I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean. -- G. K. Chesterton

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Re: Tablet choice

SubjectAuthor
* Tablet choiceDavey
+* Re: Tablet choiceMartin Gregorie
|`- Re: Tablet choiceDavey
+* Re: Tablet choiceVincent Coen
|+* Re: Tablet choiceFolderol
||`* Re: Tablet choiceVincent Coen
|| `- Re: Tablet choiceFP
|`* Re: Tablet choiceDavey
| `* Re: Tablet choiceVincent Coen
|  `* Re: Tablet choiceDavey
|   +* Re: Tablet choiceTheo
|   |+* Re: Tablet choiceRichard Kettlewell
|   ||`- Re: Tablet choiceTom
|   |`* Re: Tablet choiceDavey
|   | `* Re: Tablet choiceVincent Coen
|   |  `* Re: Tablet choiceDavey
|   |   +* Re: Tablet choiceJava Jive
|   |   |`* Re: Tablet choiceDavey
|   |   | `* Re: Tablet choiceWilliam Unruh
|   |   |  `- Re: Tablet choiceDavey
|   |   +- Re: Tablet choiceVincent Coen
|   |   `* Re: Tablet choiceWilliam Unruh
|   |    `* Re: Tablet choiceDavey
|   |     `* Re: Tablet choiceWilliam Unruh
|   |      `* Re: Tablet choiceTheo
|   |       `- Re: Tablet choiceDavey
|   `- Re: Tablet choiceVincent Coen
`- Re: Tablet choiceDavey

Pages:12
Tablet choice

<sjc2ar$gn0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=522&group=uk.comp.os.linux#522

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Tablet choice
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 11:57:31 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 10:57 UTC

I am a Linux (Ubuntu) user, whose only mobile device is a basic dumb
mobile 'phone, which has a camera. Until now, I have had no interest in
anything "Smart-'phone" or similar, but now I have a need for something
like a tablet for use in the bedroom for checking e-mails etc. This is
brought on by a severely sprained foot, created when I fell down some
steps and landed up with one foot twisted underneath me. Thermos flasks
went flying, a plate broke, and I chipped my wife's favourite coffee
mug. Mobility is not my strong suit for several weeks.
I have a WiFi network downstairs, which is where the main and
Zoneminder computers live. At the end of each day, all updated files are
backed up to the Zoneminder PC, which is hard-wired. The main PC
connects either by cable or WiFi as appropriate. I am looking for
recommendations for a tablet suitable for accessing my e-mails and
backed-up files. If it connects to the WiFi Network, it should be ok.
I know nothing of tablets, except that they seem ubiquitous now. TV
presenters, the staff at Specsavers, everyone seems to have one (or
more). I don't need loads of 'apps' (horrid word), I just need basic
internet accessibility via WiFi. I don't need to spend multiple hundreds
of pounds, either. Firefox and Thunderbird are my browser and e-mail
programmes of use, and LibreOffice for spreadsheets, writing, etc.
Suggestions and recommendations welcome. As I say, I have no knowledge
of them at all.
--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<sjc9s0$116$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=523&group=uk.comp.os.linux#523

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Tablet choice
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 13:06:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 13:06 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 11:57:31 +0100, Davey wrote:

> I am a Linux (Ubuntu) user, whose only mobile device is a basic dumb
> mobile 'phone, which has a camera. Until now, I have had no interest in
> anything "Smart-'phone" or similar, but now I have a need for something
> like a tablet for use in the bedroom for checking e-mails etc. This is
> brought on by a severely sprained foot, created when I fell down some
> steps and landed up with one foot twisted underneath me. Thermos flasks
> went flying, a plate broke, and I chipped my wife's favourite coffee
> mug. Mobility is not my strong suit for several weeks.
> I have a WiFi network downstairs, which is where the main and Zoneminder
> computers live. At the end of each day, all updated files are backed up
> to the Zoneminder PC, which is hard-wired. The main PC connects either
> by cable or WiFi as appropriate. I am looking for recommendations for a
> tablet suitable for accessing my e-mails and backed-up files. If it
> connects to the WiFi Network, it should be ok.
> I know nothing of tablets, except that they seem ubiquitous now. TV
> presenters, the staff at Specsavers, everyone seems to have one (or
> more). I don't need loads of 'apps' (horrid word), I just need basic
> internet accessibility via WiFi. I don't need to spend multiple hundreds
> of pounds, either. Firefox and Thunderbird are my browser and e-mail
> programmes of use, and LibreOffice for spreadsheets, writing, etc.
> Suggestions and recommendations welcome. As I say, I have no knowledge
> of them at all.

Does it have to run Linux?

If not, could well be worth looking at lightweight laptops, such as the
Lenovo Yoga or those with names ending in 'book'. There are quite a lot
on eBay for reasonable prices: around GBP 150. I'm suggesting this
because you may not get on with using a keyboard thats just an image on a
touch-sensitive screen: I don't. Some of the Lenovos in this category
even have the red mouse controller 'joystick' in the middle of the
keyboard as well as a touch pad.

FWIW in 2017 I got a Lenovo T440 off eBay for GBP 300. It was and is in
good condition and has been my everyday computer since then, running
Fedora.

HTH

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: Tablet choice

<1633271469@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=524&group=uk.comp.os.linux#524

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 15:31:09 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 14:31 UTC

Hello Davey!

