Membership dues are not refundable.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

SubjectAuthor
* Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
+- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upNY
`* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTheo
 +* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
 |`* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJohn Rumm
 | `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRobin
 |  +* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
 |  |+* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upMark Carver
 |  ||`* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
 |  || `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upGB
 |  ||  `- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
 |  |+* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJohn Rumm
 |  ||+- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
 |  ||`- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upAndrew
 |  |+- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRobin
 |  |`* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRoland Perry
 |  | `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upNY
 |  |  +* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTheo
 |  |  |`- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJNugent
 |  |  `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRoland Perry
 |  |   `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRobert
 |  |    `- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRoland Perry
 |  +* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upAndrew
 |  |+- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJohn Rumm
 |  |+- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRobin
 |  |+- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upChris Green
 |  |`- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upwasbit
 |  `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJohn Rumm
 |   +- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRobert
 |   `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upwasbit
 |    `- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJohn Rumm
 `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
  `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTheo
   `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRichard
    `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
     +* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRobin
     |`* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRoland Perry
     | `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
     |  `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJNugent
     |   `* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
     |    +* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTheo
     |    |+* Re: Heathrow passenger pick upTim Lamb
     |    ||`- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJNugent
     |    |`- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upRoland Perry
     |    `- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJNugent
     `- Re: Heathrow passenger pick upJNugent

Pages:12
Heathrow passenger pick up

<ierTXhPtwfgiFwGG@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52673&group=uk.d-i-y#52673

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Heathrow passenger pick up
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 08:24:29 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 16 May 2022 07:24 UTC

Moderately OT but may interest others here..

Collecting two elderly American visitors, one with a replacement leg,
from Heathrow T3 tomorrow morning and struggling to get my head around
the short term *meet and greet* parking set up!

Slots are bookable but pricing seems dependent on lateness of booking!
Are the cheap slots only available within a few hours of need?

Set down for departure seems much more straight forward although
pre-payment necessary.

T5 seemed simple enough but years ago now.

Any up to date advice?
--
Tim Lamb

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5t0vo$e7b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52677&group=uk.d-i-y#52677

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Heathrow passenger pick up
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:11:34 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:11 UTC

"Tim Lamb" <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Moderately OT but may interest others here..
>
> Collecting two elderly American visitors, one with a replacement leg, from
> Heathrow T3 tomorrow morning and struggling to get my head around the
> short term *meet and greet* parking set up!
>
> Slots are bookable but pricing seems dependent on lateness of booking! Are
> the cheap slots only available within a few hours of need?
>
> Set down for departure seems much more straight forward although
> pre-payment necessary.
>
> T5 seemed simple enough but years ago now.
>
> Any up to date advice?

Airports really have you over a barrel. Either you pay to park to drop
off/pick up, or else your passengers pay to get public transport from a
nearby station where parking is free. Either way, it costs money. Picking up
is worse, because if the plane is late or there is a hold-up in baggage
reclaim, you pay through the nose.

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<4cx*iwiOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52680&group=uk.d-i-y#52680

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 May 2022 10:15:12 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 16 May 2022 09:15 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Moderately OT but may interest others here..
>
> Collecting two elderly American visitors, one with a replacement leg,
> from Heathrow T3 tomorrow morning and struggling to get my head around
> the short term *meet and greet* parking set up!
>
> Slots are bookable but pricing seems dependent on lateness of booking!
> Are the cheap slots only available within a few hours of need?

No experience but I think 'meet and greet' is where the airport people meet
and greet *you*, ie you drop off the car with them before going to catch a
flight, rather than dropping off in a remote car park and taking a long
walk/catching a bus.

It sounds like you want 'short stay', which is £5.30 for the first half an
hour, no need to prebook:
https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heathrow-short-stay-parking

Can you find somewhere to lurk off-airport, until your people give you a
call that they're most of the way through and you come out to short stay?

