God gave man two ears and one tongue so that we listen twice as much as we speak. -- Arab proverb

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Energy costs.

SubjectAuthor
* Energy costs.The Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Energy costs.Bev
|+* Re: Energy costs.Theo
||+* Re: Energy costs.alan_m
|||+- Re: Energy costs.Andrew
|||`* Re: Energy costs.Theo
||| `- Re: Energy costs.alan_m
||+- Re: Energy costs.Andrew
||`- Re: Energy costs.Bev
|+* Re: Energy costs.Tim Streater
||`- Re: Energy costs.Bev
|`- Re: Energy costs.The Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Energy costs.Andrew
`* Re: Energy costs.Robin
 `* Re: Energy costs.The Natural Philosopher
  `* Re: Energy costs.Andy Burns
   +* Re: Energy costs.The Natural Philosopher
   |+- Re: Energy costs.Tim Streater
   |`* Re: Energy costs.Robin
   | +- Re: Energy costs.The Natural Philosopher
   | `* Re: Energy costs.Vir Campestris
   |  `* Re: Energy costs.The Natural Philosopher
   |   `- Re: Energy costs.Andrew
   `* Re: Energy costs.critcher
    `* Re: Energy costs.Andrew
     +- Re: Energy costs.RJH
     `- Re: Energy costs.alan_m

Pages:12
Energy costs.

<t5dfo4$f8f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52156&group=uk.d-i-y#52156

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Energy costs.
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:45:24 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 10 May 2022 10:45 UTC

Despite government assurances, it cost me £110 to fill my car yesterday,
and 90% more to (part) fill my heating oil tank, and my electricity
standing order is up 90% too.

Since everything uses energy to make, transport and keep in good shape,
what is the betting that *real* inflation this year will break all records?

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Re: Energy costs.

<t5dicf$23a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52159&group=uk.d-i-y#52159

From: Bev...@invalid.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Energy costs.
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:30:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Tue, 10 May 2022 11:30 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 11:45:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> and 90% more to (part) fill my heating oil tank,

OOI what was the cost per litre?

Mine are Ok for another couple of months but the last I paid was around
35p/litre and so for me I'm guessing around a tripling of the price paid
then.

Re: Energy costs.

<dKk*QtPNy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52162&group=uk.d-i-y#52162

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 May 2022 12:59:39 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 10 May 2022 11:59 UTC

Bev <Bev@invalid.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2022 11:45:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
> > and 90% more to (part) fill my heating oil tank,
>
> OOI what was the cost per litre?
>
> Mine are Ok for another couple of months but the last I paid was around
> 35p/litre and so for me I'm guessing around a tripling of the price paid
> then.

Last weekend's email from 'The Oil Club':

Oil prices were set for a second consecutive weekly gain as Brent Crude tops $113 per barrel in early trading on Friday morning as the
EUs proposal to ban imports of all Russian Crude and oil products by the end of the year trumped market concerns about slowing Chinese
oil demand.

Estimated delivery times are 5 to 10 working days. Delivery times are only an estimated delivery time. Please allow plenty of time for
your order to be delivered.

* This weekend's offer terms:
Rate:  £0.9330   (pence per litre excluding vat - 5% for Domestic use. There are no surcharges or admin fees)
Minimum order:  500 Litres
(Please note some suppliers may make a surcharge if they deliver less than the min qty)
Heating oil type:  Kerosene (28 second) heating oil - Bulk rate.
 Orders with payment information submitted by 11.30 am Monday morning will be included with on this order.
However the supplier may withdraw this offer at any time this weekend so please order early if you wish to
Order and pay by date: order.
(Closing time subject to change without notice so please add your order as soon as possible. Orders made
after the group offer has closed will not be included. Please check the order screen for any updates)
 Estimated delivery within 7 working days from club order on Monday. If you are low on oil this order will
not be suitable. This supplier has 4 wheeler & standard 6 wheeler tankers. (No baby/midi tankers) (Please
*Estimated delivery window: allow plenty of time for delivery. If you are low this order may not be suitable)
(Please note delivery times are estimated and subject to change due to adverse weather conditions or
unforeseen circumstances.)

During first lockdown it was 19p/litre!
(a more common pre-pandemic price being 40p/litre)

Theo

Re: Energy costs.

