It's the RINSE CYCLE!! They've ALL IGNORED the RINSE CYCLE!!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

SubjectAuthor
* Securing a car stereo . . .RJH
+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Andy Burns
|`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .alan_m
| `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .williamwright
+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Brian
|+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .NY
||+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Dave Plowman (News)
|||+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Andy Burns
|||`- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Jock
||+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Dave Plowman (News)
|||+- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .jon
|||`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .NY
||| `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Dave Plowman (News)
||`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Brian
|| `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Steve Walker
||  `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Dave Plowman (News)
||   `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Steve Walker
||    +- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Jock
||    `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .alan_m
|+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .soup
||+- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .lacksey
||`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .NY
|| `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Rod Speed
|`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .RJH
| +- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .lacksey
| `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Brian
|  `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .lacksey
+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .TimW
|+- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .RJH
|`- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Brian
+* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Adrian Caspersz
|`* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .The Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Andy Burns
|  `- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .The Natural Philosopher
`- Re: Securing a car stereo . . .Andrew

Pages:12
Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<je3eckFkkrqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52323&group=uk.d-i-y#52323

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Securing a car stereo . . .
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 04:48:36 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 12 May 2022 03:48 UTC

On 11/05/2022 14:50, soup wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 14:26, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Dave Plowman wrote:
>>
>>> its real thief
>>> proof feature is it takes a memory card. Which you can play your own
>>> music
>>> from etc. But also takes a supplied coded card which you need to
>>> activate
>>> it after being totally powered down. And I keep that in the house.
>>
>> How doe you make a thief aware of that before they break into the car?
>
>  Wee window sticker?
>
> Warning this car's stereo is equipped with a "willnae start" system.

Never heard of it so it must be a up-market unit feature and worth
smashing the window to nick it!

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<je3eosFkkrqU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52324&group=uk.d-i-y#52324

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 04:55:07 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 12 May 2022 03:55 UTC

On 11/05/2022 11:29, Andy Burns wrote:

> RJH wrote:
>
>> I'm not even sure if nicking radios is even a thing any more.
> I was going to say exactly that.

+1
With even base model cars being fitted with a radio or media player
these days the market for a stolen radio must be very limited.

More likely to have a car broken into if you have a mobile phone or
maybe a removable sat nav on display in a holder that takes seconds to
disconnect.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5i9pb$v7j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52325&group=uk.d-i-y#52325

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 07:34:18 +0100
 by: soup - Thu, 12 May 2022 06:34 UTC

On 11/05/2022 17:45, Jock wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2022 23:50:36 +1000, soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

>>>  How doe you make a thief aware of that before they break into the car?
>>
>>   Wee window sticker?
>>
>> Warning this car's stereo is equipped with a "willnae start" system.
>>
>> We have similar in that it advertises a dashcam system is installed,
>> so don't bother starting any insurance type item.
>
> But no way to ensure that the average scrote will read them.

You can only do so much.

Shit does happen only thing is, to do what you can, and not lose sleep
over it.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l1mgxwrc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52326&group=uk.d-i-y#52326

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 16:47:11 +1000
 by: Jock - Thu, 12 May 2022 06:47 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 16:34:18 +1000, soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 11/05/2022 17:45, Jock wrote:

>>> Wee window sticker?
>>>
>>> Warning this car's stereo is equipped with a "willnae start" system.
>>>
>>> We have similar in that it advertises a dashcam system is installed,
>>> so don't bother starting any insurance type item.
>> But no way to ensure that the average scrote will read them.
>
> You can only do so much.
>
> Shit does happen only thing is, to do what you can, and not lose sleep
> over it.

