No yak too dirty; no dumpster too hollow.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

SubjectAuthor
* if Scomo were a car mechanicThe Stig
`* if Scomo were a car mechanicClocky
 `* if Scomo were a car mechanicXeno
  `* if Scomo were a car mechanicYosemite Sam
   `* if Scomo were a car mechanicTrevor Wilson
    +* if Scomo were a car mechanicClocky
    |`* if Scomo were a car mechanicYosemite Sam
    | `- if Scomo were a car mechanicYosemite Sam
    +* if Scomo were a car mechanicNoddy
    |`* if Scomo were a car mechanicalvey
    | +* if Scomo were a car mechanicClocky
    | |+* if Scomo were a car mechanicalvey
    | ||`- if Scomo were a car mechanicXeno
    | |`- if Scomo were a car mechanicXeno
    | `- if Scomo were a car mechanicXeno
    `- if Scomo were a car mechanicXeno

1
if Scomo were a car mechanic

<shkqd2$i2i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5147&group=aus.cars#5147

From: hoa...@fl.gov (The Stig)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: if Scomo were a car mechanic
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:04:49 +0800
 by: The Stig - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 12:04 UTC

Hey I couldn't order any brake pads, but I greased the door hinges so
they open up faster!

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<shmivf$ll0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5159&group=aus.cars#5159

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 12:10:24 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 04:10 UTC

On 12/09/2021 8:04 pm, The Stig wrote:
> Hey I couldn't order any brake pads, but I greased the door hinges so
> they open up faster!

Incompetent or not, if Slomo was a car mechanic he'd still be one up on
the fraud!

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iq8ioqFhrlnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5163&group=aus.cars#5163

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:08:38 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 09:08 UTC

On 13/9/21 2:10 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 12/09/2021 8:04 pm, The Stig wrote:
>> Hey I couldn't order any brake pads, but I greased the door hinges so
>> they open up faster!
>
> Incompetent or not, if Slomo was a car mechanic he'd still be one up on
> the fraud!

Well, we "know" Darren is incompetent, Les' engine is the proof of that
and that little escapade doesn't say much for Daryl's *competence* either.

Back on the 9th, Darren made these comments;

On 9/9/21 12:17 pm, Noddy wrote:
> You were very lucky. Blue and Black Holden engines were
> notoriously unreliable and well known for their relatively
> short life spans. When I was an automotive machinist in a former
> life for Repco the workshop was right next door to Alan Mance
> motors who were a Holden dealer. We used to do all their warranty
> machine work, and there was a *hell* of a lot of it. Especially
> on Blue Holden V8 engines that would be worn to the point of
> having poor compression by as little as 60k km's.

The lies start very early on with his extremely fraudulent claim to
being an auto machinist. A Holden *blue* V8 worn out by as little as 60k
klms? I call bullshit on that claim since the red block and blue block
V8s were the same casting, the difference being in the heads and other
bolt-on ancilliaries like the manifold, 4 barrel Quadrajet, ignition
system. These ancilliaries were *more efficient* and the blue block was
the recommended start point for performance mods. Poor compression by
60k klms? Bullshit! The *block* is the same.

Darren followed up that laughable bit of bullshit with this;

On 9/9/21 12:17 pm, Noddy wrote:
> The pinking (or pinging as it's more commonly known in Australia
> was probably due to the fact that they gave the engine a massive
> overbore which raised the compression ratio considerably. I've not
> heard of Higginbottom, but if they were anything like Gem or
> Goldstar it used to be common practice back in the day to bore all
> their engines straight to a 1/8th inch oversize. Their logic behind
> that ridiculous practice was that it sped up the process as engines
> didn't need to be inspected after they were dismantled and where all
> just cut to the one massive oversize. The disadvantage was for the
> customer, as being a thin-wall block Holden engines didn't like
> having half their cylinder wall thickness cut out and they suffered
> horribly from bore distortion, ring flutter and overheat issues.
>
> Your fuel economy and random stalling problems were tuning issues.

