From: 84ffbcd8...@example.com (countrywill)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Cordless Drill Battery
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 15:01:42 +0000
 by: countrywill - Thu, 12 May 2022 15:01 UTC

> tagged sub C cells
The cheapest place to buy tagged sub C cells is Alliexpress but make sure you buy ones with the highest Ah as these will last longer

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/cordless-drill-battery-589000-.htm

Re: Cordless Drill Battery

<t5jeim$edu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52377&group=uk.d-i-y#52377

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 18:02:13 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 12 May 2022 17:02 UTC

On 12/05/2022 16:01, countrywill wrote:

>> tagged sub C cells

> The cheapest place to buy tagged sub C cells is Alliexpress

Quite possibly these days, but possibly not 12 years ago when the
question was asked!

> but make
> sure you buy ones with the highest Ah as these will last longer

In theory higher capacity will give longer run time, but there is much
more to it than that.

Firstly some Chinese manufacturers will "inflate" (i.e. lie about) the
Ah rating. Many won't come close to the stated capacity. So the
sensible move it to buy a few samples and test them first.

For those that do have the capacity, you also need to test they can
delver the required peak current. You tend to pay more for ones that can
deliver a sustained 25A than ones that will only do 10A.

Lastly cell quality matters, in that some will give fewer total recharge
cycles than others. So sticking to genuine cells from Samsung or someone
similar is often a good idea.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Cordless Drill Battery

<je58ttFu18U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52392&group=uk.d-i-y#52392

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 21:27:40 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 12 May 2022 20:27 UTC

On 12/05/2022 18:02, John Rumm wrote:
> On 12/05/2022 16:01, countrywill wrote:
>
>>> tagged sub C cells
>
>> The cheapest place to buy tagged sub C cells is Alliexpress
>
> Quite possibly these days, but possibly not 12 years ago when the
> question was asked!
>
>> but make sure you buy ones with the highest Ah as these will last longer
>
> In theory higher capacity will give longer run time, but there is much
> more to it than that.
>
> Firstly some Chinese manufacturers will "inflate" (i.e. lie about) the
> Ah rating. Many won't come close to the stated capacity.  So the
> sensible move it to buy a few samples and test them first.

In general, if the capacity is greater than that from a respected
manufacturer as listed on their own web site then what is printed on the
side of the battery is likely to be a lie.

Re: Cordless Drill Battery

<t5js44$k31$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52393&group=uk.d-i-y#52393

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 21:53:24 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 12 May 2022 20:53 UTC

On 12/05/2022 21:27, alan_m wrote:

>>> The cheapest place to buy tagged sub C cells is Alliexpress
>>
>> Quite possibly these days, but possibly not 12 years ago when the
>> question was asked!
>>
>>> but make sure you buy ones with the highest Ah as these will last longer
>>
>> In theory higher capacity will give longer run time, but there is much
>> more to it than that.
>>
>> Firstly some Chinese manufacturers will "inflate" (i.e. lie about) the
>> Ah rating. Many won't come close to the stated capacity.  So the
>> sensible move it to buy a few samples and test them first.
>
> In general, if the capacity is greater than that from a respected
> manufacturer as listed on their own web site then what is printed on the
> side of the battery is likely to be a lie.

Yup, it is not uncommon to see ads on ebay etc claiming capacities 3x
higher than the best available from the premium brands.

There are some good comparisons here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZuHMlRw_0

--
Cheers,