Shouldn't be hard to make it look like you broke it trying to get it out
to fix it when it stopped working.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<59e7603ebfdave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52343&group=uk.d-i-y#52343

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:15:37 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 12 May 2022 10:15 UTC

In article <t5h73i$rsn$1@dont-email.me>,
NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <t5gbut$1pp$1@dont-email.me>,
> > NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> >> My dad had a car where the whole radio could be removed: it fitted into a
> >> metal cage with sockets for power, aerial and speakers. He still had a
> >> thief
> >> break in: nothing was stolen so the thief may have been looking to see if
> >> dad had simply hidden the radio under the seat or in the glove box,
> >> rather
> >> than taking it with him.
> >
> > I remember similar which became a 'normal' portable radio when removed.

> I'm wondering whether the one in dad's car (might have been his Corsair or
> one of his Hillman Hunters) could be used as a self-contained radio. I
> wonder how much space there was inside the standard car-radio form-factor
> for a rechargeable battery and how long that charge of batteries of late 60s
> / early 70s technology.

One I remember ran on ordinary dry cells. Installing it on the car changed
to the car battery, connected the car aerial and an external speaker.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<59e7605c85dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52344&group=uk.d-i-y#52344

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:16:53 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 12 May 2022 10:16 UTC

In article <t5hd7r$7dp$1@dont-email.me>,
Steve Walker <steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:
> Back in the '80s/'90s, thieves supposedly carried pieces of wood with
> four nails in. Slap it on the front of the radio and the four nails went
> into the four holes and released the locking tags; pull the radio and
> out it came. Done in a few seconds.

Why would they bother when you could buy the correct 'U' tools in Halfords
for pennies?

--
*DON'T SWEAT THE PETTY THINGS AND DON'T PET THE SWEATY THINGS.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5ipi4$85f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52352&group=uk.d-i-y#52352

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 12:03:33 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Thu, 12 May 2022 11:03 UTC

> In article <t5hd7r$7dp$1@dont-email.me>,
> Steve Walker <steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:
>> Back in the '80s/'90s, thieves supposedly carried pieces of wood with
>> four nails in. Slap it on the front of the radio and the four nails went
>> into the four holes and released the locking tags; pull the radio and
>> out it came. Done in a few seconds.
>
> Why would they bother when you could buy the correct 'U' tools in Halfords
> for pennies?

Presumably, because it immediately positioned all four nails at the same
time, so was quicker than the correct tools and, could be thrown away
and replaced at home, to avoid being caught in position of tools to
commit a crime. It might also be considered suspicious for a young
teenager, below driving age, to be attempting to buy radio removal tools.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<je49atFpiqvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52356&group=uk.d-i-y#52356

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 12:28:29 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 12 May 2022 11:28 UTC

On 11/05/2022 11:25, RJH wrote:
> I can't make up my mind whether it's better to risk a mangled dash or a stolen
> radio in the event of a break-in. I'm not even sure if nicking radios is even
> a thing any more.

Unfortunately, nicking the whole car, van or bike is very much the thing
these days. They can be butchered for high value parts in the comfort of
a garage.

e.g.

Stolen BMW M2, where bandits outsmart BMW security systems using relay
theft technique - AutomatricsMTrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdGoxDPMv9Y

--
Adrian C

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5j0pn$164$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52361&group=uk.d-i-y#52361

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 13:07:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MBG2wLKtIdHE3gLrTTUIp/ozqOo=
 by: Brian - Thu, 12 May 2022 13:07 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 11 May 2022 at 13:15:06 BST, "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>
>> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot Partner
>>> with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not overly
>>> flash, £260.
>>>
>>> To make the installation easier/neater, I'll be removing part of the upper
>>> dash. Would it be a good idea to screw the cage to the the unit from the top,
>>> making it difficult to remove it using the normal keys? Removing the top of
>>> the dash isn't difficult - it just clips in. But it's not likely a thief would
>>> know that, or how it's 'stuck'.
>>>
>>> I can't make up my mind whether it's better to risk a mangled dash or a stolen
>>> radio in the event of a break-in. I'm not even sure if nicking radios is even
>>> a thing any more. There doesn't seem to be any security on these aftermarket
>>> stereos - not even a code if disconnected from the battery.
>>>

