People don't change; they only become more so.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

SubjectAuthor
* 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Steve Walker
|+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.NY
|`* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
| `* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Steve Walker
|  `- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.GB
+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.GB
|+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
||+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.GB
|||+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
|||+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.The Natural Philosopher
|||`* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Andrew
||| `- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
||`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
|+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
||+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Tim+
|||+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Graham Harrison
|||`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Andy Burns
||+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Theo
||`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.The Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Brian
| +* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.John Rumm
| |+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
| |+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Tim+
| |`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.The Other John
| `- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Richard
|`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.The Natural Philosopher
`* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
 +* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.GB
 |`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Richard
 `- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock

Pages:12
2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t56dbj$a2j$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51819&group=uk.d-i-y#51819

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 18:21:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sat, 7 May 2022 18:21 UTC

Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that.

Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
same way.

Folk are free to guess the make ...

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t56f2j$h5d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51822&group=uk.d-i-y#51822

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 19:50:59 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Sat, 7 May 2022 18:50 UTC

On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that.
>
> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
> same way.
>
> Folk are free to guess the make ...

If it's anything like ours, it may be a very simple failure. Ours was
bought second hand and was about 10 months old (people had moved house
and were going to put an integrated one in instead).

We'd only had it just over a week, when it stopped heating. A quick look
showed that there was a pressure switch that cut-off the heater if the
pump was not delivering. The (standard) microswitch in it had failed. It
was clearly meant to be replaced as a unit, but I managed to separate
the parts and put in one I had in a box in the garage. It has been fine
for over 3 years now.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t56fk4$kmq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51823&group=uk.d-i-y#51823

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 20:00:22 +0100
 by: GB - Sat, 7 May 2022 19:00 UTC

On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that.
>
> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
> same way.
>
> Folk are free to guess the make ...

We have found Bosch very good.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<op.1ltb3gkjc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51825&group=uk.d-i-y#51825

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 05:22:18 +1000
 by: Jock - Sat, 7 May 2022 19:22 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 05:00:22 +1000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
wrote:

> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>> that.
>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>> same way.
>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>

> We have found Bosch very good.

Me too but the current ones have an integrated pump and heater
so if that fails you need a whole new one and that costs more than
a brand new Bosch dishwasher. Barking mad.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t56kti$tp3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51826&group=uk.d-i-y#51826

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 21:30:42 +0100
 by: GB - Sat, 7 May 2022 20:30 UTC

On 07/05/2022 20:22, Jock wrote:
> On Sun, 08 May 2022 05:00:22 +1000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>>> that.
>>>  Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>>> same way.
>>>  Folk are free to guess the make ...
>>

>> We have found Bosch very good.
>
> Me too but the current ones have an integrated pump and heater
> so if that fails you need a whole new one and that costs more than
> a brand new Bosch dishwasher. Barking mad.

Would there be money in buying new dishwashers and breaking them for
parts? :)

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t56laf$25i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51828&group=uk.d-i-y#51828

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 21:37:09 +0100
 by: NY - Sat, 7 May 2022 20:37 UTC

"Steve Walker" <steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote in message
> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that.
>>
>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>> same way.
>>
>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>
> If it's anything like ours, it may be a very simple failure. Ours was
> bought second hand and was about 10 months old (people had moved house and
> were going to put an integrated one in instead).
>
> We'd only had it just over a week, when it stopped heating. A quick look
> showed that there was a pressure switch that cut-off the heater if the
> pump was not delivering. The (standard) microswitch in it had failed. It
> was clearly meant to be replaced as a unit, but I managed to separate the
> parts and put in one I had in a box in the garage. It has been fine for
> over 3 years now.

Lifetimes of domestic appliances seem to vary enormously. We bought a new
freezer to replace the one that was left in the house when we bought it (the
house) and which had stopped auto-defrosting. The new freezer lasted about 4
months before it began running continuously and never getting down to
temperature. Getting this fixed/replaced was a comedy of errors: the first
engineer diagnosed a faulty thermostat and when the second engineer came to
fit it, he said "I really don't think that's what the problem is", and
immediately saw evidence that all the coolant had leaked out - which I'd
asked the first guy about ("no, it'll be a faulty 'stat" - but never
assume!). That was deemed to be unrepairable and was replaced under
warranty.

