Sailing is fun, but scrubbing the decks is aardvark. -- Heard on Noahs' ark

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Keeping the lights on.R Souls
+* Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.Rod Speed
|`* Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.R Souls
| `- Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.Rod Speed
+* Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.David
|`- Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.The Nomad
`* Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.Spike
 `* Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.The Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.Bev

1
OT: Keeping the lights on.

<rhjp7h90k8i48u6d0ephp4b3v646a30l0a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52334&group=uk.d-i-y#52334

From: ron.so...@aol.com (R Souls)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: Keeping the lights on.
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:23:49 +0100
 by: R Souls - Thu, 12 May 2022 09:23 UTC

For those here singing the praises of French energy policy with 70% of
their electricity being nuclear, and who believe that nuclear power is
the only way out of our energy crisis take a look at this extract from
the 'Old Sparky' column in Private Eye 1573.

Corrosive power

Several continental readers have questioned our story (Eye 1571) that
French electricity prices are the highest in Europe: they rightly
point out that subsidies reduce the price French householders pay.

The report, though, was referring to wholesale prices in France which
were, and remain, the highest. And there's no end in sight because the
root cause, systemic corrosion in the largest French nuclear power
stations, has now been identified in some of the medium-sized ones as
well.

Twenty-six of France's 56 reactors are now hors de combat, at the
worst possible time. If, when the smaller plants are inspected, the
corrosion turns out to be endemic, France will have an electricity
problem on the same scale as Germany has a Russian gas problem. Record
imports are now being bought from the UK and elsewhere. France, unlike
most of Europe, relies heavily on electricity for heating as well as
light and power. To keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced
to keep some of the nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there
isn't sufficient electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent
French nuclear shortfall. Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with
this one.

'Old Sparky'

Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

<op.1l1vbhf4byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52340&group=uk.d-i-y#52340

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 19:58:19 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 12 May 2022 09:58 UTC

R Souls <ron.souls@aol.com> wrote

> For those here singing the praises of French energy policy with 70% of
> their electricity being nuclear, and who believe that nuclear power is
> the only way out of our energy crisis

There is no energy crisis.

> take a look at this extract from
> the 'Old Sparky' column in Private Eye 1573.

Just because some fool claims something...

> Corrosive power

> Several continental readers have questioned our story (Eye 1571) that
> French electricity prices are the highest in Europe:

Because that is a bare faced lie, Germany's are.

> they rightly
> point out that subsidies reduce the price French householders pay.

> The report, though, was referring to wholesale prices in France which
> were, and remain, the highest.

BULLSHIT.

> And there's no end in sight because the
> root cause, systemic corrosion in the largest French nuclear power
> stations, has now been identified in some of the medium-sized ones as
> well.

> Twenty-six of France's 56 reactors are now hors de combat,

BULLSHIT and that isn't inevitable with all nukes and hasn't happened in
Japan.

> at the
> worst possible time.

More mindless bullshit.

> If, when the smaller plants are inspected, the
> corrosion turns out to be endemic, France will have an electricity
> problem on the same scale as Germany has a Russian gas problem.

More mindless bullshit.

> Record
> imports are now being bought from the UK and elsewhere.

That is a bare faced lie and is only temporary, you watch.

> France, unlike
> most of Europe,

Another bare faced pig ignorant lie. There is a reason for the gas
imports, fuckwit.

> relies heavily on electricity for heatingas well as
> light and power. To keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced
> to keep some of the nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there
> isn't sufficient electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent
> French nuclear shortfall.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crased pig ignorant fantasys
with that last mindless shit.

> Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with
> this one.

They won't need to, you watch.

There is a reason they are building more nukes, fuckwit.

Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

<je47naF9d9oU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52350&group=uk.d-i-y#52350

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 12 May 2022 11:00:58 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 12 May 2022 11:00 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 10:23:49 +0100, R Souls wrote:

> For those here singing the praises of French energy policy with 70% of
> their electricity being nuclear, and who believe that nuclear power is
> the only way out of our energy crisis take a look at this extract from
> the 'Old Sparky' column in Private Eye 1573.

> Corrosive power
>
> Several continental readers have questioned our story (Eye 1571) that
> French electricity prices are the highest in Europe: they rightly point
> out that subsidies reduce the price French householders pay.
>
> The report, though, was referring to wholesale prices in France which
> were, and remain, the highest. And there's no end in sight because the
> root cause, systemic corrosion in the largest French nuclear power
> stations, has now been identified in some of the medium-sized ones as
> well.
>
> Twenty-six of France's 56 reactors are now hors de combat, at the worst
> possible time. If, when the smaller plants are inspected, the corrosion
> turns out to be endemic, France will have an electricity problem on the
> same scale as Germany has a Russian gas problem. Record imports are now
> being bought from the UK and elsewhere. France, unlike most of Europe,
> relies heavily on electricity for heating as well as light and power. To
> keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced to keep some of the
> nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there isn't sufficient
> electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent French nuclear
> shortfall. Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with this one.
>
> 'Old Sparky'