Sunday October 03 2021 11:57, Davey wrote to All:

> I am a Linux (Ubuntu) user, whose only mobile device is a basic dumb
> mobile 'phone, which has a camera. Until now, I have had no interest
> in anything "Smart-'phone" or similar, but now I have a need for
> something like a tablet for use in the bedroom for checking e-mails
> etc. This is brought on by a severely sprained foot, created when I
> fell down some steps and landed up with one foot twisted underneath
> me. Thermos flasks went flying, a plate broke, and I chipped my wife's
> favourite coffee mug. Mobility is not my strong suit for several
> weeks. I have a WiFi network downstairs, which is where the main
> and Zoneminder computers live. At the end of each day, all updated
> files are backed up to the Zoneminder PC, which is hard-wired. The
> main PC connects either by cable or WiFi as appropriate. I am looking
> for recommendations for a tablet suitable for accessing my e-mails and
> backed-up files. If it connects to the WiFi Network, it should be ok.
> I know nothing of tablets, except that they seem ubiquitous now. TV
> presenters, the staff at Specsavers, everyone seems to have one (or
> more). I don't need loads of 'apps' (horrid word), I just need basic
> internet accessibility via WiFi. I don't need to spend multiple
> hundreds of pounds, either. Firefox and Thunderbird are my browser and
> e-mail programmes of use, and LibreOffice for spreadsheets, writing,
> etc. Suggestions and recommendations welcome. As I say, I have no
> knowledge of them at all.

I have two devices for this purpose as well as a few server/desktop systems
that operate 24/7.

First is a Samsung tablet a Galaxy Tab A with 16Gb storage, bought to
attend council meeting and storing planning applications although the small
screen size of 11" does make it sometimes difficult to see but so far only
used a handful of times.

Second a Coda 11.7" laptop bought via one of the TV sales channels (22) for
around 230 pounds and runs Windows 10 that is kept up to date. I also use
this to back up my photos taken with a DSLR camera when going on holiday
and no not for almost two years :(

It is plenty fast enough for that and web browsing and picking up emails
etc and small enough to go into a small pouch or a protected back pack.

My main 24/7 system server runs Linux (Mageia v8) along with various
services such as BBS, web server, ftp and some others as well as an access
point into a mainframe (just to remind myself of how) since retiring.

Out of the above two options I have (in addition to the bigger kit) I
prefer the baby laptop and yes I do have a 16" one to a lot higher spec
with a price to match.

The draw back for the tablet is size but for very many people that's the
selling point along with it running under Android but every to their own
etc.

If you are interested I am willing to sell the tablet as I do not use it,
along with a protected flip case say for 180 pounds inc P&P (UK only).

This said I would still suggest a small laptop as it has a built in
keyboard but the drawback it is bigger than the tablet.

Vincent

Hatfield, UK.

Re: Tablet choice

<20211003165507.11c7a325@devuan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=525&group=uk.comp.os.linux#525

From: gene...@musically.me.uk (Folderol)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:55:07 +0100
 by: Folderol - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 15:55 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 15:31:09 +0100
"Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

>My main 24/7 system server runs Linux (Mageia v8) along with various
>services such as BBS, web server, ftp and some others as well as an access
>point into a mainframe (just to remind myself of how) since retiring.
>
>Out of the above two options I have (in addition to the bigger kit) I
>prefer the baby laptop and yes I do have a 16" one to a lot higher spec
>with a price to match.
>
>The draw back for the tablet is size but for very many people that's the
>selling point along with it running under Android but every to their own
>etc.
>
>If you are interested I am willing to sell the tablet as I do not use it,
>along with a protected flip case say for 180 pounds inc P&P (UK only).
>

>This said I would still suggest a small laptop as it has a built in
>keyboard but the drawback it is bigger than the tablet.

There is an interesting one, getting up steam. Don't know how soon it will be
shipping generally though. It's open souce hardware based around the RasPi
compute module.

https://cutiepi.io/

--
W J G

Re: Tablet choice

<sjcmou$hre$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=526&group=uk.comp.os.linux#526

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 17:46:22 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:46 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 15:31:09 +0100
"Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Davey!
>
> Sunday October 03 2021 11:57, Davey wrote to All:
>
> > I am a Linux (Ubuntu) user, whose only mobile device is a basic
> > dumb mobile 'phone, which has a camera.
snip

> I have two devices for this purpose as well as a few server/desktop
> systems that operate 24/7.
>
> First is a Samsung tablet a Galaxy Tab A with 16Gb storage, bought to
> attend council meeting and storing planning applications although the
> small screen size of 11" does make it sometimes difficult to see but
> so far only used a handful of times.
>
> Second a Coda 11.7" laptop bought via one of the TV sales channels
> (22) for around 230 pounds and runs Windows 10 that is kept up to
> date. I also use this to back up my photos taken with a DSLR camera
> when going on holiday and no not for almost two years :(
>
> It is plenty fast enough for that and web browsing and picking up
> emails etc and small enough to go into a small pouch or a protected
> back pack.
>

> My main 24/7 system server runs Linux (Mageia v8) along with various
> services such as BBS, web server, ftp and some others as well as an
> access point into a mainframe (just to remind myself of how) since
> retiring.
>
> Out of the above two options I have (in addition to the bigger kit) I
> prefer the baby laptop and yes I do have a 16" one to a lot higher
> spec with a price to match.
>
> The draw back for the tablet is size but for very many people that's
> the selling point along with it running under Android but every to
> their own etc.
>
> If you are interested I am willing to sell the tablet as I do not use
> it, along with a protected flip case say for 180 pounds inc P&P (UK
> only).
>

> This said I would still suggest a small laptop as it has a built in
> keyboard but the drawback it is bigger than the tablet.
>

> Vincent
>
> Hatfield, UK.

