Let us remember that ours is a nation of lawyers and order.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

SubjectAuthor
* 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Steve Walker
|+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.NY
|`* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
| `* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Steve Walker
|  `- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.GB
+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.GB
|+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
||+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.GB
|||+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
|||+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.The Natural Philosopher
|||`* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Andrew
||| `- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
||`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
|+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
||+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Tim+
|||+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Graham Harrison
|||`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Andy Burns
||+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Theo
||`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.The Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Brian
| +* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.John Rumm
| |+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
| |+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Tim+
| |`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.The Other John
| `- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock
+* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Richard
|`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
+- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.The Natural Philosopher
`* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jethro_uk
 +* Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.GB
 |`- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Richard
 `- Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.Jock

Pages:12
Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t58pep$ifq$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51935&group=uk.d-i-y#51935

From: smith...@btinternet.com.invalid (Richard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 17:00:25 +0100
 by: Richard - Sun, 8 May 2022 16:00 UTC

On 08/05/2022 15:44, GB wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 15:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 May 2022 18:21:39 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>
>>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>>> same way.
>>>
>>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>>
>> SWMBO has just remarked (and I am annoyed I never twigged) that both
>> times the first indication of a problem was when the waxy plug on the
>> dishwasher cleaner didn't melt properly. Which is how we know both times
>> the machine lasted a month.
>>
>> Trying to reconcile correlation with causation here. Is it remotely
>> possible that using a Finish dishwasher cleaner pack managed to break the
>> machine so as to bork the heating element.
>>
>> Or just an indication of the remarkably consistent lifetime of a
>> component ?
>

> We use Finish dishwasher cleaner. Ahem, but what waxy plus is this?

I'm guessing the one "on the dishwasher cleaner". Possibly, the
dishwasher cleaner has a "waxy plug" of some sort in the neck so the
contents don't fall out when inverted.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<jdqc61FssklU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51941&group=uk.d-i-y#51941

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 18:15:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 8 May 2022 17:15 UTC

Tim+ wrote:

> Our dishwasher (Fisher Paykel)

Is it normal for dishwashers to warn about dangerous release of hydrogen after a
period of non-use?

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t592jm$ilf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51945&group=uk.d-i-y#51945

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 19:36:38 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:36 UTC

On 08/05/2022 16:07, Brian wrote:
> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is that.
>>>
>>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>>> same way.
>>>
>>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>>

>> We have found Bosch very good.
>>

> We look for white goods with a 5 year warranty. If it fails after that and
> it isn’t simple / cheap to fix, we replace it.
>
> Previously, we’ve had long lived washing machines - especially an Ariston (
> I think 18 years, a few door seals and a door switch. I finally died after
> a house move.) Others generally last 6 or 7 years.
>
> The record goes to a Tricity microwave, over 20 years. 70p spent on O rings
> to replace turntable drive belts and still working when we dumped it as it
> was looking tatty in the new kitchen. The replacement died after a few
> years.

We just replaced our first microwave after 29 years!

It was still working, but was beginning to lose RF power and cooking
times were getting a bit long. I had repaired the door catch once where
a bit snapped off the plastic part where the spring attached, but other
than that had been trouble free. Got another Panasonic since the first
one did well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<op.1lu51jpoc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51953&group=uk.d-i-y#51953

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 05:06:45 +1000
 by: Jock - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:06 UTC

On Mon, 09 May 2022 00:23:32 +1000, Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2022 18:21:39 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:
>
>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>> that.
>>
>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>> same way.
>>
>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>
> SWMBO has just remarked (and I am annoyed I never twigged) that both
> times the first indication of a problem was when the waxy plug on the
> dishwasher cleaner didn't melt properly. Which is how we know both times
> the machine lasted a month.
>
> Trying to reconcile correlation with causation here. Is it remotely
> possible that using a Finish dishwasher cleaner pack managed to break the
> machine so as to bork the heating element.

The wax plug needs hot water to melt it and so the wax plug
not melting is just evidence of the heater having failed.

Dishwashers do wash quite well without being able to heat the water.

> Or just an indication of the remarkably consistent lifetime of a
> component ?

More likely that is just a fluke.

No need to use a dishwasher cleaner pack every month or anything like that.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<op.1lu7ted7c5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51969&group=uk.d-i-y#51969

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 05:45:04 +1000
 by: Jock - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:45 UTC

On Mon, 09 May 2022 04:36:38 +1000, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

> On 08/05/2022 16:07, Brian wrote:
>> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

>>> We have found Bosch very good.
>>>
>> We look for white goods with a 5 year warranty. If it fails after that
>> and
>> it isn’t simple / cheap to fix, we replace it.
>> Previously, we’ve had long lived washing machines - especially an
>> Ariston (
>> I think 18 years, a few door seals and a door switch. I finally died
>> after
>> a house move.) Others generally last 6 or 7 years.
>> The record goes to a Tricity microwave, over 20 years. 70p spent on O
>> rings
>> to replace turntable drive belts and still working when we dumped it as
>> it
>> was looking tatty in the new kitchen. The replacement died after a few
>> years.
>
> We just replaced our first microwave after 29 years!
>
> It was still working, but was beginning to lose RF power and cooking
> times were getting a bit long. I had repaired the door catch once where
> a bit snapped off the plastic part where the spring attached, but other
> than that had been trouble free. Got another Panasonic since the first
> one did well.

