Love is not enough, but it sure helps.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

SubjectAuthor
* Securing a car stereo . . .RJH
+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Andy Burns
|`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .alan_m
| `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .williamwright
+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Brian
|+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .NY
||+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Dave Plowman (News)
|||+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Andy Burns
|||`- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Jock
||+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Dave Plowman (News)
|||+- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .jon
|||`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .NY
||| `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Dave Plowman (News)
||`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Brian
|| `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Steve Walker
||  `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Dave Plowman (News)
||   `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Steve Walker
||    +- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Jock
||    `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .alan_m
|+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .soup
||+- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .lacksey
||`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .NY
|| `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Rod Speed
|`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .RJH
| +- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .lacksey
| `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Brian
|  `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .lacksey
+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .TimW
|+- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .RJH
|`- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Brian
+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Adrian Caspersz
|`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .The Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Andy Burns
|  `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .The Natural Philosopher
`- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Andrew

Pages:12
Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5g2v8$qsf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52260&group=uk.d-i-y#52260

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Securing a car stereo . . .
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 10:25:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 11 May 2022 10:25 UTC

I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot Partner
with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not overly
flash, £260.

To make the installation easier/neater, I'll be removing part of the upper
dash. Would it be a good idea to screw the cage to the the unit from the top,
making it difficult to remove it using the normal keys? Removing the top of
the dash isn't difficult - it just clips in. But it's not likely a thief would
know that, or how it's 'stuck'.

I can't make up my mind whether it's better to risk a mangled dash or a stolen
radio in the event of a break-in. I'm not even sure if nicking radios is even
a thing any more. There doesn't seem to be any security on these aftermarket
stereos - not even a code if disconnected from the battery.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<je1hgcF9jg2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52261&group=uk.d-i-y#52261

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Securing a car stereo . . .
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 11:29:30 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 11 May 2022 10:29 UTC

RJH wrote:

> I'm not even sure if nicking radios is even a thing any more.
I was going to say exactly that.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5g9ca$dl7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52263&group=uk.d-i-y#52263

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 12:15:06 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:eir7113YxhG7fePPwsXjZ9x3J1s=
 by: Brian - Wed, 11 May 2022 12:15 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot Partner
> with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not overly
> flash, £260.
>
> To make the installation easier/neater, I'll be removing part of the upper
> dash. Would it be a good idea to screw the cage to the the unit from the top,
> making it difficult to remove it using the normal keys? Removing the top of
> the dash isn't difficult - it just clips in. But it's not likely a thief would
> know that, or how it's 'stuck'.
>
> I can't make up my mind whether it's better to risk a mangled dash or a stolen
> radio in the event of a break-in. I'm not even sure if nicking radios is even
> a thing any more. There doesn't seem to be any security on these aftermarket
> stereos - not even a code if disconnected from the battery.

OEM ones either have codes you must enter if power is lost or are linked to
the vehicle computer and need to be reprogrammed. Some rely on the fact
their fascias are part of the dashboard.

Aftermarket ones sometimes have removable fronts - my Espace had a Pioneer
one like that and my MX5 a Sony. I think our first motorhome JVC one also
unclipped but I never unclipped it.

As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A thief
who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it. Plus, there is
probably naff all solid to fix it to. I took apart the radio area of my
wife’s Aygo to fix a mount for her Sat Nav ( the Aygo relies on plugging
in your phone to use its screen for nav and she prefers the Garmin). The
whole area is plastic.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5gbut$1pp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52267&group=uk.d-i-y#52267

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 13:58:22 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 11 May 2022 12:58 UTC

"Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote in message news:t5g9ca$dl7$1@dont-email.me...
> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A thief
> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it. Plus, there is
> probably naff all solid to fix it to. I took apart the radio area of my
> wife’s Aygo to fix a mount for her Sat Nav ( the Aygo relies on plugging
> in your phone to use its screen for nav and she prefers the Garmin). The
> whole area is plastic.

