I just had a NOSE JOB!!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

SubjectAuthor
* Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
+* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
|`- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)The Nomad
+* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Brian
|`* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Andy Burns
| `- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
+* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
|`* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)GB
| `* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
|  +* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)GB
|  |+* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Steve Walker
|  ||+* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)GB
|  |||`- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Brian
|  ||`* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
|  || +* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Steve Walker
|  || |+* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Colin Bignell
|  || ||+* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)GB
|  || |||+- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Steve Walker
|  || |||+- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
|  || |||`- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Fredxx
|  || ||`- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
|  || |`* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
|  || | `* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)SH
|  || |  `- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Fredxx
|  || `- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Fredxx
|  |`- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
|  `- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)SH
`* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright
 `* Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)Brian
  `- Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)williamwright

Pages:12
Help needed with maths (urgent)

<jdv4jpFq6hmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52173&group=uk.d-i-y#52173

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Help needed with maths (urgent)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:37:13 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 12:37 UTC

Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem. A rather nasty
crime has been committed and we have CCTV of a possible perpetrator, but
much depends on timings. We've taken pains to get accurate times for the
two best CCTV images but unfortunately one is only stated to the minute.
Taking that timing at the midpoint of that minute the elapsed time
between the two images is 2 minutes and 8 seconds. Obviously that figure
has ±30 secs uncertainty.
The distance between the two image locations is exactly 350 metres. I
need to know:
(a) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
travel 350m was 2mins 8secs minus 30 secs?
(b) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
travel 350m was 2mins 8secs plus 30 secs?
(c) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
travel 350m was exactly 2mins 8secs?
We know the maximum speed of his (rather unusual) mode of transport;
what we're trying to figure is whether he would have time to pause and
commit his crime halfway along the 350m distance.

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<jdv5k1FqbtdU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52177&group=uk.d-i-y#52177

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:54:25 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 12:54 UTC

On 10/05/2022 13:37, williamwright wrote:
> Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem. A rather nasty
> crime has been committed and we have CCTV of a possible perpetrator, but
> much depends on timings. We've taken pains to get accurate times for the
> two best CCTV images but unfortunately one is only stated to the minute.
> Taking that timing at the midpoint of that minute the elapsed time
> between the two images is 2 minutes and 8 seconds. Obviously that figure
> has ±30 secs uncertainty.
> The distance between the two image locations is exactly 350 metres. I
> need to know:
> (a) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs minus 30 secs?
> (b) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs plus 30 secs?
> (c) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was exactly 2mins 8secs?
> We know the maximum speed of his (rather unusual) mode of transport;
> what we're trying to figure is whether he would have time to pause and
> commit his crime halfway along the 350m distance.
>
> Bill

Answer in mph please!

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5dngr$dpm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52178&group=uk.d-i-y#52178

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 12:58:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:DraOXnvu5Exe0p+jhzemDZxyKu0=
 by: Brian - Tue, 10 May 2022 12:58 UTC

williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem. A rather nasty
> crime has been committed and we have CCTV of a possible perpetrator, but
> much depends on timings. We've taken pains to get accurate times for the
> two best CCTV images but unfortunately one is only stated to the minute.
> Taking that timing at the midpoint of that minute the elapsed time
> between the two images is 2 minutes and 8 seconds. Obviously that figure
> has ±30 secs uncertainty.
> The distance between the two image locations is exactly 350 metres. I
> need to know:
> (a) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs minus 30 secs?
> (b) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs plus 30 secs?
> (c) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was exactly 2mins 8secs?
> We know the maximum speed of his (rather unusual) mode of transport;
> what we're trying to figure is whether he would have time to pause and
> commit his crime halfway along the 350m distance.
>
> Bill

Distance is 350 m

Min time 1:38 or 98s

Middle time 2:08 or 128s

Max time 2:38 or 158 s

Max speed: 350/98 = 3.57 m/s

Middle speed. 350 / 128= 2.73m/s

Min speed 350/ 158= 2.16 m/s.

(All to 2 dp)

In miles per hour:

Max 7.99 mph

Middle 6.12 mph

Min 5.96mph

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<jdv65mFqegvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52179&group=uk.d-i-y#52179

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:03:50 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 10 May 2022 13:03 UTC

Brian wrote:

> In miles per hour:
> Max 7.99 mph

Which presumably corresponds with the limit of a class3 scooter?

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<gpteK.2671649$391.1226906@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52180&group=uk.d-i-y#52180

From: nom...@the.desert.invalid (The Nomad)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:04:12 GMT
 by: The Nomad - Tue, 10 May 2022 13:04 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 13:54:25 +0100, williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com>
wrote:

> On 10/05/2022 13:37, williamwright wrote:
>> Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem.