Excellent advice, much appreciated. Due to the space consideration, I
would prefer a tablet for this purpose, but I appreciate your thinking.
It will mostly just sit in the bedside cabinet drawer, to be used on
those fairly rare occasions when I need e-mail access before I get up
and go downstairs, such as when expecting deliveries from Hermes, Yell,
etc.
..
I have been looking at available tablets, and the Samsung Galaxy does
seem to be a good and popular choice. I am looking at the moment at:
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/nav/pt/tablet-pcs/stsc/32gb/tbltscrn/101-to-11/popops/sale/tabos/android/mc/849689?sortOrder=1

specifically:

SAVE £25
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 32GB SSD 10.4'' Tablet - Gold - SM-T500NZDAEUA

or variants thereof. New, for only £20 more than your used one! Rhank
you for the offer, by the way.
Many thanks for the response.
--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<sjcn09$hre$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=527&group=uk.comp.os.linux#527

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 17:50:17 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:50 UTC

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 13:06:08 -0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 11:57:31 +0100, Davey wrote:
>
> > I am a Linux (Ubuntu) user, whose only mobile device is a basic dumb
> > mobile 'phone, which has a camera.

snip

> > knowledge of them at all.
>
> Does it have to run Linux?

No, but I hate Bill's products on principle!

> If not, could well be worth looking at lightweight laptops, such as
> the Lenovo Yoga or those with names ending in 'book'. There are quite
> a lot on eBay for reasonable prices: around GBP 150. I'm suggesting
> this because you may not get on with using a keyboard thats just an
> image on a touch-sensitive screen: I don't. Some of the Lenovos in
> this category even have the red mouse controller 'joystick' in the
> middle of the keyboard as well as a touch pad.

I hate middle of the keyboard joysticks!

> FWIW in 2017 I got a Lenovo T440 off eBay for GBP 300. It was and is
> in good condition and has been my everyday computer since then,
> running Fedora.
>
> HTH

My reply to Vincent pretty much covers these points. Thanks for the
response.
This is what USENET is for!
--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<1633294203@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=528&group=uk.comp.os.linux#528

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 21:50:03 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:50 UTC

Hello Folderol!

Sunday October 03 2021 16:55, Folderol wrote to All:

> There is an interesting one, getting up steam. Don't know how soon it
> will be shipping generally though. It's open souce hardware based
> around the RasPi compute module.

> https://cutiepi.io/

Looks like it 'might' only use a SD card for storage so I will wait for a
SSD device but as it is a US made product warranty could be a problem :(

Vincent

Re: Tablet choice

<1633294638@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=529&group=uk.comp.os.linux#529

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 21:57:18 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 20:57 UTC

Hello Davey!

Sunday October 03 2021 17:46, Davey wrote to All:

> "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello Davey!
>>
>> Sunday October 03 2021 11:57, Davey wrote to All:
>>
>> > I am a Linux (Ubuntu) user, whose only mobile device is a basic
>> > dumb mobile 'phone, which has a camera.
> snip

>> I have two devices for this purpose as well as a few server/desktop
>> systems that operate 24/7.
>>
>> First is a Samsung tablet a Galaxy Tab A with 16Gb storage, bought
>> to attend council meeting and storing planning applications although
>> the small screen size of 11" does make it sometimes difficult to see
>> but so far only used a handful of times. Second a Coda 11.7" laptop
>> bought via one of the TV sales channels (22) for around 230 pounds
>> and runs Windows 10 that is kept up to date. I also use this to back
>> up my photos taken with a DSLR camera when going on holiday and no
>> not for almost two years :( It is plenty fast enough for that and
>> web browsing and picking up emails etc and small enough to go into a
>> small pouch or a protected back pack. My main 24/7 system server
>> runs Linux (Mageia v8) along with various services such as BBS, web
>> server, ftp and some others as well as an access point into a
>> mainframe (just to remind myself of how) since retiring. Out of the
>> above two options I have (in addition to the bigger kit) I prefer
>> the baby laptop and yes I do have a 16" one to a lot higher spec
>> with a price to match. The draw back for the tablet is size but for
>> very many people that's the selling point along with it running
>> under Android but every to their own etc. If you are interested I
>> am willing to sell the tablet as I do not use it, along with a
>> protected flip case say for 180 pounds inc P&P (UK only). This
>> said I would still suggest a small laptop as it has a built in
>> keyboard but the drawback it is bigger than the tablet. Vincent
>> Hatfield, UK.

> Excellent advice, much appreciated. Due to the space consideration, I
> would prefer a tablet for this purpose, but I appreciate your
> thinking. It will mostly just sit in the bedside cabinet drawer, to be
> used on those fairly rare occasions when I need e-mail access before I
> get up and go downstairs, such as when expecting deliveries from
> Hermes, Yell, etc. .. I have been looking at available tablets, and
> the Samsung Galaxy does seem to be a good and popular choice. I am
> looking at the moment at:
> https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/nav/pt/tablet-pcs/stsc/32gb/tbltscrn/1
> 01-to-11/popops/sale/tabos/android/mc/849689?sortOrder=1

> specifically:

> SAVE £25
> Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 32GB SSD 10.4'' Tablet - Gold - SM-T500NZDAEUA

> or variants thereof. New, for only £20 more than your used one! Rhank
> you for the offer, by the way.
> Many thanks for the response.
> --
> Davey.

Don't forget the case (20 ish) and P&P 5 or more.
Oh, my one will turn off the tablet when closing it over the display.

I allowed 10 for P&P including insurance via the courier.

