There are a lot of lies going around.... and half of them are true. -- Winston Churchill

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Beginners guide to network switches

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Beginners guide to network switchesChris J Dixon
+* Re: Beginners guide to network switchesJohn Rumm
|`* Re: Beginners guide to network switchesChris J Dixon
| +- Re: Beginners guide to network switchesJohn Rumm
| `* Re: Beginners guide to network switchesAndrew
|  `* Re: Beginners guide to network switchesJohn Walliker
|   `- Re: Beginners guide to network switcheswasbit
+* Re: Beginners guide to network switchesSH
|`- Re: Beginners guide to network switchesRJH
+- Re: Beginners guide to network switcheslacksey
+- Re: Beginners guide to network switchesTheo
+- Re: Beginners guide to network switchesThe Natural Philosopher
`- Re: Beginners guide to network switcheswww.GymRats.uk

1
Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<osct7hhgn4f9pagfqadk6usvho3vfg9e91@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52462&group=uk.d-i-y#52462

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Beginners guide to network switches
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 20:45:59 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 13 May 2022 19:45 UTC

Some years ago, Tim Watts wrote:

>My advice is don't be cheap - use gig switches
>
>Netgear GS series switches are reliable:
>
>http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-switches/netgear-gs108-prosafe-8-port-ethernet-switch-00939526-pdt.html
>
>£35 ish.
>
>For a simple home network, they need no configuration and there is no
>problem with mixing models and brands.

I may well want to connect more than 4 items to my router, and
following your suggestion I found this Amazon page:

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>

At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
£25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<t5mg3b$d6p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52464&group=uk.d-i-y#52464

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:46:33 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 13 May 2022 20:46 UTC

On 13/05/2022 20:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Some years ago, Tim Watts wrote:
>
>> My advice is don't be cheap - use gig switches
>>
>> Netgear GS series switches are reliable:
>>
>> http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-switches/netgear-gs108-prosafe-8-port-ethernet-switch-00939526-pdt.html
>>
>> £35 ish.
>>
>> For a simple home network, they need no configuration and there is no
>> problem with mixing models and brands.
>
> I may well want to connect more than 4 items to my router, and
> following your suggestion I found this Amazon page:
>
> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>
>
> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?

For home use there are probably only a few features of a managed switch
that might be of use:

Spanning tree detection - this allows the switch to spot when a network
loop has been created, and block the port causing the problem. (on an
unmanaged switch if you connect one port directly to another on the same
subnet it can cause the broadcast storm that brings the network to it's
knees.

Link aggregation - allows multiple ports to be joined into a logical
channel for higher throughput. Handy with the posher NAS devices that
have multiple gig ethernet ports. It does not improve the max speed of
delivery to any one user (unless they are using multiple network
interfaces, but does allow concurrent full speed access to multiple
machines (drive throughput permitting))

VLAN support - allow the network to be logically partitioned into
separate walled gardens - handy for example if you want CCTV cameras on
the lan but don't want to have an externally accessible lan connection
that can access sensitive parts of your network.

I would agree with Tim that generally Netgear switches are good
(although did havea recent problem with a couple of new 24 port PoE ones
that were crashing about once a fortnight. However those have been ok
for the last few weeks after I did a firmware upgrade on them). TP-Link
ones seem to be pretty rock solid as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<t5mgkg$s40$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52465&group=uk.d-i-y#52465

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:55:43 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 13 May 2022 20:55 UTC

On 13/05/2022 20:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Some years ago, Tim Watts wrote:
>
>> My advice is don't be cheap - use gig switches
>>
>> Netgear GS series switches are reliable:
>>
>> http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-switches/netgear-gs108-prosafe-8-port-ethernet-switch-00939526-pdt.html
>>
>> £35 ish.
>>
>> For a simple home network, they need no configuration and there is no
>> problem with mixing models and brands.
>
> I may well want to connect more than 4 items to my router, and
> following your suggestion I found this Amazon page:
>
> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>
>
> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?
>
> Chris

when I bopught my current house 10 years ago, I bought one of these 2nd
hand off eBay:

https://www.ebuyer.com/75474-netgear-prosafe-gs748t-gigabit-smart-switch-gs748teu

been in the loft ever since, only issue I had was overheqting when the
fans failed ( a common problem) replaced all the fans and its not missed
a beat since.

