Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 04:09:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Quickly deleted road tax poll doesn't go to plan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 12:09 UTC

Road tax, eh. I imagine we'll still be talking about it on the live blog in 2050...

By that point technology will probably be so advanced we'll upload the blog directly to your minds (it'll save you having to read my ramblings) and yet someone out there will almost certainly still be spouting about cyclists paying road tax...

Today's instance is more amusing than the usual angry keyboard warrior replying to an outrageous police tweet telling them to look out for cyclists. It involves a poll, because if there's one thing Britain loves, it's a yes/no vote...

Susan reckoned she'd put it to the people — 'As cyclists are given more of a priority on the roads. I'm asking, should they pay a road tax or at least some sort insurance? (This would be for public roads only, not country parks or similar).'

Now, you've probably already seen the result of said poll above, but for some reason we don't think it quite went the way Susan was expecting. I say that because it has now been deleted and her account set to private...

The result? 7 per cent in favour of a road tax for cyclists or some sort of insurance, 92 per cent against it, and 1 per cent for only a road tax or unsure.

Maybe there'll be a second vote...

Time for some reaction...Tim gets us underway with an old favourite..

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-1-february-2022-289971#live-blog-item-31359