<snip>

> Answer in mph please!
>
> Bill

Easy ... :-)

350 m is 0.2175 miles

2'8" is 128 seconds

Thus speed is 3600/128*0.2175 = 6.12 mph

The other times are 98" and 158" so speeds are 7.99 mph & 4.95 mph

HTH

Avpx

--
The Battle of Koom Valley is the only one known to history where both
sides ambushed each other. (Men at Arms)

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<jdv9hqFr36oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52187&group=uk.d-i-y#52187

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 15:01:31 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 14:01 UTC

On 10/05/2022 14:03, Andy Burns wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> In miles per hour:
>> Max 7.99 mph
>
> Which presumably corresponds with the limit of a class3 scooter?

Correct

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<jdv9j7Fr36oU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52188&group=uk.d-i-y#52188

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 15:02:15 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 14:02 UTC

On 10/05/2022 13:37, williamwright wrote:
> Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem. A rather nasty
> crime has been committed and we have CCTV of a possible perpetrator, but
> much depends on timings. We've taken pains to get accurate times for the
> two best CCTV images but unfortunately one is only stated to the minute.
> Taking that timing at the midpoint of that minute the elapsed time
> between the two images is 2 minutes and 8 seconds. Obviously that figure
> has ±30 secs uncertainty.
> The distance between the two image locations is exactly 350 metres. I
> need to know:
> (a) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs minus 30 secs?
> (b) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs plus 30 secs?
> (c) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was exactly 2mins 8secs?
> We know the maximum speed of his (rather unusual) mode of transport;
> what we're trying to figure is whether he would have time to pause and
> commit his crime halfway along the 350m distance.
>
> Bill

Thanks guys. Really helpful. No way could I have worked it out. That
info will go to the police.

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<jdv9vmFr5riU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52189&group=uk.d-i-y#52189

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 15:08:55 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 14:08 UTC

On 10/05/2022 13:37, williamwright wrote:
> Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem. A rather nasty
> crime has been committed and we have CCTV of a possible perpetrator, but
> much depends on timings. We've taken pains to get accurate times for the
> two best CCTV images but unfortunately one is only stated to the minute.
> Taking that timing at the midpoint of that minute the elapsed time
> between the two images is 2 minutes and 8 seconds. Obviously that figure
> has ±30 secs uncertainty.
> The distance between the two image locations is exactly 350 metres. I
> need to know:
> (a) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs minus 30 secs?
> (b) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs plus 30 secs?
> (c) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
> travel 350m was exactly 2mins 8secs?
> We know the maximum speed of his (rather unusual) mode of transport;
> what we're trying to figure is whether he would have time to pause and
> commit his crime halfway along the 350m distance.
>
> Bill

There is a small discrepancy between the answers so far...

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5duc5$ukr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52191&group=uk.d-i-y#52191

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:55:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mwgSvsrSlopXc38k5f5Embj+La8=
 by: Brian - Tue, 10 May 2022 14:55 UTC

williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 13:37, williamwright wrote:
>> Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem. A rather nasty
>> crime has been committed and we have CCTV of a possible perpetrator, but
>> much depends on timings. We've taken pains to get accurate times for the
>> two best CCTV images but unfortunately one is only stated to the minute.
>> Taking that timing at the midpoint of that minute the elapsed time
>> between the two images is 2 minutes and 8 seconds. Obviously that figure
>> has ±30 secs uncertainty.
>> The distance between the two image locations is exactly 350 metres. I
>> need to know:
>> (a) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
>> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs minus 30 secs?
>> (b) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
>> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs plus 30 secs?
>> (c) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
>> travel 350m was exactly 2mins 8secs?
>> We know the maximum speed of his (rather unusual) mode of transport;
>> what we're trying to figure is whether he would have time to pause and
>> commit his crime halfway along the 350m distance.
>>
>> Bill
>
> There is a small discrepancy between the answers so far...
>
> Bill

Yep, finger trouble, my 5.96 mph should be 4.96 mph.