Theo

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<D37Ld1Rs0hgiFwg2@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52681&group=uk.d-i-y#52681

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 10:45:16 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 16 May 2022 09:45 UTC

In message <4cx*iwiOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Moderately OT but may interest others here..
>>
>> Collecting two elderly American visitors, one with a replacement leg,
>> from Heathrow T3 tomorrow morning and struggling to get my head around
>> the short term *meet and greet* parking set up!
>>
>> Slots are bookable but pricing seems dependent on lateness of booking!
>> Are the cheap slots only available within a few hours of need?
>
>No experience but I think 'meet and greet' is where the airport people meet
>and greet *you*, ie you drop off the car with them before going to catch a
>flight, rather than dropping off in a remote car park and taking a long
>walk/catching a bus.
Ok. Terminology confusion on my part!

>It sounds like you want 'short stay', which is £5.30 for the first half an
>hour, no need to prebook:
>https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heath
>row-short-stay-parking

Awkward if it involves using a smart phone.

>Can you find somewhere to lurk off-airport, until your people give you a
>call that they're most of the way through and you come out to short stay?

Probably. My daughter will travel by train to do the actual meet so I
just need to have my car within easy walking distance from the T3
arrivals. There is *off airport* 2 hours free parking mentioned. My car
inbuilt sat nav is not up to date so the whole activity is creating a
degree of nervous exhaustion!

Thanks.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<AEA7hnSDDigiFwyM@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52682&group=uk.d-i-y#52682

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 11:00:35 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 16 May 2022 10:00 UTC

In message <4cx*iwiOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Moderately OT but may interest others here..
>>
>> Collecting two elderly American visitors, one with a replacement leg,
>> from Heathrow T3 tomorrow morning and struggling to get my head around
>> the short term *meet and greet* parking set up!
>>
>> Slots are bookable but pricing seems dependent on lateness of booking!
>> Are the cheap slots only available within a few hours of need?
>
>No experience but I think 'meet and greet' is where the airport people meet
>and greet *you*, ie you drop off the car with them before going to catch a
>flight, rather than dropping off in a remote car park and taking a long
>walk/catching a bus.
>
>It sounds like you want 'short stay', which is £5.30 for the first half an
>hour, no need to prebook:
>https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heath
>row-short-stay-parking
>
>Can you find somewhere to lurk off-airport, until your people give you a
>call that they're most of the way through and you come out to short stay?

Hmm. Booked today, a 1 hour slot is quoted at £74.00! Their advertised
prices refer to booked on the day!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5t8ue$rka$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52687&group=uk.d-i-y#52687

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 11:27:25 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 16 May 2022 10:27 UTC

On 16/05/2022 10:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <4cx*iwiOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Moderately OT but may interest others here..
>>>
>>> Collecting two elderly American visitors, one with a replacement leg,
>>> from Heathrow T3 tomorrow morning and struggling to get my head around
>>> the short term *meet and greet* parking set up!
>>>
>>> Slots are bookable but pricing seems dependent on lateness of booking!
>>> Are the cheap slots only available within a few hours of need?
>>
>> No experience but I think 'meet and greet' is where the airport people
>> meet
>> and greet *you*, ie you drop off the car with them before going to
>> catch a
>> flight, rather than dropping off in a remote car park and taking a long
>> walk/catching a bus.
> Ok. Terminology confusion on my part!
>>
>> It sounds like you want 'short stay', which is £5.30 for the first
>> half an
>> hour, no need to prebook:
>> https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heath
>> row-short-stay-parking
>
> Awkward if it involves using a smart phone.

A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav with
real time traffic information...

> My car
> inbuilt sat nav is not up to date so the whole activity is creating a
> degree of nervous exhaustion!

See above :-)

There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not your
"proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can access
parking payment apps and satnav.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<c24040ab-7620-2899-7c67-773aa24cddf9@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52695&group=uk.d-i-y#52695

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 12:08:56 +0100
 by: Robin - Mon, 16 May 2022 11:08 UTC

On 16/05/2022 11:27, John Rumm wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 10:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <4cx*iwiOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
>> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes

>>> No experience but I think 'meet and greet' is where the airport
>>> people meet
>>> and greet *you*, ie you drop off the car with them before going to
>>> catch a
>>> flight, rather than dropping off in a remote car park and taking a long
>>> walk/catching a bus.
>> Ok. Terminology confusion on my part!
>>>
>>> It sounds like you want 'short stay', which is £5.30 for the first
>>> half an
>>> hour, no need to prebook:
>>> https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heath
>>> row-short-stay-parking
>>
>> Awkward if it involves using a smart phone.
>
> A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav with
> real time traffic information...