Possibly because France hasn't been building new reactors to replace the
old ones?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

<ZP5fK.689462$NCX1.186964@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52351&group=uk.d-i-y#52351

From: nom...@the.desert.invalid (The Nomad)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:03:21 GMT
 by: The Nomad - Thu, 12 May 2022 11:03 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 11:00:58 +0000, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 May 2022 10:23:49 +0100, R Souls wrote:

<snip>

>> France, unlike most of Europe,
>> relies heavily on electricity for heating as well as light and power.
>> To keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced to keep some of
>> the nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there isn't sufficient
>> electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent French nuclear
>> shortfall. Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with this one.
>>
>> 'Old Sparky'
>
> Possibly because France hasn't been building new reactors to replace the
> old ones?

^ This!
--
"When it's time to stop living, I will certainly make Death my number
one choice!"

Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

<je481iFp8rvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52353&group=uk.d-i-y#52353

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:06:28 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 12 May 2022 11:06 UTC

On 12/05/2022 09:23, R Souls wrote:

> For those here singing the praises of French energy policy with 70% of
> their electricity being nuclear, and who believe that nuclear power is
> the only way out of our energy crisis take a look at this extract from
> the 'Old Sparky' column in Private Eye 1573.
> Corrosive power

> Several continental readers have questioned our story (Eye 1571) that
> French electricity prices are the highest in Europe: they rightly
> point out that subsidies reduce the price French householders pay.

> The report, though, was referring to wholesale prices in France which
> were, and remain, the highest. And there's no end in sight because the
> root cause, systemic corrosion in the largest French nuclear power
> stations, has now been identified in some of the medium-sized ones as
> well.

> Twenty-six of France's 56 reactors are now hors de combat, at the
> worst possible time. If, when the smaller plants are inspected, the
> corrosion turns out to be endemic, France will have an electricity
> problem on the same scale as Germany has a Russian gas problem. Record
> imports are now being bought from the UK and elsewhere. France, unlike
> most of Europe, relies heavily on electricity for heating as well as
> light and power. To keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced
> to keep some of the nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there
> isn't sufficient electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent
> French nuclear shortfall. Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with
> this one.

I bet the French are glad they didn't back 'renewables'.

--
Spike

Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

<t5j9ur$80i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52370&group=uk.d-i-y#52370

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 16:43:23 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 12 May 2022 15:43 UTC

On 12/05/2022 12:06, Spike wrote:
> On 12/05/2022 09:23, R Souls wrote:
>
>> For those here singing the praises of French energy policy with 70% of
>> their electricity being nuclear, and who believe that nuclear power is
>> the only way out of our energy crisis take a look at this extract from
>> the 'Old Sparky' column in Private Eye 1573.
>> Corrosive power
>
>> Several continental readers have questioned our story (Eye 1571) that
>> French electricity prices are the highest in Europe: they rightly
>> point out that subsidies reduce the price French householders pay.
>
>> The report, though, was referring to wholesale prices in France which
>> were, and remain, the highest. And there's no end in sight because the
>> root cause, systemic corrosion in the largest French nuclear power
>> stations, has now been identified in some of the medium-sized ones as
>> well.
>
>> Twenty-six of France's 56 reactors are now hors de combat, at the
>> worst possible time. If, when the smaller plants are inspected, the
>> corrosion turns out to be endemic, France will have an electricity
>> problem on the same scale as Germany has a Russian gas problem. Record
>> imports are now being bought from the UK and elsewhere. France, unlike
>> most of Europe, relies heavily on electricity for heating as well as
>> light and power. To keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced
>> to keep some of the nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there
>> isn't sufficient electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent
>> French nuclear shortfall. Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with
>> this one.
>
> I bet the French are glad they didn't back 'renewables'.

We actually have enough capacity to be exporting around 4GW to Europe

Perhaps we should threaten the EU with stopping it if they fdon't do a
deal over the NIP.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

<4kfq7htup10ecg5lpdo8juke59nsfbsqos@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52379&group=uk.d-i-y#52379

From: ron.so...@aol.com (R Souls)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 18:09:05 +0100
 by: R Souls - Thu, 12 May 2022 17:09 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 19:58:19 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>R Souls <ron.souls@aol.com> wrote
>
>> For those here singing the praises of French energy policy with 70% of
>> their electricity being nuclear, and who believe that nuclear power is
>> the only way out of our energy crisis
>
>There is no energy crisis.
>
>> take a look at this extract from
>> the 'Old Sparky' column in Private Eye 1573.
>
>Just because some fool claims something...