>> OEM ones either have codes you must enter if power is lost or are linked to
>> the vehicle computer and need to be reprogrammed. Some rely on the fact
>> their fascias are part of the dashboard.
>>

> Yes, the existing OEM radio is like that. I'd assume most are. This one isn't.
>
>> Aftermarket ones sometimes have removable fronts - my Espace had a Pioneer
>> one like that and my MX5 a Sony. I think our first motorhome JVC one also
>> unclipped but I never unclipped it.
>>

> Yes, I used to have one. But not seen it on double DIN. Daft really - even
> just a *part* of the facia that leaves it useless if removed. Or as Dave
> Plowman says, a necessary SD card. I really can't see why they don't seem to
> do it (from the fairly brief look I've had).
>
>> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A thief
>> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it. Plus, there is
>> probably naff all solid to fix it to. I took apart the radio area of my
>> wife’s Aygo to fix a mount for her Sat Nav ( the Aygo relies on plugging
>> in your phone to use its screen for nav and she prefers the Garmin). The
>> whole area is plastic.
>
> Yes, it is (of course) plastic. But it really isn't going to come out easily
> without damaging the unit, as there's nothing to grab on to if the keys don't
> work. It's that line between not wrecking the dash and giving up. I shouldn't
> think they want to hang around for the sake of what can't be much more than a
> few quid.

An individual radio is, at a guess, worth under well under £100 - given it
is stolen and you can get a new ( basic one) for that. But they don’t ‘do’
just one car, they ‘do’ an area- read a local newspaper. Plus, to the type
of people involved, it is easy money - often for drugs etc.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5j53e$uak$3@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52366&group=uk.d-i-y#52366

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 15:20:30 +0100
 by: Andrew - Thu, 12 May 2022 14:20 UTC

On 11/05/2022 11:25, RJH wrote:
> I'll be replacing the standard CD/FM single din radio in my Peugeot Partner
> with a double din DAB Carplay unit in the next couple of days - not overly
> flash, £260.

:-) That will double it's value, just like filling the tank of a Skoda.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5ja4m$80i$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52371&group=uk.d-i-y#52371

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 16:46:30 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 12 May 2022 15:46 UTC

On 12/05/2022 12:28, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 11:25, RJH wrote:
>> I can't make up my mind whether it's better to risk a mangled dash or
>> a stolen
>> radio in the event of a break-in. I'm not even sure if nicking radios
>> is even
>> a thing any more.
>
> Unfortunately, nicking the whole car, van or bike is very much the thing
> these days. They can be butchered for high value parts in the comfort of
> a garage.
>
> e.g.
>
>  Stolen BMW M2, where bandits outsmart BMW security systems using relay
> theft technique -  AutomatricsMTrack
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdGoxDPMv9Y

I tend to not lock the car on the basis that if I dont use the remote no
one can scan it - they still need the code to drive it away

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<je4phfFshrnU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52372&group=uk.d-i-y#52372

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:05:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 12 May 2022 16:05 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> I tend to not lock the car on the basis that if I dont use the remote no one can
> scan it - they still need the code to drive it away

What can they do via the OBD-II socket though? Reprogram their own key to the
car I should think ...

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l2htahkc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52383&group=uk.d-i-y#52383

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 04:04:12 +1000
 by: Jock - Thu, 12 May 2022 18:04 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 21:03:33 +1000, Steve Walker
<steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:

> On 12/05/2022 11:16, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article <t5hd7r$7dp$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Steve Walker <steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:
>>> Back in the '80s/'90s, thieves supposedly carried pieces of wood with
>>> four nails in. Slap it on the front of the radio and the four nails
>>> went
>>> into the four holes and released the locking tags; pull the radio and
>>> out it came. Done in a few seconds.
>> Why would they bother when you could buy the correct 'U' tools in
>> Halfords
>> for pennies?
>
> Presumably, because it immediately positioned all four nails at the same
> time, so was quicker than the correct tools and, could be thrown away
> and replaced at home,

> to avoid being caught in position of tools to commit a crime.

