Accuracy, n.: The vice of being right

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: USB camera recommendations please

SubjectAuthor
* USB camera recommendations pleaseChris Hogg
+- Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseDave Plowman (News)
+- Re: USB camera recommendations pleasePeter Johnson
+* Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseAndy Burns
|`- Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseBob Eager
+* Re: USB camera recommendations pleasePaul
|`* Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseAndy Burns
| `* Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseChris Hogg
|  +* Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseDave Plowman (News)
|  |`* Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseBob Eager
|  | `- Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseDave Plowman (News)
|  `* Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseMark Carver
|   `- Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseDave Plowman (News)
`- Re: USB camera recommendations pleaseChris Hogg

1
USB camera recommendations please

<vd1f7h9dgmqnvo5jvirmpg985bb998eqb0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51864&group=uk.d-i-y#51864

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: USB camera recommendations please
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 10:00:31 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 8 May 2022 09:00 UTC

My PC and screen don't have a built-in camera, and I find I'm
increasingly in need of one. Nothing expensive, £20 - £40 bracket
would give me more than need I would think, but I'd like it small and
capable of being clipped to the top edge of my HP L1950 screen.

--
Chris

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<59e5544cb5dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51883&group=uk.d-i-y#51883

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: USB camera recommendations please
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 11:52:44 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 8 May 2022 10:52 UTC

In article <vd1f7h9dgmqnvo5jvirmpg985bb998eqb0@4ax.com>,
Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> My PC and screen don't have a built-in camera, and I find I'm
> increasingly in need of one. Nothing expensive, £20 - £40 bracket
> would give me more than need I would think, but I'd like it small and
> capable of being clipped to the top edge of my HP L1950 screen.

Think you'll need a webcam - which has a built in mic too. Although you
can use a separate mic. Webcams generally come with a bracket for clipping
to the monitor.

Think your budget is a bit small for a decent one though. Remembering that
your monitor will be HD or better. And a low res camera won't look good.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<suif7h5pauomv2tgstdtpgs9h3d00o46h1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51908&group=uk.d-i-y#51908

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 14:58:42 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:58 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 10:00:31 +0100, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>My PC and screen don't have a built-in camera, and I find I'm
>increasingly in need of one. Nothing expensive, £20 - £40 bracket
>would give me more than need I would think, but I'd like it small and
>capable of being clipped to the top edge of my HP L1950 screen.

Dozens on eBay/Amazon in that price range. I got an unknown brand HD
1080P for less than £30 which is perfectly adequate for
non-professional use.

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<jdq7plFs330U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51936&group=uk.d-i-y#51936

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 17:00:51 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 8 May 2022 16:00 UTC

Chris Hogg wrote:

> My PC and screen don't have a built-in camera, and I find I'm
> increasingly in need of one. Nothing expensive, £20 - £40 bracket
> would give me more than need I would think, but I'd like it small and
> capable of being clipped to the top edge of my HP L1950 screen.

Logitech C920 here, list price is above your budget but check ebay £40-50, it's
full HD and in particular has excellent mics, I used to get complaints about
other mics on Teams calls, but never an issue with this one, comes with a
bracket that rests on the top of monitor.

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<t58pim$v8k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51937&group=uk.d-i-y#51937

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 12:02:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 8 May 2022 16:02 UTC

On 5/8/2022 5:00 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:
> My PC and screen don't have a built-in camera, and I find I'm
> increasingly in need of one. Nothing expensive, £20 - £40 bracket
> would give me more than need I would think, but I'd like it small and
> capable of being clipped to the top edge of my HP L1950 screen.

The cheapest cameras would focus at infinity.

You would want something better than that.

Find a review for "Logitech C270".

Technical Specifications
Max Resolution: 720p/30fps
Camera mega pixel: 0.9
Focus type: fixed focus <=== ouch
Lens type: plastic
Built-in mic: Mono
Mic range: Up to 1 m
Diagonal field of view (dFoV): 55°
Universal mounting clip fits laptops, LCD or monitors

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/678836/best-webcams-logitech-vs-microsoft/

But it should be cheap. Even if you have a
postage stamp sized head and a large wall depicted.