When I fitted a hands-free mobile phone kit to the OEM radio in my Peugeot,
it was a long job trying to work out all the various screws that needed to
be undone and the clips that needed to be pushed aside (ideally with a
proper tool but I used a couple of small screwdriver blades) before the
radio can be removed. But a dedicated thief would use brute force where I
(naturally) used finesse ;-)

I remember the OEM radio fitted in my 1993 Mark 3 Golf had a removable front
panel. When I was parking, I *tried* to remember each time to remove it and
hide it (or take it with me, if I had my briefcase to put it in). It was
actually easier to press the button to remove it than it was to hit the
fairly small on/off button, so I tended to pop it into the released position
(released at one side, still latched on at the other side) to turn the radio
off ;-)

My dad had a car where the whole radio could be removed: it fitted into a
metal cage with sockets for power, aerial and speakers. He still had a thief
break in: nothing was stolen so the thief may have been looking to see if
dad had simply hidden the radio under the seat or in the glove box, rather
than taking it with him.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5gcgk$au4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52270&group=uk.d-i-y#52270

From: tim...@nothanks.com (TimW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:08:36 +0100
 by: TimW - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:08 UTC

On 11/05/2022 11:25, RJH wrote:
> I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot Partner
> with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not overly
> flash, £260.

[...]

Does DAB work now? did they get it going in the end? I had no idea.

TW

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<59e6ecab4ddave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52271&group=uk.d-i-y#52271

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:13:13 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:13 UTC

In article <t5gbut$1pp$1@dont-email.me>,
NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> I remember the OEM radio fitted in my 1993 Mark 3 Golf had a removable
> front panel. When I was parking, I *tried* to remember each time to
> remove it and hide it (or take it with me, if I had my briefcase to put
> it in). It was actually easier to press the button to remove it than it
> was to hit the fairly small on/off button, so I tended to pop it into
> the released position (released at one side, still latched on at the
> other side) to turn the radio off ;-)

I have that on the aftermarket radio in the old Rover. But its real thief
proof feature is it takes a memory card. Which you can play your own music
from etc. But also takes a supplied coded card which you need to activate
it after being totally powered down. And I keep that in the house.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<59e6eccfd1dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52272&group=uk.d-i-y#52272

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:14:47 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:14 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> My dad had a car where the whole radio could be removed: it fitted into a
> metal cage with sockets for power, aerial and speakers. He still had a thief
> break in: nothing was stolen so the thief may have been looking to see if
> dad had simply hidden the radio under the seat or in the glove box, rather
> than taking it with him.

I remember similar which became a 'normal' portable radio when removed.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5gd7i$m4h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52273&group=uk.d-i-y#52273

From: jon...@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 13:20:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:20 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 14:14:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> In article <t5gbut$1pp$1@dont-email.me>,
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> My dad had a car where the whole radio could be removed: it fitted into
>> a metal cage with sockets for power, aerial and speakers. He still had
>> a thief break in: nothing was stolen so the thief may have been looking
>> to see if dad had simply hidden the radio under the seat or in the
>> glove box, rather than taking it with him.
>
> I remember similar which became a 'normal' portable radio when removed.

I had an Ever Ready radio with quick release stolen in 1961, the scrotes
broke the quarter light.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<je1rrfFbe3qU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52274&group=uk.d-i-y#52274

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:26:05 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:26 UTC

Dave Plowman wrote:

> its real thief
> proof feature is it takes a memory card. Which you can play your own music
> from etc. But also takes a supplied coded card which you need to activate
> it after being totally powered down. And I keep that in the house.

How doe you make a thief aware of that before they break into the car?