<jdv43sFq3iiU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52168&group=uk.d-i-y#52168

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:28:43 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 10 May 2022 12:28 UTC

On 10/05/2022 12:59, Theo wrote:

> During first lockdown it was 19p/litre!
> (a more common pre-pandemic price being 40p/litre)

Long before the Russian invasion (Dec 2021) friends of mine had around
1000 litres delivered at around 69p litre. A lot is blamed on the
Russian war but the fast upward trend in prices was already being seen
long before that. In fact the April energy rises and price caps were
being discussed months beforehand.

I've noticed that a lot of items that I've previously purchased have
recently risen in price by more like 20% rather than the 10% inflation
being touted for the end of the year.

Re: Energy costs.

<t5dm48$16l0$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52171&group=uk.d-i-y#52171

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:34:16 +0100
 by: Andrew - Tue, 10 May 2022 12:34 UTC

> Despite government assurances, it cost me £110 to fill my car yesterday,
> and 90% more to (part) fill  my heating oil tank, and my electricity
> standing order is up 90% too.
>
> Since everything uses energy to make,  transport and keep in good shape,
> what is the betting that *real* inflation this year will break all records?

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/news/2022/05/09/expecting-falling-inflation/

Re: Energy costs.

<t5dm72$16l0$3@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52172&group=uk.d-i-y#52172

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:35:46 +0100
 by: Andrew - Tue, 10 May 2022 12:35 UTC

On 10/05/2022 12:59, Theo wrote:
> Bev <Bev@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 May 2022 11:45:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>>> and 90% more to (part) fill my heating oil tank,
>>
>> OOI what was the cost per litre?
>>
>> Mine are Ok for another couple of months but the last I paid was around
>> 35p/litre and so for me I'm guessing around a tripling of the price paid
>> then.
>
> Last weekend's email from 'The Oil Club':
>
> Oil prices were set for a second consecutive weekly gain as Brent Crude tops $113 per barrel in early trading on Friday morning as the
> EUs proposal to ban imports of all Russian Crude and oil products by the end of the year trumped market concerns about slowing Chinese
> oil demand.
>
> Estimated delivery times are 5 to 10 working days. Delivery times are only an estimated delivery time. Please allow plenty of time for
> your order to be delivered.
>
> * This weekend's offer terms:
> Rate:  £0.9330   (pence per litre excluding vat - 5% for Domestic use. There are no surcharges or admin fees)
> Minimum order:  500 Litres
> (Please note some suppliers may make a surcharge if they deliver less than the min qty)
> Heating oil type:  Kerosene (28 second) heating oil - Bulk rate.
>  Orders with payment information submitted by 11.30 am Monday morning will be included with on this order.
> However the supplier may withdraw this offer at any time this weekend so please order early if you wish to
> Order and pay by date: order.
> (Closing time subject to change without notice so please add your order as soon as possible. Orders made
> after the group offer has closed will not be included. Please check the order screen for any updates)
>  Estimated delivery within 7 working days from club order on Monday. If you are low on oil this order will
> not be suitable. This supplier has 4 wheeler & standard 6 wheeler tankers. (No baby/midi tankers) (Please
> *Estimated delivery window: allow plenty of time for delivery. If you are low this order may not be suitable)
> (Please note delivery times are estimated and subject to change due to adverse weather conditions or
> unforeseen circumstances.)
>
> During first lockdown it was 19p/litre!
> (a more common pre-pandemic price being 40p/litre)
>
> Theo

https://markets.investorschronicle.co.uk/data/commodities

Re: Energy costs.

<t5dmcl$16l0$4@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52175&group=uk.d-i-y#52175

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:38:45 +0100
 by: Andrew - Tue, 10 May 2022 12:38 UTC

On 10/05/2022 13:28, alan_m wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 12:59, Theo wrote:
>

>> During first lockdown it was 19p/litre!

There was a brief period in 2020 when Oil actually went negative in the
USA.

>> (a more common pre-pandemic price being 40p/litre)
>
> Long before the Russian invasion (Dec 2021) friends of mine had around
> 1000 litres delivered at around 69p litre. A lot is blamed on the
> Russian war but the fast upward trend in prices was already being seen
> long before that. In fact the April energy rises and price caps were
> being discussed months beforehand.
>
> I've noticed that a lot of items that I've previously purchased have
> recently risen in price by more like 20% rather than the 10% inflation
> being touted for the end of the year.

