When I'm good, I'm great; but when I'm bad, I'm better. -- Mae West

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

SubjectAuthor
* FM-Dab aerial converterRJH
+* Re: FM-Dab aerial converterBrian
|`- Re: FM-Dab aerial converterRJH
+* Re: FM-Dab aerial converterDave Plowman (News)
|+- Re: FM-Dab aerial converterbert
|`- Re: FM-Dab aerial converterRJH
+* Re: FM-Dab aerial converterwilliamwright

Pages:123
Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<59e556987echarles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51885&group=uk.d-i-y#51885

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Subject: Re: FM-Dab aerial converter
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 12:17:50 +0100
 by: charles - Sun, 8 May 2022 11:17 UTC

In article <59e5538219dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <59e54598d7charles@candehope.me.uk>, charles
> <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> > In article <jdor3gFjv4qU1@mid.individual.net>, williamwright
> > <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:

> > > A quarterwave on the roof will outperform a screen aerial massively.
> > > Bear in mind though that the use of the same channel for different
> > > muxes in different (sometimes overlapping) areas is a big factor in
> > > limiting DAB mobile reception.

> > I must be about 50 years ago that colleagues did tests with Volvo to
> > show that the roof was the ideal place of a car aerial. Almost any
> > other location on a car gave distinct directional lobes.

> Quite a few makes fitted roof aerials as standard once - even in AM days.
> Rover and Rolls-Royce.

BL, when it existed, reverted to wing aerials on one car and one of my
colleaguesn wrote to them asking why "That's where the stylist said it had
to go." was the reply.

> Perhaps automatic car washes stopped that fashion. Until the sharks fin
> versions appeared.

Also roof racks

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<t58cmf$1ejd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51889&group=uk.d-i-y#51889

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 08:22:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 8 May 2022 12:22 UTC

On 5/7/2022 11:14 PM, williamwright wrote:
> On 07/05/2022 10:26, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>

>> All pieces of wire pick up all signals. It is merely a question of how well.
>
> Absolutely. And not just pieces of wire.
>
> Bill

But science works best. The person experimenting here,
was able to demonstrate directionality and polarization
with his antenna.

https://www.mikebanahan.com/Radio/dabantenna.php

Placing it in an elevated location (the loft), didn't hurt.

The simulator predicts an idealized narrowband behavior,
but the real implementation might not even be close
on that. Sometimes, the coax cable leading to the
antenna, is the antenna :-) The gamma match on that
antenna, would be "the fiddly bit". Standing
next to it, might throw it off (he used a 5pF cap).

https://www.mikebanahan.com/Radio/singleimage.php?f=dabyagi.png&d=i&c=38b6fdf1b65ead938caef24549f76df5

Paul

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<t58fdl$i1s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51893&group=uk.d-i-y#51893

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:09:09 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:09 UTC

On 06/05/2022 19:29, Jock wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2022 03:16:08 +1000, Tim Streater
> <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06 May 2022 at 17:25:31 BST, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> If so, why can't there be some manner of thing that enables that,
>>> rather than
>>> have to install a completely new assembly?
>>
>> You could remove the FM aerial from your roof and rebuild it by hand, I
>> suppose.
>>
>>> Or maybe the DAB radio unit 'calls' for the required frequency?
>>
>> What does this mean?
>>
>> I expect tunable aerials exist but they would require motors etc to
>> move the
>> bits around. I imagine that what they do on radio telescopes.
>
> No, radio telescopes are dishes which aren't tuned.

The dish will focus anything RF but the receivers at the focus are
incredibly narrow band and able to reject most terrestrial junk. The
shape of the dish ultimately limits the highest frequency it can use.

VLA offers amongst the widest range of receiver frequencies of any of
the worlds radio telescopes:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Frequencies-employed-at-the-VLA_tbl1_278048407

However, some parts of those nominally "protected" bands are not usable
due to terrestrial interference. A complete list is here:

http://www.naic.edu/~rfiuser/smarg-act.html

Radio telescopes come in all shapes and sizes. Some of the biggest like
the one that first detected pulsars are just a phased array of simple
dipoles. It was tuned to 408MHz (one of the narrow dedicated radio
astronomy bands). There are a few frequencies kept clean for radio
astronomy (at least in theory) the receivers are often very narrow band.