All the TVs, radios, set top boxes all have ethernet connections as well
as the desktop and laptop PCs and also 4 NASes and 1 DVR, so its easy to
fill up the 48 ports quickly in a 5 bedroom house! :-)

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<op.1l4pvyiix9d686@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52468&group=uk.d-i-y#52468

From: lki...@gmail.com (lacksey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 08:53:48 +1000
 by: lacksey - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:53 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 05:45:59 +1000, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

> Some years ago, Tim Watts wrote:
>
>> My advice is don't be cheap - use gig switches
>>
>> Netgear GS series switches are reliable:
>>
>> http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-switches/netgear-gs108-prosafe-8-port-ethernet-switch-00939526-pdt.html
>>
>> £35 ish.
>>
>> For a simple home network, they need no configuration and there is no
>> problem with mixing models and brands.
>
> I may well want to connect more than 4 items to my router, and
> following your suggestion I found this Amazon page:
>
> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>
>
> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?

What is the point of quibbling about £0.77 ?

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<5cx*RM8Ny@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52476&group=uk.d-i-y#52476

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 14 May 2022 04:49:01 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 14 May 2022 03:49 UTC

Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> I may well want to connect more than 4 items to my router, and
> following your suggestion I found this Amazon page:
>
> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>
>
> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?

That's a so-called 'smart' switch, which isn't a proper managed switch
(won't tie into a corporate network so well) but is probably easier to use
for a home user.

The main things to be aware of is the smart switch has an IP address of its
own (for the control panel) and it may take fractionally more power than a
dumb switch. The IP address is only likely to be an issue if using it
somewhere unusual, like on the WAN port of your router (hint: don't do
that).

Power-wise, the GS108 is now EOL so likely an older design, but:

Maximum power consumption
GS105: 3.5W
GS108:
- 4.92W (if cable length > 10 m)
- 4.08W (if cable length < 10 m)

GS105Ev2: 2.6W
GS108Ev3: 4.5W

so actually the newer 'smart' design is slightly better in terms of power
consumption.

For the extra 77p it seems a no-brainer.

Theo

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<4s0v7hhkn5cp8ckd3hvhj290m9qlshqgb2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52496&group=uk.d-i-y#52496

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:33:56 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Sat, 14 May 2022 10:33 UTC

John Rumm wrote:

>On 13/05/2022 20:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:

>> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>
>>
>> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
>> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
>> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
>> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?
>
>For home use there are probably only a few features of a managed switch
>that might be of use:

>Link aggregation - allows multiple ports to be joined into a logical
>channel for higher throughput. Handy with the posher NAS devices that
>have multiple gig ethernet ports. It does not improve the max speed of
>delivery to any one user (unless they are using multiple network
>interfaces, but does allow concurrent full speed access to multiple
>machines (drive throughput permitting))

My NAS does have this facility, but I'm not at all sure that
there is sufficient simultaneous demand to make it worthwhile.

I guess I would also have to run some more cable. I put in one
Cat5 at a time when I could get access. Anything additional would
have to be run externally around the house. More wired points in
the upstairs "office" could be useful. Any pointers?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<t5o0nd$1ra$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52498&group=uk.d-i-y#52498

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:36:28 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 14 May 2022 10:36 UTC

On 13/05/2022 20:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?

Inside a domestic firewall unless you are running a massive network
there is absolutely no reason at all to have a managed switch. In a
huge corporate network, perhaps.

I cannot remember the last time I did management at MAC level though -
once TCP/IP came in if you wanted to fine tune things you used a router
+switch instead of just a switch.