A massive overbore? I call bullshit on that. All the engine
reconditioners out there at the time used standard overbore sizes. These
were;
first overbore size = +020",
second overbore size = +040",
third overbore size = +060"

The reason they use those steps is that 020" is half a millimetre so it
is *convenient*.
The allowance for bore taper back in those days was 009"-010". It's
obvious to all but the unknowing that a 010" rebore wasn't on the cards
except on an engine that was *well under* that level of taper. So, No,
010" was never a rebore option for reconditioners. But then, neither was
080" because that would have meant a very thin cylinder wall. What's
more, if the cylinder casting was even the slightest bit misaligned from
core shift during casting, the likelihood of breaking through the
cylinder wall was very high. Even with a 060" overbore, it was
definitely recommended that a sonic wall thickness test be carried out
before boring. Some Chev 350 blocks with moderate core shift couldn't be
bored more than +030" before cylinder wall thickness was compromised.

The way H&M Engines operated was they would wait until they had a heap
of common engines - like the I6 Holdens, for instance. Then they would
strip all engines and measure the blocks. Anything that would clean up
at +020" would go into one pile, anything that wouldn't clean up at that
would be put into the +040" pile. For some engines there *might* be a
+060" pile, for blocks known to have issues there wouldn't be a +060"
pile. They didn't have a +080" pile, they would only be done as special
order, onus on owner, and not as part of the normal exchange engine
rebuilding process. Gem, Goldstar and all the other major engine
reconditioners operated in much the same way.

Common practice to bore *all* the engines straight to 1/8" oversize? I
call bullshit on that since 1/8th of an inch is 0.125". Not many engines
will handle that, especially on later engine blocks where weight saving
became an issue with castings leaving a lot less leeway for the boring
bar to do its stuff. They'd get bore distortion all right, especially
when the boring bar cutter broke through the cylinder wall. Hell, I6
Holden engines would be lucky to get to +080" and will have possible
overheating issues at +060" overbore

If ever anyone needed proof that Darren was never a machinist, you have
it right there in the post cited above. He has no idea of the system
employed in engine reconditioning companies, especially the large ones
like Repco, yet he *claims* he was an apprentice auto machinist at
Repco. I used to share a staffroom with 6 auto machinists including one
who was foreman at the Footscray workshop where *and when* Darren claims
he was an apprentice with Repco. It's a small world and, for Darren, a
tad too small. ;-) Such a pity Repco sent all their auto machining
apprentices to Richmond TAFE. I really must have that *catch-up* with
Darren's former boss when next I manage to get myself down to Melbourne.
Certainly I've missed the past couple of staff past and present annual
gatherings.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iq94hoFl7foU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5167&group=aus.cars#5167

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 00:14:57 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 14:14 UTC

On 13/09/2021 7:08 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 13/9/21 2:10 pm, Clocky wrote:
>> On 12/09/2021 8:04 pm, The Stig wrote:
>>> Hey I couldn't order any brake pads, but I greased the door hinges
>>> so they open up faster!
>>
>> Incompetent or not, if Slomo was a car mechanic he'd still be one up
>> on the fraud!
>

> Well, we "know" Darren is incompetent, Les' engine is the proof of
> that and that little escapade doesn't say much for Daryl's
> *competence* either.
>
> Back on the 9th, Darren made these comments;
>
> On 9/9/21 12:17 pm, Noddy wrote:
> > You were very lucky. Blue and Black Holden engines were
> > notoriously unreliable and well known for their relatively
> > short life spans. When I was an automotive machinist in a former
> > life for Repco the workshop was right next door to Alan Mance
> > motors who were a Holden dealer. We used to do all their warranty
> > machine work, and there was a *hell* of a lot of it. Especially
> > on Blue Holden V8 engines that would be worn to the point of
> > having poor compression by as little as 60k km's.
>
> The lies start very early on with his extremely fraudulent claim to
> being an auto machinist. A Holden *blue* V8 worn out by as little as
> 60k klms? I call bullshit on that claim since the red block and blue
> block V8s were the same casting, the difference being in the heads and
> other bolt-on ancilliaries like the manifold, 4 barrel Quadrajet,
> ignition system. These ancilliaries were *more efficient* and the blue
> block was the recommended start point for performance mods. Poor
> compression by 60k klms? Bullshit! The *block* is the same.

