irrelevant to whether there was any MISSING data.

> You are over-thinking this.

Nope, rubbing your nose in your error, again.

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<jd84odFe9ekU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51018&group=uk.d-i-y#51018

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:18:37 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:18 UTC

On 01/05/2022 06:42 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote

>>> Irrelevant to whether there was any MISSING data.
>
>> You are over-thinking this.
>
> Nope, rubbing your nose in your error, again.

<sigh>

Have you READ the thread?

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<t4mnek$ij$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51022&group=uk.d-i-y#51022

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:35:49 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:35 UTC

On 01/05/2022 09:52, ARW wrote:
> On 30/04/2022 08:27, Robin wrote:
>

>> insurance - significant increase in your mileage/decrease in hers
>> [point to watch on hers given it's a new job?; /possibly/ even issue
>> about who is main driver?]
>
> There is always someone who posts a really good reply to my vague and
> random posts.
>
> Lou is probably going to have to change her insurance to business use.
>
> I assume that would mean I have to alter mine if she uses it for the
> business as she is a named driver.
>
> I'll still be the main driver of my car if that is defined by "I do more
> miles PA in it than she does".

I have found that for my and my wife's cars, adding business use to both
made almost no difference to the premiums, while adding it to my kit
car, for the occasional sunny day commute, cost nothing at all.

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<1485541810.673126482.165913.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51023&group=uk.d-i-y#51023

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 1 May 2022 19:37:02 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:37 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 06:42 pm, Rod Speed wrote:

>> Nope, rubbing your nose in your error, again.
>
> <sigh>
>
> Have you READ the thread?

FFS, you’re arguing with a troll. What’s your excuse for such idiocy?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<op.1liebvjgbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51031&group=uk.d-i-y#51031

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 07:36:57 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 1 May 2022 21:36 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> You are over-thinking this.

>> Nope, rubbing your nose in your error, again.

> <sigh>

Heavy breathing won't save your bacon, boy,

> Have you READ the thread?

Yep,

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<jd8p7tFi0f3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51040&group=uk.d-i-y#51040

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 02:08:14 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 2 May 2022 01:08 UTC

On 01/05/2022 08:37 pm, Tim+ wrote:

> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> On 01/05/2022 06:42 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>
>>> Nope, rubbing your nose in your error, again.
>
>> <sigh>
>
>> Have you READ the thread?
>
> FFS, you’re arguing with a troll. What’s your excuse for such idiocy?
>
> Tim

Point taken.

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<t540gd$g6b$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51697&group=uk.d-i-y#51697

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 21:30:05 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Fri, 6 May 2022 20:30 UTC

On 29/04/2022 19:37, ARW wrote:
> So based on £1.59/L for unleaded on her car a and £1.72/L diesel for my
> car that does 65MPG when she drives it which is the cheapest car to use
> for Lou to get to work and back?

It will depend on how much you use them.

There are fixed service costs every 12 months/12000 miles, or something
like that.

If you can get the two to match you'll be minimising those costs.

Don't forget the cost of tyres, and most of all depreciation.

Andy

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<op.1lrrn01yc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51713&group=uk.d-i-y#51713

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 09:03:26 +1000
 by: Jock - Fri, 6 May 2022 23:03 UTC

On Sat, 07 May 2022 06:30:05 +1000, Vir Campestris
<vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 29/04/2022 19:37, ARW wrote:
>> So based on £1.59/L for unleaded on her car a and £1.72/L diesel for my
>> car that does 65MPG when she drives it which is the cheapest car to use
>> for Lou to get to work and back?
>
> It will depend on how much you use them.
>
> There are fixed service costs every 12 months/12000 miles, or something
> like that.
>
> If you can get the two to match you'll be minimising those costs.
>
> Don't forget the cost of tyres,

> and most of all depreciation.

Given that they don't buy new and he only drives the
work van into walls, they have in fact appreciated.

Re: Cost of travel to work - which car to use?

<t56abs$b7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51806&group=uk.d-i-y#51806

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 18:30:44 +0100
 by: ARW - Sat, 7 May 2022 17:30 UTC

On 06/05/2022 21:30, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 19:37, ARW wrote:
>> So based on £1.59/L for unleaded on her car a and £1.72/L diesel for
>> my car that does 65MPG when she drives it which is the cheapest car to
>> use for Lou to get to work and back?
>
> It will depend on how much you use them.
>
> There are fixed service costs every 12 months/12000 miles, or something
> like that.
>
> If you can get the two to match you'll be minimising those costs.
>
> Don't forget the cost of tyres, and most of all depreciation.

Last used mine on 16th April.

No idea when I will next use it.

Probably worth about £2K. Might as well run it into the ground. It's not
done bad for repairs. It was only £60 for two new back springs.