We've had other freezers of the same make which are still going after many
years' service. I imagine the one that failed was a manufacturing fault (or
damaged in transit). I'm not sure whether the guys that collected the old
freezer when there were delivering the new one were taking the old one
straight for disposal or whether it was going to be given a post-mortem to
work out why it had failed so soon.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<op.1ltme3b0c5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51832&group=uk.d-i-y#51832

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 09:05:17 +1000
 by: Jock - Sat, 7 May 2022 23:05 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 06:30:42 +1000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
wrote:

> On 07/05/2022 20:22, Jock wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 May 2022 05:00:22 +1000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> We have found Bosch very good.
>> Me too but the current ones have an integrated pump and heater
>> so if that fails you need a whole new one and that costs more than
>> a brand new Bosch dishwasher. Barking mad.
>

> Would there be money in buying new dishwashers and breaking them for
> parts? :)

Unlikely, the other parts that fail aren't that expensive.

God knows why Bosch price the pump/heater like that,
it can't be due to the stocking cost given that its used
in the current dishwashers.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t57vio$6ci$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51857&group=uk.d-i-y#51857

From: smith...@btinternet.com.invalid (Richard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:38:48 +0100
 by: Richard - Sun, 8 May 2022 08:38 UTC

On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that.
>
> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
> same way.
>
> Folk are free to guess the make ...

Dyson do dishwashers?

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t57vk6$aat$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51859&group=uk.d-i-y#51859

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:39:34 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 8 May 2022 08:39 UTC

On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that.
>
> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
> same way.
>
> Folk are free to guess the make ...

Bosch?

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t57vn8$aat$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51860&group=uk.d-i-y#51860

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:41:12 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 8 May 2022 08:41 UTC

On 07/05/2022 21:30, GB wrote:
> On 07/05/2022 20:22, Jock wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 May 2022 05:00:22 +1000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> We have found Bosch very good.
>>
>> Me too but the current ones have an integrated pump and heater
>> so if that fails you need a whole new one and that costs more than
>> a brand new Bosch dishwasher. Barking mad.
>

> Would there be money in buying new dishwashers and breaking them for
> parts?  :)

The labour to repair a dishwasher usually exceeds the cost of a new one
even without the parts

--
“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t583h4$a2j$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51871&group=uk.d-i-y#51871

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:46:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 8 May 2022 09:46 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 05:22:18 +1000, Jock wrote:

> On Sun, 08 May 2022 05:00:22 +1000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>>> that.
>>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>>> same way.
>>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>>

>> We have found Bosch very good.
>
> Me too but the current ones have an integrated pump and heater so if
> that fails you need a whole new one and that costs more than a brand new
> Bosch dishwasher. Barking mad.

Proof - if it were needed - that any environmental catastrophe may have
been over-egged.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t583it$a2j$7@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51872&group=uk.d-i-y#51872

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:47:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 8 May 2022 09:47 UTC

On Sat, 07 May 2022 19:50:59 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> [quoted text muted]
>
> If it's anything like ours, it may be a very simple failure.

It may be. But after a month - twice in succession - that's for the
manufacturer to fix on their time and money. Not mine.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t583kt$a2j$8@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51873&group=uk.d-i-y#51873

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:48:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 8 May 2022 09:48 UTC

On Sat, 07 May 2022 20:00:22 +0100, GB wrote:

> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>> that.
>>
>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>> same way.
>>
>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>

> We have found Bosch very good.

These 2 were replacing a 10-year old Hotpoint that had started leaking.
The new seal *was part of the door* so nearly £100 for spares alone.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<jdpjabFoa5vU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51877&group=uk.d-i-y#51877

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 May 2022 10:11:23 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 8 May 2022 10:11 UTC

On 08/05/2022 10:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
>On Sat, 07 May 2022 20:00:22 +0100, GB wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>>> same way.
>>>
>>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>>

>> We have found Bosch very good.
>
>These 2 were replacing a 10-year old Hotpoint that had started leaking.
>The new seal *was part of the door* so nearly £100 for spares alone.

Our dishwasher (Fisher Paykel) has two drawers which means no seals required
(as each drawer is effectively a large tub). Happy to say that that after
15 years they have been utterly reliable. Stupidly expensive but I think
with hindsight not such a daft investment.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<cKk*RxENy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51878&group=uk.d-i-y#51878

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 08 May 2022 11:13:02 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 8 May 2022 10:13 UTC

Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
> These 2 were replacing a 10-year old Hotpoint that had started leaking.
> The new seal *was part of the door* so nearly £100 for spares alone.

