If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door. -- Paul Beatty

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action

SubjectAuthor
* Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...butswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...butTMS320
 +* Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...butJNugent
 |`- Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...butTMS320
 `* Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficieswldx...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram fairy-cyclist in shockingJNugent

1
Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action

<ae4ad5e4-958a-4719-a7bb-591a0c8881fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5129&group=uk.rec.cycling#5129

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 07:34:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but
"insufficient evidence" for police action
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:34 UTC

road.cc was sent this shocking footage by reader Greg over the weekend after it was confirmed that no police action would be taken against the driver.

Greg was cycling in Lewisham, south London, in November when he nearly collided with a driver using his phone behind the wheel of a Peugeot 107.

Challenging the driver on his actions, the cyclist shouted "get off your phone" before telling him to "pay attention to what you're doing".

In return the driver wound the window down to shout some expletives back, threatening to "knock you off your bike and smack your f****** head in", and proceeded to drive at the cyclist, pushing him towards the oncoming traffic.

Stopped at temporary traffic lights a few moments later Greg again challenged the driver, asking: "What was the point of that? You weren't paying attention."

At this point the driver interrupted to once again threaten Greg: "What would you do if I cut your throat? Is it worth it? I'll smash your f****** bike around your head."

Greg explained to us how he reported the incident to the Metropolitan Police, but "it was confirmed that no further action will be taken due to lack of evidence".

"It seems that you can nearly knock someone off their bike by not paying attention on their phones, ram them when their terrible driving is highlighted and then make threats to kill. Sadly we have to share the road with these people and have police who just don't care to follow them up."

The complaint was made as a traffic offence, but initially dealt with as a criminal offence by police, who subsequently judged there was insufficient evidence. Instead, the investigating officer decided it should be reported as a traffic offence.

By this point the online reporting service would not allow a new report more than 10 days after an incident, so Greg asked the officer to consider the footage as a collision — thus bypassing the time restriction.

"They said they would check but returned a call the next day to say the Lewisham traffic team reviewed it and there's not enough evidence to proceed," Greg explained. "It has now been left as the 14-day rule has timed it out."

https://road.cc/content/news/driver-tries-ram-cyclist-shocking-footage-289571

Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action

<ssdu0c$hp6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5170&group=uk.rec.cycling#5170

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
"insufficient evidence" for police action
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:22:19 +0000
 by: TMS320 - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:22 UTC

On 17/01/2022 15:34, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> road.cc was sent this shocking footage by reader Greg over the
> weekend after it was confirmed that no police action would be taken
> against the driver.
>
> Greg was cycling in Lewisham, south London, in November when he
> nearly collided with a driver using his phone behind the wheel of a
> Peugeot 107.

Hmmm... Bus at bus stop. Cyclist overtaking a driver obviously waiting
to overtake the bus. Predictable.

> Challenging the driver on his actions, the cyclist shouted "get off
> your phone" before telling him to "pay attention to what you're
> doing".

Probaby best to pay attention to the driver not paying attention and
either stay back or move properly into the next lane, out of the blind
spot to pass with a wide berth.

Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action

<j5004tFe6ttU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5173&group=uk.rec.cycling#5173

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
"insufficient evidence" for police action
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 15:00:47 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 15:00 UTC

On 21/01/2022 09:22 am, TMS320 wrote:

> On 17/01/2022 15:34, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> road.cc was sent this shocking footage by reader Greg over the
>> weekend after it was confirmed that no police action would be taken
>> against the driver.
>
>> Greg was cycling in Lewisham, south London, in November when he
>> nearly collided with a driver using his phone behind the wheel of a
>> Peugeot 107.

Whose fault was that? Or doesn't it matter?

> Hmmm... Bus at bus stop. Cyclist overtaking a driver obviously waiting
> to overtake the bus. Predictable.
>
>> Challenging the driver on his actions, the cyclist shouted "get off
>> your phone" before telling him to "pay attention to what you're
>> doing".
>
> Probaby best to pay attention to the driver not paying attention and
> either stay back or move properly into the next lane, out of the blind
> spot to pass with a wide berth.

Absolutely.

An ounce of prevention, better than a hundredweight of cure.

When approaching any spot where there is an obvious situational danger,
change speed and/or direction, or better still - STOP and assess properly.

It's served me well for fifty years.

Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action

<3d43967a-0f41-43dd-9bc3-4eb75c1a6eben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5174&group=uk.rec.cycling#5174

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:16:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:16 UTC

On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 9:22:22 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

> > Challenging the driver on his actions, the cyclist shouted "get off
> > your phone" before telling him to "pay attention to what you're
> > doing".
> Probaby best to pay attention to the driver not paying attention and
> either stay back or move properly into the next lane, out of the blind
> spot to pass with a wide berth.

If it was Cycling Mikey, the driver would have ended up in court. :-)

Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram fairy-cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action

<j5087oFfn5vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5175&group=uk.rec.cycling#5175

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram fairy-cyclist in shocking
footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:18:38 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:18 UTC

> On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 9:22:22 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
>
>>> Challenging the driver on his actions, the fairy-cyclist shouted "get off
>>> your phone" before telling him to "pay attention to what you're
>>> doing".

>> Probaby best to pay attention to the driver not paying attention and
>> either stay back or move properly into the next lane, out of the blind
>> spot to pass with a wide berth.
>
> If it was Fairy-Cycling Mikey, the driver would have ended up in court. :-)

Does Fairy-Cycling Mikey drive, then?

Re: Aggressive driver tries to ram cyclist in shocking footage...but "insufficient evidence" for police action

<ssgs1g$dpt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5188&group=uk.rec.cycling#5188

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
"insufficient evidence" for police action
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:07:11 +0000
 by: TMS320 - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:07 UTC

On 21/01/2022 15:00, JNugent wrote:
> On 21/01/2022 09:22 am, TMS320 wrote:
>> On 17/01/2022 15:34, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> road.cc was sent this shocking footage by reader Greg over the
>>> weekend after it was confirmed that no police action would be taken
>>> against the driver.
>>
>>> Greg was cycling in Lewisham, south London, in November when he
>>> nearly collided with a driver using his phone behind the wheel of a
>>> Peugeot 107.
>
> Whose fault was that? Or doesn't it matter?

I don't like mobile use, and it may have been a distraction but on
balance, the cyclist. Because he, presumably, has eyes in the front of
his head and had not gained possession of the lane.