V8 engines typically have longevity. I can't imagine ANY needing
reconditioning at 60 klms, only 37 miles!

> [...]
> and will have possible overheating issues at +060" overbore
>
> If ever anyone needed proof that Darren was never a machinist, you
> have it right there in the post cited above. He has no idea of the
> system employed in engine reconditioning companies, especially the
> large ones like Repco, yet he *claims* he was an apprentice auto
> machinist at Repco. I used to share a staffroom with 6 auto machinists
> including one who was foreman at the Footscray workshop where *and
> when* Darren claims he was an apprentice with Repco. It's a small
> world and, for Darren, a tad too small.  ;-) Such a pity Repco sent
> all their auto machining apprentices to Richmond TAFE. I really must
> have that *catch-up* with Darren's former boss when next I manage to
> get myself down to Melbourne. Certainly I've missed the past couple of
> staff past and present annual gatherings.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iq9rk4FpinsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5168&group=aus.cars#5168

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 06:45:58 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 20:45 UTC

On 14/09/2021 12:14 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 13/09/2021 7:08 pm, Xeno wrote:
>>>
>>> Incompetent or not, if Slomo was a car mechanic he'd still be one up
>>> on the fraud!
>>

>> Well, we "know" Darren is incompetent, Les' engine is the proof of
>> that and that little escapade doesn't say much for Daryl's
>> *competence* either.
>>
>> Back on the 9th, Darren made these comments;
>>
>> On 9/9/21 12:17 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> > You were very lucky. Blue and Black Holden engines were
>> > notoriously unreliable and well known for their relatively
>> > short life spans. When I was an automotive machinist in a former
>> > life for Repco the workshop was right next door to Alan Mance
>> > motors who were a Holden dealer. We used to do all their warranty
>> > machine work, and there was a *hell* of a lot of it. Especially
>> > on Blue Holden V8 engines that would be worn to the point of
>> > having poor compression by as little as 60k km's.
>>
>> The lies start very early on with his extremely fraudulent claim to
>> being an auto machinist. A Holden *blue* V8 worn out by as little as
>> 60k klms? I call bullshit on that claim since the red block and blue
>> block V8s were the same casting, the difference being in the heads and
>> other bolt-on ancilliaries like the manifold, 4 barrel Quadrajet,
>> ignition system. These ancilliaries were *more efficient* and the blue
>> block was the recommended start point for performance mods. Poor
>> compression by 60k klms? Bullshit! The *block* is the same.
>

> V8 engines typically have longevity. I can't imagine ANY needing
> reconditioning at 60 klms, only 37 miles!

**60k klms = 60,000 km

You missed the 'k'.

A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
catastrophically at 90,000 km.

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<shol5l$1ah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5170&group=aus.cars#5170

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 07:00:06 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 23:00 UTC

On 14/09/2021 4:45 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 12:14 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> Well, we "know" Darren is incompetent, Les' engine is the proof of
>>> that and that little escapade doesn't say much for Daryl's
>>> *competence* either.
>>>
>>> Back on the 9th, Darren made these comments;

>>> The lies start very early on with his extremely fraudulent claim to
>>> being an auto machinist. A Holden *blue* V8 worn out by as little as
>>> 60k klms? I call bullshit on that claim since the red block and blue
>>> block V8s were the same casting, the difference being in the heads
>>> and other bolt-on ancilliaries like the manifold, 4 barrel Quadrajet,
>>> ignition system. These ancilliaries were *more efficient* and the
>>> blue block was the recommended start point for performance mods. Poor
>>> compression by 60k klms? Bullshit! The *block* is the same.
>>

>> V8 engines typically have longevity. I can't imagine ANY needing
>> reconditioning at 60 klms, only 37 miles!
>>

> **60k klms = 60,000 km
>
> You missed the 'k'.