Vincent

Re: Tablet choice

<sjems4$32r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=530&group=uk.comp.os.linux#530

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:00:20 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:00 UTC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 21:57:18 +0100
> [...]

> > expecting deliveries from Hermes, Yell, etc. .. I have been
> > looking at available tablets, and the Samsung Galaxy does seem to
> > be a good and popular choice. I am looking at the moment at:
> > https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/nav/pt/tablet-pcs/stsc/32gb/tbltscrn/1
> > 01-to-11/popops/sale/tabos/android/mc/849689?sortOrder=1
>
> > specifically:
>
> > SAVE £25
> > Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 32GB SSD 10.4'' Tablet - Gold -
> > SM-T500NZDAEUA
>
> > or variants thereof. New, for only £20 more than your used one!
> > Rhank you for the offer, by the way.
> > Many thanks for the response.
> > --
> > Davey.
>
> Don't forget the case (20 ish) and P&P 5 or more.
> Oh, my one will turn off the tablet when closing it over the display.
>
> I allowed 10 for P&P including insurance via the courier.

If Android is a variant of Linux, why do the websites keep pushing
Norton? I got rid of him years ago, when Norton 360 slowed my PC down
to a crawl.
--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<dPf*IIRvy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=531&group=uk.comp.os.linux#531

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 04 Oct 2021 12:16:27 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:16 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> If Android is a variant of Linux, why do the websites keep pushing
> Norton? I got rid of him years ago, when Norton 360 slowed my PC down
> to a crawl.

Android is not a version of Linux, as most people experience it. It happens
to use its own fork of the Linux kernel, but everything above that level is
completely different. The apps you run are totally different, and you
should be prepared to learn new apps for everything (while you can get
Firefox on Android, it's different to Firefox on desktop, for example).

As to the ads: advertisers lie, especially on the internet.

An error some 'technical' people make when moving to a new platform like
Android is to expect it to work the same as the Windows they're used to,
which means they expect to install antivirus, 'cleaners', 'optimisers' etc.
It isn't Windows. Antivirus generally isn't very effective on Windows and
third-party AV is looking more and more like malware these days - likewise
the 'cleaners' are of dubious provenance and solving a problem that doesn't
exist.

It isn't Windows, and it isn't Linux either. It's different.

Theo

Re: Tablet choice

<874k9x6kd8.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=532&group=uk.comp.os.linux#532

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 13:32:35 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:32 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>> If Android is a variant of Linux, why do the websites keep pushing
>> Norton? I got rid of him years ago, when Norton 360 slowed my PC down
>> to a crawl.
>
> Android is not a version of Linux, as most people experience it. It
> happens to use its own fork of the Linux kernel, but everything above
> that level is completely different. The apps you run are totally
> different, and you should be prepared to learn new apps for everything
> (while you can get Firefox on Android, it's different to Firefox on
> desktop, for example).
>
> As to the ads: advertisers lie, especially on the internet.
>
> An error some 'technical' people make when moving to a new platform like
> Android is to expect it to work the same as the Windows they're used to,
> which means they expect to install antivirus, 'cleaners', 'optimisers' etc.
> It isn't Windows. Antivirus generally isn't very effective on Windows and
> third-party AV is looking more and more like malware these days - likewise
> the 'cleaners' are of dubious provenance and solving a problem that doesn't
> exist.

....also Windows has had antivirus built in since (IIRC) Vista. The
entire 3rd party AV industry should have found something better to do
with their time at that point.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Tablet choice

<sjetjv$hm0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=533&group=uk.comp.os.linux#533

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 13:55:26 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:55 UTC

On 04 Oct 2021 12:16:27 +0100 (BST)
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > If Android is a variant of Linux, why do the websites keep pushing
> > Norton? I got rid of him years ago, when Norton 360 slowed my PC
> > down to a crawl.
>
> Android is not a version of Linux, as most people experience it. It
> happens to use its own fork of the Linux kernel, but everything above
> that level is completely different. The apps you run are totally
> different, and you should be prepared to learn new apps for
> everything (while you can get Firefox on Android, it's different to
> Firefox on desktop, for example).
>
> As to the ads: advertisers lie, especially on the internet.
>
> An error some 'technical' people make when moving to a new platform
> like Android is to expect it to work the same as the Windows they're
> used to, which means they expect to install antivirus, 'cleaners',
> 'optimisers' etc. It isn't Windows. Antivirus generally isn't very
> effective on Windows and third-party AV is looking more and more like
> malware these days - likewise the 'cleaners' are of dubious
> provenance and solving a problem that doesn't exist.
>
> It isn't Windows, and it isn't Linux either. It's different.
>
> Theo

Ok. I don't care if it resembles Windows or not, I don't do Windows,
but I will expect a different experience to Ubuntu when/if I take the
plunge.
Thanks.
--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<1633361095@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=534&group=uk.comp.os.linux#534

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 16:24:55 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 15:24 UTC

Hello Davey!

Monday October 04 2021 12:00, Davey wrote to All:

> If Android is a variant of Linux, why do the websites keep pushing
> Norton? I got rid of him years ago, when Norton 360 slowed my PC down
> to a crawl.
> --
> Davey.

A variant yes but NOT the same - treat it as a different O/S.

As for Norton or other anti virus well that depends on what you are doing
with your tablet/phone.

As I do not use them for reading emails etc I only use the inbuilt tools
but would, if needed use clam or AVG as Norton and friends are heavy users
of CPU and take over the system so I keep well clear of such.

For Linux I like clam (with freshclam) but it can output wrong positives
some times.

Vincent

Re: Tablet choice

<1633381878@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=535&group=uk.comp.os.linux#535

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 22:11:18 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 21:11 UTC

Hello Davey!

