Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 06:28:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Hunt launched for hit-and-run van driver after cyclist left seriously injured
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 14:28 UTC

Police are on the hunt for a hit-and-run van driver after a cyclist was knocked off his bicycle and left seriously injured in the road.

Police and paramedics rushed to the scene in Cheam Road, Ewell, Surrey, on Sunday evening after the collision.

The cyclist, who had sustained serious injuries in the collision, was taken to hospital, where he remains today.

A Surrey Police spokesman said officers were seeking the white van driver, which hit the rider and then sped off from the scene.

"Officers were called to reports of a collision between a white van and a cyclist on Cheam Road, Ewell, at around 9.30pm yesterday evening,” a statement from police read.

“The driver of the van failed to stop at the scene.
Police are still on the hunt for the driver, who fled the scene after the collision.

"The cyclist received serious injuries and is being treated in hospital.

"We are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident, particularly anyone with any dashcam footage of the white van, to contact us straight away.”

The collision occurred at the tail end of the weekend during which changes to the Highway Code were implemented, aiming to boost protection for cyclists and pedestrians.

The new guidance means traffic should give way when pedestrians are crossing or waiting to cross at junctions.

Cyclists are advised to ride in the centre of lanes on quieter roads, in slower-moving traffic, and when approaching junctions, to make themselves as visible as possible.

A hierarchy of road users is also being introduced, meaning drivers will have more responsibility to watch out for people cycling, walking or riding a horse - and cyclists will have more responsibility to be aware of pedestrians.

The new guidelines mean people in charge of vehicles which can cause the most harm in the event of a collision have the greatest responsibility to look out for other road users.

Turning traffic should now give way when pedestrians are crossing or waiting to cross at junctions.

And motorists will be encouraged to adopt the so-called ‘Dutch Reach’, opening the door next to them with the opposite hand so they look over their shoulder, meaning they’re more likely to spot and less likely to injure passing cyclists and pedestrians.

Another specific rule involving the treatment of cyclists is that drivers travelling at speeds of up to 30mph should leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists.

They should give more space when overtaking at higher speeds.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hunt-launched-hit-run-van-26095593

Re: Hunt launched for hit-and-run van driver after cyclist left seriously injured

<0705088a-0578-45c8-a001-688a67f00646n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5380&group=uk.rec.cycling#5380

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 07:51:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Hunt launched for hit-and-run van driver after cyclist left
seriously injured
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:51 UTC

On Monday, 31 January 2022 at 14:28:38 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Police are on the hunt for a hit-and-run van driver after a cyclist was knocked off his bicycle and left seriously injured in the road.
>
> Police and paramedics rushed to the scene in Cheam Road, Ewell, Surrey, on Sunday evening after the collision.
>
> The cyclist, who had sustained serious injuries in the collision, was taken to hospital, where he remains today.
>
> A Surrey Police spokesman said officers were seeking the white van driver, which hit the rider and then sped off from the scene.
>
> "Officers were called to reports of a collision between a white van and a cyclist on Cheam Road, Ewell, at around 9.30pm yesterday evening,” a statement from police read.
>
> “The driver of the van failed to stop at the scene.
> Police are still on the hunt for the driver, who fled the scene after the collision.
>
> "The cyclist received serious injuries and is being treated in hospital.
>
> "We are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident, particularly anyone with any dashcam footage of the white van, to contact us straight away.”
>
> The collision occurred at the tail end of the weekend during which changes to the Highway Code were implemented, aiming to boost protection for cyclists and pedestrians.
>
> The new guidance means traffic should give way when pedestrians are crossing or waiting to cross at junctions.
>

> Cyclists are advised to ride in the centre of lanes on quieter roads, in slower-moving traffic, and when approaching junctions, to make themselves as visible as possible.
>
> A hierarchy of road users is also being introduced, meaning drivers will have more responsibility to watch out for people cycling, walking or riding a horse - and cyclists will have more responsibility to be aware of pedestrians.
>
> The new guidelines mean people in charge of vehicles which can cause the most harm in the event of a collision have the greatest responsibility to look out for other road users.
>
> Turning traffic should now give way when pedestrians are crossing or waiting to cross at junctions.
>
> And motorists will be encouraged to adopt the so-called ‘Dutch Reach’, opening the door next to them with the opposite hand so they look over their shoulder, meaning they’re more likely to spot and less likely to injure passing cyclists and pedestrians.
>
> Another specific rule involving the treatment of cyclists is that drivers travelling at speeds of up to 30mph should leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists.
>
> They should give more space when overtaking at higher speeds.
>
> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hunt-launched-hit-run-van-26095593

If only he was wearing a helmet. That way the van would have been unable to penetrate the force field.
Or maybe the criminal had a new Highway Code in the vehicle because publishing new rules causes motorists to change their decades of built in ' the roads are for cars' habits.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Hunt launched for hit-and-run van driver after cyclist left seriously injured