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5geva$mk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52276&group=uk.d-i-y#52276

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:50:36 +0100
 by: soup - Wed, 11 May 2022 13:50 UTC

On 11/05/2022 14:26, Andy Burns wrote:
> Dave Plowman wrote:
>
>> its real thief
>> proof feature is it takes a memory card. Which you can play your own
>> music
>> from etc. But also takes a supplied coded card which you need to activate
>> it after being totally powered down. And I keep that in the house.
>
> How doe you make a thief aware of that before they break into the car?

Wee window sticker?

Warning this car's stereo is equipped with a "willnae start" system.

We have similar in that it advertises a dashcam system is installed, so
don't bother starting any insurance type item.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5gfkg$dik$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52277&group=uk.d-i-y#52277

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:01:54 +0100
 by: soup - Wed, 11 May 2022 14:01 UTC

On 11/05/2022 13:15, Brian wrote:

> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A thief
> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it.

That is very true.

Indeed a thief who wants into YOUR home will do it even if the only way

to do it is make a hole in the wall.

Normally all you can do is make it so difficult for a thief who wants A
radio that he will find it easier to move along to the next guys car and
nick his.
Just make it as difficult as possible and don't lose sleep.

There is another chain of thought that you should make access as easy as
possible down to the level of leaving your car doors open so that all
you lose is the radio not all the damage that could be inflicted gaining
access to it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10321237/San-Francisco-car-owners-leaving-trunks-open-avoid-having-windows-smashed.html

no idea of it's sensationalism or anything just the first link that came
up in a Google search

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5gjmu$26k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52285&group=uk.d-i-y#52285

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:11:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 11 May 2022 15:11 UTC

On 11 May 2022 at 14:08:36 BST, "TimW" <timw@nothanks.com> wrote:

> On 11/05/2022 11:25, RJH wrote:
>> I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot Partner
>> with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not overly
>> flash, £260.
>
> [...]
>
> Does DAB work now? did they get it going in the end? I had no idea.

I'll install it in the next couple of days - I'll post back.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5gk51$a6p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52286&group=uk.d-i-y#52286

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:18:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 11 May 2022 15:18 UTC

On 11 May 2022 at 13:15:06 BST, "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>> I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot Partner
>> with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not overly
>> flash, £260.
>>
>> To make the installation easier/neater, I'll be removing part of the upper
>> dash. Would it be a good idea to screw the cage to the the unit from the top,
>> making it difficult to remove it using the normal keys? Removing the top of
>> the dash isn't difficult - it just clips in. But it's not likely a thief would
>> know that, or how it's 'stuck'.
>>
>> I can't make up my mind whether it's better to risk a mangled dash or a stolen
>> radio in the event of a break-in. I'm not even sure if nicking radios is even
>> a thing any more. There doesn't seem to be any security on these aftermarket
>> stereos - not even a code if disconnected from the battery.
>>

> OEM ones either have codes you must enter if power is lost or are linked to
> the vehicle computer and need to be reprogrammed. Some rely on the fact
> their fascias are part of the dashboard.

Yes, the existing OEM radio is like that. I'd assume most are. This one isn't.

> Aftermarket ones sometimes have removable fronts - my Espace had a Pioneer
> one like that and my MX5 a Sony. I think our first motorhome JVC one also
> unclipped but I never unclipped it.

Yes, I used to have one. But not seen it on double DIN. Daft really - even
just a *part* of the facia that leaves it useless if removed. Or as Dave
Plowman says, a necessary SD card. I really can't see why they don't seem to
do it (from the fairly brief look I've had).

> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A thief
> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it. Plus, there is
> probably naff all solid to fix it to. I took apart the radio area of my
> wife’s Aygo to fix a mount for her Sat Nav ( the Aygo relies on plugging
> in your phone to use its screen for nav and she prefers the Garmin). The
> whole area is plastic.