*******

For comparison:

Microsoft LifeCam Studio (2.5x to 3x the price)

Resolution and Frame Rate 1080p <=== at less than 30FPS
720p at up to 30 fps <=== not limited by cable protocol
Sensor CMOS
Sensor Resolution 5 MP
Field of View 75°
Zoom 3x (Digital) <=== so during conf. call, only head shows...

Focus Type Auto
Focus Range 0.3 to 32.8' / 0.1 to 10 m

Host Connection USB Type-A USB 2.0
Power Source Bus Powered
Low-Light Correction No
Supported Operating Systems W7/8/10, macOS 10.7 or Later

Microphone Yes
Polar Pattern Omnidirectional
Frequency Range 100 Hz to 18 kHz
Frequency Mode Wideband

Operating Temperature 0 to 40°C
Operating Humidity 5 to 80%
Storage Temperature -40 to 60°C
Storage Humidity 5 to 65%

Privacy Shutter No
Attachment Method Clip, Tripod

Cable Length 1.8 to 2m
Dimensions (W x H x D) 2.4 x 1.8 x 4.5" / 60.0 x 45.0 x 114.0 mm
Weight 4.52 oz / 128 g

*******

In my opinion, if you must use a camera, then
you want the ability to compose the shot.

Make sure the camera software comes with a panel,
with fake PTZ, to position your head in the frame.

I like to crop down "room noise" in conf.calls.

For conf.calls, I use a separate mic. Macintosh 590-0670
plus adapter shit (it uses hard +5V power), then plug into
PC LineIn (it's mostly a line level output signal).

Integrated microphones on webcams, don't generally
work worth a darn, and pick up electronics noise when
the AGC opens up. Even my digital camera does that.
The old Macintosh microphone does not have AGC.

Read the reviews on webcams, to see what kind of
audio they offer. There are very few that rate "good"
on audio. And you'll get sticker shock on vblogger-style
microphones.

And might require more than one purchase in any case,
to get a good one.

Paul

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<jdq82oFs330U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51938&group=uk.d-i-y#51938

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 17:05:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 8 May 2022 16:05 UTC

Paul wrote:

> I like to crop down "room noise" in conf.calls.

Maybe Chris has got impressive shelves full of hardback books?

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<jdqe8oF9ifaU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51942&group=uk.d-i-y#51942

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 May 2022 17:51:20 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sun, 8 May 2022 17:51 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 17:00:51 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> Chris Hogg wrote:
>
>> My PC and screen don't have a built-in camera, and I find I'm
>> increasingly in need of one. Nothing expensive, £20 - £40 bracket would
>> give me more than need I would think, but I'd like it small and capable
>> of being clipped to the top edge of my HP L1950 screen.
>
> Logitech C920 here, list price is above your budget but check ebay
> £40-50, it's full HD and in particular has excellent mics, I used to get
> complaints about other mics on Teams calls, but never an issue with this
> one, comes with a bracket that rests on the top of monitor.

Two Logitech C525s here. About £60 as iI recall. They work well, although
I use headset microphones (Plantronics Bluetooth).

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<dt3g7h9svbs88blqigs7581ed6tk5rvm2l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51949&group=uk.d-i-y#51949

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 19:49:12 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:49 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 10:00:31 +0100, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>My PC and screen don't have a built-in camera, and I find I'm
>increasingly in need of one. Nothing expensive, £20 - £40 bracket
>would give me more than need I would think, but I'd like it small and
>capable of being clipped to the top edge of my HP L1950 screen.

Thanks for all the advice. The price I suggested was just a shot in
the dark - I had no idea as to what you got or for how much. Quite
happy to up my budget. The Logitec range gets several recommendations
here. I'll have a look.

--
Chris

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<l54g7hlpqliana8jbj0lmmscj9jocrj981@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51951&group=uk.d-i-y#51951

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 19:57:24 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:57 UTC

On Sun, 8 May 2022 17:05:42 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>
>> I like to crop down "room noise" in conf.calls.
>
>Maybe Chris has got impressive shelves full of hardback books?