Monday October 04 2021 13:55, Davey wrote to All:

>> It isn't Windows, and it isn't Linux either. It's different.
>>
>> Theo

> Ok. I don't care if it resembles Windows or not, I don't do Windows,
> but I will expect a different experience to Ubuntu when/if I take the
> plunge.

You will !

Vincent

Re: Tablet choice

<sjhjbm$1uue$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=536&group=uk.comp.os.linux#536

From: Tom.s...@spam.com (Tom)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:18:45 +0100
 by: Tom - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 13:18 UTC

On 04/10/2021 13:32, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> ...also Windows has had antivirus built in since (IIRC) Vista. The
> entire 3rd party AV industry should have found something better to do
> with their time at that point.

Maybe not... Developing redundant Windows AV seems better than: rape,
murder, tax evasion, crypto and getting offed by the CIA.

----
John McAfee
"father of many, loved by few".

Re: Tablet choice

<sjmb8d$pci$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=537&group=uk.comp.os.linux#537

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:31:09 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 08:31 UTC

On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 22:11:18 +0100
"Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Davey!
>
> Monday October 04 2021 13:55, Davey wrote to All:
>
> >> It isn't Windows, and it isn't Linux either. It's different.
> >>
> >> Theo
>
> > Ok. I don't care if it resembles Windows or not, I don't do
> > Windows, but I will expect a different experience to Ubuntu
> > when/if I take the plunge.
>

> You will !
>

> Vincent

More thoughts. I had not thought about it before, but it would be very
useful if the tablet I finally get could also talk to the internet of
its own accord, ie with a mobile connection. So it would need a SIM
slot, and the Galaxy A 7 Tab I am looking at does not.
I am now looking at Connectivity via WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular,
which I think is the correct terminology. Sounds like the USA term for
'mobile.' The Galaxy is around £200, just fine, with extra for the case
no problem, that will be similar whatever unit I get.
Any thoughts on this extra spec. are welcome. Some of the website
comparison charts are vague or even empty when defining Connectivity
for the tablets they sell.
Finally, how do you select the right SIM? I once bought one at Tesco
for a dongle I have, and it turned out to not be suitable for some
reason, but I could not tell that from reading the blurb on the
packet.

Thanks for discussions and help.

--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<sjmq2m$4pa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=538&group=uk.comp.os.linux#538

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:44:02 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 12:44 UTC

On 07/10/2021 09:31, Davey wrote:

> More thoughts. I had not thought about it before, but it would be very
> useful if the tablet I finally get could also talk to the internet of
> its own accord, ie with a mobile connection. So it would need a SIM
> slot, and the Galaxy A 7 Tab I am looking at does not.

Some people call these phablets, though despite having one it's not an
expression I would normally use. Mine's a Samsung SM-T719, several
years old now. As it happens there's a 'seller refurbished' one on eBay
ATM (no connection with me at all):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334159181305

When reading reviews of the model, some people complained that they
would plug it in and it wouldn't charge. Mine has never had this
problem, though an experience with my then mobile, another Samsung with
the same connector, suggested to me how the above fault might come
about. I had it charging perched on the arm of a sofa, but caught the
lead accidentally as I got up, knocking it off onto the floor.
Subsequently the connector from that particular charger was very
unreliable in that particular phone, a problem which I solved by using a
different charger for it, until eventually it died anyway, see below.
The moral seems to be not to have any sort of accident while the phone
is plugged into a charger. Leave it alone on a flat surface like a desk
or table, do not try to use it while charging, and keep the lead out of
the way of getting accidentally caught.

Like you, I thought it would be wise to have a tablet with mobile
connectivity, as a backup in case my mobile packed up, which two years
later it did! As you suggest, most tablets do not have mobile
connectivity, only WiFi, Bluetooth, etc, and I could only find the
equivalent model *WITHOUT* mobile connectivity in the UK Samsung website
store, so instead I got mine through Amazon from, IMS, Germany, which
was fine, particularly, as I tried to check before, the charger had the
correct UK plug. The model with mobile connectivity cost about £60 more
than the model without, as events proved, well worth it.

I also brought a jacket for it, which I recommend, to help protect the
camera lens, the one on the mobile having got scratched resulting in
slightly blurred pictures. The jacket engages with two connectors on
the back of the tablet, and the front has a magnetic latch, such that
when you open it, the screen turns on automatically. The front can also
fold into a triangular tube behind the tablet, like a Toblerone tube,
and act a stand.

The only aspects of it that I'm disappointed with are the lack of a
flash unit for the camera, which was unexpected as I hadn't noticed that
from the specs, and that, predictably, there is no way that the tablet
will fit into a trouser pocket, it will fit into the map pocket of an
outdoor jacket, but virtually nothing else. For that reason I still
miss my phone.

Apart from the above, I'm pleased and very satisfied with it.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Tablet choice

<1633611621@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=539&group=uk.comp.os.linux#539

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 14:00:21 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:00 UTC

Hello Davey!

Thursday October 07 2021 09:31, Davey wrote to All:

> More thoughts. I had not thought about it before, but it would be very
> useful if the tablet I finally get could also talk to the internet of
> its own accord, ie with a mobile connection. So it would need a SIM
> slot, and the Galaxy A 7 Tab I am looking at does not.
> I am now looking at Connectivity via WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular,
> which I think is the correct terminology. Sounds like the USA term for
> 'mobile.' The Galaxy is around £200, just fine, with extra for the
> case no problem, that will be similar whatever unit I get. Any
> thoughts on this extra spec. are welcome. Some of the
> website comparison charts are vague or even empty when defining
> Connectivity for the tablets they sell. Finally, how do you select the
> right SIM? I once bought one at Tesco for a dongle I have, and it
> turned out to not be suitable for some reason, but I could not tell
> that from reading the blurb on the packet.