Yes, it is (of course) plastic. But it really isn't going to come out easily
without damaging the unit, as there's nothing to grab on to if the keys don't
work. It's that line between not wrecking the dash and giving up. I shouldn't
think they want to hang around for the sake of what can't be much more than a
few quid.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<59e6f974a4dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52287&group=uk.d-i-y#52287

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 16:32:53 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 11 May 2022 15:32 UTC

In article <je1rrfFbe3qU1@mid.individual.net>,
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Dave Plowman wrote:

> > its real thief
> > proof feature is it takes a memory card. Which you can play your own music
> > from etc. But also takes a supplied coded card which you need to activate
> > it after being totally powered down. And I keep that in the house.

> How doe you make a thief aware of that before they break into the car?

Given every car has a radio these days, I'd guess the few that are stolen
are so to order?

Thieves seem clever enough to steal modern cars with sophisticated
immobilisers easily enough, so I'd guess they'd know one radio from
another?

But the real pleasure is knowing if it were stolen it would likely be of
little use to them. ;-)

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l0jathmc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52291&group=uk.d-i-y#52291

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 02:41:07 +1000
 by: Jock - Wed, 11 May 2022 16:41 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 23:13:13 +1000, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <t5gbut$1pp$1@dont-email.me>,
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> I remember the OEM radio fitted in my 1993 Mark 3 Golf had a removable
>> front panel. When I was parking, I *tried* to remember each time to
>> remove it and hide it (or take it with me, if I had my briefcase to put
>> it in). It was actually easier to press the button to remove it than it
>> was to hit the fairly small on/off button, so I tended to pop it into
>> the released position (released at one side, still latched on at the
>> other side) to turn the radio off ;-)
>
> I have that on the aftermarket radio in the old Rover. But its real thief
> proof feature is it takes a memory card. Which you can play your own
> music
> from etc. But also takes a supplied coded card which you need to activate
> it after being totally powered down. And I keep that in the house.

But a thief wouldnt necessarily know that, so you would still lose the
car stereo and have a wrecked dash and just know that the thief would
not be able to use it if they can't just google how to unlock it.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l0jh6pgc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52292&group=uk.d-i-y#52292

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 02:45:32 +1000
 by: Jock - Wed, 11 May 2022 16:45 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 23:50:36 +1000, soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 11/05/2022 14:26, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Dave Plowman wrote:
>>
>>> its real thief
>>> proof feature is it takes a memory card. Which you can play your own
>>> music
>>> from etc. But also takes a supplied coded card which you need to
>>> activate
>>> it after being totally powered down. And I keep that in the house.
>> How doe you make a thief aware of that before they break into the car?
>
> Wee window sticker?
>
> Warning this car's stereo is equipped with a "willnae start" system.
>
> We have similar in that it advertises a dashcam system is installed, so
> don't bother starting any insurance type item.

But no way to ensure that the average scrote will read them.

Guess you could have the car broadcast and audio warning
when it detects someone trying to break in, but even then,
I bet the local kids would trigger it deliberately when they
find out about that.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l0j3yz8x9d686@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52293&group=uk.d-i-y#52293

From: lki...@gmail.com (lacksey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 02:58:36 +1000
 by: lacksey - Wed, 11 May 2022 16:58 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 00:01:54 +1000, soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 11/05/2022 13:15, Brian wrote:
>
>> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A
>> thief
>> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it.
>
> That is very true.
>
> Indeed a thief who wants into YOUR home will do it even if the only way
> to do it is make a hole in the wall.

Few bother and just break into your neighbour's place which is easier
unless they know you are a diamond merchant or drug dealer etc.

> Normally all you can do is make it so difficult for a thief who wants A
> radio that he will find it easier to move along to the next guys car and
> nick his.
> Just make it as difficult as possible and don't lose sleep.

Trouble is with a car, they will only know it is too hard
after they have smashed the window and the dash.

> There is another chain of thought that you should make access as easy as
> possible down to the level of leaving your car doors open so that all
> you lose is the radio not all the damage that could be inflicted gaining
> access to it.

Yeah, mate of mine went that route, but it can get expensive
buying new radios.

> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10321237/San-Francisco-car-owners-leaving-trunks-open-avoid-having-windows-smashed.html

> no idea of it's sensationalism or anything

Likely with the Daily Wail.

> just the first link that came up in a Google search

What might work is a decent car alarm that allows you
to actually talk to the thief and tell them that they are
being recorded and be able to say that you have just
seen them taking the taceplate off the stereo so they
know that it isnt just a bluff recording.

Or have a fucking great Alsatian in the car when it
isn't parked in your yard and in the yard when the
car is parked in your yard. Not cheap to feed tho.

Better to have an easily removable stereo and have
a dead dummy off ebay that you put in the good one's
place when you leave the car. Or even just a plastic
bin that slots in when the stereo goes which you
replace the stereo with the bin when you lock the car.

Interesting DIY project, one that does that completely
automatically when you lock the car. Shouldn't be that
hard to do.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l0kqsswx9d686@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52299&group=uk.d-i-y#52299

From: lki...@gmail.com (lacksey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 03:12:18 +1000
 by: lacksey - Wed, 11 May 2022 17:12 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 01:18:57 +1000, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 11 May 2022 at 13:15:06 BST, "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>
>> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot
>>> Partner
>>> with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not
>>> overly
>>> flash, £260.
>>>
>>> To make the installation easier/neater, I'll be removing part of the
>>> upper
>>> dash. Would it be a good idea to screw the cage to the the unit from
>>> the top,
>>> making it difficult to remove it using the normal keys? Removing the
>>> top of
>>> the dash isn't difficult - it just clips in. But it's not likely a
>>> thief would
>>> know that, or how it's 'stuck'.
>>>
>>> I can't make up my mind whether it's better to risk a mangled dash or
>>> a stolen
>>> radio in the event of a break-in. I'm not even sure if nicking radios
>>> is even
>>> a thing any more. There doesn't seem to be any security on these
>>> aftermarket
>>> stereos - not even a code if disconnected from the battery.
>>>

>> OEM ones either have codes you must enter if power is lost or are
>> linked to
>> the vehicle computer and need to be reprogrammed. Some rely on the fact
>> their fascias are part of the dashboard.
>>

> Yes, the existing OEM radio is like that. I'd assume most are. This one
> isn't.
>
>> Aftermarket ones sometimes have removable fronts - my Espace had a
>> Pioneer
>> one like that and my MX5 a Sony. I think our first motorhome JVC one
>> also
>> unclipped but I never unclipped it.
>>

> Yes, I used to have one. But not seen it on double DIN. Daft really -
> even
> just a *part* of the facia that leaves it useless if removed.

Yeah, specially if it looks broken with that bit removed.

> Or as Dave
> Plowman says, a necessary SD card. I really can't see why they don't
> seem to
> do it (from the fairly brief look I've had).

Can't see that being viable given that the scrote only discovers that
after it has stolen the stereo and wrecked the dash in the process.

>> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A
>> thief
>> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it. Plus, there
>> is
>> probably naff all solid to fix it to. I took apart the radio area of my
>> wife’s Aygo to fix a mount for her Sat Nav ( the Aygo relies on
>> plugging
>> in your phone to use its screen for nav and she prefers the Garmin). The
>> whole area is plastic.
>
> Yes, it is (of course) plastic. But it really isn't going to come out
> easily
> without damaging the unit, as there's nothing to grab on to if the keys
> don't
> work. It's that line between not wrecking the dash and giving up. I
> shouldn't
> think they want to hang around for the sake of what can't be much more
> than a
> few quid.

