The earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only much, much heavier.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

SubjectAuthor
* Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?jkn
`* Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?John Rumm
 `* Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?jkn
  `* Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?jkn
   +- Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?John Rumm
   `* Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?Andrew
    `* Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?Andy Burns
     `- Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?ARW

1
Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

<74fef759-0517-44f2-b415-bf7353e684c6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52626&group=uk.d-i-y#52626

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 07:40:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Sun, 15 May 2022 14:40 UTC

Hi All
I have a Sealey Pillar Drill - perhaps half a step up from the Aldi/Lidl/MachineMart basic pillar drills.

It has always worked fine, but today it fails to start when I press the green
button ;-(. Mains supply is known good. No noises of any sort.

I am not going to get chance to look at it for a while, but I am guessing
that the most likely culprit is the zero volt switch, rather than eg. the motor?

Any pointers as to possible failure modes? i am guessing that it will
be difficult to source an exact replacement.

Thanks, Jon N

Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

<t5r8lm$71i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52637&group=uk.d-i-y#52637

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 17:10:29 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 15 May 2022 16:10 UTC

On 15/05/2022 15:40, jkn wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a Sealey Pillar Drill - perhaps half a step up from the Aldi/Lidl/MachineMart basic pillar drills.
>
> It has always worked fine, but today it fails to start when I press the green
> button ;-(. Mains supply is known good. No noises of any sort.

Fuse would be a good first check. Then work back from there. Check mains
gets to the NVR switch, then out of it, then to the motor.

If it looks like the motor, then common failure mode is knackered start
capacitor. However you will usually hear a hum from it when powered in
this case. Next the contacts on the centrifugal switch. Check the rotor
and stator windings also have continuity.

> Any pointers as to possible failure modes? i am guessing that it will
> be difficult to source an exact replacement.

There are typically plenty of indiction motors that would do the job.
You might even be able to find a local motor rewind place that could fix
it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

<825ca3a6-f563-490d-9b7b-0e7bc5e74478n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52641&group=uk.d-i-y#52641

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 10:35:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Sun, 15 May 2022 17:35 UTC

On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 5:10:34 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
> On 15/05/2022 15:40, jkn wrote:
> > Hi All
> > I have a Sealey Pillar Drill - perhaps half a step up from the Aldi/Lidl/MachineMart basic pillar drills.
> >
> > It has always worked fine, but today it fails to start when I press the green
> > button ;-(. Mains supply is known good. No noises of any sort.
> Fuse would be a good first check. Then work back from there. Check mains
> gets to the NVR switch, then out of it, then to the motor.
>
> If it looks like the motor, then common failure mode is knackered start
> capacitor. However you will usually hear a hum from it when powered in
> this case. Next the contacts on the centrifugal switch. Check the rotor
> and stator windings also have continuity.
> > Any pointers as to possible failure modes? i am guessing that it will
> > be difficult to source an exact replacement.
> There are typically plenty of indiction motors that would do the job.
> You might even be able to find a local motor rewind place that could fix
> it.

Thanks John
I have actually started taking a look now ... one slight surprise is that
there is a model number for the NVR switch, and that it seems possible
to get replacements. I am a cheapskate though...

The fuse is OK, so it's now a matter of checking the feed to the motor,
including the switch. I have found out the the drill originally cost
more than I thought (list price nearly £500).

Why do these things happen when "all I wanted to do was drill a
couple of holes..."?

Cheers, Jon N

> --
> Cheers,
>
> John.
>
> /=================================================================\
> | Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
> | John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
> \=================================================================/

Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

<96f9d8f6-36da-4e02-9559-c501ffab4326n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52650&group=uk.d-i-y#52650

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Sun, 15 May 2022 19:58 UTC

On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 6:36:00 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:
> On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 5:10:34 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
> > On 15/05/2022 15:40, jkn wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > > I have a Sealey Pillar Drill - perhaps half a step up from the Aldi/Lidl/MachineMart basic pillar drills.
> > >
> > > It has always worked fine, but today it fails to start when I press the green
> > > button ;-(. Mains supply is known good. No noises of any sort.
> > Fuse would be a good first check. Then work back from there. Check mains
> > gets to the NVR switch, then out of it, then to the motor.
> >
> > If it looks like the motor, then common failure mode is knackered start
> > capacitor. However you will usually hear a hum from it when powered in
> > this case. Next the contacts on the centrifugal switch. Check the rotor
> > and stator windings also have continuity.
> > > Any pointers as to possible failure modes? i am guessing that it will
> > > be difficult to source an exact replacement.
> > There are typically plenty of indiction motors that would do the job.
> > You might even be able to find a local motor rewind place that could fix
> > it.
> Thanks John
> I have actually started taking a look now ... one slight surprise is that
> there is a model number for the NVR switch, and that it seems possible
> to get replacements. I am a cheapskate though...
>
> The fuse is OK, so it's now a matter of checking the feed to the motor,
> including the switch. I have found out the the drill originally cost
> more than I thought (list price nearly £500).
>
> Why do these things happen when "all I wanted to do was drill a
> couple of holes..."?
>
> Cheers, Jon N

Update - problem found and fixed

I have a small bench grinder nearby, and on closer examination
(having taken the NVR switch etc out) I discovered that on some
recent use I had rather carelessly allowed the cable to the drill
to ... ahem ... get partly ground away.

Cable now repaired, and safely clipped out of the way!

Embarrased-ly, Jon N

Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

<t5s1tg$te7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52667&group=uk.d-i-y#52667

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 00:21:19 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 15 May 2022 23:21 UTC

On 15/05/2022 20:58, jkn wrote:
> On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 6:36:00 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:

>>> Fuse would be a good first check. Then work back from there. Check mains
>>> gets to the NVR switch, then out of it, then to the motor.
>>>
>>> If it looks like the motor, then common failure mode is knackered start
>>> capacitor. However you will usually hear a hum from it when powered in
>>> this case. Next the contacts on the centrifugal switch. Check the rotor
>>> and stator windings also have continuity.
>>> There are typically plenty of indiction motors that would do the job.
>>> You might even be able to find a local motor rewind place that could fix
>>> it.
>> Thanks John
>> I have actually started taking a look now ... one slight surprise is that
>> there is a model number for the NVR switch, and that it seems possible
>> to get replacements. I am a cheapskate though...
>>
>> The fuse is OK, so it's now a matter of checking the feed to the motor,
>> including the switch. I have found out the the drill originally cost
>> more than I thought (list price nearly £500).
>>
>> Why do these things happen when "all I wanted to do was drill a
>> couple of holes..."?
>>
>> Cheers, Jon N
>>>

> Update - problem found and fixed
>
> I have a small bench grinder nearby, and on closer examination
> (having taken the NVR switch etc out) I discovered that on some
> recent use I had rather carelessly allowed the cable to the drill
> to ... ahem ... get partly ground away.

I have heard of problems caused by a missing "ground" before, I guess
this is kind of the inverse!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

<t5tlsn$1tng$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52708&group=uk.d-i-y#52708

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 15:08:22 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 16 May 2022 14:08 UTC

On 15/05/2022 20:58, jkn wrote:

> Update - problem found and fixed
>
> I have a small bench grinder nearby, and on closer examination
> (having taken the NVR switch etc out) I discovered that on some
> recent use I had rather carelessly allowed the cable to the drill
> to ... ahem ... get partly ground away.
>
> Cable now repaired, and safely clipped out of the way!
>
> Embarrased-ly, Jon N

Cough. No RCD on that circuit ?

Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

<jef9scFsvsfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52722&group=uk.d-i-y#52722

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:45:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 16 May 2022 15:45 UTC

Andrew wrote:

> jkn wrote:
>
>> I have a small bench grinder nearby, and on closer examination
>> (having taken the NVR switch etc out) I discovered that on some
>> recent use I had rather carelessly allowed the cable to the drill
>> to ... ahem ... get partly ground away.
>
> Cough. No RCD on that circuit ?

Are grindstones particularly conductive?

Re: Fault mode with Sealey Pillar drill electrics?

<t5u2l1$bu1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52754&group=uk.d-i-y#52754

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 18:46:10 +0100
 by: ARW - Mon, 16 May 2022 17:46 UTC

On 16/05/2022 16:45, Andy Burns wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> jkn wrote:
>>
>>> I have a small bench grinder nearby, and on closer examination
>>> (having taken the NVR switch etc out) I discovered that on some
>>> recent use I had rather carelessly allowed the cable to the drill
>>> to ... ahem ... get partly ground away.
>>
>> Cough. No RCD on that circuit ?
>
> Are grindstones particularly conductive?

When I posted the photos of the molten hairdrier at a gym it was the
fire brigade that said it should have tripped the RCD.

Class II equipment is well known for having an earth:-)