From: macne...@fsmail.net ( mac)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: news.aioe.org
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 15:28:59 -0000
 by: mac - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 15:28 UTC

I am aware that a few ES users have news accounts with the above server as a
backup? I have been unable to connect to the AIOE server all week, any one
else with this problem please, of any info?
Regards Steve.

Re: news.aioe.org

<tr0tlf$1mugk$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5324&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5324

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: news.aioe.org
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:21:04 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:21 UTC

On 27/01/2023 15:28, mac wrote:
> I am aware that a few ES users have news accounts with the above server
> as a backup? I have been unable to connect to the AIOE server all week,
> any one else with this problem please, of any info?
> Regards Steve.

I have had the same problem.
The last message I received was on Monday at lunchtime. Since then I
have had an occasional error message "Cannot connect to NNTP server
46.165.242.75". I tried to find the aioe website because I remembered
that there were two news addresses, nntp.aioe for normal use and
news.aioe for a slower fallback. I wanted to find the port number for
the slow one. My browser returned a timeout error for their website.

It looks as though aioe no longer responds. Whether it will come back
again is a wait and see situation. I have set my reader to try at
intervals, so if it does come back I will know.

A hunt round the internet found a newsgroup message from a TV group that
revealed that aioe disappeared in 2021 but then came back again.

I tried a ping on 46.165.242.75 and it timed out. I tried a trace route
on it and that wandered round various servers in atlas.cogentco.com
eventually leaving for de.leaseweb.net on 212.95.37.29 and then stopped
saying that 212. address was unreachable. The range of addresses that
includes NNTP server 46.165.242.75 is administered by Leaseweb
Deutschland GmbH according to my whois search.

It looks like it is a problem on the way to aioe rather than the aioe
service itself.

Jim

Re: news.aioe.org

<tr11so$1pkrm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5325&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5325

From: macne...@fsmail.net ( mac)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:32:14 -0000
 by: mac - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:32 UTC

Thank you for your in-depth response. It's wait and see what happens next
then?

--
Regards Steve.

"Indy Jess John" <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote in message
> On 27/01/2023 15:28, mac wrote:
>> I am aware that a few ES users have news accounts with the above server
>> as a backup? I have been unable to connect to the AIOE server all week,
>> any one else with this problem please, of any info?
>> Regards Steve.
>
> I have had the same problem.
> The last message I received was on Monday at lunchtime. Since then I have
> had an occasional error message "Cannot connect to NNTP server
> 46.165.242.75". I tried to find the aioe website because I remembered
> that there were two news addresses, nntp.aioe for normal use and news.aioe
> for a slower fallback. I wanted to find the port number for the slow one.
> My browser returned a timeout error for their website.
>
> It looks as though aioe no longer responds. Whether it will come back
> again is a wait and see situation. I have set my reader to try at
> intervals, so if it does come back I will know.
>
> A hunt round the internet found a newsgroup message from a TV group that
> revealed that aioe disappeared in 2021 but then came back again.
>
> I tried a ping on 46.165.242.75 and it timed out. I tried a trace route
> on it and that wandered round various servers in atlas.cogentco.com
> eventually leaving for de.leaseweb.net on 212.95.37.29 and then stopped
> saying that 212. address was unreachable. The range of addresses that
> includes NNTP server 46.165.242.75 is administered by Leaseweb Deutschland
> GmbH according to my whois search.
>
> It looks like it is a problem on the way to aioe rather than the aioe
> service itself.
>
> Jim

Re: news.aioe.org

<tr133c$1pp1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5326&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5326

From: phawk...@totalise.co.uk (Peter Hawkins)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:53:48 +0000
 by: Peter Hawkins - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:53 UTC

On 27/01/2023 17:32, mac wrote:
> Thank you for your in-depth response. It's wait and see what happens
> next then?

I too have had no response from aioe for a few days, either on
newsgroups or their website.
I have started to use eternal-september after some teething problems.
Yes, just wait and see with aioe.