Having looked after a fleet of Mieles in the past, that is not uncommon for
the spares cost. Somebody has been warehousing that spare for the last 10
(or in my Miele's case, 30) years, and they don't sell them in huge numbers,
so it has a cost. But then it's a matter of perspective - if the part was
for a Mercedes you might think that £100 was cheap at the price.

I agree they don't help themselves with their one-piece drums and suchlike -
these things are designed to be built fast in the factory, not repaired
later. It is very unfortunate that third-party appliance repair is
basically unaffordable for most people, once you put labour on top of that
£100 parts cost. But DIY is still relatively affordable if you can manage
it.

Theo

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58gam$2e7$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51898&group=uk.d-i-y#51898

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:24:38 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:24 UTC

On 08/05/2022 10:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2022 20:00:22 +0100, GB wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>>> same way.
>>>
>>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>>

>> We have found Bosch very good.
>
> These 2 were replacing a 10-year old Hotpoint that had started leaking.
> The new seal *was part of the door* so nearly £100 for spares alone.

Well I got a quote for a new seal on a Liebherr and that was over £100 *
without* the door!

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<gtgf7hdg1eeoscd6fbdno86t94cvnl14l1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51899&group=uk.d-i-y#51899

From: edward.h...@btinternet.com (Graham Harrison)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 14:25:13 +0100
 by: Graham Harrison - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:25 UTC

On 8 May 2022 10:11:23 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 08/05/2022 10:48, Jethro_uk wrote:

>>> We have found Bosch very good.
>>
>>These 2 were replacing a 10-year old Hotpoint that had started leaking.
>>The new seal *was part of the door* so nearly £100 for spares alone.
>
>Our dishwasher (Fisher Paykel) has two drawers which means no seals required
> (as each drawer is effectively a large tub). Happy to say that that after
> 15 years they have been utterly reliable. Stupidly expensive but I think
> with hindsight not such a daft investment.
>
>Tim

Our Miele dishwasher was 23 years old when it recently failed.
Engineer call out - £150.00. A new replacement £999.00 but if we
decided quickly the £150 call out was deducted. We took a (very) deep
breath and got a new one.

When I thought about it I realised that if the new one lasts as long
as the old it will have cost us about £50 per annum in "depreciation".
I can't remember how much the original cost but I'm guessing the
depreciation was about £25-30 per annum which I reckon isn't bad.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58h8l$a4j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51902&group=uk.d-i-y#51902

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:40:38 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:40 UTC

On 08/05/2022 14:25, Graham Harrison wrote:

> When I thought about it I realised that if the new one lasts as long
> as the old it will have cost us about £50 per annum in "depreciation".
> I can't remember how much the original cost but I'm guessing the
> depreciation was about £25-30 per annum which I reckon isn't bad.

Without doing a detailed analysis, I think that most of the cost per
wash is detergent, water, and energy.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58i9t$faq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51907&group=uk.d-i-y#51907

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:58:21 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:58 UTC

On 08/05/2022 10:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2022 19:50:59 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> [quoted text muted]
>>
>> If it's anything like ours, it may be a very simple failure.
>
> It may be. But after a month - twice in succession - that's for the
> manufacturer to fix on their time and money. Not mine.

Of course. But it may be a duff batch of components, rather than the
manufacturer's own fault.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58ihg$i0k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51909&group=uk.d-i-y#51909

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:02:26 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:02 UTC

On 08/05/2022 14:58, Steve Walker wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 10:47, Jethro_uk wrote:

>>> If it's anything like ours, it may be a very simple failure.
>>
>> It may be. But after a month - twice in succession - that's for the
>> manufacturer to fix on their time and money. Not mine.
>
> Of course. But it may be a duff batch of components, rather than the
> manufacturer's own fault.