>> Corrosive power
>
>> Several continental readers have questioned our story (Eye 1571) that
>> French electricity prices are the highest in Europe:
>
>Because that is a bare faced lie, Germany's are.
>
>> they rightly
>> point out that subsidies reduce the price French householders pay.
>
>> The report, though, was referring to wholesale prices in France which
>> were, and remain, the highest.
>
>BULLSHIT.
>
>> And there's no end in sight because the
>> root cause, systemic corrosion in the largest French nuclear power
>> stations, has now been identified in some of the medium-sized ones as
>> well.
>
>> Twenty-six of France's 56 reactors are now hors de combat,
>
>BULLSHIT and that isn't inevitable with all nukes and hasn't happened in
>Japan.
>
>> at the
>> worst possible time.
>
>More mindless bullshit.
>
>> If, when the smaller plants are inspected, the
>> corrosion turns out to be endemic, France will have an electricity
>> problem on the same scale as Germany has a Russian gas problem.
>
>More mindless bullshit.
>
>> Record
>> imports are now being bought from the UK and elsewhere.
>
>That is a bare faced lie and is only temporary, you watch.
>
>> France, unlike
>> most of Europe,
>
>Another bare faced pig ignorant lie. There is a reason for the gas
>imports, fuckwit.
>
>> relies heavily on electricity for heatingas well as
>> light and power. To keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced
>> to keep some of the nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there
>> isn't sufficient electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent
>> French nuclear shortfall.
>
>Just another of your pathetic little drug crased pig ignorant fantasys
>with that last mindless shit.
>
>> Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with
>> this one.
>
>They won't need to, you watch.
>
>There is a reason they are building more nukes, fuckwit.

In case you hadn't noticed, this group is called uk.d-i-y.

Surely you could find a suitable group to pollute in your own shithole
of a country.

Now bugger off.

Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

<op.1l2hedujbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52381&group=uk.d-i-y#52381

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 03:55:15 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 12 May 2022 17:55 UTC

R Souls <ron.souls@aol.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> R Souls <ron.souls@aol.com> wrote

>>> For those here singing the praises of French energy policy with 70% of
>>> their electricity being nuclear, and who believe that nuclear power is
>>> the only way out of our energy crisis
>>
>> There is no energy crisis.
>>
>>> take a look at this extract from
>>> the 'Old Sparky' column in Private Eye 1573.
>>
>> Just because some fool claims something...

>>> Corrosive power
>>
>>> Several continental readers have questioned our story (Eye 1571) that
>>> French electricity prices are the highest in Europe:
>>
>> Because that is a bare faced lie, Germany's are.
>>
>>> they rightly
>>> point out that subsidies reduce the price French householders pay.
>>
>>> The report, though, was referring to wholesale prices in France which
>>> were, and remain, the highest.
>>
>> BULLSHIT.
>>
>>> And there's no end in sight because the
>>> root cause, systemic corrosion in the largest French nuclear power
>>> stations, has now been identified in some of the medium-sized ones as
>>> well.
>>
>>> Twenty-six of France's 56 reactors are now hors de combat,
>>
>> BULLSHIT and that isn't inevitable with all nukes and hasn't happened in
>> Japan.
>>
>>> at the
>>> worst possible time.
>>
>> More mindless bullshit.
>>
>>> If, when the smaller plants are inspected, the
>>> corrosion turns out to be endemic, France will have an electricity
>>> problem on the same scale as Germany has a Russian gas problem.
>>
>> More mindless bullshit.
>>
>>> Record
>>> imports are now being bought from the UK and elsewhere.
>>
>> That is a bare faced lie and is only temporary, you watch.
>>
>>> France, unlike
>>> most of Europe,
>>
>> Another bare faced pig ignorant lie. There is a reason for the gas
>> imports, fuckwit.
>>
>>> relies heavily on electricity for heatingas well as
>>> light and power. To keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced
>>> to keep some of the nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there
>>> isn't sufficient electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent
>>> French nuclear shortfall.
>>
>> Just another of your pathetic little drug crased pig ignorant fantasys
>> with that last mindless shit.
>>
>>> Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with
>>> this one.
>>
>> They won't need to, you watch.
>>
>> There is a reason they are building more nukes, fuckwit.

> In case you hadn't noticed, this group is called uk.d-i-y.

Must be why some clown with multiple
arseholes posted about nukes in France.

<reams of the shit from your multiple arseholes flushed where it belongs>

Re: OT: Keeping the lights on.

<t5ln0l$9in$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52432&group=uk.d-i-y#52432

From: Bev...@invalid.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 13:38:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Fri, 13 May 2022 13:38 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 16:43:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Perhaps we should threaten the EU with stopping it if they fdon't do a
> deal over the NIP.

Don't worry about that...in another couple of years UK will decide it
doesn't like any revised deal and demand another anyway.