He meant 60000 kms and 37000 miles I'm sure. In any event, the fraud
doesn't know what he is talking about and is making this shit up as he
goes. The blue motor V8 had good longevity. If you know nothing about
cars you might get sucked into his bullshit but he's not fooling
qualified people with trade experience. Obviously. Note not one of his
numbnut mates has any trade experience. Daryl was such a good mechanic
that he became a warranty clerk and left that job to become a dunny
brush! The fraud gives him plenty to help flush in here!

> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
> catastrophically at 90,000 km.

That's why Mercs have no resale value ;-) You just never know!
Should have been fixed under warranty though, even if out of warranty
(within reason).

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<sholcn$3cm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5172&group=aus.cars#5172

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:03:47 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 23:03 UTC

On 14/09/2021 6:45 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 12:14 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>> V8 engines typically have longevity. I can't imagine ANY needing
>> reconditioning at 60 klms, only 37 miles!
>>

> **60k klms = 60,000 km
>
> You missed the 'k'.

Felix isn't all that bright. He'd miss it if it was tattooed into his
forehead and he had to look at it in the mirror every morning.

> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
> catastrophically at 90,000 km.

A catastrophic failure is different to what I'm talking about, which is
engines being worn out to the point of needing to be reconditioned at
mileages as low as 60 thousand km's.

The problem with a lot of Australian manufactured stuff during the
1980's was the quality of the cast iron used in it's manufacture. It got
"cheap" for whatever reason, and it affected all of the engines made by
Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi. I don't know if that was because they used
different materials or because they all had a change in their
manufacturing processes, but what I *can* tell you is that it was as
soft as butter and had little wear resistance compared to older stuff
and where you noticed it was in the machine shop.

For example, when setting up to bore a V8 engine block you would "point"
your cutting tool to put a sharp cutting edge on it, and then usually
with a decent quality engine block you would pull the tool out after
each cylinder had been cut and just give it a quick touch up on the
diamond dresser to maintain the edge so the bore finish could be keep
smooth enough to clean up with as little honing as possible.

But not with Blue motor blocks :)

With those, they were soft enough that you could bore all 8 cylinders
without ever having to dress the tool. Black Cleveland engines were the
same, and so were Magna engines. The quality of the cast iron was
appallingly bad, and a large number of them were sleeve jobs.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iqa5hbFrcsoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5174&group=aus.cars#5174

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:38:01 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 23:38 UTC

On 14/09/2021 9:00 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 4:45 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> V8 engines typically have longevity. I can't imagine ANY needing
>>> reconditioning at 60 klms, only 37 miles!
>>>

>> **60k klms = 60,000 km
>>
>> You missed the 'k'.
>>

> He meant 60000 kms and 37000 miles I'm sure.

yes brain and fingers not in sync. it's what was in my mind. i wasn't
suggesting an engine needs reconditioning at under 100k, lol.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iqa61kFrfckU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5175&group=aus.cars#5175

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:46:43 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 23:46 UTC

On 14/09/2021 9:38 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 9:00 am, Clocky wrote:

>>> **60k klms = 60,000 km
>>>
>>> You missed the 'k'.
>>>

>> He meant 60000 kms and 37000 miles I'm sure.
>

> yes brain and fingers not in sync. it's what was in my mind. i wasn't
> suggesting an engine needs reconditioning at under 100k, lol.

still typing it wrong!  "reconditioning at under 100 klm"

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<za5n8wx8xsn1$.1vg000yprpa99.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5176&group=aus.cars#5176