That's silly because it would apply to a screwdriver too.

> It might also be considered suspicious for a young teenager,below
> driving age, to be attempting to buy radio removal tools.

Even sillier. He can just say his dad sent him to get it because his
dad had to be at work etc.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<op.1l2h9vt2x9d686@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52384&group=uk.d-i-y#52384

From: lki...@gmail.com (lacksey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 04:14:09 +1000
 by: lacksey - Thu, 12 May 2022 18:14 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 23:07:03 +1000, Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> OEM ones either have codes you must enter if power is lost or are
>>> linked to
>>> the vehicle computer and need to be reprogrammed. Some rely on the
>>> fact
>>> their fascias are part of the dashboard.
>>>

>> Yes, the existing OEM radio is like that. I'd assume most are. This one
>> isn't.
>>
>>> Aftermarket ones sometimes have removable fronts - my Espace had a
>>> Pioneer
>>> one like that and my MX5 a Sony. I think our first motorhome JVC one
>>> also
>>> unclipped but I never unclipped it.
>>>

>> Yes, I used to have one. But not seen it on double DIN. Daft really -
>> even
>> just a *part* of the facia that leaves it useless if removed. Or as Dave
>> Plowman says, a necessary SD card. I really can't see why they don't
>> seem to
>> do it (from the fairly brief look I've had).
>>
>>> As for theft, yes it still happens, especially after market ones. A
>>> thief
>>> who wants YOUR radio will destroy your dashboard to get it. Plus,
>>> there is
>>> probably naff all solid to fix it to. I took apart the radio area of
>>> my
>>> wife’s Aygo to fix a mount for her Sat Nav ( the Aygo relies on
>>> plugging
>>> in your phone to use its screen for nav and she prefers the Garmin).
>>> The
>>> whole area is plastic.
>>
>> Yes, it is (of course) plastic. But it really isn't going to come out
>> easily
>> without damaging the unit, as there's nothing to grab on to if the keys
>> don't
>> work. It's that line between not wrecking the dash and giving up. I
>> shouldn't
>> think they want to hang around for the sake of what can't be much more
>> than a
>> few quid.
>>

> An individual radio is, at a guess, worth under well under £100 - given
> it
> is stolen and you can get a new ( basic one) for that.

> But they don’t ‘do’
> just one car, they ‘do’ an area- read a local newspaper.

Don't believe that that is happening anymore, gotta link ?

> Plus, to the type
> of people involved, it is easy money

Unlikely anyone would be paying for a load of stolen radios today
given that very few even very basic cars don't come with one now.

> - often for drugs etc.

Yes, but not enough income to buy any with.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<t5llf5$uvc$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52424&group=uk.d-i-y#52424

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:12:05 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 13 May 2022 13:12 UTC

On 12/05/2022 17:05, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> I tend to not lock the car on the basis that if I dont use the remote
>> no one can scan it - they still need the code to drive it away
>
> What can they do via the OBD-II socket though?  Reprogram their own key
> to the car I should think ...
No, I don't think they can. IIRC from a video on that subject they have
to get a code from the manufacturer based on the VIN and that code will
only be released to third parties licensed by the manufacturer and they
will normally turn up to do it.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<jefu7eF27hpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52805&group=uk.d-i-y#52805

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 22:32:30 +0100
 by: alan_m - Mon, 16 May 2022 21:32 UTC

On 12/05/2022 12:03, Steve Walker wrote:

> It might also be considered suspicious for a young
> teenager, below driving age, to be attempting to buy radio removal tools.

Er, just buy from Ebay - no questions asked.

Re: Securing a car stereo . . .

<jegdesF4u55U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52816&group=uk.d-i-y#52816

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:52:29 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 17 May 2022 01:52 UTC

On 12/05/2022 04:55, alan_m wrote:
> More likely to have a car broken into if you have a mobile phone or
> maybe a removable sat nav on display

Ah yes, satnavs! I remember them.

Bill