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<t5o4rp$s0d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52511&group=uk.d-i-y#52511

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 12:47:04 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 14 May 2022 11:47 UTC

On 14/05/2022 11:33, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> John Rumm wrote:
>
>> On 13/05/2022 20:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>
>>> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>
>>>
>>> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
>>> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
>>> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
>>> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?
>>
>> For home use there are probably only a few features of a managed switch
>> that might be of use:
>
>> Link aggregation - allows multiple ports to be joined into a logical
>> channel for higher throughput. Handy with the posher NAS devices that
>> have multiple gig ethernet ports. It does not improve the max speed of
>> delivery to any one user (unless they are using multiple network
>> interfaces, but does allow concurrent full speed access to multiple
>> machines (drive throughput permitting))
>
> My NAS does have this facility, but I'm not at all sure that
> there is sufficient simultaneous demand to make it worthwhile.
>
> I guess I would also have to run some more cable. I put in one
> Cat5 at a time when I could get access. Anything additional would
> have to be run externally around the house. More wired points in
> the upstairs "office" could be useful. Any pointers?

More wired points is easy - you just need a switch :-) More points to do
link aggregation really needs more cables, unless you can get your
existing one running at 2.5G (but more cat5 would still be cheaper)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<t5o5ip$oi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52512&group=uk.d-i-y#52512

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:59:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 14 May 2022 11:59 UTC

On 13 May 2022 at 21:55:43 BST, "SH" <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:

> On 13/05/2022 20:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Some years ago, Tim Watts wrote:
>>
>>> My advice is don't be cheap - use gig switches
>>>
>>> Netgear GS series switches are reliable:
>>>
>>> http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-switches/netgear-gs108-prosafe-8-port-ethernet-switch-00939526-pdt.html
>>>
>>> £35 ish.
>>>
>>> For a simple home network, they need no configuration and there is no
>>> problem with mixing models and brands.
>>
>> I may well want to connect more than 4 items to my router, and
>> following your suggestion I found this Amazon page:
>>
>> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>
>>
>> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
>> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
>> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
>> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?
>>
>> Chris

Agreed on the TP link and Netgear - I've had one of each on continuously for
about 10 years and no problems (yet).

I'd look for a metal case, and check the ports/power socket are accessible and
easy to route at your chosen spot.

> when I bopught my current house 10 years ago, I bought one of these 2nd
> hand off eBay:
>
> https://www.ebuyer.com/75474-netgear-prosafe-gs748t-gigabit-smart-switch-gs748teu

That'll be costing over £100 a year to run. Basic switches a fraction (less
than a tenth) of that. But obviously if it suits your needs, looks to be an
impressive bit of kit.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<t5tfmf$hdc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52705&group=uk.d-i-y#52705

From: 0845.86....@GymRatZ.Gym.Equipment (www.GymRats.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:22:36 +0100
Autocrypt: addr=0845.86.86.888@GymRatZ.Gym.Equipment; keydata=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 by: www.GymRats.uk - Mon, 16 May 2022 12:22 UTC

On 13/05/2022 20:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:

>> My advice is don't be cheap - use gig switches
>>
>> Netgear GS series switches are reliable:

> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?

little Netgear switches are extremely reliable form my experience.

I still have the first Netgear firewall/router I bought for the shop 20+
years ago in operation as Wi-Fi access point (FWAG114). and an 8 port
and a 16 port switch both retired from business use but re-purposed on
the far more hectic home-network. The only downside to Netgear kit is
the external PSU which I've had to replace numerous times both
manufacturers original which actually went up in smoke, and a
switch-mode non OEM replacement.

My TPLink managed switches have a few semi handy features, one showing
"cable length" of the wire connected to each port but on the whole they
(managed switches) just sit doing their own thing.

Always go for the latest version available, it will be more energy
efficient and have more updates for longer.