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5e1ma$n4h$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52196&group=uk.d-i-y#52196

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 16:51:39 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 10 May 2022 15:51 UTC

On 10/05/2022 15:02, williamwright wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 13:37, williamwright wrote:
>> Guys, I'm really hopeless at maths. I have a problem. A rather nasty
>> crime has been committed and we have CCTV of a possible perpetrator,
>> but much depends on timings. We've taken pains to get accurate times
>> for the two best CCTV images but unfortunately one is only stated to
>> the minute. Taking that timing at the midpoint of that minute the
>> elapsed time between the two images is 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
>> Obviously that figure has ±30 secs uncertainty.
>> The distance between the two image locations is exactly 350 metres. I
>> need to know:
>> (a) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
>> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs minus 30 secs?
>> (b) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
>> travel 350m was 2mins 8secs plus 30 secs?
>> (c) What speed would the suspect need to be doing if the time taken to
>> travel 350m was exactly 2mins 8secs?
>> We know the maximum speed of his (rather unusual) mode of transport;
>> what we're trying to figure is whether he would have time to pause and
>> commit his crime halfway along the 350m distance.
>>
>> Bill
>
> Thanks guys. Really helpful. No way could I have worked it out. That
> info will go to the police.
>
> Bill

Can I express my ignorance of CCTV. Surely, you just need a stopwatch,
whilst watching the video playback?

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<jdvhbcFsialU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52199&group=uk.d-i-y#52199

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 17:14:36 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:14 UTC

On 10/05/2022 16:51, GB wrote:

> Can I express my ignorance of CCTV. Surely, you just need a stopwatch,
> whilst watching the video playback?

Each frame has the exact time stamped on it. You work on individual frames.

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<jdvhcaFsialU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52200&group=uk.d-i-y#52200

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 17:15:07 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:15 UTC

On 10/05/2022 15:55, Brian wrote:

>> There is a small discrepancy between the answers so far...
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Yep, finger trouble, my 5.96 mph should be 4.96 mph.

Thank you.

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5e4rh$omo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52203&group=uk.d-i-y#52203

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 17:45:38 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:45 UTC

On 10/05/2022 17:14, williamwright wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 16:51, GB wrote:
>
>> Can I express my ignorance of CCTV. Surely, you just need a stopwatch,
>> whilst watching the video playback?
>>

> Each frame has the exact time stamped on it. You work on individual frames.
>
> Bill

I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which is
causing a problem?

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5e73o$hit$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52207&group=uk.d-i-y#52207

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 18:24:08 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Tue, 10 May 2022 17:24 UTC

On 10/05/2022 17:45, GB wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 17:14, williamwright wrote:
>> On 10/05/2022 16:51, GB wrote:
>>
>>> Can I express my ignorance of CCTV. Surely, you just need a
>>> stopwatch, whilst watching the video playback?
>>>

>> Each frame has the exact time stamped on it. You work on individual
>> frames.
>>
>> Bill
>

> I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which is
> causing a problem?

Presumably it takes a still at intervals, rather than recording a stream
of video?

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5e8l5$ug9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52210&group=uk.d-i-y#52210

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 18:50:30 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 10 May 2022 17:50 UTC

On 10/05/2022 18:24, Steve Walker wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 17:45, GB wrote:

>>> Each frame has the exact time stamped on it. You work on individual
>>> frames.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>

>> I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which
>> is causing a problem?
>
> Presumably it takes a still at intervals, rather than recording a stream
> of video?

Okay, then. Are those done at regular intervals, save every 5 seconds?

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5e9bg$irp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52212&group=uk.d-i-y#52212

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 19:02:25 +0100
 by: SH - Tue, 10 May 2022 18:02 UTC

On 10/05/2022 17:14, williamwright wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 16:51, GB wrote:
>
>> Can I express my ignorance of CCTV. Surely, you just need a stopwatch,
>> whilst watching the video playback?
>>

> Each frame has the exact time stamped on it. You work on individual frames.
>
> Bill

oh right. my cctv is set to record in D1 at 25 fps

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5ea84$1ce$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52214&group=uk.d-i-y#52214

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 18:17:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9trwovzEY7SGg9ny6h5Whqiph1w=
 by: Brian - Tue, 10 May 2022 18:17 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 18:24, Steve Walker wrote:

>>> I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which
>>> is causing a problem?
>>
>> Presumably it takes a still at intervals, rather than recording a stream
>> of video?
>>

> Okay, then. Are those done at regular intervals, save every 5 seconds?

Systems vary.

Ours detects motion and you set it to record for a period. You can vary the
sensitivity, set several zones within the field of view of each camera,
set video quality, ….. Others are as simple as video recorders that run
all the time and either need to be erased or auto loop. (Some people may
still be using tapes. I remember someone mentioning they’d just replaced a
tape based system just before lockdown I think.

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<je0104Fvp8U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52227&group=uk.d-i-y#52227

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 21:41:41 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 20:41 UTC

On 10/05/2022 17:45, GB wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 17:14, williamwright wrote:
>> On 10/05/2022 16:51, GB wrote:
>>
>>> Can I express my ignorance of CCTV. Surely, you just need a
>>> stopwatch, whilst watching the video playback?
>>>

>> Each frame has the exact time stamped on it. You work on individual
>> frames.
>>
>> Bill
>

> I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which is
> causing a problem?