>> My car inbuilt sat nav is not up to date so the whole activity is
>> creating a degree of nervous exhaustion!
>
> See above :-)
>
> There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not your
> "proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can access
> parking payment apps and satnav.

IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time traffic
inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone with *data*
- contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text only tariff
where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.

In the first lockdown I went back to one of the latter :)

--
Robin

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<5cx*50iOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52697&group=uk.d-i-y#52697

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 May 2022 12:26:29 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 16 May 2022 11:26 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hmm. Booked today, a 1 hour slot is quoted at £74.00! Their advertised
> prices refer to booked on the day!

That appears to be because you can only prebook per whole day. If you turn
up you can get it the hour (or first 30 / 45 mins).

I assume it's pay-on-exit of some form, so you know how long you've stayed
at the time of payment.

Short stay is priced so that you don't stay there for weeks, although they
will happily take cash off you if you have money to burn.

Theo

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<zk935IU1bjgiFwnm@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52699&group=uk.d-i-y#52699

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 12:35:17 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 16 May 2022 11:35 UTC

In message <c24040ab-7620-2899-7c67-773aa24cddf9@outlook.com>, Robin
<rbw@outlook.com> writes
>On 16/05/2022 11:27, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 16/05/2022 10:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <4cx*iwiOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
>>><theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes

>>> Ok. Terminology confusion on my part!

>>> Awkward if it involves using a smart phone.
>> A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav
>>with real time traffic information...
>
>>> My car inbuilt sat nav is not up to date so the whole activity is
>>>creating a degree of nervous exhaustion!
>> See above :-)
>> There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not
>>your "proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can
>>access parking payment apps and satnav.
>
>IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time traffic
>inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone with *data*
>- contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text only tariff
>where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.
>
>In the first lockdown I went back to one of the latter :)

Clang!

I do actually possess a MOTOe5 but object to Google knowing where I am
in the world, roughly what I am doing and who are all my contacts:-(

Word is that T3 short term parking is *take a ticket and pay on exit*.
Now why wasn't that mentioned on their glossy website?
By that time I should have a fully adapted mobile phone user as a
passenger anyway.

I'll let the team know how I get on.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5tfbf$n3n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52701&group=uk.d-i-y#52701

From: smith...@btinternet.com.invalid (Richard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:16:47 +0100
 by: Richard - Mon, 16 May 2022 12:16 UTC

On 16/05/2022 12:26, Theo wrote:
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hmm. Booked today, a 1 hour slot is quoted at £74.00! Their advertised
>> prices refer to booked on the day!
>
> That appears to be because you can only prebook per whole day. If you turn
> up you can get it the hour (or first 30 / 45 mins).
>
> I assume it's pay-on-exit of some form, so you know how long you've stayed
> at the time of payment.
>
> Short stay is priced so that you don't stay there for weeks, although they
> will happily take cash off you if you have money to burn.
>
> Theo

I don't have money to burn and they are still happy to take my cash.
Did a pick-up from Heathrow recently. Arrived 10 minutes after the
flight landed and was still screwed by delayed
baggage/immigration/whatever. £14.50 for parking :(

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<jeetqeFqkplU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52703&group=uk.d-i-y#52703

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:19:26 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 16 May 2022 12:19 UTC

On 16/05/2022 12:35, Tim Lamb wrote:

> I do actually possess a MOTOe5 but object to Google knowing where I am
> in the world, roughly what I am doing and who are all my contacts:-(

Presumably you don't have a credit card either, or don't you mind the
banks knowing your movements ?

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<Dj8Lo8UxmkgiFwxF@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52707&group=uk.d-i-y#52707

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:55:13 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 16 May 2022 12:55 UTC

In message <jeetqeFqkplU1@mid.individual.net>, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 16/05/2022 12:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>

>> I do actually possess a MOTOe5 but object to Google knowing where I
>>am in the world, roughly what I am doing and who are all my contacts:-(
>
>Presumably you don't have a credit card either, or don't you mind the
>banks knowing your movements ?