Well, yes, he has, but they won't be in the background. It surprises
me to see people being interviewed on TV from what I can only assume
are their homes, with the background very brightly lit so that the
interviewee appears almost blacked out. You'd have thought the TV
company would have advised them about the best location, orientation
or background to have, before the interview was set up.

--
Chris

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<59e668adbadave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52185&group=uk.d-i-y#52185

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:11:32 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 10 May 2022 13:11 UTC

In article <l54g7hlpqliana8jbj0lmmscj9jocrj981@4ax.com>,
Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 17:05:42 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:

> >Paul wrote:
> >
> >> I like to crop down "room noise" in conf.calls.
> >
> >Maybe Chris has got impressive shelves full of hardback books?

> Well, yes, he has, but they won't be in the background. It surprises
> me to see people being interviewed on TV from what I can only assume
> are their homes, with the background very brightly lit so that the
> interviewee appears almost blacked out. You'd have thought the TV
> company would have advised them about the best location, orientation
> or background to have, before the interview was set up.

Given on Zoom etc you can see your own picture too it's quite surprising
how many don't seem to care what it looks like. Other than books in the
background, obviously. I've got a nice picture of library shelves I can
key in when needed. ;-)

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<jdvdj6FrqnoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52193&group=uk.d-i-y#52193

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 16:10:30 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 10 May 2022 15:10 UTC

On 08/05/2022 19:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 17:05:42 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> I like to crop down "room noise" in conf.calls.
>> Maybe Chris has got impressive shelves full of hardback books?
> Well, yes, he has, but they won't be in the background. It surprises
> me to see people being interviewed on TV from what I can only assume
> are their homes, with the background very brightly lit so that the
> interviewee appears almost blacked out. You'd have thought the TV
> company would have advised them about the best location, orientation
> or background to have, before the interview was set up.
Broadcasters are increasingly staffed by people who have less of a clue
about lighting/sound/etc than some of the interviewees these days

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<59e677fa3bdave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52197&group=uk.d-i-y#52197

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 16:58:38 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 10 May 2022 15:58 UTC

In article <jdvdj6FrqnoU1@mid.individual.net>,
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 19:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 May 2022 17:05:42 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> Maybe Chris has got impressive shelves full of hardback books?
> > Well, yes, he has, but they won't be in the background. It surprises
> > me to see people being interviewed on TV from what I can only assume
> > are their homes, with the background very brightly lit so that the
> > interviewee appears almost blacked out. You'd have thought the TV
> > company would have advised them about the best location, orientation
> > or background to have, before the interview was set up.

> Broadcasters are increasingly staffed by people who have less of a clue
> about lighting/sound/etc than some of the interviewees these days

What are you doing watching GB News? ;-)

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<jdvvrdF9ifaU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52223&group=uk.d-i-y#52223

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 May 2022 20:22:05 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 10 May 2022 20:22 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 14:11:32 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> Given on Zoom etc you can see your own picture too it's quite surprising
> how many don't seem to care what it looks like. Other than books in the
> background, obviously. I've got a nice picture of library shelves I can
> key in when needed. ;-)

I tend to do most of my video calls in my workshop (SWMBO is working,
doing the same, in the office).

The background is shelves of components, tools and a PDP-11 in a 42U rack.

Re: USB camera recommendations please

<59e6ec1406dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52269&group=uk.d-i-y#52269

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:06:46 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:06 UTC

In article <jdvvrdF9ifaU4@mid.individual.net>,
Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2022 14:11:32 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > Given on Zoom etc you can see your own picture too it's quite surprising
> > how many don't seem to care what it looks like. Other than books in the
> > background, obviously. I've got a nice picture of library shelves I can
> > key in when needed. ;-)

> I tend to do most of my video calls in my workshop (SWMBO is working,
> doing the same, in the office).

> The background is shelves of components, tools and a PDP-11 in a 42U rack.

I do too sometimes. On the edge of the picture is my cable rack. Where I
keep audio video and computer etc cables for just about anything. That
seems to get the most comments.

I've got a desk light for the keyboard. Can be white, warm white or cool
white. Dims too. So can use it as a key light and match to the ambient at
the time.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *