Sure he's sharp as a razor ... he's a two-dimensional pinhead!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

SubjectAuthor
* Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
+* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?David Brooks
|`* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
| +* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?Graham J
| |`* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
| | `- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?Graham J
| `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?David Brooks
|  `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
|   +- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)nospam
|   +* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?Andy Hewitt
|   |`* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)nospam
|   | `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
|   |  +* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
|   |  |`- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?David Brooks
|   |  +* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Steve Carroll
|   |  |`* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
|   |  | `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?David Brooks
|   |  |  `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Varnee McSwain
|   |  |   `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?David Brooks
|   |  |    +- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Varnee McSwain
|   |  |    `- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
|   |  `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?Andy Hewitt
|   |   +* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
|   |   |+- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Steven Carrolll - frelwizen
|   |   |`* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova
|   |   | `- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)D.M. Procida
|   |   `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Michael Glasser
|   |    `- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Michael Glasser
|   `* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?David Brooks
|    `- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)nospam
`* Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Stefen Petruzzellis
 `- Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)Amanda Ripanykhazova

Pages:12
Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<272fc83d-e8f6-4be9-acd1-dedb743454ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5336&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5336

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 07:46:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:46 UTC

I am having a problem playing slideshows

I have a 38GB library iPhoto file with everything stored locally. I have been used to selecting all and the playing a slideshow as a screen saver when I am not using the computer. But I cant do this with an iPhoto library converted to Photos\

I dont use iCloud. But on my iMac, I did change my iPhoto library to Photos when i installed Catalina. It updated the library. I now have two libraries, both of about 38GB. (Yes, I DO know that the Photos library MIRRORS the iPhoto library without actually creating another 38GB file)

But this slideshow will not play on my iMac. It gives the curious cant-access-internet error as a reason why it cant play slides stored locally!

Does the process of creating a Photos library involve storing the iPhoto library on iCloud, - and using it thereafter unbeknownst to the user? Does the Photos library mirror the library now stored on iCloud instead of the old iphotos library stored locally? (I dont have iCloud even enabled on my iMac and I do seem to be able to access pictures on that computer, so I assume it is accessing them locally? Yes, I DO get the continuous nag screens telling me I have to agree to new terms and conditions. I suppose I will continue to get them until someone else accidentally agrees to those terms and conditions without my knowledge!)

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<p0mCJ.20029$SVq5.9655@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5343&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5343

Subject: Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet?
(continued)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@geemail.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:57:09 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:57 UTC

On 08/01/2022 15:46, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> I am having a problem playing slideshows
>
> I have a 38GB library iPhoto file with everything stored locally. I have been used to selecting all and the playing a slideshow as a screen saver when I am not using the computer. But I cant do this with an iPhoto library converted to Photos\
>
> I dont use iCloud. But on my iMac, I did change my iPhoto library to Photos when i installed Catalina. It updated the library. I now have two libraries, both of about 38GB. (Yes, I DO know that the Photos library MIRRORS the iPhoto library without actually creating another 38GB file)
>
> But this slideshow will not play on my iMac. It gives the curious cant-access-internet error as a reason why it cant play slides stored locally!
>
> Does the process of creating a Photos library involve storing the iPhoto library on iCloud, - and using it thereafter unbeknownst to the user? Does the Photos library mirror the library now stored on iCloud instead of the old iphotos library stored locally? (I dont have iCloud even enabled on my iMac and I do seem to be able to access pictures on that computer, so I assume it is accessing them locally? Yes, I DO get the continuous nag screens telling me I have to agree to new terms and conditions. I suppose I will continue to get them until someone else accidentally agrees to those terms and conditions without my knowledge!)

Hello Amanda

First, I selected a few photos to play as a slideshow from Photos
I then disconnected my wi-fi connection to my router
I then played the slideshow satisfactorily

I therefore conclude that NO internet connection is required to play a
slideshow on my iMac.

HTH

--
David

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<ebbe7480-102c-415f-a2d8-09502c6d9872n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5351&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5351

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:23:58 -0800 (PST)
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 23:23 UTC

Thanks for that David. I think I have figured out what is wrong. (I have no idea what to do about it)

I looked at the small print below the error message. It says it cant download enough of the full version of the pictures I am highlighting.