Specially with the car alarm deafening them.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l0kvabux9d686@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52300&group=uk.d-i-y#52300

From: lki...@gmail.com (lacksey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 03:15:00 +1000
 by: lacksey - Wed, 11 May 2022 17:15 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 01:32:53 +1000, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <je1rrfFbe3qU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Dave Plowman wrote:
>
>> > its real thief
>> > proof feature is it takes a memory card. Which you can play your own
>> music
>> > from etc. But also takes a supplied coded card which you need to
>> activate
>> > it after being totally powered down. And I keep that in the house.
>
>> How doe you make a thief aware of that before they break into the car?
>
> Given every car has a radio these days, I'd guess the few that are stolen
> are so to order?
>
> Thieves seem clever enough to steal modern cars with sophisticated
> immobilisers easily enough, so I'd guess they'd know one radio from
> another?

A good reason to get an obscure one, or one with an easily removable
face plate and replace the original face plate with a modified one

> But the real pleasure is knowing if it were stolen it would likely be of
> little use to them. ;-)

Much better to know that no one would pinch it.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5h4ae$79l$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52314&group=uk.d-i-y#52314

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 19:54:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1eRymZbSnpRMrKflFFkbPB4SOuc=
 by: Brian - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:54 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote in message news:t5g9ca$dl7$1@dont-email.me...
>> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A thief
>> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it. Plus, there is
>> probably naff all solid to fix it to. I took apart the radio area of my
>> wife’s Aygo to fix a mount for her Sat Nav ( the Aygo relies on plugging
>> in your phone to use its screen for nav and she prefers the Garmin). The
>> whole area is plastic.
>
> When I fitted a hands-free mobile phone kit to the OEM radio in my Peugeot,
> it was a long job trying to work out all the various screws that needed to
> be undone and the clips that needed to be pushed aside (ideally with a
> proper tool but I used a couple of small screwdriver blades) before the
> radio can be removed. But a dedicated thief would use brute force where I
> (naturally) used finesse ;-)
>
> I remember the OEM radio fitted in my 1993 Mark 3 Golf had a removable front
> panel. When I was parking, I *tried* to remember each time to remove it and
> hide it (or take it with me, if I had my briefcase to put it in). It was
> actually easier to press the button to remove it than it was to hit the
> fairly small on/off button, so I tended to pop it into the released position
> (released at one side, still latched on at the other side) to turn the radio
> off ;-)
>
> My dad had a car where the whole radio could be removed: it fitted into a
> metal cage with sockets for power, aerial and speakers. He still had a thief
> break in: nothing was stolen so the thief may have been looking to see if
> dad had simply hidden the radio under the seat or in the glove box, rather
> than taking it with him.

I suspect an accomplished thief would have a radio out with almost no tools
in seconds and an amateur would take a little longer using anything to hand
and wrecking the dash in the process.

I’ve heard of radios going while people are paying for petrol.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5h4ae$79l$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52315&group=uk.d-i-y#52315

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 19:54:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Cqm/2IdBMW4s7ONHPHb70RvzlMY=
 by: Brian - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:54 UTC

TimW <timw@nothanks.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 11:25, RJH wrote:
>> I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot Partner
>> with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not overly
>> flash, £260.
>
> [...]
>
> Does DAB work now? did they get it going in the end? I had no idea.
>
> TW

It works very well. I almost never use FM in the car. I can’t remember the
last time I used it at home - years.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5h73i$rsn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52316&group=uk.d-i-y#52316

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 21:41:33 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 11 May 2022 20:41 UTC

"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <t5gbut$1pp$1@dont-email.me>,
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> My dad had a car where the whole radio could be removed: it fitted into a
>> metal cage with sockets for power, aerial and speakers. He still had a
>> thief
>> break in: nothing was stolen so the thief may have been looking to see if
>> dad had simply hidden the radio under the seat or in the glove box,
>> rather
>> than taking it with him.
>
> I remember similar which became a 'normal' portable radio when removed.

I'm wondering whether the one in dad's car (might have been his Corsair or
one of his Hillman Hunters) could be used as a self-contained radio. I
wonder how much space there was inside the standard car-radio form-factor
for a rechargeable battery and how long that charge of batteries of late 60s
/ early 70s technology.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5h7hh$uv2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52317&group=uk.d-i-y#52317

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 21:49:00 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 11 May 2022 20:49 UTC

"soup" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> There is another chain of thought that you should make access as easy as
> possible down to the level of leaving your car doors open so that all
> you lose is the radio not all the damage that could be inflicted gaining
> access to it.