My Panasonic is still going fine after 50 years with no sign of any
reducition
in power and it gets used almost every night.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<259960099.673729404.393203.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51972&group=uk.d-i-y#51972

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 May 2022 19:58:12 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:58 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 16:07, Brian wrote:
>> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

>>> We have found Bosch very good.
>>>

>> We look for white goods with a 5 year warranty. If it fails after that and
>> it isn’t simple / cheap to fix, we replace it.
>>
>> Previously, we’ve had long lived washing machines - especially an Ariston (
>> I think 18 years, a few door seals and a door switch. I finally died after
>> a house move.) Others generally last 6 or 7 years.
>>
>> The record goes to a Tricity microwave, over 20 years. 70p spent on O rings
>> to replace turntable drive belts and still working when we dumped it as it
>> was looking tatty in the new kitchen. The replacement died after a few
>> years.
>
> We just replaced our first microwave after 29 years!

Pfft. A mere stripling. ;-) Our Toshiba is coming up to 42…

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<op.1lu9tramc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51984&group=uk.d-i-y#51984

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 06:28:29 +1000
 by: Jock - Sun, 8 May 2022 20:28 UTC

On Mon, 09 May 2022 01:07:47 +1000, Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>> On 07/05/2022 19:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
>>> Either a faulty component or manufacture, obviously. Same failure in a
>>> brand new replacement as the first. Water stops heating and that is
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Because SWMBO liked one particular feature, I had to swallow my
>>> objections and order the same make and model. Which has now failed the
>>> same way.
>>>
>>> Folk are free to guess the make ...
>>

>> We have found Bosch very good.
>>

> We look for white goods with a 5 year warranty. If it fails after that
> and
> it isn’t simple / cheap to fix, we replace it.
>
> Previously, we’ve had long lived washing machines - especially an
> Ariston (
> I think 18 years, a few door seals and a door switch. I finally died
> after
> a house move.) Others generally last 6 or 7 years.
>
> The record goes to a Tricity microwave, over 20 years.

My Panasonic is 50 years now.

> 70p spent on O rings
> to replace turntable drive belts

Mine doesn't rotate anymore, too lasy to fix that since it makes no
difference.

and still working when we dumped it as
> it
> was looking tatty in the new kitchen. The replacement died after a few
> years.
>
> Many washing machines use common main parts. I sometimes strip out bits
> of
> dead ones and use them to extend the life of replacements.
>
> We had a new kitchen fitted some time back - 15 years?. All except the
> ‘hood’ are / were AEG.
>
> Dishwasher has been replaced twice, first a Bosch, now a SMEG.
>
> Microwave / combi was all but rebuilt in the first year.
>
> Fridge and Freezer door hinges replaced several times. Very expensive
> parts.
>
> Hob ( induction) is great. Only regret not getting 6 ring one rather than
> 4.
>
> Around the same time, we bought a stand alone Samsung combi microwave as
> well - that is excellent.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t59chr$230$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51996&group=uk.d-i-y#51996

From: nom...@home.org (The Other John)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 21:26:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Other John - Sun, 8 May 2022 21:26 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 19:36:38 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

> We just replaced our first microwave after 29 years!

Practically new! :) We bought our Hitachi microwave in 1982 and it's used
every day still.

--
TOJ.

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<t5b2ie$s7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52062&group=uk.d-i-y#52062

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 13:48:14 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 9 May 2022 12:48 UTC

On 07/05/2022 21:30, GB wrote:
> On 07/05/2022 20:22, Jock wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 May 2022 05:00:22 +1000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> We have found Bosch very good.
>>
>> Me too but the current ones have an integrated pump and heater
>> so if that fails you need a whole new one and that costs more than
>> a brand new Bosch dishwasher. Barking mad.
>

> Would there be money in buying new dishwashers and breaking them for
> parts?  :)

That's why 2nd hand and 'ancient' camper vans hold their price. They
are bought up to be broken down for parts (mostly).

Re: 2 brand new dishwashers in 2 months. Packed up.

<op.1lwz59cic5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52123&group=uk.d-i-y#52123

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 04:55:11 +1000
 by: Jock - Mon, 9 May 2022 18:55 UTC

On Mon, 09 May 2022 22:48:14 +1000, Andrew
<Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

> On 07/05/2022 21:30, GB wrote:
>> On 07/05/2022 20:22, Jock wrote:

>>> Me too but the current ones have an integrated pump and heater
>>> so if that fails you need a whole new one and that costs more than
>>> a brand new Bosch dishwasher. Barking mad.
>> Would there be money in buying new dishwashers and breaking them for
>> parts? :)
>>
> That's why 2nd hand and 'ancient' camper vans hold their price. They
> are bought up to be broken down for parts (mostly).

That's not NEW ones.