All the minnow energy company failures occurred long before Putin
invaded the `Ukraine.

Re: Energy costs.

<aKk*dKPNy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52182&group=uk.d-i-y#52182

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 May 2022 14:09:32 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 10 May 2022 13:09 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 12:59, Theo wrote:
>

> > During first lockdown it was 19p/litre!
> > (a more common pre-pandemic price being 40p/litre)
>
> Long before the Russian invasion (Dec 2021) friends of mine had around
> 1000 litres delivered at around 69p litre. A lot is blamed on the
> Russian war but the fast upward trend in prices was already being seen
> long before that. In fact the April energy rises and price caps were
> being discussed months beforehand.

It was about 50p/litre in November/December/January time. Around Christmas
time prices go up - in 2019 it was 60p/litre at Christmas and 40p/litre at
other times in the winter. I suspect the 69p was a delivery close to
Christmas, or a rush delivery.

(Not sure how much the cost varies across the country, my prices are for
Cambs)

Theo

Re: Energy costs.

<c15f8d09-c9f6-a72c-6087-7ecdcd2835ef@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52183&group=uk.d-i-y#52183

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:10:59 +0100
 by: Robin - Tue, 10 May 2022 13:10 UTC

> Despite government assurances, it cost me £110 to fill my car yesterday,
> and 90% more to (part) fill  my heating oil tank, and my electricity
> standing order is up 90% too.
>
> Since everything uses energy to make,  transport and keep in good shape,
> what is the betting that *real* inflation this year will break all records?

I doubt even the RPI will beat 1975's 24.2%.

--
Robin

Re: Energy costs.

<t5dplf$75v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52186&group=uk.d-i-y#52186

From: Bev...@invalid.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:34:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Tue, 10 May 2022 13:34 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 12:59:39 +0100, Theo wrote:

> Bev <Bev@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 May 2022 11:45:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>> > and 90% more to (part) fill my heating oil tank,
>>
>> OOI what was the cost per litre?
>>
>> Mine are Ok for another couple of months but the last I paid was around
>> 35p/litre and so for me I'm guessing around a tripling of the price
>> paid then.
>
> Last weekend's email from 'The Oil Club':
>
> * This weekend's offer terms:
> Rate:  £0.9330   (pence per litre excluding vat

So not quite tripled then...but still a fair bit more than I'd last paid.
Should I laugh or should I cry?

Re: Energy costs.

<jdvbkeFrgjhU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52190&group=uk.d-i-y#52190

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 15:37:01 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 10 May 2022 14:37 UTC

On 10/05/2022 14:09, Theo wrote:
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 10/05/2022 12:59, Theo wrote:
>>

>>> During first lockdown it was 19p/litre!
>>> (a more common pre-pandemic price being 40p/litre)
>>
>> Long before the Russian invasion (Dec 2021) friends of mine had around
>> 1000 litres delivered at around 69p litre. A lot is blamed on the
>> Russian war but the fast upward trend in prices was already being seen
>> long before that. In fact the April energy rises and price caps were
>> being discussed months beforehand.
>
> It was about 50p/litre in November/December/January time. Around Christmas
> time prices go up - in 2019 it was 60p/litre at Christmas and 40p/litre at
> other times in the winter. I suspect the 69p was a delivery close to
> Christmas, or a rush delivery.

Friends had just moved house to an almost empty oil tank so yes rush
delivery, but from posts on social media from that area of the country
the price didn't fall afterwards. There was one post showing a photo of
a local garage charging £1.99.9 / litre for diesel :(

Re: Energy costs.

<jdvh2oFsh0aU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52198&group=uk.d-i-y#52198

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 May 2022 16:10:00 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:10 UTC

On 10 May 2022 at 12:30:23 BST, Bev <Bev@invalid.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 May 2022 11:45:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> and 90% more to (part) fill my heating oil tank,
>
> OOI what was the cost per litre?
>
> Mine are Ok for another couple of months but the last I paid was around
> 35p/litre and so for me I'm guessing around a tripling of the price paid
> then.

Go to boilerjuice.com they have price charts. Around 104p/lt at the minute for
England.

--
Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network.

-- Tim Berners-Lee

Re: Energy costs.