Why is it downloading anything?

So when Photos made its Photos version of the pic which is in the iPhoto library, NATURALLY it sorta ghosted the pics into mini-thumbnails. Now when it needs to look at the pic for any reason, it doesn't know to look at the iPhoto library. So it looks to iCloud! Where the full version isn't. In fact, it crashes the program even if I try to edit ONE solitary picture! Because it can't figure out why it cant see it on iCloud.

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<sreb55$hrb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5364&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5364

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
(continued)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 09:50:28 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 09:50 UTC

Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> Thanks for that David. I think I have figured out what is wrong. (I have no idea what to do about it)
>
> I looked at the small print below the error message. It says it cant download enough of the full version of the pictures I am highlighting.
>
> Why is it downloading anything?
>
> So when Photos made its Photos version of the pic which is in the iPhoto library, NATURALLY it sorta ghosted the pics into mini-thumbnails. Now when it needs to look at the pic for any reason, it doesn't know to look at the iPhoto library. So it looks to iCloud! Where the full version isn't. In fact, it crashes the program even if I try to edit ONE solitary picture! Because it can't figure out why it cant see it on iCloud.

Before anything else goes wrong, can you copy your pictures to backup
media such as DVD?

Then use a different machine - perhaps a PC - not connected to the
internet in any way whatever - copy the pictures from the DVDs to that
machine and edit them there?

--
Graham J

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<85e91bc6-119c-425c-abd9-824eea786796n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5371&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5371

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 05:00:24 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Stefen Petruzzellis)
 by: Stefen Petruzzellis - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:00 UTC

On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 8:46:35 AM UTC-7, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> I am having a problem playing slideshows
>
> I have a 38GB library iPhoto file with everything stored locally. I have been used to selecting all and the playing a slideshow as a screen saver when I am not using the computer. But I cant do this with an iPhoto library converted to Photos\
>
> I dont use iCloud. But on my iMac, I did change my iPhoto library to Photos when i installed Catalina. It updated the library. I now have two libraries, both of about 38GB. (Yes, I DO know that the Photos library MIRRORS the iPhoto library without actually creating another 38GB file)
>
> But this slideshow will not play on my iMac. It gives the curious cant-access-internet error as a reason why it cant play slides stored locally!
>
> Does the process of creating a Photos library involve storing the iPhoto library on iCloud, - and using it thereafter unbeknownst to the user? Does the Photos library mirror the library now stored on iCloud instead of the old iphotos library stored locally? (I dont have iCloud even enabled on my iMac and I do seem to be able to access pictures on that computer, so I assume it is accessing them locally? Yes, I DO get the continuous nag screens telling me I have to agree to new terms and conditions. I suppose I will continue to get them until someone else accidentally agrees to those terms and conditions without my knowledge!)

FromTheRafters has yet to show how ChromeOS does anything above the lowest
common denominator on Linux.

Perhaps you use it erroneously. Do you not fathom the use of https?
See: I noted specific examples of FromTheRafters trolling multiple groups,
failing to rise up and instead putting others down, etc. His response:
to repeat the same nonsense. Several of us reported FromTheRafters years
ago. As expected, it did squat to derail the dunderhead. FromTheRafters
does not know if there is a encumbered open source solution or not. What
is your evidence?

--
I Left My Husband & Daughter At Home And THIS happened!!
https://search.givewater.com/serp?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<fd673197-2017-449b-80cd-9bd2798a0d71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5378&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5378

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 06:54:56 -0800 (PST)
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 14:54 UTC

rongfred. Mebbe it is your reader submitting it incorrectly. You need to delete your data from your NG reader, restart your computer and re-install the reader.

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<7563aa5a-8bd5-411b-b105-8dce2e6bf775n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5382&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5382

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 07:47:44 -0800 (PST)
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 15:47 UTC

> Before anything else goes wrong, can you copy your pictures to backup
> media such as DVD?
>
> Then use a different machine - perhaps a PC - not connected to the
> internet in any way whatever - copy the pictures from the DVDs to that
> machine and edit them there?
>
> --
> Graham J

Well, I know I could edit pics in iPhoto before Photos created the mirror of the iPhoto library. I know that the Photos library MIRRORS the iPhoto library and only contains (at most) thumbnails. I know I cant now edit those thumbnails in Photos. How would creating another version of the thumbnails on DVD help me?