It's tempting to say (if we had any confidence in the court and prison
system) that we should make it as easy for criminals to commit crimes as
possible so we can gather evidence to convict them and get them off the
streets where they can do no further harm. Sadly such "entrapment" is not
allowed...

I have only had my car broken into once. I'd parked it with one side close
to a wall. After mashing the door lock on the driver's side, the thief
eventually broke a window on the passenger side (where there was only about
a foot clearance) so he must have been a contortionist. I hope he had as
much trouble getting back out through the window again - because the car had
deadlocks so once he'd got in, he wouldn't have been able to open the doors
from the inside, and it had electric rather than manual windows, so no
escape that way either. Nothing was taken, and no further damage was done,
but it meant all the locks (including glove box, boot and petrol cap) had to
be replaced. All covered by insurance.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5hd7r$7dp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52319&group=uk.d-i-y#52319

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 23:27:07 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Wed, 11 May 2022 22:27 UTC

On 11/05/2022 20:54, Brian wrote:
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote in message news:t5g9ca$dl7$1@dont-email.me...
>>> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A thief
>>> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it. Plus, there is
>>> probably naff all solid to fix it to. I took apart the radio area of my
>>> wife’s Aygo to fix a mount for her Sat Nav ( the Aygo relies on plugging
>>> in your phone to use its screen for nav and she prefers the Garmin). The
>>> whole area is plastic.
>>
>> When I fitted a hands-free mobile phone kit to the OEM radio in my Peugeot,
>> it was a long job trying to work out all the various screws that needed to
>> be undone and the clips that needed to be pushed aside (ideally with a
>> proper tool but I used a couple of small screwdriver blades) before the
>> radio can be removed. But a dedicated thief would use brute force where I
>> (naturally) used finesse ;-)
>>
>> I remember the OEM radio fitted in my 1993 Mark 3 Golf had a removable front
>> panel. When I was parking, I *tried* to remember each time to remove it and
>> hide it (or take it with me, if I had my briefcase to put it in). It was
>> actually easier to press the button to remove it than it was to hit the
>> fairly small on/off button, so I tended to pop it into the released position
>> (released at one side, still latched on at the other side) to turn the radio
>> off ;-)
>>
>> My dad had a car where the whole radio could be removed: it fitted into a
>> metal cage with sockets for power, aerial and speakers. He still had a thief
>> break in: nothing was stolen so the thief may have been looking to see if
>> dad had simply hidden the radio under the seat or in the glove box, rather
>> than taking it with him.
>>

> I suspect an accomplished thief would have a radio out with almost no tools
> in seconds and an amateur would take a little longer using anything to hand
> and wrecking the dash in the process.
>
> I’ve heard of radios going while people are paying for petrol.

Back in the '80s/'90s, thieves supposedly carried pieces of wood with
four nails in. Slap it on the front of the radio and the four nails went
into the four holes and released the locking tags; pull the radio and
out it came. Done in a few seconds.

I certainly released my own radio, in not much longer, using four loose
nails.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l0zgklkbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52320&group=uk.d-i-y#52320

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:30:10 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 11 May 2022 22:30 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote

>> There is another chain of thought that you should make access as easy as
>> possible down to the level of leaving your car doors open so that all
>> you lose is the radio not all the damage that could be inflicted gaining
>> access to it.

> It's tempting to say (if we had any confidence in the court and prison
> system) that we should make it as easy for criminals to commit crimes as
> possible so we can gather evidence to convict them and get them off the
> streets where they can do no further harm. Sadly such "entrapment" is
> not allowed...

It is in a number of jurisdictions, particularly with stolen cars.