> Thanks for discussions and help.

Are you sure you need a inbuilt mobile phone / sim connection within the
tablet.

Here I use Wifi at the house and if needed a Hotspot say in a pub,
restaurant etc and no, not with the tablet as it is fairly used if at all
but I do some times use the mobile phone and that is only set to use wifi
as it is a PAYG service without data turned on as that costs 10p per Meg.

I am not a high user of a mobile other than a some time user despite having
one for over 40 years.

Vincent

Re: Tablet choice

<sjmsmk$jdq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=540&group=uk.comp.os.linux#540

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:28:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:28 UTC

On 2021-10-07, Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 22:11:18 +0100
> "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Ok. I don't care if it resembles Windows or not, I don't do
>> > Windows, but I will expect a different experience to Ubuntu
>> > when/if I take the plunge.
>>

>> You will !
>>

>> Vincent
>>

> More thoughts. I had not thought about it before, but it would be very
> useful if the tablet I finally get could also talk to the internet of

I believe all tablets can talk to the internet via wifi.

> its own accord, ie with a mobile connection. So it would need a SIM

Why would it need a sim slot?

> slot, and the Galaxy A 7 Tab I am looking at does not.
> I am now looking at Connectivity via WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular,
> which I think is the correct terminology. Sounds like the USA term for
> 'mobile.' The Galaxy is around £200, just fine, with extra for the case
> no problem, that will be similar whatever unit I get.
> Any thoughts on this extra spec. are welcome. Some of the website
> comparison charts are vague or even empty when defining Connectivity
> for the tablets they sell.
> Finally, how do you select the right SIM? I once bought one at Tesco

I think you are confused, but am not sure exactly how.

> for a dongle I have, and it turned out to not be suitable for some
> reason, but I could not tell that from reading the blurb on the
> packet.
>
> Thanks for discussions and help.

Re: Tablet choice

<sjmttt$pib$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=541&group=uk.comp.os.linux#541

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 14:49:48 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:49 UTC

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:28:52 -0000 (UTC)
William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:

> > More thoughts. I had not thought about it before, but it would be
> > very useful if the tablet I finally get could also talk to the
> > internet of
>
> I believe all tablets can talk to the internet via wifi.

If there is a hotspot close by, but not if not, I believe.

> > its own accord, ie with a mobile connection. So it would need a
> > SIM
>
> Why would it need a sim slot?
To connect to a mobile network.

> > slot, and the Galaxy A 7 Tab I am looking at does not.
> > I am now looking at Connectivity via WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular,
> > which I think is the correct terminology. Sounds like the USA term
> > for 'mobile.' The Galaxy is around £200, just fine, with extra for
> > the case no problem, that will be similar whatever unit I get.
> > Any thoughts on this extra spec. are welcome. Some of the website
> > comparison charts are vague or even empty when defining Connectivity
> > for the tablets they sell.
> > Finally, how do you select the right SIM? I once bought one at
> > Tesco
>
> I think you are confused, but am not sure exactly how.
I am confused, but that is the problem. I need un-confusing by
learning how to tell from the packet description if a SIM is useable for
a certain device and the required connections. The one I described from
Tesco was a 'Three' SIM (some 3 years ago now), and when I put it into
my Huawei PC dongle, it would not connect to the internet. To 'Three',
yes, but no further. 'Three' said when I asked that it was not a
suitable SIM for what I needed, and offered to sell me a suitable
one, but did not elaborate on how to select the correct one the next
time.
--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<sjmubb$pib$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=542&group=uk.comp.os.linux#542

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 14:56:58 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:56 UTC

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:44:02 +0100
Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

> Some people call these phablets, though despite having one it's not
> an expression I would normally use. Mine's a Samsung SM-T719,
> several years old now. As it happens there's a 'seller refurbished'
> one on eBay ATM (no connection with me at all):
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334159181305
>
> When reading reviews of the model, some people complained that they
> would plug it in and it wouldn't charge. Mine has never had this
> problem, though an experience with my then mobile, another Samsung
> with the same connector, suggested to me how the above fault might
> come about. I had it charging perched on the arm of a sofa, but
> caught the lead accidentally as I got up, knocking it off onto the
> floor. Subsequently the connector from that particular charger was
> very unreliable in that particular phone, a problem which I solved by
> using a different charger for it, until eventually it died anyway,
> see below. The moral seems to be not to have any sort of accident
> while the phone is plugged into a charger. Leave it alone on a flat
> surface like a desk or table, do not try to use it while charging,
> and keep the lead out of the way of getting accidentally caught.
>
> Like you, I thought it would be wise to have a tablet with mobile
> connectivity, as a backup in case my mobile packed up, which two
> years later it did! As you suggest, most tablets do not have mobile
> connectivity, only WiFi, Bluetooth, etc, and I could only find the
> equivalent model *WITHOUT* mobile connectivity in the UK Samsung
> website store, so instead I got mine through Amazon from, IMS,
> Germany, which was fine, particularly, as I tried to check before,
> the charger had the correct UK plug. The model with mobile
> connectivity cost about £60 more than the model without, as events
> proved, well worth it.
>
> I also brought a jacket for it, which I recommend, to help protect
> the camera lens, the one on the mobile having got scratched resulting
> in slightly blurred pictures. The jacket engages with two connectors
> on the back of the tablet, and the front has a magnetic latch, such
> that when you open it, the screen turns on automatically. The front
> can also fold into a triangular tube behind the tablet, like a
> Toblerone tube, and act a stand.
>
> The only aspects of it that I'm disappointed with are the lack of a
> flash unit for the camera, which was unexpected as I hadn't noticed
> that from the specs, and that, predictably, there is no way that the
> tablet will fit into a trouser pocket, it will fit into the map
> pocket of an outdoor jacket, but virtually nothing else. For that
> reason I still miss my phone.
>
> Apart from the above, I'm pleased and very satisfied with it.
>
> --