<t5ebhj$r88$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52216&group=uk.d-i-y#52216

From: Bev...@invalid.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 18:39:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Tue, 10 May 2022 18:39 UTC

On Tue, 10 May 2022 16:10:00 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

> On 10 May 2022 at 12:30:23 BST, Bev <Bev@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 May 2022 11:45:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>>> and 90% more to (part) fill my heating oil tank,
>>
>> OOI what was the cost per litre?
>>
>> Mine are Ok for another couple of months but the last I paid was around
>> 35p/litre and so for me I'm guessing around a tripling of the price
>> paid then.
>
> Go to boilerjuice.com they have price charts. Around 104p/lt at the
> minute for England.

I know boiler juice and can always beat their prices but, yes, they
provide an indication.

Re: Energy costs.

<t5fmkv$ka7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52240&group=uk.d-i-y#52240

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 07:55:27 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 11 May 2022 06:55 UTC

On 10/05/2022 12:30, Bev wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2022 11:45:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> and 90% more to (part) fill my heating oil tank,
>
> OOI what was the cost per litre?
>
> Mine are Ok for another couple of months but the last I paid was around
> 35p/litre and so for me I'm guessing around a tripling of the price paid
> then.

Not quite. 97.25ppl (exc. VAT)

--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
“We did this ourselves.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Re: Energy costs.

<t5fnk4$2bf$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52244&group=uk.d-i-y#52244

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 08:12:04 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 11 May 2022 07:12 UTC

On 10/05/2022 14:10, Robin wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 11:45, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Despite government assurances, it cost me £110 to fill my car
>> yesterday, and 90% more to (part) fill  my heating oil tank, and my
>> electricity standing order is up 90% too.
>>
>> Since everything uses energy to make,  transport and keep in good
>> shape, what is the betting that *real* inflation this year will break
>> all records?
>>

> I doubt even the RPI will beat 1975's 24.2%.

I am beginning to think it will.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Re: Energy costs.

<je16alF7e8sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52245&group=uk.d-i-y#52245

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 08:18:43 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 11 May 2022 07:18 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Robin wrote:
>
>> I doubt even the RPI will beat 1975's 24.2%.
>
> I am beginning to think it will.

And then phone/broadband contracts, train prices, etc will rise by RPI+n% next
year.

Re: Energy costs.

<t5fr3p$ont$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52248&group=uk.d-i-y#52248

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 09:11:37 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 11 May 2022 08:11 UTC

On 11/05/2022 08:18, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Robin wrote:
>>
>>> I doubt even the RPI will beat 1975's 24.2%.
>>
>> I am beginning to think it will.
>
> And then phone/broadband contracts, train prices, etc  will rise by
> RPI+n% next year.

yep. galloping stagflation, and that will be used by some as a reason to
rejoin the EU...

....However by all accounts the EU is in even worse condition.

--
Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the
gospel of envy.

Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Winston Churchill

Re: Energy costs.

<je1d8gF8qf3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52255&group=uk.d-i-y#52255

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 11 May 2022 09:17:04 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Wed, 11 May 2022 09:17 UTC

On 11 May 2022 at 09:11:37 BST, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> On 11/05/2022 08:18, Andy Burns wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> I am beginning to think it will.
>>
>> And then phone/broadband contracts, train prices, etc will rise by
>> RPI+n% next year.
>>
> yep. galloping stagflation, and that will be used by some as a reason to
> rejoin the EU...
>
> ...However by all accounts the EU is in even worse condition.

There will be food shortages across a lot of the world due to the Russians
preventing grain exports via Odessa. Grain and sunflower oil will (are
already) in short supply.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are poor.

Peter Thompson

Re: Energy costs.

<203716a8-3203-a2d9-f5d3-cf67a4fe181a@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52258&group=uk.d-i-y#52258

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 10:55:58 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 11 May 2022 09:55 UTC

> On 11/05/2022 08:18, Andy Burns wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> I am beginning to think it will.
>>
>> And then phone/broadband contracts, train prices, etc  will rise by
>> RPI+n% next year.
>>

> yep. galloping stagflation, and that will be used by some as a reason to
> rejoin the EU...
>
> ...However by all accounts the EU is in even worse condition.