Aren't I trying to figure out why the Photos thumbnails doesn't point to the iPhoto library for the full versions of the file?

Surely the only way to edit the full version (on a PC) is to Show Package Contents or otherwise expand the iPhoto library in some way into it's constituent JPGs? You are suggesting I am on the wrong track in trying to figure out why the Photos library doesn't point to its mirror for the full versions of the pictures?

(Everything is fully backed up)

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<IRECJ.10595$0Kl7.9330@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5390&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5390

(continued)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@geemail.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:22:48 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:22 UTC

On 08/01/2022 23:23, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> Thanks for that David. I think I have figured out what is wrong. (I have no idea what to do about it)
>
> I looked at the small print below the error message. It says it cant download enough of the full version of the pictures I am highlighting.
>
> Why is it downloading anything?
>
> So when Photos made its Photos version of the pic which is in the iPhoto library, NATURALLY it sorta ghosted the pics into mini-thumbnails. Now when it needs to look at the pic for any reason, it doesn't know to look at the iPhoto library. So it looks to iCloud! Where the full version isn't. In fact, it crashes the program even if I try to edit ONE solitary picture! Because it can't figure out why it cant see it on iCloud.

Forgive my failing memory but I do recall the 'switch' from iPhotos to
Photos and the complete mess I got myself into! I also had a failing
hard drive at around the same time! I eventually had a new hard drive
fitted, ditched iPhotos alltogether and put all of my photographs into
Photos. Unlike you, I do pay for Apple storage (not much!) and love the
way I can take a photograph on my iPhone or iPad and have them available
almost instantly on my iMac. Everything just works - automagically!

I'm using macOS Monterey and have experienced no problems at all with
Photos.

My recomendation is to use iCloud and dump iPhoto.

--
David

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<626d81b4-1932-42e6-b52f-ea06481e99d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5393&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5393

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 09:39:50 -0800 (PST)
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:39 UTC

On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 12:22:51 PM UTC-5, David Brooks wrote:

> Forgive my failing memory but I do recall the 'switch' from iPhotos to
> Photos and the complete mess I got myself into! I also had a failing
> hard drive at around the same time! I eventually had a new hard drive
> fitted, ditched iPhotos alltogether and put all of my photographs into
> Photos. Unlike you, I do pay for Apple storage (not much!) and love the
> way I can take a photograph on my iPhone or iPad and have them available
> almost instantly on my iMac. Everything just works - automagically!
>
> I'm using macOS Monterey and have experienced no problems at all with
> Photos.
>
> My recomendation is to use iCloud and dump iPhoto.
>
> --
> David

This computer isn't using iPhoto any more.

It is just the library which IS 38GB in size. Is Photos just pretending that it can use locally stored pictures, when in reality it cant work that way any more? Why did it bother to create its mirror file if it in reality cant access the 'hard copies' in the mirrored file and wasn't putting ITS OWN hard copies in the iCloud?

Your last message said that you had your photos stored locally and you could use them when not connected to your network.

Do we now think that Photos can't support locally stored pictures? That may be true but I had never seen this inability to use a locally stored library as a feature/disadvantage of Photos?

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<090120221244050081%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5394&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5394

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 12:44:05 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:44 UTC

In article <626d81b4-1932-42e6-b52f-ea06481e99d3n@googlegroups.com>,
Amanda Ripanykhazova <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do we now think that Photos can't support locally stored pictures?

of course it can.

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<srf9h6$957$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5399&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5399

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
(continued)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:28:52 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:28 UTC

Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:

>> Before anything else goes wrong, can you copy your pictures to backup
>> media such as DVD?
>>
>> Then use a different machine - perhaps a PC - not connected to the
>> internet in any way whatever - copy the pictures from the DVDs to that
>> machine and edit them there?
>>
>> --
>> Graham J
>
> Well, I know I could edit pics in iPhoto before Photos created the mirror of the iPhoto library. I know that the Photos library MIRRORS the iPhoto library and only contains (at most) thumbnails. I know I cant now edit those thumbnails in Photos. How would creating another version of the thumbnails on DVD help me?