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co8105496/parts-from-the-cambridge-interplanetary-scintillation-array-radio-telescope-instrument-component

Interferometry relies on the wavelength being well defined so that the
signal is in effect monochromatic and has interference fringes when two
or more scope signals are combined. The basis of aperture synthesis.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<jdq1kvFqu7pU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51912&group=uk.d-i-y#51912

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:16:00 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:16 UTC

On 08/05/2022 09:46, Martin Brown wrote:
> That is because you live in the south.

No, it's because he lives in an area of high DAB field strength.

DAB is all but unusable where I
> live even with a good antenna and balun tuned to the right band.
>
> It didn't help when the Bedale transmitter mast burned down. It was
> still pretty useless before that and drops out on the A1/M62 too.
>
> The only thing that DAB does better than FM is the inter programme gaps.
> Insufficient bitrate and the wrong codec badly implemented.
>
> If there is plenty of signal around it hardly matters what the antenna
> looks like provided that there is enough of it (length of wire).

Let's not start one of those gainsaying DAB discussions. However I did
drive from Retford to Rotherham yesterday and GB News didn't drop out
once...

Bill

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<jdq1rlFqu7pU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51914&group=uk.d-i-y#51914

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:19:34 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:19 UTC

On 08/05/2022 05:37, Rod Speed wrote:

> That's not TUNING, fuckwit.

Don't be silly.

Bill

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<jdq22tFr1vsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51916&group=uk.d-i-y#51916

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:23:25 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:23 UTC

On 08/05/2022 09:12, charles wrote:
> I must be about 50 years ago that colleagues did tests with Volvo to show
> that the roof was the ideal place of a car aerial. Almost any other
> location on a car gave distinct directional lobes.

I used to have a van with the aerial on the bonnet on the nearside. It
was noticeable how reception would be quite different on weak stations
depending on which way you were travelling along a particular road.

Bill

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<op.1lu46bw7c5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51948&group=uk.d-i-y#51948

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 04:48:01 +1000
 by: Jock - Sun, 8 May 2022 18:48 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 23:09:09 +1000, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/05/2022 19:29, Jock wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 May 2022 03:16:08 +1000, Tim Streater
>> <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:

>>> You could remove the FM aerial from your roof and rebuild it by hand, I
>>> suppose.

>>> What does this mean?
>>>
>>> I expect tunable aerials exist but they would require motors etc to
>>> move the
>>> bits around. I imagine that what they do on radio telescopes.
>> No, radio telescopes are dishes which aren't tuned.
>
> The dish will focus anything RF but the receivers at the focus are
> incredibly narrow band and able to reject most terrestrial junk.

So they aren't TUNED.

> The shape of the dish ultimately limits the highest frequency it can
> use.

The size of the dish, actually.

> VLA offers amongst the widest range of receiver frequencies of any of
> the worlds radio telescopes:
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Frequencies-employed-at-the-VLA_tbl1_278048407
>
> However, some parts of those nominally "protected" bands are not usable
> due to terrestrial interference. A complete list is here:
>
> http://www.naic.edu/~rfiuser/smarg-act.html
>
> Radio telescopes come in all shapes and sizes. Some of the biggest like
> the one that first detected pulsars are just a phased array of simple
> dipoles. It was tuned to 408MHz (one of the narrow dedicated radio
> astronomy bands). There are a few frequencies kept clean for radio
> astronomy (at least in theory) the receivers are often very narrow band.
>
> https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co8105496/parts-from-the-cambridge-interplanetary-scintillation-array-radio-telescope-instrument-component
>
> Interferometry relies on the wavelength being well defined so that the
> signal is in effect monochromatic and has interference fringes when two
> or more scope signals are combined. The basis of aperture synthesis.

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<op.1lu5t1b5byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51952&group=uk.d-i-y#51952

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 05:02:15 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:02 UTC

williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> That's not TUNING, fuckwit.

> Don't be silly.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<jdqj3qFu6m1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51958&group=uk.d-i-y#51958

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 20:14:04 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:14 UTC

On 07/05/2022 02:20, williamwright wrote:

> Some DAB is transmitted using a single frequency network (SFN)

Most DAB is. Just a couple of tiny, so called  'mini-muxes' that use
just a single Tx site

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<jdqph4Frn8U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51994&group=uk.d-i-y#51994

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:03:33 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 8 May 2022 21:03 UTC

On 08/05/2022 20:02, Rod Speed wrote:
> williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>
>>>  That's not TUNING, fuckwit.
>
>> Don't be silly.
>
> You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Don't be silly. The grown-ups aren't impressed.