Thanks for that review. The reason I am looking for mobile connection
is that we occasionally visit a place near London, a flat in a private
house, with no public WiFi, and taking a tablet instead of lugging a
laptop around to there would be much easier. My mobile is a dumb
'phone, but it does what I need, to make emergency calls when on the
road, and to take photos if required. I checked yesterday, despite
having an icons for e-mail on the screen, it can't do anything
internet, so tethering is put of the question!
--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<sjn525$929$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=543&group=uk.comp.os.linux#543

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 15:51:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 15:51 UTC

On 2021-10-07, Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:28:52 -0000 (UTC)
> William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> > More thoughts. I had not thought about it before, but it would be
>> > very useful if the tablet I finally get could also talk to the
>> > internet of
>>
>> I believe all tablets can talk to the internet via wifi.
>>
> If there is a hotspot close by, but not if not, I believe.

If there is a wireless network that you can connect to, yes. Youhave not
told us what you want. If it is to use at home, use your home wireless
network. If you want to go to ulan bator, and still connect, they you
will need sim which can connect to a DATA network, not a phone network.
And the chances of your say british sim being able to connect to a
network in Ulan Bator is low.

>> > its own accord, ie with a mobile connection. So it would need a
>> > SIM
>>
>> Why would it need a sim slot?
> To connect to a mobile network.

So, your tablet needs to operate as a phone, as well as a tablet, and
you need to pay some phone provider to supply you with a data
connection.

>> > slot, and the Galaxy A 7 Tab I am looking at does not.
>> > I am now looking at Connectivity via WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular,

What you were describing seemes to me to be cellular.

>> > which I think is the correct terminology. Sounds like the USA term
>> > for 'mobile.' The Galaxy is around £200, just fine, with extra for
>> > the case no problem, that will be similar whatever unit I get.

Plus 20 pounds a month for the cellular/mobile phone service.
>> > Any thoughts on this extra spec. are welcome. Some of the website
>> > comparison charts are vague or even empty when defining Connectivity
>> > for the tablets they sell.
>> > Finally, how do you select the right SIM? I once bought one at
>> > Tesco
>>
>> I think you are confused, but am not sure exactly how.
> I am confused, but that is the problem. I need un-confusing by
> learning how to tell from the packet description if a SIM is useable for
> a certain device and the required connections. The one I described from
> Tesco was a 'Three' SIM (some 3 years ago now), and when I put it into
> my Huawei PC dongle, it would not connect to the internet.
It was probably a voice connection without data.
> yes, but no further. 'Three' said when I asked that it was not a
> suitable SIM for what I needed, and offered to sell me a suitable
> one, but did not elaborate on how to select the correct one the next
> time.

It is hard to figure out what the problem was with the info you have
given.

Re: Tablet choice

<sjn5bl$929$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=544&group=uk.comp.os.linux#544

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 15:56:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 15:56 UTC

On 2021-10-07, Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>> that when you open it, the screen turns on automatically. The front
>> can also fold into a triangular tube behind the tablet, like a
>> Toblerone tube, and act a stand.
>>
>> The only aspects of it that I'm disappointed with are the lack of a
>> flash unit for the camera, which was unexpected as I hadn't noticed
>> that from the specs, and that, predictably, there is no way that the
>> tablet will fit into a trouser pocket, it will fit into the map
>> pocket of an outdoor jacket, but virtually nothing else. For that
>> reason I still miss my phone.
>>
>> Apart from the above, I'm pleased and very satisfied with it.
>>
>> --
>
> Thanks for that review. The reason I am looking for mobile connection
> is that we occasionally visit a place near London, a flat in a private
> house, with no public WiFi, and taking a tablet instead of lugging a

but the house probably has private wifi, so you need the wifi
password, and then use the tablet to connect to the wifi. Ask the people
in the house what the password is and if you can use their wifi. Do you
really want to pay 20 pounds a month to get the data so that you can use
that on the occasions you visit that house?

> laptop around to there would be much easier. My mobile is a dumb

IF you can use your laptop there, which will use the wifi connection,
then you can use almost any tablet to connect to that same wifi.

> 'phone, but it does what I need, to make emergency calls when on the
> road, and to take photos if required. I checked yesterday, despite
> having an icons for e-mail on the screen, it can't do anything
> internet, so tethering is put of the question!

Your phone plan probably does not include data.

Re: Tablet choice

<sjn8s6$4rf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=545&group=uk.comp.os.linux#545

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 17:56:38 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:56 UTC

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 15:56:37 -0000 (UTC)
William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:

> > Thanks for that review. The reason I am looking for mobile
> > connection is that we occasionally visit a place near London, a
> > flat in a private house, with no public WiFi, and taking a tablet
> > instead of lugging a
>
> but the house probably has private wifi, so you need the wifi
> password, and then use the tablet to connect to the wifi. Ask the
> people in the house what the password is and if you can use their
> wifi. Do you really want to pay 20 pounds a month to get the data so
> that you can use that on the occasions you visit that house?
It is a large old house that is divided into five totally separate
flats, there is no private entity to have house-wide WiFi.

> > laptop around to there would be much easier. My mobile is a dumb
>
> IF you can use your laptop there, which will use the wifi connection,
> then you can use almost any tablet to connect to that same wifi.

When I have used my laptop there, it was with the afore-mentioned
dongle and a SIM that worked. No available Wifi in the house.

> > 'phone, but it does what I need, to make emergency calls when on the
> > road, and to take photos if required. I checked yesterday, despite
> > having an icons for e-mail on the screen, it can't do anything
> > internet, so tethering is put of the question!
>
> Your phone plan probably does not include data.
The 'phone online manual says it can't do e-mail, as in: 'Not
supported'. For a cost some years ago of £12, I can't complain.
--
Davey.

Re: Tablet choice

<aPf*fN8vy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=546&group=uk.comp.os.linux#546

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 07 Oct 2021 17:57:56 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:57 UTC

William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-10-07, Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> >> I believe all tablets can talk to the internet via wifi.
> >>
> > If there is a hotspot close by, but not if not, I believe.
>
> If there is a wireless network that you can connect to, yes. Youhave not
> told us what you want. If it is to use at home, use your home wireless
> network. If you want to go to ulan bator, and still connect, they you
> will need sim which can connect to a DATA network, not a phone network.
> And the chances of your say british sim being able to connect to a
> network in Ulan Bator is low.

I think you're confusing things further. There's no difference between
'phone' and 'data' networks - they're all 'mobile' aka 'cellular' aka 'LTE'
networks.

Nobody mentioned going to Ulan Bator. The only mention was London, and the
options are:

a) find out the password for the wifi in whatever place he's staying. That
assumes that find-out-able, and not (for example) in a hotel where they
charge £10 a day for internet. It isn't automatic that the OP would be
allowed on whatever wifi network exists in the place they're staying, so we
can't presume this is definitely possible.

b) use the cellular/LTE functionality in the OP's tablet to connect.
This also works anywhere, eg in the middle of a park, where there is no wifi
network. But it is an extra cost (see below).

> So, your tablet needs to operate as a phone, as well as a tablet, and
> you need to pay some phone provider to supply you with a data
> connection.

It is not necessary to use it as a phone, merely to access mobile data. The
OP doesn't say they want to make phone calls with it. Some tablets can use
mobile data but not make phone calls.

> What you were describing seemes to me to be cellular.

Yes. Also 'LTE', '4G' or '5G' depending on what level of cellular support
it has. Every tablet has wifi and Bluetooth so that typically isn't listed
in the headline description.

> Plus 20 pounds a month for the cellular/mobile phone service.

You can get service for 1p/MB on PAYG, or about £5 in one-off bundles for
some volume of data. There's no need to take out a monthly contract if you
don't want to, and it may not make sense for the OP's use case.
(you can also get contracts you can 'pause' and then unpause when you want
to use them, starting at £6/month - from Smarty)

It isn't free like wifi usually is, but the cost does scale with use.

> > I am confused, but that is the problem. I need un-confusing by
> > learning how to tell from the packet description if a SIM is useable for
> > a certain device and the required connections. The one I described from
> > Tesco was a 'Three' SIM (some 3 years ago now), and when I put it into
> > my Huawei PC dongle, it would not connect to the internet.

In general, any SIM will work in a tablet. The main thing is getting one to
physically fit (nowadays all new SIMs are multi-size, so you just push out
the size you want from the carrier). There is a bit of setup that most
tablets should handle automatically. And then it's just down to tariff.

(There is also a compatibility complication with different 4G/5G networks if
you travel abroad. That's not a problem for the OP's situation)

> It is hard to figure out what the problem was with the info you have
> given.

Seems straightforward to me.

To the OP, it seems the Android tablet market has been neglected of late.
There's:

Samsung
Xiaomi
Lenovo
Amazon Fire (which don't allow access to apps on the Play Store and so
aren't 'full' Android, although there are workarounds)
Various budget no-brands bought on ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress/etc, often of junk
quality although maybe fine for light use

There are some new releases coming out - this links to some articles:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/nokia-t20-is-a-250-10-4-inch-android-tablet-with-a-big-battery/
You would need to look for the LTE/4G/5G versions, if available.

I'm assuming the 'large phone' form factor (roughly 150 x 75mm) is too
small?

My other suggestion would be to look at the iPad. The iPad ecosystem is
much better developed in terms of tablet apps, where Android has been
neglected. If you're going to relearn all your apps anyway it doesn't seem
a huge difference to learn i(Pad)OS ones rather than Android. Android
doesn't integrate a whole lot better with Linux than iOS does, so they're
about even on that score.

The one thing you might not like about iPadOS is the filesystem is largely
hidden from apps, so you don't 'open' files saved by a different app, you
'share' from one app to another. I think that means for accessing your NAS
you run an SMB client app and then share into an editor, and then the file
can be saved back to the NAS (I think, I haven't actually tried this).
There's a 'Files' app to manage this, but it still has holes if you live in
a file-based workflow.

Apple hardware is more expensive, especially if you want LTE, but it's
supported with OS updates for much longer (5+ years, compared to often rapid
abandonment with Android). What I'd suggest is looking at refurb models
which are often a lot cheaper when a year or so old, and in generally good
condition with warranty. For example:
https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/apple-ipad-store

(another thing you might not like about Apple is they don't come with SD
card slots for extra storage, although that's not a given on Android devices
either)

If anyone you know has an Android or iOS phone you might be able to try them
to see how you get on with them.

Theo