No, you create a copy of the high definition files, in a manner that
can't be corrupted.

> Aren't I trying to figure out why the Photos thumbnails doesn't point to the iPhoto library for the full versions of the file?

If nobody here can tell you how to achieve that, then using a non-Apple
platform may be the only solution.

> Surely the only way to edit the full version (on a PC) is to Show Package Contents or otherwise expand the iPhoto library in some way into it's constituent JPGs?

Exactly.

You are suggesting I am on the wrong track in trying to figure out why
the Photos library doesn't point to its mirror for the full versions of
the pictures?

No, you would have to use a different image editing app, so that you
avoid the limitations you've identified.

--
Graham J

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<srfhti$753$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5405&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5405

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
(continued)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 20:52:01 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 20:52 UTC

On 09/01/2022 17:39, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 12:22:51 PM UTC-5, David Brooks wrote:
>
>> Forgive my failing memory but I do recall the 'switch' from iPhotos to
>> Photos and the complete mess I got myself into! I also had a failing
>> hard drive at around the same time! I eventually had a new hard drive
>> fitted, ditched iPhotos alltogether and put all of my photographs into
>> Photos. Unlike you, I do pay for Apple storage (not much!) and love the
>> way I can take a photograph on my iPhone or iPad and have them available
>> almost instantly on my iMac. Everything just works - automagically!
>>
>> I'm using macOS Monterey and have experienced no problems at all with
>> Photos.
>>
>> My recomendation is to use iCloud and dump iPhoto.
>>
>> --
>> David
>

> This computer isn't using iPhoto any more.
>
> It is just the library which IS 38GB in size. Is Photos just pretending that it can use locally stored pictures, when in reality it cant work that way any more? Why did it bother to create its mirror file if it in reality cant access the 'hard copies' in the mirrored file and wasn't putting ITS OWN hard copies in the iCloud?
>
> Your last message said that you had your photos stored locally and you could use them when not connected to your network.
>
> Do we now think that Photos can't support locally stored pictures? That may be true but I had never seen this inability to use a locally stored library as a feature/disadvantage of Photos?

I think the issue may just be down to trying to convert the iPhoto
library to a Photos library. I remember having untold amounts of bother
doing this some while back (a few years), even converting from an
Aperture library was not reliable.

Photos definitely works OK with local storage otherwise.

In the meantime I spent a while using Lightroom, but when I got my iPad
Pro in 2020, I decided to ditch Lightroom and go with Photos again, this
has meant a bit of work though.

I opted for the 2TB iCloud storage plan, and freshly imported the entire
collection into Photos, and recreated my folder/album layout (look up
Old Toad on the Apple Photos forum, and search for his scripts to make
this easier).

Initially I went with an 'Optimised' setting, so that the masters were
only stored in the cloud, as my internal SSD was too small to store a
full library. So far this has proven to be a stable setup.

However, just before the end of 2021 I decided to move the Library to an
external 1TB drive, and unset the 'Optimised' option, so that I can keep
a full copy locally. It means that I have my photos on four local hard
drives (local Photos Library + TM backup, and a local external archive +
backup), as well as in the cloud.

Just one more thought. How have you got the 'Copy Items to Photos
Library' set? If it's selected, then all your originals are within the
library. If it's not set, then this is a 'referenced' library, and the
originals are outside the Library in a normal folder somewhere - that
could be the cause of the issues.

--
Andy H

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<fjICJ.14583$ASha.1055@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5407&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5407

(continued)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@geemail.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:19:06 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:19 UTC

On 09/01/2022 17:39, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 12:22:51 PM UTC-5, David Brooks wrote:
>
>> Forgive my failing memory but I do recall the 'switch' from iPhotos to
>> Photos and the complete mess I got myself into! I also had a failing
>> hard drive at around the same time! I eventually had a new hard drive
>> fitted, ditched iPhotos alltogether and put all of my photographs into
>> Photos. Unlike you, I do pay for Apple storage (not much!) and love the
>> way I can take a photograph on my iPhone or iPad and have them available
>> almost instantly on my iMac. Everything just works - automagically!
>>
>> I'm using macOS Monterey and have experienced no problems at all with
>> Photos.
>>
>> My recomendation is to use iCloud and dump iPhoto.
>>
>> --
>> David
>