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:49:47 +1000
 by: alvey - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 23:49 UTC

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:03:47 +1000, Noddy wrote:

> On 14/09/2021 6:45 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 14/09/2021 12:14 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>

>>> V8 engines typically have longevity. I can't imagine ANY needing
>>> reconditioning at 60 klms, only 37 miles!
>>>

>> **60k klms = 60,000 km
>>
>> You missed the 'k'.
>
> Felix isn't all that bright. He'd miss it if it was tattooed into his
> forehead and he had to look at it in the mirror every morning.
>
>> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
>> catastrophically at 90,000 km.
>
> A catastrophic failure is different to what I'm talking about, which is
> engines being worn out to the point of needing to be reconditioned at
> mileages as low as 60 thousand km's.
>
> The problem with a lot of Australian manufactured stuff during the
> 1980's was the quality of the cast iron used in it's manufacture. It got
> "cheap" for whatever reason, and it affected all of the engines made by
> Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi. I don't know if that was because they used
> different materials or because they all had a change in their
> manufacturing processes, but what I *can* tell you is that it was as
> soft as butter and had little wear resistance compared to older stuff
> and where you noticed it was in the machine shop.
>
> For example, when setting up to bore a V8 engine block you would "point"
> your cutting tool to put a sharp cutting edge on it, and then usually
> with a decent quality engine block you would pull the tool out after
> each cylinder had been cut and just give it a quick touch up on the
> diamond dresser to maintain the edge so the bore finish could be keep
> smooth enough to clean up with as little honing as possible.
>
> But not with Blue motor blocks :)
>
> With those, they were soft enough that you could bore all 8 cylinders
> without ever having to dress the tool. Black Cleveland engines were the
> same, and so were Magna engines. The quality of the cast iron was
> appallingly bad, and a large number of them were sleeve jobs.

For someone who hates teachers the Fraudster sure does love to lecture.

alvey

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<shop1m$lto$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5177&group=aus.cars#5177

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 08:06:15 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 00:06 UTC

On 14/09/2021 7:49 am, alvey wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:03:47 +1000, Noddy wrote:

>>> **60k klms = 60,000 km
>>>
>>> You missed the 'k'.
>>
>> Felix isn't all that bright. He'd miss it if it was tattooed into his
>> forehead and he had to look at it in the mirror every morning.
>>
>>> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
>>> catastrophically at 90,000 km.
>>
>> A catastrophic failure is different to what I'm talking about, which is
>> engines being worn out to the point of needing to be reconditioned at
>> mileages as low as 60 thousand km's.
>>
>> The problem with a lot of Australian manufactured stuff during the
>> 1980's was the quality of the cast iron used in it's manufacture. It got
>> "cheap" for whatever reason, and it affected all of the engines made by
>> Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi. I don't know if that was because they used
>> different materials or because they all had a change in their
>> manufacturing processes, but what I *can* tell you is that it was as
>> soft as butter and had little wear resistance compared to older stuff
>> and where you noticed it was in the machine shop.
>>
>> For example, when setting up to bore a V8 engine block you would "point"
>> your cutting tool to put a sharp cutting edge on it, and then usually
>> with a decent quality engine block you would pull the tool out after
>> each cylinder had been cut and just give it a quick touch up on the
>> diamond dresser to maintain the edge so the bore finish could be keep
>> smooth enough to clean up with as little honing as possible.
>>
>> But not with Blue motor blocks :)
>>
>> With those, they were soft enough that you could bore all 8 cylinders
>> without ever having to dress the tool. Black Cleveland engines were the
>> same, and so were Magna engines. The quality of the cast iron was
>> appallingly bad, and a large number of them were sleeve jobs.
>
> For someone who hates teachers the Fraudster sure does love to lecture.
>

> alvey

If only he knew what he was talking about :-)

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<19yn3huo4e99g$.geaf9jw7zatb.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5178&group=aus.cars#5178

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:58:55 +1000
 by: alvey - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 00:58 UTC

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 08:06:15 +0800, Clocky wrote:

> On 14/09/2021 7:49 am, alvey wrote:

>>> Felix isn't all that bright. He'd miss it if it was tattooed into his
>>> forehead and he had to look at it in the mirror every morning.