There's a trade-off between the costs of testing all the components and
the cost of rectifying problems in the field. That latter cost includes
reputational damage, as I doubt the op is going to recommend this brand.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58ik4$jv6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51910&group=uk.d-i-y#51910

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:03:48 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:03 UTC

On 08/05/2022 14:25, Graham Harrison wrote:
> On 8 May 2022 10:11:23 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> These 2 were replacing a 10-year old Hotpoint that had started leaking.
>>> The new seal *was part of the door* so nearly £100 for spares alone.
>>
>> Our dishwasher (Fisher Paykel) has two drawers which means no seals required
>> (as each drawer is effectively a large tub). Happy to say that that after
>> 15 years they have been utterly reliable. Stupidly expensive but I think
>> with hindsight not such a daft investment.
>>
>> Tim
>
> Our Miele dishwasher was 23 years old when it recently failed.
> Engineer call out - £150.00. A new replacement £999.00 but if we
> decided quickly the £150 call out was deducted. We took a (very) deep
> breath and got a new one.
>
> When I thought about it I realised that if the new one lasts as long
> as the old it will have cost us about £50 per annum in "depreciation".
> I can't remember how much the original cost but I'm guessing the
> depreciation was about £25-30 per annum which I reckon isn't bad.

My only experience of Meile has been moving a dishwasher for my uncle
and aunt, which was so well built and heavy that it took four of us to
lift it and my parents having a second-hand Meile dishwasher at their
holiday home in France - built with simple stand alone timers and relays
rather than a microprocessor. I was very impressed to find the whole
circuit diagram glued to the removable cover and for it to note visits
made by a technician and amendments made to the diagram and circuitry by
him, to add another programme option!

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58jkd$a2j$12@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51915&group=uk.d-i-y#51915

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:21:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:21 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 09:38:48 +0100, Richard wrote:

> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>> that.
>>
>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>> same way.
>>
>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>
> Dyson do dishwashers?

I'm refraining from naming them (this time) as they may yet do the right
thing.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58jp4$a2j$13@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51917&group=uk.d-i-y#51917

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:23 UTC

On Sat, 07 May 2022 18:21:39 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
> that.
>
> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
> same way.
>
> Folk are free to guess the make ...

SWMBO has just remarked (and I am annoyed I never twigged) that both
times the first indication of a problem was when the waxy plug on the
dishwasher cleaner didn't melt properly. Which is how we know both times
the machine lasted a month.

Trying to reconcile correlation with causation here. Is it remotely
possible that using a Finish dishwasher cleaner pack managed to break the
machine so as to bork the heating element.

Or just an indication of the remarkably consistent lifetime of a
component ?

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58l0c$6ft$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51924&group=uk.d-i-y#51924

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:44:29 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:44 UTC

On 08/05/2022 15:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2022 18:21:39 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:
>
>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>> that.
>>
>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>> same way.
>>
>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>
> SWMBO has just remarked (and I am annoyed I never twigged) that both
> times the first indication of a problem was when the waxy plug on the
> dishwasher cleaner didn't melt properly. Which is how we know both times
> the machine lasted a month.
>
> Trying to reconcile correlation with causation here. Is it remotely
> possible that using a Finish dishwasher cleaner pack managed to break the
> machine so as to bork the heating element.
>
> Or just an indication of the remarkably consistent lifetime of a
> component ?

We use Finish dishwasher cleaner. Ahem, but what waxy plus is this?

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58mc3$h1a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51929&group=uk.d-i-y#51929

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:07:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Ds2uC6cxVg19fgB1YwxaDs1Nzlk=
 by: Brian - Sun, 8 May 2022 15:07 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that.
>>
>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>> same way.
>>
>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>

> We have found Bosch very good.

We look for white goods with a 5 year warranty. If it fails after that and
it isn’t simple / cheap to fix, we replace it.

Previously, we’ve had long lived washing machines - especially an Ariston (
I think 18 years, a few door seals and a door switch. I finally died after
a house move.) Others generally last 6 or 7 years.

The record goes to a Tricity microwave, over 20 years. 70p spent on O rings
to replace turntable drive belts and still working when we dumped it as it
was looking tatty in the new kitchen. The replacement died after a few
years.

Many washing machines use common main parts. I sometimes strip out bits of
dead ones and use them to extend the life of replacements.

We had a new kitchen fitted some time back - 15 years?. All except the
‘hood’ are / were AEG.

Dishwasher has been replaced twice, first a Bosch, now a SMEG.

Microwave / combi was all but rebuilt in the first year.

Fridge and Freezer door hinges replaced several times. Very expensive
parts.

Hob ( induction) is great. Only regret not getting 6 ring one rather than
4.

Around the same time, we bought a stand alone Samsung combi microwave as
well - that is excellent.