> This computer isn't using iPhoto any more.
>
> It is just the library which IS 38GB in size. Is Photos just pretending that it can use locally stored pictures, when in reality it cant work that way any more? Why did it bother to create its mirror file if it in reality cant access the 'hard copies' in the mirrored file and wasn't putting ITS OWN hard copies in the iCloud?
>
> Your last message said that you had your photos stored locally and you could use them when not connected to your network.
>
> Do we now think that Photos can't support locally stored pictures? That may be true but I had never seen this inability to use a locally stored library as a feature/disadvantage of Photos?

No. I have all of my photos stored on my iMac locally. They are also in
my iCloud.

The REALLY important ones I also have on CDs! ;-)

--
David

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<090120221622102845%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5408&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5408

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 16:22:10 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:22 UTC

In article <fjICJ.14583$ASha.1055@fx06.ams1>, David Brooks
<David@geemail.invalid> wrote:

> The REALLY important ones I also have on CDs! ;-)

of course you do. what better choice than the least reliable media.

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<090120221622112899%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5409&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5409

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 16:22:11 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:22 UTC

In article <srfhti$753$1@dont-email.me>, Andy Hewitt
<thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> I think the issue may just be down to trying to convert the iPhoto
> library to a Photos library. I remember having untold amounts of bother
> doing this some while back (a few years), even converting from an
> Aperture library was not reliable.

what problems did you have?

the conversion process is nothing more than creating a new library and
linking to the original photos so there's no duplication or wasted disk
space.

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<de92a696-9e4e-4d02-b5b0-ef9496973a24n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5410&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5410

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:42:33 -0800 (PST)
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:42 UTC

> the conversion process is nothing more than creating a new library and
> linking to the original photos so there's no duplication or wasted disk
> space.
The whole reason for this thread is because the conversion DIDN'T link to the original photos! It seems to link to some non-existent iCloud library.

I now discover from Andy that I have to create that new library and enable some option to 'Copy Items to Photos
Library somewhere or other. And then presumably delete the iPhoto library (which would no longer work in any post-Mojave OS anyway)

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<69b9b20b-264c-4459-98f2-d8f6c174e480n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5412&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5412

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:10:28 -0800 (PST)
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 00:10 UTC

WELL, This is indeed a real mess! Good thing the original files are on my main computer, and backed up and nothing I can try here can do any damage. I tried re-creating the Photos library from the iPhoto library and it told me that it has done this once and can't do it again, either with or without the new Photos library file being deleted. (I now wonder if there is some plist file which needs deleting to implement this change?)

There IS a choice to use the library file as a system disk, and not store on iCloud but trying to implement that didnt let me use the full sized picture files either.

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<9XQCJ.150549$onI5.14424@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5414&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5414

(continued)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@geemail.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 07:07:49 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 07:07 UTC

On 10/01/2022 00:10, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:

> WELL, This is indeed a real mess! Good thing the original files are on my main computer, and backed up and nothing I can try here can do any damage. I tried re-creating the Photos library from the iPhoto library and it told me that it has done this once and can't do it again, either with or without the new Photos library file being deleted. (I now wonder if there is some plist file which needs deleting to implement this change?)
>
> There IS a choice to use the library file as a system disk, and not store on iCloud but trying to implement that didnt let me use the full sized picture files either.

You may send feedback on Photos to Apple using this proforma

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos/

You might also find great help on the ASC forums.

Good luck! 😎

--
Regards,
David

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<18b9a988-9455-4537-8559-78f98b144d8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5415&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5415

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 00:23:02 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Steve Carroll)
 by: Steve Carroll - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:23 UTC

On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 2:42:34 PM UTC-7, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> > the conversion process is nothing more than creating a new library and
> > linking to the original photos so there's no duplication or wasted disk
> > space.
> The whole reason for this thread is because the conversion DIDN'T link to the original photos! It seems to link to some non-existent iCloud library.
>
> I now discover from Andy that I have to create that new library and enable some option to 'Copy Items to Photos
> Library somewhere or other. And then presumably delete the iPhoto library (which would no longer work in any post-Mojave OS anyway)

You are safe as a electronics user can be.

Just look at your 'tasks' and look at Snit Michael Glasser's, there is
nothing for Snit Michael Glasser to learn from a jerk like Despicable
Owl. But knock yourself out, let him keep making a blockhead of himself.
It is not like anyone believes him. And you do realize that it isn't impossible
for Despicable Owl to be doing this, or to have his uploaded consciousness
doing it for him.

Despicable Owl and Snit Michael Glasser both lie repeatedly and flagrantly
and continue to do so. So no motivation in showing any further courtesy
or judiciousness.

--
What Every Entrepreneur Must Know!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOfBmWwCVY
Narcissistic Bigot Steve Carroll

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<0bda2cbf-edd6-4d33-8896-3ac82fa5564an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5418&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5418

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 05:50:53 -0800 (PST)
References: <272fc83d-e8f6-4be9-acd1-dedb743454ebn@googlegroups.com> <p0mCJ.20029$SVq5.9655@fx14.ams1> <ebbe7480-102c-415f-a2d8-09502c6d9872n@googlegroups.com> <IRECJ.10595$0Kl7.9330@fx11.ams1> <626d81b4-1932-42e6-b52f-ea06481e99d3n@googlegroups.com> <srfhti$753$1@dont-email.me> <090120221622112899%nospam@nospam.invalid> <de92a696-9e4e-4d02-b5b0-ef9496973a24n@googlegroups.com> <18b9a988-9455-4537-8559-78f98b144d8an@googlegroups.com>
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:50 UTC

Second wrong thread. Maybe it is your reader submitting it incorrectly. You need to delete your data from your NG reader, restart your computer and re-install the reader. Are you aware that your postings are making you look like a raving looney?

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<rYXCJ.637$wMI.117@fx03.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5421&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5421

(continued)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@geemail.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:07:01 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:07 UTC

On 10/01/2022 13:50, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> Second wrong thread. Maybe it is your reader submitting it incorrectly. You need to delete your data from your NG reader, restart your computer and re-install the reader. Are you aware that your postings are making you look like a raving looney?

Any poster with this in the address is a 'bot' - "frelwizzen"

Sadly, I am uncertain who is doing such a stupid thing.

HTH

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<XnsAE1B6A6E5C49C5200933222@46.165.242.75>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5422&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5422

From: mcswainv...@hopemail.net (Varnee McSwain)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,talk.politics.guns
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:27:45 -0000 (UTC)
References: <272fc83d-e8f6-4be9-acd1-dedb743454ebn@googlegroups.com> <p0mCJ.20029$SVq5.9655@fx14.ams1> <ebbe7480-102c-415f-a2d8-09502c6d9872n@googlegroups.com> <IRECJ.10595$0Kl7.9330@fx11.ams1> <626d81b4-1932-42e6-b52f-ea06481e99d3n@googlegroups.com> <srfhti$753$1@dont-email.me> <090120221622112899%nospam@nospam.invalid> <de92a696-9e4e-4d02-b5b0-ef9496973a24n@googlegroups.com> <18b9a988-9455-4537-8559-78f98b144d8an@googlegroups.com> <0bda2cbf-edd6-4d33-8896-3ac82fa5564an@googlegroups.com> <rYXCJ.637$wMI.117@fx03.ams1>
 by: Varnee McSwain - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:27 UTC

David Brooks <David@geemail.invalid> wrote in

> On 10/01/2022 13:50, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
>> Second wrong thread. Maybe it is your reader submitting it
>> incorrectly. You need to delete your data from your NG reader,
>> restart your computer and re-install the reader. Are you aware
>> that your postings are making you look like a raving looney?
>
> Any poster with this in the address is a 'bot' - "frelwizzen"
>
> Sadly, I am uncertain who is doing such a stupid thing.