Bill

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<jdqpm8Frn8U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=51995&group=uk.d-i-y#51995

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:06:17 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 8 May 2022 21:06 UTC

On 08/05/2022 20:14, Mark Carver wrote:
> Most DAB is. Just a couple of tiny, so called  'mini-muxes' that use
> just a single Tx site

It hadn't occurred to me, but yes of course they are.

Bill

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<op.1lvkeir8byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52004&group=uk.d-i-y#52004

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 10:16:56 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 9 May 2022 00:16 UTC

williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Don't be silly.

>> You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

> Don't be silly.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<jds4u0F8hdqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52035&group=uk.d-i-y#52035

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 10:24:18 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 9 May 2022 09:24 UTC

On 08/05/2022 09:46, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 06/05/2022 16:05, charles wrote:
>> In article <jdkqbtFr90fU1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
>> <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:

>>> Suitable in what way?

>>> Wrong frequency band, I would have said. An FM aerial (on a rooftop at
>>> least) is tuned to pick up from 88-105MHz or so, DAB seems to be
>>> 170-240MHz or so. A bit of wire is not, of course, tuned vey well.
>>
>> my elderly Band II aerial feeds my DAB tuner with no problems
>
> That is because you live in the south.

That's just anti-southern bias. In the South we have areas (notably Kent
and Sussex) where provision of some DAB services isn't possible because
of French objections (says he with his anti-French bias !)

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<t5b5eu$1fdu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52067&group=uk.d-i-y#52067

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 14:37:34 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 9 May 2022 13:37 UTC

On 08/05/2022 09:46, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 06/05/2022 16:05, charles wrote:

>> my elderly Band II aerial feeds my DAB tuner with no problems
>
> That is because you live in the south.

I live in the South and DAB can only be received using the
indoor aerial upstairs and at the front of the house, facing
North, and pinned up vertically.

I cut a length of 11mm oval conduit about 25 inches long,
and made a slot in the centre by cutting 1/3 of the way
through and about 1/2 an inch lomg.

Then I fed the the two arms of the dipole up
and down and attached a short length of copper wire at
one end and hung it from a pin in the ceiling.

Lowering it down to desk height the radio goes off as
it does if the aerial is not vertical.

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<t5b5ja$1fdu$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52068&group=uk.d-i-y#52068

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 14:39:54 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 9 May 2022 13:39 UTC

On 09/05/2022 10:24, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 09:46, Martin Brown wrote:

>> That is because you live in the south.
>
> That's just anti-southern bias. In the South we have areas (notably Kent
> and Sussex) where provision of some DAB services isn't possible because
> of French objections (says he with his anti-French bias !)

Really ?. Which parts of Sussex (where I live) and which services ?

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<jdslo8Fbq1lU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52073&group=uk.d-i-y#52073

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:11:21 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 9 May 2022 14:11 UTC

On 09/05/2022 14:39, Andrew wrote:
> On 09/05/2022 10:24, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On 08/05/2022 09:46, Martin Brown wrote:
>
>>> That is because you live in the south.
>>
>> That's just anti-southern bias. In the South we have areas (notably
>> Kent and Sussex) where provision of some DAB services isn't possible
>> because of French objections (says he with his anti-French bias !)
>
> Really ?. Which parts of Sussex (where I live) and which services ?
Both the SDL and D1 muxes have very few transmitters in East Sussex and
Kent.
SDL don't use Heathfield, or Dover. D1 do better, but both have patchy
coverage compared to the BBC (who had first dibs on frequencies)

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<t5ko14$lgo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52401&group=uk.d-i-y#52401

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 04:49:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 13 May 2022 04:49 UTC

On 3 May 2022 at 08:10:06 BST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> Anybody had any success with one of these? -
>
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002430541537.html
>
> 'Conversion Cable DAB+ Antenna AM/FM ISO Jack to ISO Male Signal Amplifier
> Radio Antenna Aerial for Car Radio'

FWIW, I didn't get one of those, and ended up trying the windscreen aerial
supplied. I almost didn't when I looked at it as I didn't want the wires stuck
all over the windscreen. But I found a way to fit it out of sight.

Had a quick drive about and it seems to work fine - 3/3 bars in and around
Sheffield. Drops to 1 or 2 if I cut the power to the aerial, but reception
doesn't seem to be affected. I was curious about the power as there was no
earth strap, which was a feature of the youtube videos I looked at before
installing. Obviously gets its earth from the head unit.

I've a 500 mile north-south drive coming up so a fuller test then.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<t5l17v$15oc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52402&group=uk.d-i-y#52402

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 08:26:54 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 13 May 2022 07:26 UTC

On 13/05/2022 05:49, RJH wrote:
> On 3 May 2022 at 08:10:06 BST, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody had any success with one of these? -
>>
>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002430541537.html
>>
>> 'Conversion Cable DAB+ Antenna AM/FM ISO Jack to ISO Male Signal Amplifier
>> Radio Antenna Aerial for Car Radio'
>
> FWIW, I didn't get one of those, and ended up trying the windscreen aerial
> supplied. I almost didn't when I looked at it as I didn't want the wires stuck
> all over the windscreen. But I found a way to fit it out of sight.
>
> Had a quick drive about and it seems to work fine - 3/3 bars in and around
> Sheffield. Drops to 1 or 2 if I cut the power to the aerial, but reception
> doesn't seem to be affected. I was curious about the power as there was no
> earth strap, which was a feature of the youtube videos I looked at before
> installing. Obviously gets its earth from the head unit.
>
> I've a 500 mile north-south drive coming up so a fuller test then.

Expect dropouts on parts of the A1 and M62 - its normal there really is
no signal there. Whenever you are in a steep cutting it will fail.

FM just goes to mono and noisier but DAB is very much all or nothing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<t5l9dc$4hk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52406&group=uk.d-i-y#52406

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:46:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 13 May 2022 09:46 UTC

On 13 May 2022 at 08:26:54 BST, "Martin Brown" <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
wrote:

>> I've a 500 mile north-south drive coming up so a fuller test then.
>
> Expect dropouts on parts of the A1 and M62 - its normal there really is
> no signal there. Whenever you are in a steep cutting it will fail.
>
> FM just goes to mono and noisier but DAB is very much all or nothing.

Good point, thanks. I did check the local DAB map and reception seems to fall
off at the city limits - I suppose it's similar across the country.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<je7l2eFemvlU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52457&group=uk.d-i-y#52457

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 19:07:11 +0100
 by: williamwright - Fri, 13 May 2022 18:07 UTC

On 13/05/2022 08:26, Martin Brown wrote:

>> FWIW, I didn't get one of those, and ended up trying the windscreen
>> aerial
>> supplied. I almost didn't when I looked at it as I didn't want the
>> wires stuck
>> all over the windscreen. But I found a way to fit it out of sight.
>>
>> Had a quick drive about and it seems to work fine - 3/3 bars in and
>> around
>> Sheffield.

It isn't a good test. Crosspool DAB is strong in the city (you can see
it from most places!) and then there's Chesterfield, Clifton, and other
transmitters not so far away.

Bill

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<je7l54FemvlU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52458&group=uk.d-i-y#52458

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 19:08:37 +0100
 by: williamwright - Fri, 13 May 2022 18:08 UTC

On 13/05/2022 08:26, Martin Brown wrote:

> Expect dropouts on parts of the A1 and M62 - its normal there really is
> no signal there. Whenever you are in a steep cutting it will fail.

I don't get that with the BBC mux until I go right up Swaledale. Roof
mounted quarterwave though.

Bill

Re: FM-Dab aerial converter

<59e86d6c1adave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52507&group=uk.d-i-y#52507

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 12:15:45 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 14 May 2022 11:15 UTC

In article <t5l17v$15oc$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
> Expect dropouts on parts of the A1 and M62 - its normal there really is
> no signal there. Whenever you are in a steep cutting it will fail.

> FM just goes to mono and noisier but DAB is very much all or nothing.

On a national station like say R4, my car radio will switch automatically
to FM if it loses the DAB signal. You can hear it do so due to latency.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.