A point.
Mostly I'll be sitting at my desk for on-line purchases but which fuel
outlets I frequent might be valuable:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5tng4$hpg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52715&group=uk.d-i-y#52715

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 15:35:48 +0100
 by: GB - Mon, 16 May 2022 14:35 UTC

On 16/05/2022 13:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <jeetqeFqkplU1@mid.individual.net>, Mark Carver
> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 16/05/2022 12:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>>

>>> I do actually possess a MOTOe5 but object to Google knowing where I
>>> am  in the world, roughly what I am doing and who are all my contacts:-(
>>
>> Presumably you don't have a credit card either, or don't you mind the
>> banks knowing your movements ?
>
> A point.
>  Mostly I'll be sitting at my desk for on-line purchases but which fuel
> outlets I frequent might be valuable:-)

If your visitors are elderly, one with a replacement leg, would they be
eligible for 'special assistance' in the airport? There's often miles of
walking in the airport, and if they can't do it now is the time to speak
up, so they get taken on one of those golf buggy things the airports all
have.

From the customs hall exit to the short stay car park is a few minutes
walk for an able bodied person. Will your visitors need help with that?

Will you be allowed to pick them up somewhere closer than the car park?

I think I'd give special assistance a call. 020 8757 2700 <-- Number
from Google.

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airport/accessibility-and-mobility-help/request-assistance

Finally, if you want to save money, you can park off the airport, and
wait for your daughter to call you.

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<Owi4MTWIAngiFwBH@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52723&group=uk.d-i-y#52723

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:38:48 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 16 May 2022 15:38 UTC

In message <t5tng4$hpg$1@dont-email.me>, GB
<NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> writes
>On 16/05/2022 13:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <jeetqeFqkplU1@mid.individual.net>, Mark Carver
>><mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes

>>> Presumably you don't have a credit card either, or don't you mind
>>>the banks knowing your movements ?
>> A point.
>>  Mostly I'll be sitting at my desk for on-line purchases but which
>>fuel outlets I frequent might be valuable:-)
>>

>If your visitors are elderly, one with a replacement leg, would they be
>eligible for 'special assistance' in the airport? There's often miles
>of walking in the airport, and if they can't do it now is the time to
>speak up, so they get taken on one of those golf buggy things the
>airports all have.
Good thinking but they are American and well travelled. I'll pass on
your suggestion to my daughter who is doing the arrivals hall bit.

>From the customs hall exit to the short stay car park is a few minutes
>walk for an able bodied person. Will your visitors need help with that?
His golf clubs are being delivered! so not immobile.

>Will you be allowed to pick them up somewhere closer than the car park?
>
>I think I'd give special assistance a call. 020 8757 2700 <-- Number
>from Google.
>
>https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airport/accessibility-and-mobility-help/
>request-assistance
>

>Finally, if you want to save money, you can park off the airport, and
>wait for your daughter to call you.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5u4g9$15rv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52763&group=uk.d-i-y#52763

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:17:44 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 16 May 2022 18:17 UTC

On 16/05/2022 12:08, Robin wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 11:27, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 16/05/2022 10:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <4cx*iwiOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
>>> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes

>>> Ok. Terminology confusion on my part!

>>> Awkward if it involves using a smart phone.
>>
>> A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav with
>> real time traffic information...
>
>>> My car inbuilt sat nav is not up to date so the whole activity is
>>> creating a degree of nervous exhaustion!
>>
>> See above :-)
>>
>> There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not your
>> "proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can access
>> parking payment apps and satnav.
>
> IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time traffic
> inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone with *data*
> - contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text only tariff
> where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.
>
> In the first lockdown I went back to one of the latter :)

Really ?. Which provider ?, because I thought that the "add £10 credit
and make 1 call per 6 months and the credit just lasts and lasts" is
history.

Now PAYG seems to be more like a rolling contract but every month unused
credit is lost.

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5u6tr$e1e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52775&group=uk.d-i-y#52775

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:59:06 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 16 May 2022 18:59 UTC

On 16/05/2022 12:08, Robin wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 11:27, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 16/05/2022 10:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <4cx*iwiOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
>>> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes

>>> Ok. Terminology confusion on my part!

>>> Awkward if it involves using a smart phone.
>>
>> A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav with
>> real time traffic information...
>
>>> My car inbuilt sat nav is not up to date so the whole activity is
>>> creating a degree of nervous exhaustion!
>>
>> See above :-)
>>
>> There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not your
>> "proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can access
>> parking payment apps and satnav.
>
> IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time traffic
> inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone with *data*
> - contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text only tariff
> where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.

Indeed... although with a giffgaff PAYG SIM, if you load it with £10 of
credit, then so long as you interact with it in some way once every six
months, then it will stay active and in credit.

(they suggest send a text or make a call, I have found that just logging
into the account on the web is usually enough)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5u75j$e1e$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52777&group=uk.d-i-y#52777

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:03:15 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:03 UTC

On 16/05/2022 12:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <c24040ab-7620-2899-7c67-773aa24cddf9@outlook.com>, Robin
> <rbw@outlook.com> writes

>>>  A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav
>>> with  real time traffic information...

>>>  See above :-)
>>>  There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not
>>> your  "proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can
>>> access  parking payment apps and satnav.
>>
>> IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time
>> traffic inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone
>> with *data* - contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text
>> only tariff where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.
>>
>> In the first lockdown I went back to one of the latter :)
>
> Clang!
>
> I do actually possess a MOTOe5 but object to Google knowing where I am
> in the world, roughly what I am doing and who are all my contacts:-(

All mobile phone operators know where you are - its kind of part of the
bargain you have to go with if you want the thing to work as a phone
"everywhere" :-)

(you can turn off location history if you want, and don't have to upload
contacts)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5u7an$e1e$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52778&group=uk.d-i-y#52778

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:05:59 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:05 UTC

On 16/05/2022 19:17, Andrew wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 12:08, Robin wrote:

>>> A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav with
>>> real time traffic information...

>>> See above :-)
>>>
>>> There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not your
>>> "proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can
>>> access parking payment apps and satnav.
>>
>> IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time
>> traffic inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone
>> with *data* - contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text
>> only tariff where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.
>>
>> In the first lockdown I went back to one of the latter :)
>>

> Really ?. Which provider ?, because I thought that the "add £10 credit
> and make 1 call per 6 months and the credit just lasts and lasts" is
> history.
>
> Now PAYG seems to be more like a rolling contract but every month unused
> credit is lost.

Lots of them promote it as that, but it is not necessarily the case, but
you may have to dig past the up front offers to find what you need.

For example giffgaff will promote their "goodie bags" (fixed priced
bundles of calls, text, and data that last a month), but you don't have
to use them, you can just recharge and use in true PAYG style if you want).

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<6usVrAYxQqgiFwWN@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52784&group=uk.d-i-y#52784

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:21:21 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:21 UTC

In message <t5u75j$e1e$2@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 16/05/2022 12:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <c24040ab-7620-2899-7c67-773aa24cddf9@outlook.com>, Robin
>><rbw@outlook.com> writes
Snip
>>> On 16/05/2022 11:27, John Rumm wrote:
>> I do actually possess a MOTOe5 but object to Google knowing where I
>>am in the world, roughly what I am doing and who are all my contacts:-(
>
>All mobile phone operators know where you are - its kind of part of the
>bargain you have to go with if you want the thing to work as a phone
>"everywhere" :-)

Only if it is switched on:-)

Also I don't think Vodafone have any interest in which sites I frequent.

>(you can turn off location history if you want, and don't have to
>upload contacts)

Hmm.. transferring previous phone contact list would be very tedious
without using Google.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<bef921be-4c13-2022-da96-a7be16e9df48@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52788&group=uk.d-i-y#52788

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:47:27 +0100
 by: Robin - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:47 UTC

On 16/05/2022 12:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <c24040ab-7620-2899-7c67-773aa24cddf9@outlook.com>, Robin
> <rbw@outlook.com> writes

>>>  A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav
>>> with  real time traffic information...