It's snit Michael Glasser who hails from PRescott Arizona USA
Read all about snit here:

<https://tinyurl.com/WhatIsSnit>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitliesmethods>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snit-Reviews>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitlies>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitwhopperlie>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snit-teddybear>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitonduck>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitongoogle>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse1>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse2>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse3>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse4>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse5>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse6>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse7>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse8>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse9>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse10>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse11>

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<4wYCJ.160256$onI5.147395@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5423&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5423

(continued)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,talk.politics.guns
<rYXCJ.637$wMI.117@fx03.ams1> <XnsAE1B6A6E5C49C5200933222@46.165.242.75>
From: Dav...@geemail.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:45:03 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:45 UTC

On 10/01/2022 15:27, Varnee McSwain wrote:
> David Brooks <David@geemail.invalid> wrote in
>
>> On 10/01/2022 13:50, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
>>> Second wrong thread. Maybe it is your reader submitting it
>>> incorrectly. You need to delete your data from your NG reader,
>>> restart your computer and re-install the reader. Are you aware
>>> that your postings are making you look like a raving looney?
>>
>> Any poster with this in the address is a 'bot' - "frelwizzen"
>>
>> Sadly, I am uncertain who is doing such a stupid thing.
>
> It's snit Michael Glasser who hails from PRescott Arizona USA

I don't believe you.

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<XnsAE1B6DFA039955200933222@46.165.242.75>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5424&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5424

From: mcswainv...@hopemail.net (Varnee McSwain)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,talk.politics.guns,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:48:40 -0000 (UTC)
References: <272fc83d-e8f6-4be9-acd1-dedb743454ebn@googlegroups.com> <p0mCJ.20029$SVq5.9655@fx14.ams1> <ebbe7480-102c-415f-a2d8-09502c6d9872n@googlegroups.com> <IRECJ.10595$0Kl7.9330@fx11.ams1> <626d81b4-1932-42e6-b52f-ea06481e99d3n@googlegroups.com> <srfhti$753$1@dont-email.me> <090120221622112899%nospam@nospam.invalid> <de92a696-9e4e-4d02-b5b0-ef9496973a24n@googlegroups.com> <18b9a988-9455-4537-8559-78f98b144d8an@googlegroups.com> <0bda2cbf-edd6-4d33-8896-3ac82fa5564an@googlegroups.com> <rYXCJ.637$wMI.117@fx03.ams1> <XnsAE1B6A6E5C49C5200933222@46.165.242.75> <4wYCJ.160256$onI5.147395@fx13.ams1>
 by: Varnee McSwain - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:48 UTC

David Brooks <David@geemail.invalid> wrote in news:4wYCJ.160256
$onI5.147395@fx13.ams1:

> On 10/01/2022 15:27, Varnee McSwain wrote:
>> David Brooks <David@geemail.invalid> wrote in

>>> Any poster with this in the address is a 'bot' - "frelwizzen"
>>>
>>> Sadly, I am uncertain who is doing such a stupid thing.
>>
>> It's snit Michael Glasser who hails from PRescott Arizona USA
>
> I don't believe you.

I don't give a rat's ass what you believe.
Apparently you have your own page as well.

<https://tinyurl.com/StalkerDavid>

Snit Michael Glasser:

<https://tinyurl.com/WhatIsSnit>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitliesmethods>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snit-Reviews>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitlies>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitwhopperlie>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snit-teddybear>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitonduck>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitongoogle>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse1>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse2>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse3>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse4>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse5>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse6>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse7>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse8>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse9>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse10>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse11>

Re: Can Photos play a slideshow without accessing the internet? (continued)

<srhllp$154$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5426&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#5426

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
(continued)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:08:25 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:08 UTC

On 09/01/2022 21:42, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:

>> the conversion process is nothing more than creating a new library and
>> linking to the original photos so there's no duplication or wasted disk
>> space.
> The whole reason for this thread is because the conversion DIDN'T link to the original photos! It seems to link to some non-existent iCloud library.
>
> I now discover from Andy that I have to create that new library and enable some option to 'Copy Items to Photos
> Library somewhere or other. And then presumably delete the iPhoto library (which would no longer work in any post-Mojave OS anyway)

Not at all, it's things to check. It just looks like there is a problem
with the conversion, and I'm only suggesting possible ways around it.

--
Andy H