No. The problem was caused by a person who didn't realise we needed seconds.

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<je0114Fvp8U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52228&group=uk.d-i-y#52228

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 21:42:13 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 10 May 2022 20:42 UTC

On 10/05/2022 18:24, Steve Walker wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 17:45, GB wrote:

>>> Each frame has the exact time stamped on it. You work on individual
>>> frames.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>

>> I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which
>> is causing a problem?
>
> Presumably it takes a still at intervals, rather than recording a stream
> of video?

It takes 25 stills per second...

Bill

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5emo7$lto$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52230&group=uk.d-i-y#52230

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 22:51:03 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Tue, 10 May 2022 21:51 UTC

On 10/05/2022 21:42, williamwright wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 18:24, Steve Walker wrote:

>>> I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which
>>> is causing a problem?
>>
>> Presumably it takes a still at intervals, rather than recording a
>> stream of video?
>>

> It takes 25 stills per second...
>
> Bill

Then surely, you have the number of seconds taken simply by counting the
frames between the two images and dividing by 25?

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<zumdnSbzgoXCb-f_nZ2dnUU7-ePNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52232&group=uk.d-i-y#52232

Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 00:16:45 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Tue, 10 May 2022 23:16 UTC

On 10/05/2022 22:51, Steve Walker wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 21:42, williamwright wrote:

>>> Presumably it takes a still at intervals, rather than recording a
>>> stream of video?
>>>

>> It takes 25 stills per second...
>>
>> Bill
>
> Then surely, you have the number of seconds taken simply by counting the
> frames between the two images and dividing by 25?

'The two best CCTV images', *one* of which is only timed in minutes, and
a distance of 350m between them suggest that there might be more than
one source.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5eu2t$pe5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52233&group=uk.d-i-y#52233

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 00:56:13 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 10 May 2022 23:56 UTC

On 10/05/2022 21:42, williamwright wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 18:24, Steve Walker wrote:

>>> I thought that the frames only have the time in whole minutes, which
>>> is causing a problem?
>>
>> Presumably it takes a still at intervals, rather than recording a
>> stream of video?
>>

> It takes 25 stills per second...

Or 24, or 30, or 50, or even 60. It rather depends on the format.

Cheap CCTV systems tend top be in the ad-hoc few frames per second, if
you're lucky.

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5gc0q$3eo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52268&group=uk.d-i-y#52268

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:00:11 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:00 UTC

On 11/05/2022 00:16, Colin Bignell wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 22:51, Steve Walker wrote:

>>> It takes 25 stills per second...
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> Then surely, you have the number of seconds taken simply by counting
>> the frames between the two images and dividing by 25?
>
> 'The two best CCTV images', *one* of which is only timed in minutes, and
> a distance of 350m between them suggest that there might be more than
> one source.

Oh, right! No wonder we are at cross purposes. :)

Forgive me asking, but do these CCTV systems use an external time
synchronisation source? Bill says they have the exact time, but if that
depends on an internal clock, those could be out of sync by a minute or two.

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<t5giug$hj6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52281&group=uk.d-i-y#52281

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:58:24 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Wed, 11 May 2022 14:58 UTC

On 11/05/2022 14:00, GB wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 00:16, Colin Bignell wrote:

>>> Then surely, you have the number of seconds taken simply by counting
>>> the frames between the two images and dividing by 25?
>>
>> 'The two best CCTV images', *one* of which is only timed in minutes,
>> and a distance of 350m between them suggest that there might be more
>> than one source.
>>

> Oh, right! No wonder we are at cross purposes. :)
>
> Forgive me asking, but do these CCTV systems use an external time
> synchronisation source? Bill says they have the exact time, but if that
> depends on an internal clock, those could be out of sync by a minute or
> two.

Hmmm, while the two systems won't be set to the same time, do they both
use mains frequency to maintain their clocks? If so, the difference
should remain constant, so record a clock on one and then the other and
look where the two systems change from one minute to the next, to
calculate the offset of one from the other?

Re: Help needed with maths (urgent)

<je2e6hFevamU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52303&group=uk.d-i-y#52303

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 19:39:14 +0100
 by: williamwright - Wed, 11 May 2022 18:39 UTC

On 10/05/2022 22:51, Steve Walker wrote:

> Then surely, you have the number of seconds taken simply by counting the
> frames between the two images and dividing by 25?

It's two separate cctv systems.

Bill