>>> A catastrophic failure is different to what I'm talking about, which is
>>> engines being worn out to the point of needing to be reconditioned at
>>> mileages as low as 60 thousand km's.
>>>
>>> The problem with a lot of Australian manufactured stuff during the
>>> 1980's was the quality of the cast iron used in it's manufacture. It got
>>> "cheap" for whatever reason, and it affected all of the engines made by
>>> Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi. I don't know if that was because they used
>>> different materials or because they all had a change in their
>>> manufacturing processes, but what I *can* tell you is that it was as
>>> soft as butter and had little wear resistance compared to older stuff
>>> and where you noticed it was in the machine shop.
>>>
>>> For example, when setting up to bore a V8 engine block you would "point"
>>> your cutting tool to put a sharp cutting edge on it, and then usually
>>> with a decent quality engine block you would pull the tool out after
>>> each cylinder had been cut and just give it a quick touch up on the
>>> diamond dresser to maintain the edge so the bore finish could be keep
>>> smooth enough to clean up with as little honing as possible.
>>>
>>> But not with Blue motor blocks :)
>>>
>>> With those, they were soft enough that you could bore all 8 cylinders
>>> without ever having to dress the tool. Black Cleveland engines were the
>>> same, and so were Magna engines. The quality of the cast iron was
>>> appallingly bad, and a large number of them were sleeve jobs.
>>
>> For someone who hates teachers the Fraudster sure does love to lecture.
>>
>> alvey
>>

> If only he knew what he was talking about :-)

History tells us that this is not going to happen...

alvey

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iqabbcFschpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5179&group=aus.cars#5179

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:14:18 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 01:14 UTC

On 14/9/21 6:45 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 12:14 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> Well, we "know" Darren is incompetent, Les' engine is the proof of
>>> that and that little escapade doesn't say much for Daryl's
>>> *competence* either.
>>>
>>> Back on the 9th, Darren made these comments;

>>> The lies start very early on with his extremely fraudulent claim to
>>> being an auto machinist. A Holden *blue* V8 worn out by as little as
>>> 60k klms? I call bullshit on that claim since the red block and blue
>>> block V8s were the same casting, the difference being in the heads
>>> and other bolt-on ancilliaries like the manifold, 4 barrel Quadrajet,
>>> ignition system. These ancilliaries were *more efficient* and the
>>> blue block was the recommended start point for performance mods. Poor
>>> compression by 60k klms? Bullshit! The *block* is the same.
>>

>> V8 engines typically have longevity. I can't imagine ANY needing
>> reconditioning at 60 klms, only 37 miles!
>>

> **60k klms = 60,000 km
>
> You missed the 'k'.
>
> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
> catastrophically at 90,000 km.

Failing catastrophically is way different to *needing reconditioning*.
Only need a timing belt to break to fail catastrophically. To have a
worn out bore in 60k klms, that's an entirely different kettle of fish
and, I might add, unheard of in the trade. I made the point where the
blocks were identical to the previous reds and they were known as *very
long lasting*.

The problem here is the intervention of the Noddy Bullshit. There's been
a lot of it splashing around over the years.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iqabu8FsfhtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5180&group=aus.cars#5180

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:24:23 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 01:24 UTC

On 14/9/21 9:49 am, alvey wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:03:47 +1000, Noddy wrote:

>>> **60k klms = 60,000 km
>>>
>>> You missed the 'k'.
>>
>> Felix isn't all that bright. He'd miss it if it was tattooed into his
>> forehead and he had to look at it in the mirror every morning.
>>
>>> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
>>> catastrophically at 90,000 km.
>>
>> A catastrophic failure is different to what I'm talking about, which is
>> engines being worn out to the point of needing to be reconditioned at
>> mileages as low as 60 thousand km's.
>>
>> The problem with a lot of Australian manufactured stuff during the
>> 1980's was the quality of the cast iron used in it's manufacture. It got
>> "cheap" for whatever reason, and it affected all of the engines made by
>> Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi. I don't know if that was because they used
>> different materials or because they all had a change in their
>> manufacturing processes, but what I *can* tell you is that it was as
>> soft as butter and had little wear resistance compared to older stuff
>> and where you noticed it was in the machine shop.
>>
>> For example, when setting up to bore a V8 engine block you would "point"
>> your cutting tool to put a sharp cutting edge on it, and then usually
>> with a decent quality engine block you would pull the tool out after
>> each cylinder had been cut and just give it a quick touch up on the
>> diamond dresser to maintain the edge so the bore finish could be keep
>> smooth enough to clean up with as little honing as possible.
>>
>> But not with Blue motor blocks :)
>>
>> With those, they were soft enough that you could bore all 8 cylinders
>> without ever having to dress the tool. Black Cleveland engines were the
>> same, and so were Magna engines. The quality of the cast iron was
>> appallingly bad, and a large number of them were sleeve jobs.
>
> For someone who hates teachers the Fraudster sure does love to lecture.
>

> alvey

Correction, the fraudster loves to bullshit.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iqaingFtmkpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5181&group=aus.cars#5181

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:20:13 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 03:20 UTC

On 14/9/21 10:58 am, alvey wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 08:06:15 +0800, Clocky wrote:

Which were the exact same block as the earlier red blocks. The only
difference was the *colour* they were painted with.

>>> For someone who hates teachers the Fraudster sure does love to lecture.
>>>
>>> alvey
>>>

>> If only he knew what he was talking about :-)
>
> History tells us that this is not going to happen...

Indeed. Learning is something the fraudster isn't Ok with. Alien
concept, maybe? Certainly *failure to learn* seems to be a *pattern*
throughout his entire life.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: if Scomo were a car mechanic

<iqaip6FtmkpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5182&group=aus.cars#5182

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:21:10 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 03:21 UTC

On 14/9/21 10:06 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 7:49 am, alvey wrote:

>>> Felix isn't all that bright. He'd miss it if it was tattooed into his
>>> forehead and he had to look at it in the mirror every morning.

>>> A catastrophic failure is different to what I'm talking about, which is
>>> engines being worn out to the point of needing to be reconditioned at
>>> mileages as low as 60 thousand km's.
>>>
>>> The problem with a lot of Australian manufactured stuff during the
>>> 1980's was the quality of the cast iron used in it's manufacture. It got
>>> "cheap" for whatever reason, and it affected all of the engines made by
>>> Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi. I don't know if that was because they used
>>> different materials or because they all had a change in their
>>> manufacturing processes, but what I *can* tell you is that it was as
>>> soft as butter and had little wear resistance compared to older stuff
>>> and where you noticed it was in the machine shop.
>>>
>>> For example, when setting up to bore a V8 engine block you would "point"
>>> your cutting tool to put a sharp cutting edge on it, and then usually
>>> with a decent quality engine block you would pull the tool out after
>>> each cylinder had been cut and just give it a quick touch up on the
>>> diamond dresser to maintain the edge so the bore finish could be keep
>>> smooth enough to clean up with as little honing as possible.
>>>
>>> But not with Blue motor blocks :)
>>>
>>> With those, they were soft enough that you could bore all 8 cylinders
>>> without ever having to dress the tool. Black Cleveland engines were the
>>> same, and so were Magna engines. The quality of the cast iron was
>>> appallingly bad, and a large number of them were sleeve jobs.
>>
>> For someone who hates teachers the Fraudster sure does love to lecture.
>>

>> alvey
>>

> If only he knew what he was talking about :-)

That would require a miracle. Do you believe in those?