Cheers - Pete

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<t5u9fc$1gdb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52787&group=uk.d-i-y#52787

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:42:35 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:42 UTC

On 14/05/2022 11:33, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> John Rumm wrote:
>
>> On 13/05/2022 20:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>
>>> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B00N2JPKEC/ref=sr_1_4?>
>>>
>>> At the time of writing, the GS108 is £25.00, and the GS108Ev3 is
>>> £25.77. Is there any point in buying the fractionally more
>>> expensive (because it is more heavily discounted) managed switch,
>>> when I don't currently envisage that I need the extra facility?
>>
>> For home use there are probably only a few features of a managed switch
>> that might be of use:
>
>> Link aggregation - allows multiple ports to be joined into a logical
>> channel for higher throughput. Handy with the posher NAS devices that
>> have multiple gig ethernet ports. It does not improve the max speed of
>> delivery to any one user (unless they are using multiple network
>> interfaces, but does allow concurrent full speed access to multiple
>> machines (drive throughput permitting))
>
> My NAS does have this facility, but I'm not at all sure that
> there is sufficient simultaneous demand to make it worthwhile.
>
> I guess I would also have to run some more cable. I put in one
> Cat5 at a time when I could get access. Anything additional would
> have to be run externally around the house. More wired points in
> the upstairs "office" could be useful. Any pointers?
>
> Chris

New GS105 going cheap on the BHF website if you want a basic
one. I suspect no-one will bid for it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374074445359?hash=item5718930e2f:g:bwQAAOSwD35ifsC4

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<ffa5766c-2bab-4621-bf47-0872b7be58b8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52829&group=uk.d-i-y#52829

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:19:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:19 UTC

On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 20:42:46 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
> On 14/05/2022 11:33, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> > John Rumm wrote:

> >> For home use there are probably only a few features of a managed switch
> >> that might be of use:
> >
> >> Link aggregation - allows multiple ports to be joined into a logical
> >> channel for higher throughput. Handy with the posher NAS devices that
> >> have multiple gig ethernet ports. It does not improve the max speed of
> >> delivery to any one user (unless they are using multiple network
> >> interfaces, but does allow concurrent full speed access to multiple
> >> machines (drive throughput permitting))
> >
> > My NAS does have this facility, but I'm not at all sure that
> > there is sufficient simultaneous demand to make it worthwhile.
> >
> > I guess I would also have to run some more cable. I put in one
> > Cat5 at a time when I could get access. Anything additional would
> > have to be run externally around the house. More wired points in
> > the upstairs "office" could be useful. Any pointers?
> >
> > Chris
> New GS105 going cheap on the BHF website if you want a basic
> one. I suspect no-one will bid for it.
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374074445359?hash=item5718930e2f:g:bwQAAOSwD35ifsC4

Or even cheaper, accounting for postage, would be one of these. I have a few.
They are very well made with a solid steel case.
Amazon UK product code: B07HP5TN4S
The current price is £12.99 with free same day prime delivery.
John

Re: Beginners guide to network switches

<t5vs3s$jr4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52839&group=uk.d-i-y#52839

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:06:45 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 17 May 2022 10:06 UTC

"John Walliker" <jrwalliker@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 20:42:46 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

>> > My NAS does have this facility, but I'm not at all sure that
>> > there is sufficient simultaneous demand to make it worthwhile.
>> >
>> > I guess I would also have to run some more cable. I put in one
>> > Cat5 at a time when I could get access. Anything additional would
>> > have to be run externally around the house. More wired points in
>> > the upstairs "office" could be useful. Any pointers?
>> >
>> > Chris
>> New GS105 going cheap on the BHF website if you want a basic
>> one. I suspect no-one will bid for it.
>>
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374074445359?hash=item5718930e2f:g:bwQAAOSwD35ifsC4
>
> Or even cheaper, accounting for postage, would be one of these. I have a
> few.
> They are very well made with a solid steel case.
> Amazon UK product code: B07HP5TN4S
> The current price is £12.99 with free same day prime delivery.

Or there is an 8 port for £14.99 on the same page.

--
Regards
wasbit