Forex markets don't agree and when the pound falls against both USD and
Euro its a /direct/ (albeit often delayed) hike in the cost of
everything we import using dollars and Euros - oil, gas, 40% of food,...

--
Robin

Re: Energy costs.

<t5gbub$qlo$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52266&group=uk.d-i-y#52266

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 13:58:51 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 11 May 2022 12:58 UTC

On 11/05/2022 10:55, Robin wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 09:11, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> And then phone/broadband contracts, train prices, etc  will rise by
>>> RPI+n% next year.
>>>

>> yep. galloping stagflation, and that will be used by some as a reason
>> to rejoin the EU...
>>
>> ...However by all accounts the EU is in even worse condition.
>>

> Forex markets don't agree
Forex markets do not reflect the state of the economy or the cost of
living. They are almost entirely driven by arbitrage of base lending
rates in that currency, for all decent international ones.

and when the pound falls against both USD and
> Euro its a /direct/ (albeit often delayed) hike in the cost of
> everything we import using dollars and Euros - oil, gas, 40% of food,...

Re: Energy costs.

<t5uap2$bsl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52792&group=uk.d-i-y#52792

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 21:04:50 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Mon, 16 May 2022 20:04 UTC

On 11/05/2022 10:55, Robin wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 09:11, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> And then phone/broadband contracts, train prices, etc  will rise by
>>> RPI+n% next year.
>>>

>> yep. galloping stagflation, and that will be used by some as a reason
>> to rejoin the EU...
>>
>> ...However by all accounts the EU is in even worse condition.
>>

> Forex markets don't agree and when the pound falls against both USD and
> Euro its a /direct/ (albeit often delayed) hike in the cost of
> everything we import using dollars and Euros - oil, gas, 40% of food,...

Look at the USD, EUR and GBP currency charts for the last year and
you'll see a dollar cost 70p a year ago, and it's 80p now.

The Euro in the mean time has gone from 86p to 85p.

Whatever is being done wrong in Europe is the same inside and outside
the EU.

Andy

Re: Energy costs.

<t5vsm8$jc1$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52845&group=uk.d-i-y#52845

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:16:40 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 17 May 2022 10:16 UTC

On 16/05/2022 21:04, Vir Campestris wrote:
> Whatever is being done wrong in Europe is the same inside and outside
> the EU.

Renewable energy.

Murricans are still mining coal and fracking oil

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that
authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frédéric Bastiat

Re: Energy costs.

<t5vuhr$1o3$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52857&group=uk.d-i-y#52857

From: dennis.g...@gmail.com (critcher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:49:07 +0100
 by: critcher - Tue, 17 May 2022 10:49 UTC

On 11/05/2022 08:18, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Robin wrote:
>>
>>> I doubt even the RPI will beat 1975's 24.2%.
>>
>> I am beginning to think it will.
>
> And then phone/broadband contracts, train prices, etc  will rise by
> RPI+n% next year.

that is a rip off, BT charging cpi plus inflation is disgusting. they
should not be allowed to get away with profiteering like that.

Re: Energy costs.

<t60aqq$1nid$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52882&group=uk.d-i-y#52882

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 15:18:01 +0100
 by: Andrew - Tue, 17 May 2022 14:18 UTC

> On 16/05/2022 21:04, Vir Campestris wrote:
>> Whatever is being done wrong in Europe is the same inside and outside
>> the EU.
>
> Renewable energy.
>
> Murricans are still mining coal and fracking oil

And making a lot of noise about increasing interest rates and
unwinding some of the quantitative easing which combined with
the war in the Ukraine means speculators are piling into the
dollar.

last May it was $1.42 to the pound and now it is $1.22.

Re: Energy costs.

<t60au9$1nid$3@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52883&group=uk.d-i-y#52883

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 15:19:52 +0100
 by: Andrew - Tue, 17 May 2022 14:19 UTC

On 17/05/2022 11:49, critcher wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 08:18, Andy Burns wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> I am beginning to think it will.
>>
>> And then phone/broadband contracts, train prices, etc  will rise by
>> RPI+n% next year.
>>

> that is a rip off, BT charging cpi plus inflation is disgusting. they
> should not be allowed to get away with profiteering like that.

Most of them are. This was covered on Rip Off Britain on Monday by the
3 ladies. I think Tesco was the exception and possibly Vodaphone.