>>>  See above :-)
>>>  There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not
>>> your  "proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can
>>> access  parking payment apps and satnav.
>>
>> IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time
>> traffic inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone
>> with *data* - contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text
>> only tariff where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.
>>
>> In the first lockdown I went back to one of the latter :)
>
> Clang!
>
> I do actually possess a MOTOe5 but object to Google knowing where I am
> in the world, roughly what I am doing and who are all my contacts:-(

And as I think I said before, that will run TomTom. And you can do so
without data if you don't care about live traffic information: it uses
offline maps you download off the 'net at home. So neither Google nor
TomTom have a clue where you've been or who is in your "little black
book" as was.

--
Robin

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<a80a8cf5-3aa1-fb24-ee97-fa57d2c47742@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52789&group=uk.d-i-y#52789

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 21:02:59 +0100
 by: Robin - Mon, 16 May 2022 20:02 UTC

On 16/05/2022 19:17, Andrew wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 12:08, Robin wrote:
<snip>
>> IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time
>> traffic inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone
>> with *data* - contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text
>> only tariff where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.
>>
>> In the first lockdown I went back to one of the latter :)
>>

> Really ?. Which provider ?, because I thought that the "add £10 credit
> and make 1 call per 6 months and the credit just lasts and lasts" is
> history.
>
> Now PAYG seems to be more like a rolling contract but every month unused
> credit is lost.

I had both Tesco and ASDA SIMs with old-style PAYG. Tesco have closed
the tariff to new customers but are still allowing top-ups to credit.
ASDA were still selling them earlier this year.

--
Robin

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<fumali-vh7n3.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52791&group=uk.d-i-y#52791

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:57:35 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:57 UTC

Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
> > IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time traffic
> > inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone with *data*
> > - contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text only tariff
> > where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.
> >
> > In the first lockdown I went back to one of the latter :)
> >

> Really ?. Which provider ?, because I thought that the "add £10 credit
> and make 1 call per 6 months and the credit just lasts and lasts" is
> history.

idMobile still do fairly 'old-fashioned' PAYGO.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<jefrs4F1ro3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52798&group=uk.d-i-y#52798

From: rob...@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 21:52:20 +0100
 by: Robert - Mon, 16 May 2022 20:52 UTC

On 16/05/2022 19:59, John Rumm wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 12:08, Robin wrote:

>>> A cheap smart phone also gives you a continuously updated satnav with
>>> real time traffic information...

>>> See above :-)
>>>
>>> There is an argument for having the smartphone even if it is not your
>>> "proper" mobile, and it can live in the car... That way you can
>>> access parking payment apps and satnav.
>>
>> IME it's not safe to assume everyone understands that real time
>> traffic inf and apps to pay for parking require a cheap smart phone
>> with *data* - contract or PAYG - not one with an old PAYG call/text
>> only tariff where you can just stick £5 credit on every year or 2.
>
> Indeed... although with a giffgaff PAYG SIM, if you load it with £10 of
> credit, then so long as you interact with it in some way once every six
> months, then it will stay active and in credit.
>
> (they suggest send a text or make a call, I have found that just logging
> into the account on the web is usually enough)

O2 Classic PAYG credit rolls over, still available from eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154607751673 for example

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5vr5j$ddo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52832&group=uk.d-i-y#52832

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:50:36 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:50 UTC

"John Rumm" <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote in message

> Indeed... although with a giffgaff PAYG SIM, if you load it with £10 of
> credit, then so long as you interact with it in some way once every six
> months, then it will stay active and in credit.
>
> (they suggest send a text or make a call, I have found that just logging
> into the account on the web is usually enough)

That's handy to know.
If only I had an online account.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Heathrow passenger pick up

<t5vrh5$foc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=52834&group=uk.d-i-y#52834

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:56:46 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:56 UTC

"Andrew" <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote in message

> Really ?. Which provider ?, because I thought that the "add £10 credit
> and make 1 call per 6 months and the credit just lasts and lasts" is
> history.
>
> Now PAYG seems to be more like a rolling contract but every month unused
> credit is lost.

T-Mobile.
Have to text or call every 180 days.
I lost my credit twice before I set up reminders on my PC or by marking the
calendar.

--
Regards
wasbit